The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Went out for a little run in the Scimitar, stopped off for petrol and then it all went a bit tits...  The machine clicked off prematurely I wiggled the filler and got it going again. All of a sudden a man rushes up to me and points out that the Scim is leaking, all over the fore court.....Bugger. I couldnt see were the petrol leak was coming from.

I headed in, paid the cashier explained about the spillage and left. So thats another little job to look at, bloody cars! 

21 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Anyone got a vegetarian Lion I can borrow ?

Oh, lion shit is biodegradable, just like cat shit. You just have to wait a long time!

Mowing the stuff really is bad luck though, it gets everywhere and stinks like crazy. Just don't mow it. Never!

Okay, thanks to an idiot in a rusty Merc estate the tyres on the Jag have now been shifted from "ancient, could really do with changing" to "barely drivable" on account of the depth of the flat spots I just scrubbed in them trying to avoid burying 1700kgs of Jag into their boot.

Quiet derestricted dual carriageway.  I was ambling along at 60 or so, saw a car and a bus waiting to turn onto the road a little ways ahead so moved out to lane 2 to allow them to do so.

About 0.5 seconds after this they then immediately moved out to lane 2, straight in front of me.  Dodging left is no longer an option as it's now occupied by the bus that followed the car out.  Only option I had was to stand on the brakes and pray nothing had appeared behind me since I last checked my mirrors.

The resulting cloud of tyre smoke was truly impressive...as was the magnitude of the thud-thud-thud-thud...I could now feel in the car even at walking pace.  I actually pulled over to make sure I hadn't got a puncture before limping home at about 30mph. 

What fun.

I seriously need to get dashcams into the remainder of the fleet...

Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

1: WTF is up with people?  I've just been watching Police Interceptors, to which, I confess, I'm addicted; they chased a driver until he crashed, at which point he turned out to be very very drunk.  Like, so drunk he couldn't even blow into the machine.  Fucking idiot.  Should be shot.  I had to turn it off, I now have Would I Lie To You on Dave +1 in the background.  This comes hard on the heels of 2.

2: I went upstairs to fire up my desktop computer for a little relaxation away from the soaps that MrsR likes.  Turn it on, wait for it to boot up.... and suddenly it just stops, silent.  I tried to get it to turn on again but it wasn't having it.  Looks like I'll have to replace it.  Great, have you seen the price of these bloody things?   Now see 3....l

3: That's an issue this week particularly as I'm spending £1700 replacing most of the windows at the back of my house.  They're coming on Wednesday.  It's money I don't have, but needs doing because there are draughts getting in.  Also the back door needs replacing with one that opens out rather than in, thereby not fouling the electric meter board.  (The door is part of the window package)  

Two cars, both with issues. (1.cracked windscreen and gearstick loose. 2. water not staying in and coolant pressurising) and my back being well and truly fucked means I'm not in the best fettle. 

Then went to get up from the bath and my hand slipped, strained my back even further and landed with a splash, bashing my elbow (it was either that or my head) and emptied half the bathwater onto the floor. 

Icing on the cake. ??

8 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

2: I went upstairs to fire up my desktop computer for a little relaxation away from the soaps that MrsR likes.  Turn it on, wait for it to boot up.... and suddenly it just stops, silent.  I tried to get it to turn on again but it wasn't having it.  Looks like I'll have to replace it.  Great, have you seen the price of these bloody things?   Now see 3....l

Might be able to get my hands on a Dell Optiplex Core i3 for smoll money if thats any good to you?

2 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Then went to get up from the bath and my hand slipped, strained my back even further and landed with a splash, bashing my elbow (it was either that or my head) and emptied half the bathwater onto the floor.

Could have been worse, you could have slipped whilst half way out and landed on your bollocks on the side of the bath.

Mountain bike has survived Llandegla, numerous trips round Delamere Forest, fields, tow paths, general off-roading and the muddiest sodding bridleways you've ever seen, with no visible marks over about 3 or 4 years.

Leant it against the garage wall before (something I don't normally do) it slipped, fell against the rough cast bit and has fucking well scraped the top tube in 3 or 4 places. 

On 9/1/2020 at 1:30 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

And not before time. Winter is my favourite time of year.

You're welcome to it!

On 9/1/2020 at 2:27 AM, sheffcortinacentre said:

I don't watch any of the cop or infact any form of reality TV as it's all bollocks.

You're not wrong there!  I may have cured myself of it, with last night's dose of cold turkey.  I hope so.

On 8/28/2020 at 9:31 AM, New POD said:

Or tell them the truth. 

The con rod has made a hole in the block, so "it won't start".  the car is too low for an A frame, so please send a transporter, and I have only 7% charge on my phone. But I'm safe. White, middle class, middle aged and male, and no plans for the next week.

Made no difference when Workshite shat it's gearbox a couple of years ago, told matey on the phone needed recovery as gearbox casing fubar'd, but the still insisted on sending out a grumpy sub-contractor (after 2 hours wait) to tell me what I already knew. Some 4 hours after that I was recovered home because the depot was shut. 

And this is with a corporate policy, supposedly giving priority service.

12 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

I'm spending £1700 replacing most of the windows at the back of my house.  They're coming on Wednesday.  It's money I don't have, but needs doing because there are draughts getting in.  Also the back door needs replacing with one that opens out rather than in, thereby not fouling the electric meter board.  (The door is part of the window package)  

I picked up some parts yesterday from a couple in Congleton , they had a lovely big 1930s semi with the original steel framed bay windows in it , it looked lovely

I commented you don't see original windows like that often

No but they're knackered , rotted, only we don't know what to do about them, we've had a quote to replace them but because of the curved glass at the sides they have to be made specially from scratch £18,000 , at first I thought he said £1800, £900 each but no it was £18,000

Went to drop my son off at nursery this morning. It's half eight, so lots of small kids about (the nursery is round the corner from a primary school), I'm doing 20 in a 20. A Transit comes up behind me and sits six inches from my back bumper, before overtaking on the wrong side of a keep left bollard, through a zebra crossing, forcing a car coming the other way to go up onto the pavement. I've run the reg and it's uninsured, and has been out of tax and mot since February. 

The best bit? It's signwritten for a plumbing company. The depth and breadth of the guy's bad reviews is almost impressive - there's the 'got a CCJ against him but he still won't pay' one, the 'turned up pissed' one, the 'kept sexually harassing my wife' one, several 'the work didn't pass building regs / gas safe' ones, and people just leaving reviews so they can tell him he drives like a prick. 

2 hours ago, Wack said:

... lovely big 1930s semi with the original steel framed bay windows in it , ....

I commented you don't see original windows like that often

No but they're knackered , rotted, only we don't know what to do about them, we've had a quote to replace them but because of the curved glass at the sides they have to be made specially from scratch £18,000 , at first I thought he said £1800, £900 each but no it was £18,000

That's a downside of having an Art Deco-era property. Curved glass looks great but, as I understand it, not easy to form. Has to be optically correct so you don't get distortion when you look through it. 

Made the decision to try and get off the fags. Consumption was creeping back up to nearly 30 daily (on a shitty day), averaging about 20. Even the cheaper brands (Sovereign Blue) are now £9.30 in Tesco, it's costing me £££££.

The other half of Team Fat n Blind has donated some vaping machinery and some juice to get me started - Victoria sponge flavoured smoke??

Saturday: started using the chuffing machine. Smoked 12 fags.

Sunday: 2 smoked am, 4 afternoon, 3 evening. Used Cakey smoker thing in between.

Monday 10 all day, used puffer in between.

Today: back at work, it's 15:55 and I've already done 7. Got the puffer here too.

Why haven't I got the same level of willpower that I had when I decided that I was hanging about with the wrong people... Captain Morgan, Jack Daniels, and Jim Beam. 

Grumpy at myself.