The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, dean36014 said:

. If I claim on her insurance it will likely get written off,

Remember though, if you claim directly from her insurers (IE not through your own) then even if they decide to give you the write-off value of the vehicle, they have absolutely no claim to it, so you get the cash and by default keep the vehicle.  I'm not even sure that they can add it to the database of written-off vehicles, as you have no contract with them, so they are not able to do anything that relates to your vehicle.

Obviously if the dizzy woman who bashed into it coughs up a decent amount of cash then it's no concern, but if she starts being obstructive about it, claiming directly from her insurance shouldn't see you having problems for the next millennia.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:02 PM, Borsuq said:

The mirror on the Civic is power folding, hence the cost. I actually hate that function in cars. It's pointless and makes mirrors stupidly expensive and more fragile.

I don't get all this power folding mirror crap either. I just fold ours in by hand if we're parking somewhere it could get whacked.

Toys are nice when a car is brand new but a pain in the arse most of the time thereafter as it's just more expense if something happens/breaks.

Just now, ETCHY said:

I don't get all this power folding mirror crap either. I just fold ours in by hand if we're parking somewhere it could get whacked.

Toys are nice when a car is brand new but a pain in the arse most of the time thereafter as it's just more expense if something happens/breaks.

My Cougar takes it even further, by not folding in by hand either.  That's really fucking convenient when backing in to a poxy wide council garage.

2 hours ago, Dabooka said:

My Cougar takes it even further, by not folding in by hand either.  That's really fucking convenient when backing in to a poxy wide council garage.

Reminded me of a time I wanted to get a cougar over 10 years ago and was following Cougar forums because of that. I vaguely remember a guy who was always on the lookout for wing mirrors for his car because his flat was through a narrow gate that the Cougar couldn't normally clear. He had to take mirrors off their mounts (apparently they clip in and out?) every time he wanted to geth through the gate which lead to mirrors becoming wobbly after a few months. :D

I'm pissed off with 1) the weather - it's too hot and being a fat fucker, i don't deal well with heat. the last week i've been getting decreasing amounts of kip as the night-time temperatures haven't really dropped, and SWMBO won't open the bedroom windows because bungalow. 2) Been stressing about a zoom call i had today about "mental health", got myself worked up into a panic about being unable to work zoom, and that i had nigh on 6 months off work ending Feb this year due to anxiety and stress, so having someone tell me about triggers, and mindfullness really wasn't any help. 3) I'm working in an un-airconditioned office on a "Water recycling Centre" aka shitfarm. You can guess what the "ambience" is like there. had to put a call into IT this morning at 9.45 as the PC i use crashed. Finally got a call back at 3:55, " oh just unplug the red cable and put it back in". If it was that fucking easy why did it need to be referred on, why couldn't "Dave" from the company's helpdesk tell me to do that?

Dicks.

Cashcam working well on the M60 sunday evening up by the M61 turning 

Not busy , no busier than the last 5 miles but the 50 was on where the camera is , I slowed to 50 , went past, looked in the mirror at the 2 cars that had been catching me at 75+ , both got flashed , next gantry limit back to 70.

13 hours ago, omegod said:

I crossed the Mersey gateway bridge and completely forgot to pay the £2 toll online a few weeks ago , nice £22 penalty arrived this morning. I fully expect the same bumming again tomorrow for the return journey ?

I got one (I think it was last year?) and I explained that I'd genuinely forgot as I returned through the tunnel. They waivered the charge.

14 hours ago, omegod said:

I crossed the Mersey gateway bridge and completely forgot to pay the £2 toll online a few weeks ago , nice £22 penalty arrived this morning. I fully expect the same bumming again tomorrow for the return journey ?

Online payment for tolls is nothing more than the ability to fine people and make more money.  If the toll were an old-fashioned booth/barrier, then it's impossible to use the toll road without paying, hence a penalty is also impossible.

What's really obnoxious is that if there's a problem with stuff being posted to you, and you're genuinely none the wiser, the unpaid fines (which in this case are a civil offence) are treated in the same fashion as a speeding fine (a criminal offence) that hasn't been paid, so it ends up having a collection order made on it and you can end up with a bailiff banging on your door at 6am.

Utterly fucking wrong.

One of the hard disk drives in my PC failed yesterday and I had to replace it right away. Nothing super important on there, but hopefully I can recover at least some data from it.

This unexpected expense, together with this being car insurance month for me means I probably won't be able to put much aside for my FSO to the UK roadtrip budget. :(

I guess I'll have to decide between getting new tyres on the FSO and saving up this month.

Photo for your time. :)

IMG_20200709_145031.thumb.jpg.fa0f4de1e75d5030c72848fbc3315915.jpg

15 hours ago, omegod said:

It is a piss take , I bet it's £30m plus in fines by now , I forgot to pay it once but had a lightbulb moment a couple of days later so manged to pay it before it went to a PCN

£20m in fines as of June 2019

REVENUE from Mersey Gateway Bridge toll fines topped £20 million in 20 months – but campaigners claim the real cost is far higher.

Motorists who fail to pay for crossing the site in time receive a penalty charge notice (PCN).

After being pressed by Scrap Mersey Tolls, Halton Borough Council has provided the campaign group with figures revealing the income from PCNs.

The amount of revenue, from October 2017 to the end of June 2019 totals around £18,752,000.

Yesterday WAZE saved me hours again, 3 jobs , stoke and 2 in tamworth , sent me off at J17, got 300m and stopped, turn right down a lane, didn't see a jam all the way to stoke

Coming back up the M6 it was the worst queue I'd ever seen , the 2 LH lanes were all closed with one lane southbound through concrete barriers for safety , only a wide load was struggling to get through so driving very slowly , the queue stretched to 1/2 way between 18 & 17 , you couldn't even get off at 17 because the queue for that was 2 miles long

16 hours ago, omegod said:

I've got RFI tags in all our cars, so am automatically charged.  Every now and again I get £10 taken out of my account to top up my misery gateway account. 

My daughter's boyfriend, crossed it twice in 2 days by mistake, in her car, so i was charged 4 times. 

The dickhead thought it was free because her car had a tag.  

A1 all clogged up and all the roads around it in the Birtley/Washington area too.

Was going to Ravensworth Castle, 11 minutes from mine.  Magical Mystery Tour trying to get to it, then passed it without seeing it.  Two hours wasted, and 1/4 tank of petrol.

Saw on the news that the A1 had been closed due to someone buggering about on a roundabout but that was at 2am.

Most unusual around here.  Rush hour can get a bit busy on the A1 but nothing like it was this afternoon.

Dunno how anyone can function in this crazy tropical heat. Went for a biopsy at Barnet Hospital just now, and they have no air-conditioning anywhere in the building. Some of the staff are visibly wilting. Spare a thought for the in-patients who have to stay there under current conditions.....

I'm spending the rest of the day padding around at home in the nip, as it is just too hot for clothes.

6 hours ago, New POD said:

I've got RFI tags in all our cars, so am automatically charged.  Every now and again I get £10 taken out of my account to top up my misery gateway account. 

My daughter's boyfriend, crossed it twice in 2 days by mistake, in her car, so i was charged 4 times. 

The dickhead thought it was free because her car had a tag.  

Well fuck em, I've just linked the father in laws disabled badge to my car so it'll be free for the forseeable future, I'm gonna make 11 journeys over the bastard bridge to get my fine equivalent back :) 

3 hours ago, myglaren said:

A1 all clogged up and all the roads around it in the Birtley/Washington area too.

My godfather lives in Birtley and I stopped off to see him on my way back from Scotland last September.  The A1 is fugging horrible through that part of the world.