The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

What?

Actually, "mate", I'd like to stick some money back into the UK economy - rather than cowering away like a frightened little church mouse.  Having worked straight through since the start of the year (whilst colleagues have been Furloughed and managed to work up the most amazing tans on full pay) - I'd like to get away.  On the basis that my home is also where I work, I quite fancy some different surroundings.

Sorry I didn't seek your advice or consent first, but I'll probably just follow the law rather than your pithy remarks.

Fucketybye. xx

I have been out and about 7 days a week operating my businesses throughout as well, being exempt from closure. Full pay? Turnover down to 25% of normal at one point.

I entirely understand your desire to get away. My point was, the more people who visit more different places, the greater the chance of them being infected by the virus and then spreading it around. Thus we will not be going away this year.

14 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

and we've just had the lightbulb go in the front room while watching Vera.

this one went off like a mortar bomb!

it literally blew itself to bits, shards of glass and molten bits of filament everywhere!!

i've had to pick the pieces up and run around with the hoover.

so we've had  to find another one from under the stairs, turn the power off, pull remains of the bayonet cap outta the pendant light..... find that this replacement bulb is fucked cos the bayonet cap on the end is loose, then go and find another and so on.

i wonder how long this will  last before it blows, and will that one go off like an incendiary bomb?

place bets now.......

sounds like the lightbulb fitted was a of cheap low quality that had inadequate or no fusing

see when a lightbulb burns out, an electrical arc can form between lead in wires

and an arc has a negative resistance property, the more power that goes into it, the lower its electrical resistance drops and the more power it takes, and this will run away until something literally blows up

(its why discharge lamps need a ballast, to regulate the current)

so a good quality incandescent lamp will have some sort of fuse in the lamp cap that will safely  blow if the lamp arcs at EOL and prevent catastrophic failure 

I would check what type of fuses if any are incorporated in any spare bulbs of the same make and type if you want to avoid the same thing happening again

you can read about the different types of fusing here :) 

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/IN Fusing.htm

but if your still not sure, feel free to post pictures of your spare bulbs and id be happy to tell you what type of fusing they have etc :) 

On 8/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, xtriple said:

Probably been asked before but...

I can go to the Doctors, the chemists, any local shop, supermarkets, garages everywhere, but I can't go in the vets! It is really irritating me to be honest and I have just fallen out with the second vet this month over it.

Explain I must...

Phoebe is old now (13) and a cripple (like me) but unlike me, she was a rescue and very badly damaged in the brain department, to whit, she is terrified of people. Always has been right since the day I rescued her from nasty people when she was but 4 months old. Over the course of the last 13 years, she has had multiple serious injuries and illnesses which have required surgery and constant pills and care. Now that she is old and gets more and more decrepit by the day, I try to let her have an easy life, do what she wants and keep stress to an absolute minimum.

Sound fair?

The first vet I fell out with has been her caregiver for the last 7 years and to be honest, their care has been variable as has their pricing of things (used to vary by £20 per repeat prescription until I pointed it out to them) and when she needed them during 'lockdown' they were not willing to see her or help. I had to seek alternate, emergency treatment. About a month ago I rang them for a repeat of her usual prescription and they wanted to see her which irked me somewhat as they hadn't wanted to see her before when she needed them, but hey-ho,if we can just make sure she is seen outside so I can stay with her, after all, they know she's terrified.

But no.

Even though I knew they were doing that as the week before they had seen Chester (my other useless dog :) )to clip his nails (dewclaws) which had grown so long they had curled around into a full circle! They did them on the pavement outside the shop, not bother to me, all is good. But they wouldn't see Phoebe outside and no, she didn't need any treatment other than the 6 monthly wank to show them she's still alive though, what I'm buying expensive pills for a dead dog is a mystery to me.

I lost my temper with the vet, or rather, I came very close to it so rung off because she was totally unhelpful/uncaring.

Found another vet, explained all this to them, no problem, the vet will see her in the carpark. And so she did, pills prescribed all is right with the world. Until today when she needed more pills (she was only given a fortnights supply to see how she did on them) when it transpires that the vet we saw is on holiday for three weeks, didn't write up her last (only) visit and they have no record of her treatment at all. They then wanted me to pay for another assessment even though it was their fault, but, whatever. Asked for the usual outside treatment, not a problem...

Except it was. When the surly vet came out, she stood so far away (like 20 feet) and had a mask and a shield on I couldn't hear what she was saying, but we got over that, she wanted to see Phoebe walk. Phoebe walked about 10 feet and stopped at the side of the car, which is as far as she can walk now. This wasn't good enough and the vet lady got 'stroppy' with me as I wasn't doing what she wanted. She then insisted she was taking her into the surgery and was going to get a lead.

It was at that point I told her I really didn't like her or her attitude to Phoebe and we would be leaving. Which we did (quietly and calmly no less).

Now all you good people will doubtless tell me what an arse I am (not news) but I just want the best treatment for her without stressing her out to the point she carks on the spot... which is a worry for me now as she is so old and...

I’m not an animal person, but can’t abide to see people abuse them. Seems like you just want the best for the dogs.

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

I have been out and about 7 days a week operating my businesses throughout as well, being exempt from closure. Full pay? Turnover down to 25% of normal at one point.

I entirely understand your desire to get away. My point was, the more people who visit more different places, the greater the chance of them being infected by the virus and then spreading it around. Thus we will not be going away this year.

Thank you so much for your ever so informative and sanctimonious lecture on transmission. Without it I’d have had absolutely no idea. 

As I say, I’ll continue to operate within the laws (and spirit of) until such time that I’m either advised or instructed to do otherwise. 

Good luck with your business. Genuinely. I am struck with a little guilt that the company I work for have never had it so good. On the basis that the people ARE the economy, I’m keen to spend where I can and with British companies. 

Best of British to you. 

31 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

sounds like the lightbulb fitted was a of cheap low quality that had inadequate or no fusing

see when a lightbulb burns out, an electrical arc can form between lead in wires

and an arc has a negative resistance property, the more power that goes into it, the lower its electrical resistance drops and the more power it takes, and this will run away until something literally blows up

(its why discharge lamps need a ballast, to regulate the current)

so a good quality incandescent lamp will have some sort of fuse in the lamp cap that will safely  blow if the lamp arcs at EOL and prevent catastrophic failure 

I would check what type of fuses if any are incorporated in any spare bulbs of the same make and type if you want to avoid the same thing happening again

you can read about the different types of fusing here :) 

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/IN Fusing.htm

but if your still not sure, feel free to post pictures of your spare bulbs and id be happy to tell you what type of fusing they have etc :) 

This post is one of the reasons I love this forum.

People can post about anything and get a great, informative response on anything.

Still amazes me at times.

6 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It seems that some British tourists are pretty good at ruining it for everyone else wherever they go: I read that they've managed to get some of the bigger venues in Magaluf shut down!

And they're the same people who wonder why the whole of the rest of the world hates the British...

26 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Visited an auto electrical shop at Hanger Lane. They had four CX starter motors. None were correct. 

Unshielded starters are like feckin' hen's teeth. 

Are they the sort of old school place that have things like that on the shelf (except for the fact that they don't)? Still haven't got a properly fitting starter on the Bluebird. 

26 minutes ago, N19 said:

Are they the sort of old school place that have things like that on the shelf (except for the fact that they don't)? Still haven't got a properly fitting starter on the Bluebird. 

Very oul school Indian fella, who has miles of shelves full of starters and alternators at the back and upstairs!

7 hours ago, Agila said:

Worth mentioning too that this is the reason why if you don't have an in-lamp fuse (as many don't) then when the lamp does go pop, it can take out the MCB/fuse in the consumer unit at the same time.  Took me ages to understand how a 100w incandescent lamp, which is 0.42A in normal service,  can blow a 6A MCB, which needs a lot more than 6A over a short time to pop it.

Then it struck me.

Yesterday when heading out to pick bertiepuntocabrio up from the station I got held up due to a big smash on the bypass closing the main road out of town.  A car (couldn't see what it was as it was on its side) had hit a Tesco lorry, or the lorry had hit the car.  Found out in the local paper today that it was fatal - the driver of the car was pronounced dead at the scene.  Not sure how it happened but it is an arsehole of a junction, especially when it's rammed with dopey tourists trying to get to the beach.

Well fuck my old boots. Yesterday 4 out of 6 cars not working, today 5 out of 6 not working. The high mileage Zafira that I had a feeling of impeding doom with, wouldn't start this morning, battery flat as a pancake. No prior warning, did 500 miles in it yesterday, nothing left on draining the battery. Also I had a booking at the tip first thing so I'd loaded it up to the roof last night. Guess where my jump leads are? Yep under the floor beneath all the crap I'm taking to the tip. Time was also of the essence as I'd a 400 mile job booked to do straight after the tip run. Fired up the Vectra, as its only got a fucked wheel bearing, lined it up with Zafira and hurriedly started getting stuff out the boot. Included in this stuff for the tip was two empty 25 litre tubs of black roofing sealant and our old deep fat fryer carefully placed in a bag. Can you guess were this is going? In my rush to get going the horrible sticky remnants of the roof sealant and deep fat fryer managed to poor themselves all over the boot, hatch seal and into the well where the jump leads where!

To make matters worse an hour later when I turned the car off, it wouldn't start - battery goosed. Managed to get a boost of someone then on with my 400 mile job, constantly saying to myself 'don't turn the car off, don't turn the car off'. Ordered a new battery on my travels from ECP and got daughter number 1 to pick it up for me. Really couldn't be arsed to change it when I got back and fully expecting ECP to have given her a battery for a smoke detector by mistake as my last few orders have been ridiculously wrong! 

TLDR: I still hate cars

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Visited an auto electrical shop at Hanger Lane. They had four CX starter motors. None were correct. 

Unshielded starters are like feckin' hen's teeth. 

Can ye not find an old school repairer? We had a guy locally who fixed/re-wound/repaired starters & alternators but retired now. Must be someone round your way, or B'ham?

14 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Can ye not find an old school repairer? We had a guy locally who fixed/re-wound/repaired starters & alternators but retired now. Must be someone round your way, or B'ham?

The Hanger Lane shop is an oul school repairer as well. He reckons he can turn round a repair in about two hours, if the starter proves repairable. Trouble is, we've only got the one, and that's in the car because Garage Dubois-Loizou need it in there in order to move the car around the premises.

5 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

So, it works sometimes? Can't they push? (Gallic excuses to follow)

It works if they bang the starter with a hammer first. They could push it, but it's easier if the suspension is "up" first, which means running the pump, which means starting the engine..... Can you see where this is going?

9 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

It works if they bang the starter with a hammer first. They could push it, but it's easier if the suspension is "up" first, which means running the pump, which means starting the engine..... Can you see where this is going?

The CX can easily be held "up" by small pieces of wood. Front 5x5cm, back 3x4cm, all 10cm long.

Back.jpg

Front.jpg

Just had a 'phone call from my boss - knew something was wrong immediately as it's unheard of for her to call on a Sunday.  One of the girls in my team died suddenly yesterday - not sure why yet, they think it may have been a blood clot, nothing the paramedics could do.  She was a month younger than me, and she's left a husband and two young boys behind.  Won't even be able to have a proper funeral because of Covid.  Feeling a bit numb tbh.

'Not a bother Dave, I'll be back with a price for you on Friday'.

Is it just me? Contractors that look the job over, promise to return with a quote and then disappear, never to be heard from again. Just tell me you if don't fancy the job, don't like the look of me or even if you don't think I've pot to piss in, but don't just vanish. Do you really think I'll just forget you came? I won't, I'll leave you a really shitty internet review, although I didn't post one the other night because covid could have been causing bloke problems.

On 8/15/2020 at 11:41 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Do you have a tow bar on your CX?

Could be the answer..... 

arvico_asu_sa280_500_1.jpg.cae7ba0ca7f86994ae7cdcc3a23cec34.jpg

Just had a 'phone call from my boss - knew something was wrong immediately as it's unheard of for her to call on a Sunday.  One of the girls in my team died suddenly yesterday - not sure why yet, they think it may have been a blood clot, nothing the paramedics could do.  She was a month younger than me, and she's left a husband and two young boys behind.  Won't even be able to have a proper funeral because of Covid.  Feeling a bit numb tbh.
Sorry to hear that Wuv...tough times.