The grumpy thread

outlaw118

4 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Ah the good old Cornish, cough - speaks quietly - the Tamar toll is on the way out so that would keep them in........ ?

Bloody Devonians should have to pay to enter our county, not the other way around. On a side note, the story with the Tamar bridge is that the tolls were to cover the costs of construction only. It was built in '61 and the costs were paid off a few years ago. Funnily enough though, the buggers still charge to cross it! 

Just now, wuvvum said:

Something tells me it might be flying ant day today. 

DSC_1168.thumb.JPG.a6bdaae13453ea9a8466425cdf00d716.JPG

Yep, we had volcanoes of flying ants erupting in the front garden on Thursday. Never seen it before but I think it'll be as close to a plague of locusts as I would be comfortable with.

On 7/31/2020 at 8:19 PM, chaseracer said:

Listening to the 2010 Sondheim Prom on R3: Judi Dench 'singing' Send In The Clowns...

VERDICT: she's a fine actor, but she couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!

She is a hundred and eleventy twelve though, bless her.

The thing with that song (and a lot of Sondheim's tunes actually) is that you don't actually have to be a particularly good singer in order to carry off the performance.

Gosh darn it I've just gone and found exactly what I'm looking for.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ca66410574fe5840d60ad339170868ac.jpg

This is full on BUY IT NOW territory for me, just call a delivery person to pick it up and give it to me, worry about what's broken later.  Of course I don't have the asking and what's tied up in the BX wouldn't cover it either.  You can guarantee when I do have the asking I won't find something this perfect out there when I'm actually looking and trying to buy something.  Frig.

Becoming increasingly pissed off with the relentless deployment of COVIDSMOKESCREEN by companies.

Take AA Insurance.  Because of the "international pandemic" we've decided to close our call centre on Sundays.  

Right.  So, out of your huge team, you couldn't rustle up 10 people to take calls for six hours on a Sunday?  Even though you boast that you've closed your call centers and, for the wellbeing of your team, are allowing them to work from home.

Just fucking say it.  You're using this as an opportunity to review how you do things.  

SO, I attempt to make the alterations online. "OOOH - we're under the bonnet atm LOL pmsl" and I can't do it.

Off you fuck.

12 hours ago, vulgalour said:

This is full on BUY IT NOW territory for me, just call a delivery person to pick it up and give it to me, worry about what's broken later.  Of course I don't have the asking and what's tied up in the BX wouldn't cover it either.  You can guarantee when I do have the asking I won't find something this perfect out there when I'm actually looking and trying to buy something.  Frig.

Wont you get a self employed Borris cheque this month ? ? Its for buying cars...

12 hours ago, vulgalour said:

That's lovely. Don't have regrets- pull out every last stop and scrape together the funds to GIB. Hell, you could even do the crowdfunding thing and promise to do updates at every step. 

I notice it's also got offroad rear tyres,  so ideal for offroading. Have you bought it yet? 

I didn't qualify for the first one, I shan't qualify for the second one.  It's just how it is.  I'm down about 30% on my usual income but managing, one of the benefits of not worrying about paying for premises.  I haven't actually stopped trading since the whole thing kicked off, so my drop in income is really down to people not having as much disposable for luxury items.  I'll get through, it just means I too don't get the disposable for luxuries like more cars I don't really need.

Last week my mum whinged her car was going woop-woop-woop. 

The brakes were gammy because she hadn't used it. I said use the bastard more.

I haven't used the 4x4 in months because the air con doesn't work and the Alessi isn't motd. 

The brakes were fucking locked on. The handbrake on one side. I can't boot it forwards as there's a metal fence I'm bound to burst through. So I keep rocking it and get free.

WOOP-WOOP-WOOP. ???

I couldn't give it a proper run as it's on fumes and tesco was rammed.

21 hours ago, Dan the van said:

Just seen a mate who lives Bodmin way.He says there's a fella standing by the A30 westbound dressed as the grim reaper.Which would be funnier if the situation wasn't so serious.Those of us who live in Cornwall are taking Covid very seriously, the Emmetts don't seem to care from what I've seen.Which pisses me off tbh.

So from Monday the A30 is going to be mined at Launceston and the Tamar bridge toll increased from £1.50 to £ 1000000.I wish lol.

When this all kicked off there was a bloke dressed as Plague doctor walking around some village. Police asked him not too as it was scaring other "good" residence of the village. Seems like  sense of humour is has been  removed during  the outbreak.

1 hour ago, vulgalour said:

I didn't qualify for the first one, I shan't qualify for the second one.  It's just how it is.  I'm down about 30% on my usual income but managing, one of the benefits of not worrying about paying for premises.  I haven't actually stopped trading since the whole thing kicked off, so my drop in income is really down to people not having as much disposable for luxury items.  I'll get through, it just means I too don't get the disposable for luxuries like more cars I don't really need.

You're still due the money. It's to make up for loss of income. Having your own premises has nothing to do with it.

I work from home technically. I applied and I got money paid into my bank within three days.

I'll be doing it again in three weeks time.

The last one paid for the mx5 and it's paint job. As above, it's for buying shite.

I think Vulg meant the £10k or £25k that businesses with premises got, as I myself did, but am sure there are some self-employed who were not able to get the SEISS grant. I know those whose PAYE earnings were greater than self-employed profits missed out, for example.

Yeah, I'm talking the grant, not the loan.  I'd been told because I don't pay rent/mortgage on premises and my business is online rather than real world, I don't qualify.  If that was wrong and I do qualify, that's pretty annoying.  I'll stick an application in for this new one then, worst they'll do is say no, I hadn't thought it was worth applying since I didn't get the first one, but it would really help.