The grumpy thread

outlaw118

34 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Today has been absolutely fucking monstrously, colossally, biblically shit even though no major problems have occurred. 

I really fucking hate my head. 

There's not many other places I can write that. Sorry. Carry on with your thread. 

Some good advice/ support here:

Don’t suffer alone.

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

House boarded up, garage boarded up, grass mowed, all locked down for storm and there's a car come up for sale that I really want but I can't go see it until at least Thursday. So, likelihood is it's gonna sell before then. Arses.

why would you mow the grass before a storm ?

wont the cuttings blow every where

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

why would you mow the grass before a storm ?

wont the cuttings blow every where

Cuttings all over is the least of my concern. 

It rains so much with a storm that the ground is so sodden you can't mow for about a week afterwards, during which time it's usually sunny so the grass grows like crazy.

Cut it now and there's a chance of it not turning into a wild Jurassic Park scene by the time it's dry enough to mow again.

Phil

20 hours ago, PhilA said:

Just to make me cheerful, I've cracked one of my fillings open. Great. 

Nothing like toothache to make someone real happy.

Phil

I cracked a lower molar pre covid lockdown, made an appointment with dentist, cancelled because of lockdown, mid July more fell off, two weeks to get another appointment, morning of appointment had raging continous cough start, cancelled just in case of covid, mid August, extreme pain, saw dentist, couldn't remove because of infection, course of antibiotics, last week appointment to extract, not a lot left to grab hold of, 2 minutes of wriggling, yay it's out, I now have no matching molars and three front teeth missing (due to having my face smashed sideways in a bike crash over twenty years ago, 1 pin and 3 plates holding my face together), this week feels like an infection in my top molar... Here I go again... One bonus my dentist is a fit as fk young lady dentist ?

IMG-20200909-WA0019.thumb.jpeg.623b4eb0ab285da35cafc7bc5f03d84d.jpeg.67569acc5e092d1a297f066462d4d959.jpeg

Smart motorway grump.
Somewhere on the M42 or M6 going north, smart section, gantries off, 70mph. 

I approach a gantry that's lit up, read it, 50mph, workforce in road. Ok, start engine braking.  Then suddenly, as the van in front of me passes under the gantry... 

flash

Fucking camera on the gantry, and it was enforcing the 50mph limit at the exact point it came into force, even though it was nigh on impossible to slow a car down in the given space safely, from where the speed limit was legible to the camera without causing an accident. 
I somehow managed to slam on the anchors hard enough that I didn't set the speed camera off or cause an accident, but WTF? That's just utter bullshit. 
It's also rather fortuitous that on Friday morning the ABS was made to work on the Civic with a new sensor - I bought the car with the ABS light on.... 

Smart motorways are fucking hellspawn. Only the British etc. 

So today I've had a run out in a 2CV for the first time in about 15 years.  I remembered them being huge fun, but had forgotten quite how much (plus actually having some driving experience behind me now probably helps too) fun and what a great noise they make.

Have nearly bought one on several occasions but things just never worked out for one reason or other.

Just had a poke around idly to see what's out there just now.

HOW FLIPPING MUCH?!? 

The first four on Autotrader (yeah, I know it's an expensive place to look but even so...) Are priced higher than I paid for the Pug 107 I bought back in 2009 NEW...and loaded up with quite a few extras.

Last time I looked a couple of years ago there were plenty of £5-7K cars out there, but plenty of decent usable cars in the sort of £2-4K bracket which seems reasonable for a solid car if you aren't too picky about the type of screw heads holding bits of trim on.  But the average price of this evening's findings was £7.5K...Absolutely zip in the reasonable bracket unless you count a solitary £250 example that looks absolutely terminally rotten.

Something tells me that I may have well and truly missed this boat.

Which admittedly isn't maybe the worst thing as right now I need another car about as much as a hole in the head...but it's still depressing!

As is the "I really should thin the fleet out a bit...but really don't want to sell any of them" thought process.

9 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

So today I've had a run out in a 2CV for the first time in about 15 years.  I remembered them being huge fun, but had forgotten quite how much (plus actually having some driving experience behind me now probably helps too) fun and what a great noise they make.

Have nearly bought one on several occasions but things just never worked out for one reason or other.

HOW FLIPPING MUCH?!? 

The first four on Autotrader (yeah, I know it's an expensive place to look but even so...) Are priced higher than I paid for the Pug 107 I bought back in 2009 NEW...and loaded up with quite a few extras.

Last time I looked a couple of years ago there were plenty of £5-7K cars out there, but plenty of decent usable cars in the sort of £2-4K bracket which seems reasonable for a solid car if you aren't too picky about the type of screw heads holding bits of trim on.  But the average price of this evening's findings was £7.5K...Absolutely zip in the reasonable bracket unless you count a solitary £250 example that looks absolutely terminally rotten.

Which admittedly isn't maybe the worst thing as right now I need another car about as much as a hole in the head...but it's still depressing!

As is the "I really should thin the fleet out a bit...but really don't want to sell any of them" thought process.

https://autoshite.com/topic/41818-2cv-will-be-for-sale-soon-placeholder/

here you go :) 

12 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

HOW FLIPPING MUCH?!? 

There's one on here for £reasonable.

Eventually.

Got a fixed penalty notice, £25 increasing to £50 in 14 days or £100 in 28 days.

Doesn't say what for.

No date in the date-line.

Says it must be paid by the 22nd - which is only eight days.

I tried to reply with questions about what, why, where but my email provider (BT) blocked it as spam (so why not on the incoming)?

Smells fishy.

11 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Got a fixed penalty notice, £25 increasing to £50 in 14 days or £100 in 28 days.

Doesn't say what for.

No date in the date-line.

Says it must be paid by the 22nd - which is only eight days.

I tried to reply with questions about what, why, where but my email provider (BT) blocked it as spam (so why not on the incoming)?

Smells fishy.

Rather as I suspected.

Has this in it:

Total cost:
£25

Delivery date:
7:00am - 7:00pm

For the following: the use of a vehicle on a road in the charging area which a charging scheme applies without payment of the appropriate charge, at the date and location started below

If you do not respond before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date of service of this notice a charge certificate may be issued which would increase the penalty charge to £100.

Failure to then pay the increased penalty charge may result in the outstanding balance being registered as a debt in the County Court

You have 14 days beginning with the date of service of this notice to pay the discounted penalty charge of £25. if this is not paid by 22/09/2020 then the full penalty charge of £50 is payable.

If you fail to pay the penalty charge or make representations by 28/09/2020 Charge increases to £100.

Twats!

Good old DVLA. 

The reason I can't find the logbook for the Tourer is that they never issued one. Back in March I only received the green slip from the seller, so had to apply for a logbook as well as tax it at the post office. The application is still stuck in their backlog, due to C****19

So I have to write a letter to DVLA to confirm I've sold it, and the new owner has to apply for a new logbook using form V62.

Do they waive the fee?

Nope! Because 'I should not be selling a vehicle without paperwork'.

I could have applied for a replacement for me and then changed keeper when I received it, but apparently it would take 6-8 weeks at least.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:47 AM, Zelandeth said:

HOW FLIPPING MUCH?!? 

Well... you can have the same sort of fun in an Ami, and - based on my experience - for about half the price of a comparable 2CV.

Spent two hours now trying to print some screen shots needed for tomorrow. Everytime I press "print" the dialogue states I have to save to pdf, which then puts me in a loop. All the solutions I can find on internet show fixes from laptops, and I dont have mine here.

Don't even know why my printer (Brother B210 laser) started to do this! 

Looks like I've got to go to the local computer shop and pay a few Euros for three bits of paper....

The wife loves to show me cars that she says she thinks would be a good project, then not let me go see them- several have come and gone because although slightly tatty, the price had been good. So good that you know the ones that someone gonna snap their hand off for.

"Well next time we can go see it is Thursday" (said Sunday). 

Sure love. Just dangle that in front of me, get my hopes up and then glib tell me well, if it's still there in 5 days you can go look at it.

Most recent one that got my back up was a '62 Thunderbird- non runner dragged out of storage, surface rust but otherwise sound. 

I don't know why she does it.

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Spent two hours now trying to print some screen shots needed for tomorrow. Everytime I press "print" the dialogue states I have to save to pdf, which then puts me in a loop. All the solutions I can find on internet show fixes from laptops, and I dont have mine here.

Don't even know why my printer (Brother B210 laser) started to do this! 

Looks like I've got to go to the local computer shop and pay a few Euros for three bits of paper....

Sounds like you've got save to pdf set as your default printer, if you go into printers is the printer there and set to default?

5 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Sounds like you've got save to pdf set as your default printer, if you go into printers is the printer there and set to default?

I cannot clear it from my phone. I eventually got access to my laptop (running Windows 10) and printed what I needed from there. I cleared the pdf from my list of printers.

Still cant understand how it got on to my list of printers on my phone, which it still is there, and my actual printer which was working perfectly on Sunday, is "greyed" out so I cannot change default to my actual printer.

Fucking pointless waste of time and effort really!!!