The grumpy thread

outlaw118

You're better than me. I smash one one avarage every six months. This s10+ is the record holder. It's just over a year old. I bought one of those folding cases and it's protected the screen multiple times during multiple drops and multiple stood ons etc.

Apparently since the s7 they've all been waterproof. I had 4 s6's in two years. Three were water damaged. Two at work and one in a hot tub incident ?

Popped my back at work yesterday, stuck on the floor for a while before my sister in law took me to the local A&E, got some rather ineffective pain killers and can barely walk today. 

Currently using a walking stick and shuffling like an old man. 

12 minutes ago, paulplom said:

You're better than me. I smash one one avarage every six months. This s10+ is the record holder. It's just over a year old. I bought one of those folding cases and it's protected the screen multiple times during multiple drops and multiple stood ons etc.

Apparently since the s7 they've all been waterproof. I had 4 s6's in two years. Three were water damaged. Two at work and one in a hot tub incident ?

I'm usually pretty careful with stuff.  It doesn't get babied, but having grown up in a family where we were never quite sure if we'd have enough money to feed ourselves from one week to the next, expensive possessions are instinctively treated with care.  So a chunky case always goes with my phones.  Didn't help this time though...

At least I did a good job of it...

IMG_20200729_171021.thumb.jpg.07ef7d13f6088e3f1abaf04cc622786c.jpg

IMG_20200729_171031.thumb.jpg.dee7b8c8d44b311ae4c8460a546860c6.jpg

Need to check later if I was due an upgrade anyway... though I wasn't really planning on it this year as I was still absolutely happy with the phone.

In answer to the obvious question: Left the thing sitting on the rear bumper of the car when working on the exhaust (because the pockets in these trousers are useless) and drove off with it still sitting there.

It stayed there for about 3/4 of a mile before dropping off and landing in the middle of a 70mph dual carriageway.

Feck. Did you run it over?

I was brought up the same way. We had nowt and had to earn everything. The first new bike I had, I bought myself when I was 18.

I'm trying to instill that in my kids but it's tough in a throw away society. The boys not so bad. But the daughter'll break a tablet or phone and expect another.

I always just buy my phones. My contract or whatever is only a tenner a month. It's cheaper to do it that way unless you keep smashing them of course.

9 minutes ago, paulplom said:

How did you even find it!

Retracing my steps basically. 

Contract is probably a bit dearer in the long run, but we usually do - this being the first exception - get six years out of each handset as I pass my one on to my other half when I start getting pestered by Vodafone telling me I'm due an upgade, and I always make it clear to them that I'm not interested in paying more.  This one actually now that I look at the numbers, Vodafone didn't actually make much money out of me from.  Just a shame I won't be passing it onto anyone else this time for obvious reasons!

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

I'm usually pretty careful with stuff.  It doesn't get babied, but having grown up in a family where we were never quite sure if we'd have enough money to feed ourselves from one week to the next, expensive possessions are instinctively treated with care.  So a chunky case always goes with my phones.  Didn't help this time though...

At least I did a good job of it...

IMG_20200729_171021.thumb.jpg.07ef7d13f6088e3f1abaf04cc622786c.jpg

IMG_20200729_171031.thumb.jpg.dee7b8c8d44b311ae4c8460a546860c6.jpg

Need to check later if I was due an upgrade anyway... though I wasn't really planning on it this year as I was still absolutely happy with the phone.

In answer to the obvious question: Left the thing sitting on the rear bumper of the car when working on the exhaust (because the pockets in these trousers are useless) and drove off with it still sitting there.

It stayed there for about 3/4 of a mile before dropping off and landing in the middle of a 70mph dual carriageway.

Bloody hell thats shattered impressively! first photo actually looks quite pretty with the colour gradient across it , at least its physically in one piece does it still power up so you can get your stuff off of it?

if it makes you feel better I almost dropped my phone taking a picture of this temporary traffic light when walking home from a driving lesson yesterday 

was the first time id actually seen one up close on foot (ie not just passing in a vehicle) so grabbed a photo LOL

image.thumb.png.86d5179e235deaec27a1fe3dab79a80e.png

I wonder if its just set to cycle on a set timer, or if there is some wireless communication/intelligence going on... (there does seem to besome sort of sensor above the red light)

image.thumb.png.32003759e9614f6be2640668fc591920.png

image.thumb.png.4cb1f4c07f72e7e11f5125ea41a72acd.png

(as a side note I dont see anything holding it down, wonder what would stop someone just walking away with it/lobbing it in the back of their van LOL, like the next level up from taking one of those yellow flashing beacons LOL)

Same here, goes back to Grandparents in the war, both sets would always repair rather than replace and that seeped down through parents to my generation. Younger ones don't seem to care though.

I used to upgrade after about 2 years mainly as I could for about the same money, paid through my business (thus not paying it to taxman) and batteries seemed to drop off about that age. Then I got wise, and ended contracts, buying a new Moto G6 which i kept in a horizontal holster clipped to my belt as with my previous 3 or 4 phones. Because such holsters are hard to find, and the supplier only had one that was slightly big, it wasn't a snug fit. Therefore if the flap wasn't magnetically held shut, then phone could slide out. Forwards. Like when you're standing having a pee.....

Don't submerge your phone in coloured water, kids.

31 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Bloody hell thats shattered impressively! first photo actually looks quite pretty with the colour gradient across it , at least its physically in one piece does it still power up so you can get your stuff off of it?

if it makes you feel better I almost dropped my phone taking a picture of this temporary traffic light when walking home from a driving lesson yesterday 

was the first time id actually seen one up close on foot (ie not just passing in a vehicle) so grabbed a photo LOL

image.thumb.png.86d5179e235deaec27a1fe3dab79a80e.png

I wonder if its just set to cycle on a set timer, or if there is some wireless communication/intelligence going on... (there does seem to besome sort of sensor above the red light)

image.thumb.png.32003759e9614f6be2640668fc591920.png

image.thumb.png.4cb1f4c07f72e7e11f5125ea41a72acd.png

(as a side note I dont see anything holding it down, wonder what would stop someone just walking away with it/lobbing it in the back of their van LOL, like the next level up from taking one of those yellow flashing beacons LOL)

That will be a vehicle presence detector at the top, I imagine the two units speak to each other via bog standard WiFi these days.  I imagine they probably have cellular connectivity as well so folks from the Council can dial in to adjust settings - that was the case with the temporary signals they had back when I worked at the Council anyway.  Ours had GPS trackers in that would report back the location whenever you contacted them which made nicking then a bad idea.

The portable message signs were programmed by simply sending a text message to the relevant phone number - and yes, they did get spam on occasion too.  I have seen one showing "We have been trying to contact you about your recent car ac...." while driving down King Street.

No signs of life from the phone sadly, but no data lost aside from a couple of PDFs I'll need to find somewhere again as everything else is automatically backed up to my Google account anyway.  Yes they are the evil overlords, but at least they're making themselves useful while stealing all of our data.

It looks like I am actually due an upgrade...will need to have a think.  Looks like I can switch to a P30 Pro at no extra cost.  That's what I'll probably wind up doing given it's basically an upgraded version of the same phone it looks like from a quick glance.

Just buying another P20 Pro looks like it will set me back north of £400 for a new (rather than reconditioned) one...so probably will just stick with grabbing an upgrade.

On the plus side my SIM card survived, so am back up and running for now with my old P9.

Still irked I did something so stupid.

Fcuk. A mechanic replacing the gearbox on my mum's Civic cocked up and accidentally pulled one of the inner CV joints apart. He proceeded to take the boot off to put the joint back together and in doing that he let all the grease come out. Wouldn't be a big deal if we could just repack it with regular moly stuff, but Honda seem to use their own 11 herbs and spices type of special grease that seems to be mostly unobtainium online. If we can't get it through a dealer we're up shit creek. If the machanic hadn't screwed up, the gearbox replacement would have been done by now and my mum would have her car back. As it is, the Civic will be stuck at the shop for an unspecified amount of time until we can get the supposedly unique needle bearing grease that's required.

Interestingly, cheap replacement CV joints seem to come with a apack of moly grease, which means they won't be getting proper lubrication to begin with and therefore have no chance to last all that long. Nice.

That will be a vehicle presence detector at the top, I imagine the two units speak to each other via bog standard WiFi these days.  I imagine they probably have cellular connectivity as well so folks from the Council can dial in to adjust settings - that was the case with the temporary signals they had back when I worked at the Council anyway.  Ours had GPS trackers in that would report back the location whenever you contacted them which made nicking then a bad idea.

ah interesting yeah I had figured such :) 

The portable message signs were programmed by simply sending a text message to the relevant phone number - and yes, they did get spam on occasion too.  I have seen one showing "We have been trying to contact you about your recent car ac...." while driving down King Street.

LOL thats amusing, did not know that :) you would think it would require some sort of specific phrase to prefix the new message before it would display it to stop such random crap making it through LOL

Painted a radiator today and it was absolutely the best spray job I have ever done.  Took it upstairs to the bathroom to refit it and yes the room was a little cluttered but it was fine leaning gently against the door whilst I put the fittings into the wall.

A slight gust of wind through the window was just enough to move the door a couple of inches which set about something from a game of Mousetrap..  The radiator toppled forward, clipped the edge of the bath, sliced past my toolbox, and clattered comically over every sharp tool on the floor.  If it had been a cartoon it would have undoubtedly then bounced into a field of forks before being shot at by some sort of possum in a hat who inexplicably manned a Bofors gun. 

Surface was completely and utterly ruined and wife’s advice of “you probably shouldn’t have left it against the door” was not that helpful.  I am still FUCKING LIVID.

things fucking up - and driving me mad.

mother has a k13? micra, one of them from Pune in India.

had it from new, its what, 7 years old now and the fucker keeps flattening its battery. the battery on the car is only a couple of months old, but this morning she went out to it, and put keyin. nothing.

nada.

now't. 

and it had been fine earlier in the day. but no, now she's going out, it won't work.

now jump start it, its fine, for a bit. 

except i aint got my car, kerry has it so i cannot get it going just now, and me dad he's off out in his car, so that won't work either.

googling suggests that the immobiliser on these goes tits up, but,remember i am not a mechanic, or electrician either for that matter. so it  could be that, or  it could be something else that is completely different.

so trying to explain this to a 70 year old, that the indian (nee renner, and no doubt cheap chinese) electric gubbins buried up under the dashboard is playing up and that i cannot do anything about it, well that has been hard going!

oddly the battery on the car is TINY! its half the size of the battery tray, and looks like a motorbike battery its that wee. it is though, i'm told the right one for the car?? and its not in a box, just a tray with a clamp. i thought all new cars had to have the battery in a box with a lid? well me mam's micra, and the old mans new-ish x-trail both don't have their batteries in a box.....

plus our 20 year old telly has been playing up, switching itself off, and the picture has also gone either VERY red or very GREEN briefly.

so the tube is going on it guess, and i'm going to have to have a new telly, irritatingly the bloody thing is fine at the moment.

just what i want to have to do, go into Middlesbrough when the chinese disease is still doing the rounds.

though to be honest,i dunno what i'm more pissed off about, a dying telly, having to spend some money to go and buy a new telly,or the inevitable fuck about that going to friggin' currys to buy this new telly will be. i even got kerry to bring the Rover back home this evening , an not the Mini 1000 as planned so we can go for this new telly.  You won't get a telly in the back of a mini. especially as some of these new ones are bigger than the car is!

we could have,i supposed tied it to the roof of the mini, mr bean style?

oh and apparently kerry's equally elderly laptop-a-ma-bob is fucking up too.

i wonder what else can go wrong?

place bets now........

FFS. Tried to do an oil change on the Lexus. The fucking filter is THE most awkward position I have ever had. Not a single tool I've got will work and it's cramped. I need a cup tool or the 3 pronged one and j Raj out if time. Fuming. Jinxed myself saying how easy Japanese cars were. What an absolute cunt of s location for the oil filter.

FML. Now I'll have to walk it to get the right tool. Ughhhhhhhb

1 hour ago, Borsuq said:

Fcuk. A mechanic replacing the gearbox on my mum's Civic cocked up and accidentally pulled one of the inner CV joints apart. He proceeded to take the boot off to put the joint back together and in doing that he let all the grease come out. Wouldn't be a big deal if we could just repack it with regular moly stuff, but Honda seem to use their own 11 herbs and spices type of special grease that seems to be mostly unobtainium online. If we can't get it through a dealer we're up shit creek. If the machanic hadn't screwed up, the gearbox replacement would have been done by now and my mum would have her car back. As it is, the Civic will be stuck at the shop for an unspecified amount of time until we can get the supposedly unique needle bearing grease that's required.

Interestingly, cheap replacement CV joints seem to come with a apack of moly grease, which means they won't be getting proper lubrication to begin with and therefore have no chance to last all that long. Nice.

Honda don't make CV joints, nor do they make grease; get some moly grease in it and get on with your life.

11 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Honda don't make CV joints, nor do they make grease; get some moly grease in it and get on with your life.

Obviously not, but that doesn't change the fact that this set of bearings has a specific type of grease they're supposed to work with, which definitely doesn't look like any moly grease I've ever seen. Unless the whole "don't use moly for needle bearings" thing is a myth, I'd rather get hold of either what Honda recommend or a proper replacement.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:52 PM, jakebullet said:

The local radio station (with lots of others) has been bought out and is now part of "the greatest hits radio network". At first I thought this is a bit of alright, no chart shite or that bastard Sheeran. Wrong. Turns out they have a few petrol station greatest hits of the 80's cd's and play them constantly. They're financing Philip Oakey's retirement by playing "together in electric dreams" eleventy million times a day.

Local station SpiritFM has been taken over by them. The playlist hasn’t changed in the 5 years I’ve lived here.

same 15 songs all day every day