The grumpy thread

outlaw118

20 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Went browsing eBay for classic cars for the first time in a while.

Fuck me, the prices... That's me well and truly out of the market for pre-1980s chod. You're looking £1500 for full on restos, £3k for tarted up giffer chariots and £5k for anything decent. Even just bog standard 1960s British porridge, Austin A35s and Morris Minors with sills and floors made of underseal and dreams.

14 hours ago, colc said:

The "no tax and Mot" thing has jacked prices up dramatically

It is not only the UK that is seeing a price rise inolder7classic/youngtimer cars. It  is happening all over Europe. I am disappointed that I will never ever be able to purchase another should the money become available.

I'm still dizzy af. I keep forgetting though and when I stand up, I'm all over the place.

Son (15) only went back to school on Friday. Since Monday he's been complaining of not being well. He looks like death warmed up this morning so I phoned him in sick. Gf has just messaged asking me to book him a covid test online. Oh fuck.

40 minutes ago, Mally said:

Blocked ears can cause dizziness, is your hearing ok?

Can try olive oil drops, won't do any harm, best to warm them slightly first.

My late wife used to stick them down her bra, that warms them nicely, and adds to the appeal.

I've been using the boots own brand drops. They bloody violent, the fizzing and popping vibrates my head but its cleared one ear! Other ear hasn't though, and it doesn't vibrate and fizz like the other now so imagine it's proper broken... 

Battery light came on on the 75, Altenator?  Check on tinternet.

You can take it off from the bottom, but it's difficult.

You can take it off from the top, it's difficult, but not quite as hard.

They are hard to remove as no space. Sometimes the replacements are bigger and need grinding to get them in. 

You can change the brushes in situ, but it's not easy and may not solve the problem.

Thankfully it's gone out again for now.  I may buy some brushes.

22 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I've been using the boots own brand drops. They bloody violent, the fizzing and popping vibrates my head but its cleared one ear! Other ear hasn't though, and it doesn't vibrate and fizz like the other now so imagine it's proper broken... 

Are they Olive oil or sodium bicarbonate? II think it's sodium that fizz? 

Tend to buy mine at £1 shop. I may try Boots though. Olive oil can contaminate my hearing aid. 

I only have one working* ear. Tubes have closed up on the other side, and don't want my head playing with at my age.

1 hour ago, Mally said:

Blocked ears can cause dizziness, is your hearing ok?

Can try olive oil drops, won't do any harm, best to warm them slightly first....

The oil drops do work, and were useful when I went off to Specsavers to have my left ear canal vacuumed out. Loads of stuff was extracted. Didn't think it was possible to have that amount of debris in my head, but I'm glad it's not in there anymore!

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The oil drops do work, and were useful when I went off to Specsavers to have my left ear canal vacuumed out. Loads of stuff was extracted. Didn't think it was possible to have that amount of debris in my head, but I'm glad it's not in there anymore!

Isn't the autoshite way to use a sump pump? ... perhaps not.

Went to put my phone (Motorola G7) on charge last night, charger didn't seem to want to go in properly.  "That's odd" I thought, eventually got it "slow charging" but it wouldn't connect to the TurboPower fast charge it normally does.  Had a look this morning and yep, the charging port's buggered - I think when I removed it previously the charger may have pulled part of the port free and it's stuck in the end of the charger cable, but it's hard to tell.

Was bought online from John Lewis and is under warranty so rang their support line - "take it to your nearest store so they can inspect it" was the answer.  That'll be my nearest store that's just closed down then ? - trip to the next nearest one in Solihull it is tomorrow then.

Knew I should have stuck with a Nokia brick!

3 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I've used those to good effect in the past.  They're an interesting experience but they get the job done.

Got in the mk6 Astra, fully packed up for a trip to the Midlands, with Cat and wife. 

It's an auto. I suspect a robotised manual but I'm not sure. 

When you change from P to R to N to D it's supposed to display a big letter on the screen in front of you.

The P just flashed. Whatever gear I was in. 

Stopped and my wife, read page after page of the owners manual, and before reading that if you turn the engine off in D or N the P will flash.  So I turned the ignition on in N and suddenly it's all fine. 

Logic suggests that somehow I'd managed to get it all out of sync. 

It's a Vauxhall though. So probably fucked. 

Drove 90 miles and it's all fine. 

Wife says that I have no mechanical sympathy, and it's my fault. 

40 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Went to put my phone (Motorola G7) on charge last night, charger didn't seem to want to go in properly.  "That's odd" I thought, eventually got it "slow charging" but it wouldn't connect to the TurboPower fast charge it normally does.  Had a look this morning and yep, the charging port's buggered - I think when I removed it previously the charger may have pulled part of the port free and it's stuck in the end of the charger cable, but it's hard to tell.

Was bought online from John Lewis and is under warranty so rang their support line - "take it to your nearest store so they can inspect it" was the answer.  That'll be my nearest store that's just closed down then ? - trip to the next nearest one in Solihull it is tomorrow then.

Knew I should have stuck with a Nokia brick!

Just had the charging port changed in a generic tablet for £30. All is not lost.

5 hours ago, Mally said:

Are they Olive oil or sodium bicarbonate? II think it's sodium that fizz? 

Tend to buy mine at £1 shop. I may try Boots though. Olive oil can contaminate my hearing aid. 

I only have one working* ear. Tubes have closed up on the other side, and don't want my head playing with at my age.

In the sixties I read a Leonard Cohen novel (The Favourite Game) where he recounts his mother pouring Hydrogen Peroxide in his lugs to clean them.

Yes, I have a litre of Hydrogen Peroxide here :)

Yes, it works and the fizzing is quite amusing.

Use for about five minutes and flush with water afterwards.  Don't use it more than once a fortnight and no more than a 12% solution.

I went to the dump at lunchtime to clear boxes from Fridge I didn't need to buy and managed dropped my phone and smash further the already smashed screen.. Not too bothered I have spare screen in waiting in the house as it was already cracked. (1*)

Get home and remember my phone contains an app I need to connect to work VPN.

Can't connect to work network where my work PC lives.

Go to fit new screen to phone but screen is so mangled it won't power off.

Find old iphone and reset it so i can restore my iphone backup.

Old phone asks for wifi password. Go to fridge were WIFI details are securely* stored on sticker.

Remembers old fridge isn't there anymore after it was taken away for scrap as I replaced it after mis diagnosing a leaky bit of plumbing  as a knackered fridge (see point 1)

Feel sad as I stand in puddle created by leaky plumbing.

Rakes through drawers for 20 minute and finds password.

Restores phone

Starts VPN app but can't login as tokens don't match as it was keyed to the physical device

Go through laborious installation process.

Several hours later finally manage to connect to VPN

I now have to wait until the smashed one runs out of battery before I can fit the new screen.

I think I'm going to go to my bed.

43 minutes ago, myglaren said:

In the sixties I read a Leonard Cohen novel (The Favourite Game) where he recounts his mother pouring Hydrogen Peroxide in his lugs to clean them.

Yes, I have a litre of Hydrogen Peroxide here :)

Yes, it works and the fizzing is quite amusing.

Use for about five minutes and flush with water afterwards.  Don't use it more than once a fortnight and no more than a 12% solution.

The Boots stuff has Hydrogen Peroxide at 5%. Probably so you buy twice as much :)

I'm going to try it,  I need something that works fast because deaf as a post sometimes.

9 hours ago, Pieman said:

So is it the phone, or JL's fault, or did you break it?

13 hours ago, beko1987 said:

It's meant to do that? I thought all that popping meant my ears were broken. If it's normal, I'll try again.