The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Oh for...

Just had a phone call from the garage doing the control arm bush on the Xantia.  I've bought the wrong bush.  Rear bush is fine... it's the front one that's gone.  Perfectly happy to chalk that up to me remembering wrong.

What's really annoying though is that I waited ages to get that flipping bush due to a supplier messing me about...yet I had not one, but three of the ones for the front bushes in the parts stash.

Box has been dropped off at the garage and profuse apologies for my stupidity delivered.  Will definitely be next week before they can get to it at this point but that's just the way of these things.

Does mean I'll need to fill the Jag again this week though which I was hoping to avoid!

Despite this vectra being our second estate it is the first time we have travelled down to Devon in one.

You only realise how big it is when you completely fill a parking space with it. Plus the 19" wheels mean that getting out of tight spaces is a pain in the arse.

4 hours ago, Jazoli said:

I can't imagine claiming through the insurance will cost you less than £300 in loaded premiums and unless you have a zero excess on your (her) policy it wouldn't make any sense to claim, put it on an 0% ccard if you have to. 

There's indeed zero excess on her policy and her premiums are insured as well, that means they won't be increasing.

21 hours ago, Bren said:

Despite this vectra being our second estate it is the first time we have travelled down to Devon in one.

You only realise how big it is when you completely fill a parking space with it. Plus the 19" wheels mean that getting out of tight spaces is a pain in the arse.

Pain in the arse? Must be something loose under the seat. Maybe a pre-tensioner? ?

I nocked the wing mirror of an old nissan xtrail in my van about 8 years ago. It was parked like a cunt but that's no excuse. I went and knocked on the owner. The guy actually worked at nissan and said he wanted £370 for a new one as it was electric. 

Fuck off says I, we'll have to go through the insurance. If he'd said £100 or so, I would have tipped up. It still had the mirror taped on for six months or so then the car dissapeared.

I never heard from him again strangely.

It's always better to have a little bit of something than all of nothing.

This begs the question; if the mirrors are so expensive because they're power folding... how did it get ripped off if it was power folded in? Was it folded in?

Also, I'm amazed at the skill of somebody who can rip off a folded-in mirror without causing any other damage to the car. They must have been really close.

Last week we had an Ice Cream van stop outside for the first time in the 3 years we've lived here. Didn't have time to nab one then but stuck a tenner on the fridge in prep for next time.

Since then not a sausage, even when it's just under the temperature of the sun, I'm worried I've been affected by the heat and it was actually just a mirage.

its my birthday, and its been crap. Missus is in Aberdeen which is now back in lockdown so I got a short and very cold facebook message last night saying she wasn't a rule breaker so id have to have my birthday some other time. She hasn't even phoned today.

Supposed to be off work but got called in because theres been an Internet meltdown and when I went to get in the car I saw a huge nail in my front tyre.

Worst birthday ever.

2 hours ago, Mally said:

There are  ways to make at least some of them, from push button to auto fold,

I  looked into it when I changed from C4 Picasso (auto fold) to Alhambra (push  button).

Must have been difficult, I never bothered doing it.

Yeah, it's like that on my dad's Auris. You can disable autofold and have it button only, which we do for winter in case the mirrors ice over and break cogs trying to unfold. I'm not aware of a way to make the Civic fold its ears automatically. That said, the mechanism isn't very robust to begin with so I'm not sure it could take heavy use for very long anyway.

3 hours ago, CortinaDave said:

its my birthday, and its been crap. Missus is in Aberdeen which is now back in lockdown so I got a short and very cold facebook message last night saying she wasn't a rule breaker so id have to have my birthday some other time. She hasn't even phoned today.

Supposed to be off work but got called in because theres been an Internet meltdown and when I went to get in the car I saw a huge nail in my front tyre.

Worst birthday ever.

Ouch! Deffers worthy of a rant!☹️