The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 hours ago, New POD said:

Or tell them the truth. 

The con rod has made a hole in the block, so "it won't start".  the car is too low for an A frame, so please send a transporter, and I have only 7% charge on my phone. But I'm safe. White, middle class, middle aged and male, and no plans for the next week. 

It took a lot of effort to convince the RAC they wouldn't be able to fix the Dolomite at the side of the road and that I needed a flatbed. It was only once the guy arrived and I said to him "the bottom end has exploded and the sump is full of bearings" (I said that over the phone too but it was never relayed) it was decided it wasn't fixable...

1 minute ago, captain_70s said:

It took a lot of effort to convince the RAC they wouldn't be able to fix the Dolomite at the side of the road and that I needed a flatbed. It was only once the guy arrived and I said to him "the bottom end has exploded and the sump is full of bearings" (I said that over the phone too but it was never relayed) it was decided it wasn't fixable...

My guy looked at the hole in the block, and I pointed to the starter motor which was in tatters, and said "do you think I need a new starter solenoid" 

Oh how I laughed which I waited for another hour for a flat bed. 

Took the Jag into the works car park today (I've moved office since since I last had one) and it's actually too big. The back of it overhangs the space we're allocated and blocks the rest of the aisle. It's an extremely tight car park. Baws ?

May require SMOLL car for the winter

5 hours ago, captain_70s said:

I had similar with the AA when the water pump seized on my Range Rover.  Except that they did relay it to the patrol, but he turned up in a Vivaro anyway.  That was two hours of my life I'll never get back.

They ignore all this because if a patrol (which they have more of) comes they can say "we attended the breakdown within the hour"  which is what they all brag of in the adverts.

I was once on a roundabout above an M1 junction ( say J27)  the operator said that was no good as she need the road number! But I'm on the roundabout several meet here!?!

Living on a main road where the traffic often backs up during the day, from my first floor window I can almost constantly spot people creeping along in the traffic and glancing down with their phone in their laps, typically young women in almost new Fiat 500, aldi a1, bini  types.  I mean FFS can these people not put their phones away for 5 minutes? 

Heard a load of revving outside this morning, some young lad with a black 04 clio was billowing smoke out the front, I thought the thing was on fire, low and behold in true modern day “OMG look Insta” fashion the lad first jumps out and films the smoke for a moment BEFORE eventually looking for the bonnet catch.  I was ready to dash outside and help him but thought better of it.  Must have been the first thing that sprung into his mind... omg quick film it. Face and palm. 

The constant coverage of the US election is doing my head in. By all means report on the winner, but this continuous series of daily updates and discussions is just annoying me. We don’t get this sort of level of coverage for any of the elections of our nearest neighbours, that arguably have more impact on us than the USA. 

I’m assuming the journalists are just all trying to spin out how long they get to spend in the states on expenses. 

48 minutes ago, Volksy said:

Testing the water and placeholder threads. 

If it's for sale, it's for sale. If its not, it's not. 

Not as if the board is that fast moving that the ad will be on page six in ten mins. 

I agree, the only time you test the water is when you bath a fucking baby, 'ooohhh I'm just testing the water' so they get a few interested parties then 'ohhhh I've changed my mind' just fuck off.

Also for sale ads, which when you enquire about the car it takes 3 days for a reply, or when you message and say 'I want to buy this, now' and then they say 'oh its not ready yet as I need it for a few weeks' just fuck off again, this forum isn't too bad really and I've had plenty of no nonsense buys and sales but there is a fair proportion of fuckwits too.

Arse 

my 2.3 ducato is going to need a flywheel soon , spooked to my mechanic today , he said they stop in 2 positions when you turn the engine off , it’s breaking up on one side which explains why sometimes you start it and it rattles for 5 seconds until it finds its balance point Other times it’s fine , all depends where it stopped when you last turned it off.

it’s  still Running and driving ok and hasn’t got any worse in the last couple of months 

the bad news , he priced up a clutch and Dual  mass Flywheel kit , I knew it was bad news when he said fuck me, really 

£800 + vat for LUK parts 

Spent a couple of hours yesterday going through the loft and getting some really decent gear together to take to the car boot this morning. I cleaned up and put fresh batteries in a ride on aeroplane that was my son's when he was smaller. I got my trusty car boot pasting table down and loaded the whole lot into the Corsa.

I went out to it this morning and despite being fine on Friday,  the battery was almost totally flat. It wouldn't even take a jump start from the Mini.

After all I spent on it having welding done, even the engine change a couple of years ago, you'd think it could do just the ONE task that I have asked of it in all that time.

Now I've missed the setting up slot at the car boot.

The Corsa is now getting put in the garage until next year. It can just fuck right off.

12 hours ago, Wack said:

Arse 

my 2.3 ducato is going to need a flywheel soon , spooked to my mechanic today , he said they stop in 2 positions when you turn the engine off , it’s breaking up on one side which explains why sometimes you start it and it rattles for 5 seconds until it finds its balance point Other times it’s fine , all depends where it stopped when you last turned it off.

it’s  still Running and driving ok and hasn’t got any worse in the last couple of months 

the bad news , he priced up a clutch and Dual  mass Flywheel kit , I knew it was bad news when he said fuck me, really 

£800 + vat for LUK parts 

What year is it ? Thought the 2.3 didn’t have a dmf ? My 09 one hasn’t anyway 

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

What year is it ? Thought the 2.3 didn’t have a dmf ? My 09 one hasn’t anyway 

2011 , the online checker lists one when you put the reg in so I assume it has , it also has the symptoms he described for a failing dmf, I’ll be leaving it until it goes pop though , not sure how much longer I’ll be doing this job 

On 8/28/2020 at 9:32 PM, loserone said:

Autoaid were cracking when I said I'd blown a brake line and lost all the fluid.  

I think breakdown companies automatically recover without attempting a repair if the fault is brake related. 

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

I think breakdown companies automatically recover without attempting a repair if the fault is brake related. 

Polish AA men don't 

I burst a flexible pipe on my ducato van in Oldbury 

AA guy turned up, called a supplier who was on the other side of Birmingham,  went to get it , even came back with the right part when they tried to give him the wrong part , fitted it, we bled it between us , I drove home with it 100% fixed

They did have an incentive though , a couple of hours of his time or a 90 mile recovery 

Happy days 

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Got it started with something slightly meatier.

A British car with a German engine starting a Spanish car with a British badge.

IMG_20200830_093512.jpg

Is that the mighty 3-cylinder engine in there? We used to have one of those in Mrs Optix's Agila (thankfully now long gone). It was Proper Shit.

Took the camper out for a drive as hardly used it this year. I didnt get very far as I have a sticking front brake! That's what lack of use does to a car! Now it's cooled down i can drive the couple miles home and have a look at it. 

1 hour ago, djoptix said:

Is that the mighty 3-cylinder engine in there? We used to have one of those in Mrs Optix's Agila (thankfully now long gone). It was Proper Shit.

It is, and cheers, thanks for that. I've had it 10 years and it's on its second engine, I wouldn't have known that unless you'd pointed it out ?????

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

It is, and cheers, thanks for that.

Sorry ?

To be fair it wasn't actually that bad. Just not powerful and it had a tappety rattle that I could never get rid of. But it never FTPd.