The grumpy thread

outlaw118

23 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

How about stop trying to wade into someone else’s problems and giving your reasoned opinions based upon, what by your own words can be misread, misconstrued or taken the wrong way?

The line has been drawn and its already over as far as I’m concerned. You have no fucking idea what went on and how I was thinking at the moment so, with respect, stop trying to stir the pot.

I just wish to move on and forget it all.

So why the fuck did you post about it on a *discussion* forum?

On another subject, lets have a go at complex electronics. In this case my AC inverter welder...

I was in the middle of an aluminium welding job when the welder went bang and shut down my whole workshop.
I reset the main breaker, switched the welder on and only the fan worked. So I took the cover off and was just about to start poking around with a multimeter when there was a big flash with loud bang from one of the circuit boards very close to my ear, which is still ringing...

The good news is that the welder has a 2 year „worry free“ warrantee according to the manufacturer. The bad news is I have to pay the transportation costs... to China.

So my 6 month old box of £400 worth of complex circuits is going in the bin. Incase anyone is wondering its the Tosense Plasmargon TSE200G on ebay...

3 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

A friend of a friend in Horsham needs a Covid test, nearest space, Chichester 33  miles.... Next nearest.... On the Isle of Wight, a different fkin country, 65 miles and a ferry ride, easy for someone who can't drive. But don't worry he only works in a restaurant where they recently rammed in 600 people in one day on Boris food vouchers then went on the piss to a small pub where social distancing is pretty much impossible especially after a few cocktails and they tend to think they are invincible... EYN9_WGWoAAJZup.thumb.jpeg.fb6ca840e8e0594d6422732ec7827ca9.jpeg

Same here. Tried to get one for my son. No local drive in, no home tests available. Nearest one 50 odd miles away in Carlisle with only two spaces available at the time.

How is this lying government promising a million tests a day by December or whatever. Total disgrace.

'Where's my stuff' asks the man who's delivery address is on an industrial estate that doesn't exist and his post code is on a housing estate. 

Boiler man came.  Despite everyone else saying I have to have a Combi, it’s the law, etc, this fella said “no, you can have a condenser.  Much cheaper, uses existing fittings, will fit without modifying anything significant, we can put in a Vaillant one on Tuesday for £2200”

Would rather not have to shell out but needs must. Fact is I would have had to get the boiler serviced as part of the sale and any engineer would have condemned it (this thing is fucked, I am amazed it worked at all).

Only problem is hot water.  There is an immersion switch next to the hot water tank, but no immersion element in the tank.  All my neighbours have one, the builder must have had a standard tank and whacked it in my place.  Thanks Bellwinch you tight fisted fuckers.

Honestly the build quality of these newer homes is bloody awful

To be honest I could have got a bit cheaper if I allowed the “noo boyla fited £1500 m8 cash only” bloke in the pub have a go, but I wouldn’t let these guys change a printer cartridge let alone a boiler.  Pants are pulled up, I just want some fucking hot water

1 hour ago, chadders said:

It does seem high even to someone like me who knows virtually nothing about it.

It looks like we need a new boiler to feed 20+ radiators and provide hot water. We've been quoted about 1,500 installed for one with a 7 year guarantee.

Think yourself lucky you’re on mains gas. Really, really lucky... 

8 hours ago, Inspector Morose said:

How about stop trying to wade into someone else’s problems and giving your reasoned opinions based upon, what by your own words can be misread, misconstrued or taken the wrong way?

The line has been drawn and its already over as far as I’m concerned. You have no fucking idea what went on and how I was thinking at the moment so, with respect, stop trying to stir the pot.

I just wish to move on and forget it all.

Jesus H Christ. 

BTW if you wish to move on you’ll need to ask someone to delete their post. Whilst you deleted yours, they quoted it and it’s still there for all to see. 

I thought there was a valid discussion point there about a car being advertised for sale, but isn't really ready for sale, and when someone says they want it now, the seller can't actually achieve that.

Also still somewhat perplexed about being shot down in flames for discussing a point brought up on a discussion forum by someone.  There are all manner of things I don't want to discuss here, so, shockingly enough, I don't mention them.

23 minutes ago, loserone said:

Or just forget about it and let it move on naturally.  Who the fuck goes back to look at quoted deleted posts?

Anyone who - like myself - reads a thread in a chronological order? 

I was saying if he wants it gone - he’ll need to ask someone to delete THEIR post. He obviously wanted it gone as he’d not have deleted his post. 

I repeat. Jesus H Christ. 

2 minutes ago, Talbot said:

I thought there was a valid discussion point there about a car being advertised for sale, but isn't really ready for sale, and when someone says they want it now, the seller can't actually achieve that.

There are all manner of things I don't want to discuss here, so, shockingly enough, I don't mention them.

There was. And steady on with the logic old boy. 

Bowls of water in the microwave, kettle on overtime, four saucepans of water on the hob....takes a long time to produce a lukewarm shallow bath when your builder can’t be arsed to fit an immersion heater that is specified in the house brochure....

A tin bath in the garden over a fire pit isn’t looking like such a stupid idea!

48 minutes ago, Parky said:

Bowls of water in the microwave, kettle on overtime, four saucepans of water on the hob....takes a long time to produce a lukewarm shallow bath when your builder can’t be arsed to fit an immersion heater that is specified in the house brochure....

A tin bath in the garden over a fire pit isn’t looking like such a stupid idea!

Surely if your builder is so full of hot air, you could use him to heat your water and the house... 

It is surprising how you take this stuff completely for granted and realise just how screwed you are without it.

When I had my bathroom redone a few years back it was out of action for a week.  Then I used to go for a swim every morning and shower there before work which was ok so I might revert to that again

15 hours ago, Parky said:

Boiler man came.  Despite everyone else saying I have to have a Combi, it’s the law, etc, this fella said “no, you can have a condenser.  Much cheaper, uses existing fittings, will fit without modifying anything significant, we can put in a Vaillant one on Tuesday for £2200”

Would rather not have to shell out but needs must. Fact is I would have had to get the boiler serviced as part of the sale and any engineer would have condemned it (this thing is fucked, I am amazed it worked at all).

Only problem is hot water.  There is an immersion switch next to the hot water tank, but no immersion element in the tank.  All my neighbours have one, the builder must have had a standard tank and whacked it in my place.  Thanks Bellwinch you tight fisted fuckers.

Honestly the build quality of these newer homes is bloody awful

The way to look at this. One it should lower your green certificate as this will be cleaner* than the previous one.

It will look good on any sales waffle. You care about maintenance and a new boiler is certainly much better than one that is x years old.

Have you tried to purchase and then install it yourself? I have done that twice. Once in the UK with a back boiler and more recently here in Spain with a kitchen "Ascot" If the routing of the gas pipe and exhaust are the same no issues. Although maybe not 100% in keeping with any regulations.