The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, djoptix said:

Regarding the self employment grant, premises has nothing to do with it. If you are

• Self employed (i.e. you fill in the Self Employment bit of the tax return)
  • Have been trading for the last three years and not earned more than £51k (business profits)

it's an open and shut case, you will get 80% of your averaged turnover for the last grant and 70% of your averaged turnover for the next one.

Notable exceptions/things which commonly disqualify people are

• You're not really self employed, you're a company director and pay yourself in dividends
  • You earned £51,000.47 last year
  • You earn eleventy million pounds but get paid in wads of grubby fivers that Elsie has been keeping under the mattress (see: @paulplom)

I am (to put it in Pistonheads terms) a "powerfully built" company director who pays myself in both salary and dividend. 

I have one member of staff, who has been furloughed by my LTD company, and her salary has been topped up to 100%. And I have taken the furloughing too. 

This has meant the company had been getting £1600 a month from HMRC and paying out £2000. 

It has taken the maximum bounce bank loan.  I am due a dividend for the profit made in the year ending June 2020.  

If you add the VAT and Corporation Tax which it will owe, take off the bounce back loan, it pretty much has my dividend in the bank.  I feel I should take it before April, but only if I can pay back the bounce back loan in full.  The daft thing is the bounce back loan is 2% and monthly payments start at £255 and gradually reduce over 5 years.  It's the lowest loan % I'm.ever going to have.  I feel I should spend it. Not. 

8 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Right, I'll just quickly throw this video clip onto YouTube so I can include it in the post and get that done before I head to bed.

"Uploading...Estimated 3 hours 47 minutes remaining..."

Oh FFS.  Guess I'll be posting that tomorrow then.

Back in the distant past when I used Windows I had a similar thing with an update that was going to take roughly 200 years.

I got 4 bites on my leg yesterday whilst laying on the floor fixing a car , they swelled up quite a bit last night and I felt like absolute shite .I even thought I was having a stroke at one point as my head was pounding and right side of face felt a bit funny. I've taken antihistamines and they are going down a bit.

Not like mossie bites so may have been a spider or summat .Not had a reaction like that before so it must have been a potent little bugger whatever it was

4 hours ago, omegod said:

I got 4 bites on my leg yesterday whilst laying on the floor fixing a car , they swelled up quite a bit last night and I felt like absolute shite .I even thought I was having a stroke at one point as my head was pounding and right side of face felt a bit funny. I've taken antihistamines and they are going down a bit.

Not like mossie bites so may have been a spider or summat .Not had a reaction like that before so it must have been a potent little bugger whatever it was

Wonder if you were bitten by ticks?

Did your legs come up like a target board?

Or, do they, since it might take four weeks.

I got a spider bite doing my parents shed roof a few years ago.  My leg swelled so much the skin hurt all the time, and it took a fortnight to go down so I could walk normally.

5 hours ago, omegod said:

I've had a not dissimilar reaction to ant bites on a couple of occasions.

Unhelpfully where I live now is basically one giant anthill with a town built on top, they're bloody everywhere.  If it's still bothering you after 24 hours don't hesitate to seek professional medical advice.  Allergic reactions can get really nasty and don't necessarily do it immediately.

ADIF The company which runs the infrastructure for the Spanish railway network recently dumped some goods wagons into a river. The train had derailed and it was "too difficult" to remove them from site.

Twiiter video

So much for European standards in environment issues.

No wonder why the old king of Spain has let the country, it is going to the dogs.

36 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

ADIF The company which runs the infrastructure for the Spanish railway network recently dumped some goods wagons into a river. The train had derailed and it was "too difficult" to remove them from site.

Twiiter video

So much for European standards in environment issues.

No wonder why the old king of Spain has let the country, it is going to the dogs.

That's a bit poor.

I notice one of the things people are taking issue with in the Twitter comments is that the wagon brake shoes contain asbestos - surely that's no longer the case in this day and age?

Ended up hitching a ride on a tow truck. Couldn't trust a car with brakes this dodgy. Annoyingly, my pulling the ABS fuse to see if it's viable to drive home (it was not) and then reinstalling it seems to have cured the issue. Or at least made it a bugger to diagnose since it doesn't want to occur now. Still, I don't want to drive that car before we fix whatever it was. Can't afford having brakes that might fail.

IMG_20200804_153917.thumb.jpg.933850a34c68a0abb4f84c9a900cc3ff.jpg

Sitting at my computer yesterday working away and got up to make lunch and out of nowhere comes  agonising stomach pains. 

It feels like acid at the top of my stomach . My wife brought home a big bottle of peptoc stuff from her pharmacy but I'm still sore.

Hopefully I can get a telephone docs appointment in the next few days.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, omegod said:

do a diagnosis as per below, you'd be hoping for a code if it's crank sensor but it doesn't always show up. could possibly sort something later in the week 

https://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1189022687

So, the fuel pump is running.  And fuel is getting to the fuel rail. There is no smell of petrol out of the exhaust which logic suggests means the injectors are not opening, which must be the crank sensor not telling the ECU where it is. 

22 hours ago, omegod said:

I think it was more likely to be ants because (as far as I remember), when one bites you it sends out a pheromone to the others to attack, so they join in to 'bring down' the threat. Hence why you got multiple bites. Just my theory. 

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

I think it was more likely to be ants because (as far as I remember), when one bites you it sends out a pheromone to the others to attack, so they join in to 'bring down' the threat. Hence why you got multiple bites. Just my theory. 

Well i'm off to the walk in centre today as one bite is getting a bit naughty !

The BX has decided, now that it's up for sale, to misbehave.  After a few minutes idling, it stalls.  It doesn't seem to be sucking air in, priming the pump while running makes no difference, so it's probably just the pump timing.  I don't care at this point, I'm sick of trying to get to the bottom of whatever this issue is.

£500 and it's yours.

It drives fine, doesn't stall while you're actually moving or misbehave in any way.  I just want the ungrateful thing gone now.

On 8/4/2020 at 5:36 PM, wuvvum said:

That's a bit poor.

I notice one of the things people are taking issue with in the Twitter comments is that the wagon brake shoes contain asbestos - surely that's no longer the case in this day and age?

Got no idea. The press have now picked up on this and ADIF are holding an investigation. Yes that old newspeak again.

Oh for...

Just had a phone call from the garage doing the control arm bush on the Xantia.  I've bought the wrong bush.  Rear bush is fine... it's the front one that's gone.  Perfectly happy to chalk that up to me remembering wrong.

What's really annoying though is that I waited ages to get that flipping bush due to a supplier messing me about...yet I had not one, but three of the ones for the front bushes in the parts stash.

Box has been dropped off at the garage and profuse apologies for my stupidity delivered.  Will definitely be next week before they can get to it at this point but that's just the way of these things.

Does mean I'll need to fill the Jag again this week though which I was hoping to avoid!