The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I so need to get a dashcam fitted to smoll car. And a big horn.

First an MOT exempt* transporter switches lanes without indicating or looking and tries to squash me. Picked up my lady, driving down the road and a UPS driver runs out from between parked cars like a five year old. Missed him by a gnats bollock somehow. 10 mins later a man in a van decides give way is optional when his minor road meets my major road, more tyre flat spotting. Then coming back lost out on you've been framed money with another transporter that couldn't decide if he wanted to stay on the m621 so went in the off lane, back on, off, back on, and then almost into the armco in a final off manoeuvre. 

I've got to the stage now that I won't drive a car without a dashcam. The last couple of  times I've gone to collect a new* car from afar I've taken mine in the bag and I hook it up before I hit the road home.
There are just too many brain dead fucktards out there in charge of vehicles.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:54 AM, Ghosty said:

Smart motorway grump.
Somewhere on the M42 or M6 going north, smart section, gantries off, 70mph. 

I approach a gantry that's lit up, read it, 50mph, workforce in road. Ok, start engine braking.  Then suddenly, as the van in front of me passes under the gantry... 

flash

Fucking camera on the gantry, and it was enforcing the 50mph limit at the exact point it came into force, even though it was nigh on impossible to slow a car down in the given space safely, from where the speed limit was legible to the camera without causing an accident. 
I somehow managed to slam on the anchors hard enough that I didn't set the speed camera off or cause an accident, but WTF? That's just utter bullshit. 
It's also rather fortuitous that on Friday morning the ABS was made to work on the Civic with a new sensor - I bought the car with the ABS light on.... 

Smart motorways are fucking hellspawn. Only the British etc. 

How far before the gantry wasn't it showing 50 ?  

6 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

I've got to the stage now that I won't drive a car without a dashcam. The last couple of  times I've gone to collect a new* car from afar I've taken mine in the bag and I hook it up before I hit the road home.
There are just too many brain dead fucktards out there in charge of vehicles.

It's odd, but since I fitted mine, I haven't recorded any fuckwittery at all. Not a single thing. Beforehand, fuckwittery seen on every drive.

59 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Motherfucker!

My girlfriend is showing CV19 symptoms, but there aren't any tests available. 

So that means 14 days isolation for both of us. 

Fucksake. 

Tip from someone who's been through this shitshow recently - try different postcodes on the testing website. 

I live in Surrey, couldn't get a test based on my postcode, put in a West London postcode and got offered a test in Chessington.  Nobody at the test centre checks your postcode, just your name.

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

Motherfucker!

Fucksake. 

I don't even get out of work because I work from home ??

We had this nonsense too a couple weeks ago before they set a 70 mile limit, which is why nothing showed up on yours.

We got told the nearest test centre was 83 miles away in Inverness, when I told the guy on the phone that there is a test centre in Aberdeen, he said to wait until after 8pm when it shuts, and then the system will refresh and load all of the next days slots.

So try again tonight for an appointment tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder whose bright idea it was to have this all managed* by algorithm?

The same bastard that designed the EU settled status scheme... I helped my partner apply for hers the other night. It came back saying they dont have enough national insurance records over the last 5 years, so please provide evidence to cover a total of 7 years... Waiting to hear back from a human caseworker now...

4 minutes ago, yohan said:

The same bastard that designed the EU settled status scheme... I helped my partner apply for hers the other night. It came back saying they dont have enough national insurance records over the last 5 years, so please provide evidence to cover a total of 7 years... Waiting to hear back from a human caseworker now...

If she comes unstuck try contacting JCWI - Joint Council for the Welfare o Immigrants, they do some good work in this area or contact www.settled.org.uk which is run by an ex colleague of mine..

1 hour ago, yohan said:

Ah.....the EUSS online system. I had a client who had similar problems - he derived almost all of his considerable income from his home country Germany but lived in the UK. The online system couldn't cope with this idea. Took a while to have it resolved but we got there in the end.

Having been in immigration work for over 20 years, I've seen that the Home Office's capacity for feck-ups is famous*. It never used to be like this before 1999, when the Home Office assumed full control of what was then the Immigration & Nationality Directorate. After that, everything went downhill as the Home Office culture of secrecy turned I&ND into something less approachable and a lot less accountable. The multi-millions spent on rebranding it variously as the Border & Immigration Agency, then UK Border Agency, and then eventually the current UK Visas & Immigration, was mostly wasted on consultancies.

More recently, they replaced a perfectly good biometric scanning system run by the Post Office with a much more expensive one run by a commercial contractor, Sopra Steria. Clearly someone had pulled a few strings in the Home Office to ensure that their friend got the gig.

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

It's odd, but since I fitted mine, I haven't recorded any fuckwittery at all. Not a single thing. Beforehand, fuckwittery seen on every drive.

I'm glad its not just me that experienced this, I had visions of getting £250 cheques from YBF on a pretty much daily basis, fitted it then literally nothing noteworthy for over 2 years. 

4 hours ago, TheDoctor said:

Motherfucker!

Fucksake. 

I don't even get out of work because I work from home ??

You have a girlfriend?  

Hope she's okay. 

Bloke across the roads father in law died last week.  

His next door neighbour had another fall and a stroke and is now in a nursing home. 

I've arranged to see my Dad. I haven't seen him since Christmas, due to him living 2 hours away in the another country, and Covid fears. 

I have been 'proper poorly' for the last 5 days and have spent so much time laying about whinging and whining that my watch stopped! By way of an explanation: it's an automatic with a full 2 days of power reserve, so if taken off and placed somewhere, it will still be going in 2 days time.

I claim my prize as the most static thing on Earth that can still be considered 'alive'!

4 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

What's that meant to mean? :sad-smiley-005:

She's ok, just coughing loads and run down. We've got a test booked for later today, as she kept trying on the website. 

I made some assumptions about you that may be incorrect. ???????

3 hours ago, Floatylight said:

If she comes unstuck try contacting JCWI - Joint Council for the Welfare o Immigrants, they do some good work in this area or contact www.settled.org.uk which is run by an ex colleague of mine..

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Ah.....the EUSS online system. I had a client who had similar problems - he derived almost all of his considerable income from his home country Germany but lived in the UK. The online system couldn't cope with this idea. Took a while to have it resolved but we got there in the end.

Having been in immigration work for over 20 years, I've seen that the Home Office's capacity for feck-ups is famous*. It never used to be like this before 1999, when the Home Office assumed full control of what was then the Immigration & Nationality Directorate. After that, everything went downhill as the Home Office culture of secrecy turned I&ND into something less approachable and a lot less accountable. The multi-millions spent on rebranding it variously as the Border & Immigration Agency, then UK Border Agency, and then eventually the current UK Visas & Immigration, was mostly wasted on consultancies.

More recently, they replaced a perfectly good biometric scanning system run by the Post Office with a much more expensive one run by a commercial contractor, Sopra Steria. Clearly someone had pulled a few strings in the Home Office to ensure that their friend got the gig.

Thankyou Floatylight and Tadhg Tiogar.

I may well try your reccomendations if I dont have any luck from the home office themselves. Sounds like you guys have alot of experience dealing with us immigrants!

We had a look into getting british citizenship, but very quickly gave up since the amount of paperwork looks like the sole reason for the deforestation of the Amazon rainforests...

4 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I still get them despite the camera. The speciality round here is 'Giving way isn't necessary when I'm only on the main road for a few hundred yards before slamming on the anchors and turning right into the next side street' although I found swapping a K11 Micra for a Land Rover has helped enormously.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The whole of the Civil Service is fucked. HMC&E rebranded as HMRC, SOCA created to be Britains answer to the FBI. Then rebranded as NCA. Same staff, same work.

HMRC's border staff (those you see (or used to see!) at ports and airports) removed from HMRC and integrated into UK Border Force (I think) then moved again into some other rebrand of "Border Something or Other".

No one has ever said why rebrands were needed, nor stated the cost of all of these changes, and things such as new logo'd uniforms, stationary, marked vehicles, payroll etc must run into millions and millions. Whilst all the time implementing "new" pay deals (in effect pay  freezes) pension cutting, and all that goes with it. I'm just glad I retired when I did, as I am sure my open and vocal criticisms of senior staff and the working methods that were introduced by "revolving door" management. They were drafted in from elsewhere and had no idea of what front line staff did to protect society. 

Oddly HMRC staff administered the Furlough scheme, but never got a mention by the Government when they were handing out plaudits to other front line staff.

Rant over.

41 minutes ago, yohan said:

.....We had a look into getting british citizenship, but very quickly gave up since the amount of paperwork looks like the sole reason for the deforestation of the Amazon rainforests...

Whilst it is fine to go no further than settled status or indefinite leave to remain, do remember that this won't necessarily protect you if you are later convicted of an imprisonable offence and end up serving a prison term of 12 months or more. In those cases, a deportation decision is pretty much automatic.

8 hours ago, Stanky said:

I'm glad its not just me that experienced this, I had visions of getting £250 cheques from YBF on a pretty much daily basis, fitted it then literally nothing noteworthy for over 2 years. 

Bit like the power bank I bought from you. Since then no power cuts. I’m happy as it’s obviously working as a talisman.

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Whilst it is fine to go no further than settled status or indefinite leave to remain, do remember that this won't necessarily protect you if you are later convicted of an imprisonable offence and end up serving a prison term of 12 months or more. In those cases, a deportation decision is pretty much automatic.

Ah yes good point. Maybe I should get a car thats difficult to break speed limits and be very uninteresting for all those dashcams. ?

2 minutes ago, Parky said:

At least there are tests occasionally available and people potentially interested in running them,  I was sick with ALL the Covid symptoms back in March but when I tried to get tested, I was told that because I hadn’t been in Wuhan province there was no possible way that I could have Covid 19.  When I explained that viruses had a habit of moving around a bit and I could easily have been exposed (tube trips every day, working in Chinatown, every nationality under the sun wandering the London streets on holiday) I was told that if I hadn’t been to Wuhan, I didn’t have it.  End of.  Things have developed somewhat.

I have a private antibody test next week as part of my emigration efforts.  That might show if I have the antibodies as a result of having had it after all.  I certainly hope so as the thing I had in March was a bastard and I still can’t taste things or see properly.

I would be very interested to hear the results. My kids had such high fevers followed by a cough in february that one of them ended up in hospital, but of course no covid test for him either, cos it wasnt spreading in the country yet...

13 hours ago, New POD said:

How far before the gantry wasn't it showing 50 ?  

50 and camera were on the same gantry, zero distance between them. Up to then it was clear 70mph running in average traffic.
So you had from when you read the gantry to being under it, to react and slow down from 70 to 50, which wasn't possible safely.

33 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

50 and camera were on the same gantry, zero distance between them. Up to then it was clear 70mph running in average traffic.
So you had from when you read the gantry to being under it, to react and slow down from 70 to 50, which wasn't possible safely.

So how far before the gantry could the 50 sign be seen? 

I'm being churlish because recently I've started making sure I'm doing the new lower speed limit by the time I get to the sign. And not increasing my speed until I reach a higher limit sign And not before. 

11 hours ago, Stanky said:

Is your camera visible to others though?  I've noticed that if a camera is visible, people stop acting like a cunt around you.  I had a dashcam very visible in the window for a few weeks.  It didn't work because "cheap chinese shit",  but the way other people drove definitely changed.  I know it didn't change the way I drove as I knew it was dead, although I do wonder if having a working dashcam subconsciously changes the way the owner drives too.