The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Finally made time to go and tackle the back brakes on the Vectra today, spent 40 minutes tearing the house apart looking for my box of Allen keys, can't find them anywhere. FFS.

Make other plans, Vec now pressed into taxi duties instead, about half 4 i go into the glove box and find i'd already taken the fuckers down and thrown them in there, so could have done them all along.

Daft cunt.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just discovered that some scumbag has wandered into our front garden at some point in the last couple of days and helped themselves to about 95% of our rose bushes, most of which were in bloom.  All the flowers have gone and the one nearest to the front door pretty much the whole bush has just been snipped off a couple of inches from the ground...WT-actual-F?!?

If I ever make a time machine first order of business will be going back to 2013 and kicking myself firmly up the backside for entertaining the idea of moving down here...I seriously cannot deal with any more nonsense like this. 

You might find them for sale at the nearest garden centre....

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder if they bothered restoring the camber when resurfacing. It shouldn't flood to that extent if they had done that properly. 

Or the same as happened in a village near where I used to live back around 2000. 

Council subcontracted resurfacing work to a third party.  They did a lovely job of making the road nice and smooth...shame they resurfaced over all the drains!  Think about half a dozen houses got flooded the first time there was heavy rain after the work was done.

friend is supposed to be going spain for a fortnight in august ?

hes done this all the time hes worked at our place - 3 -4 years

came back off furlug and he was talking about it cos its not far off and he was saying theyve fucked him over with the hotel - been in it before and rebooked cos they liked it

apparently they cant have them now and they were put in a hotel cheaper but cheaper for a reason

he kicked off and hopefully itll be sorted

but on the news today - theyve put spain back on the quarantine list

oh dear - wonder how thats gonna work out for him.........

ive been messed about since easter but as a lone traveller and mostly flexible i can chop and change and only book stuff i can change - mustnt be fun if theres a group

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wonder if they bothered restoring the camber when resurfacing. It shouldn't flood to that extent if they had done that properly. 

No I don't think they have! Granted it was raining fucking hard, but it's never been that bad! Hit the first one at about 40 and scrambled down a gear and swerved out) nothing coming the other way) but had to go back in (now doing 30 in 2nd) to not smash the front wheel on a traffic island. Further up it was full stop to let loads of cars coming the other way through, then again 2nd gear high revs through the middle. The 9 miles of old road were fine, few blocked drains but no aquaplaning

Kids fucking loved it! Once I was satisfied the car hadn't taken in water, and a good prod on the brakes as they really went shit (deffo on the list now) I was happier too

2 hours ago, Mally said:

It's not fair!

I'm in Spain, wearing a mask full time, and when I get  home they are throwing my key away to protect you lot who whinge about having to wear one at all.

Apologies those who don't whinge.

47 minutes ago, hairnet said:

friend is supposed to be going spain for a fortnight in august ?

hes done this all the time hes worked at our place - 3 -4 years

came back off furlug and he was talking about it cos its not far off and he was saying theyve fucked him over with the hotel - been in it before and rebooked cos they liked it

apparently they cant have them now and they were put in a hotel cheaper but cheaper for a reason

he kicked off and hopefully itll be sorted

but on the news today - theyve put spain back on the quarantine list

oh dear - wonder how thats gonna work out for him.........

ive been messed about since easter but as a lone traveller and mostly flexible i can chop and change and only book stuff i can change - mustnt be fun if theres a group

Snap

2 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Hands up if you think that the thousands of visitors who are in Spain now or will come in the near future will really go and isolate?

Nope nor do I.

I doubt it , I am supposed to be heading to Lanzarote next Sunday, it's got virtually no covid and the new guidelines say non essential travel to there is absolutely fine and dandy as it's so low but you still have to isolate on return so that's me fucked  

It's a shame Michael Gove or some other Tory twat hasn't got a holiday home there as I'm sure it'd be exempt 

5 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

Hands up if you think that the thousands of visitors who are in Spain now or will come in the near future will really go and isolate?

Nope nor do I.

I have eBay  collection commitments, But I'm looking for ways round it.

It's like a cat flap that let's you out but not in.

Any one in Stoke can pick a Three piece suite up for the price of fuel and drop it in Rochdale, feel free  to offer.  

No?, thought  not. Wouldn't put it past Bub to tie it to the trike though.

I bought it in Spain when I was a free man.

13 minutes ago, omegod said:

I doubt it , I am supposed to be heading to Lanzarote next Sunday, it's got virtually no covid and the new guidelines say non essential travel to there is absolutely fine and dandy as it's so low but you still have to isolate on return so that's me fucked  

It's a shame Michael Gove or some other Tory twat hasn't got a holiday home there as I'm sure it'd be exempt 

Canaries aren't Spain are they

Well they are, but they're not.

Or something.

Edit, I'm pretty sure Canaries might be OK. Ask that Barnard Castle bloke.

1 minute ago, chodweaver said:

Acherly, I'm close to Stoke and have a Grand Voyager that could hold the sofa and one chair, probably. I'd get the lot if there was somewhere i could bung it till you got back.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer, was a bit tongue in cheek.  I'll be back in time, but quarantined in house for 14 days.

I was picking it up the same day my son is sky diving. So he can't do it. Just have to organise another day.

Or put my mask on.

Up to the seller really, they won't want me in their house, they know I'm in Spain now.

27 minutes ago, Mally said:

Canaries aren't Spain are they

Well they are, but they're not.

Or something.

Edit, I'm pretty sure Canaries might be OK. Ask that Barnard Castle bloke.

Looking like they are on the list, 1000 miles from Madrid like but still a no go for me as I can't take 3 weeks off 

Thanks for the offer, was a bit tongue in cheek.  I'll be back in time, but quarantined in house for 14 days.
I was picking it up the same day my son is sky diving. So he can't do it. Just have to organise another day.

Or put my mask on.
Up to the seller really, they won't want me in their house, they know I'm in Spain now.
Oh, ok! The offer stands, esp if I can get all of it in at one go, I could run it up to Rochdale. Make the best of your hols!

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, omegod said:

Looking like they are on the list, 1000 miles from Madrid like but still a no go for me as I can't take 3 weeks off 

As far as I can see Canaries are not on the FCO banned list.

If I'm right your holiday will still go a head.

I'm not certain if you need to Quarantine or not?

I would think not.

If your flight leaves and you decide not to travel, you will likely lose all your money.

Up to you, but I'd be on the plane.

Do not take anything I say as true, most of it usually is, but they change the rules faster thanI  can read.

14 hours ago, Mally said:

It's not fair!

I'm in Spain, wearing a mask full time, and when I get  home they are throwing my key away to protect you lot who whinge about having to wear one at all.

Apologies those who don't whinge.

Ha ha. 

Said with the greatest respect. ?????

How will self isolating impact you ? Can you work from home ? 

10 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Nope nor do I.

Depends if thier boss, knows their holiday destination. 

On 7/18/2020 at 10:51 PM, Angrydicky said:

My parents live on a road which is used as a rat run from the A127 to the seafront and back again. There’s a staggered crossroads almost opposite the house where the seafront traffic turns right. 

Now the neighbours here are great but the amount of boy racer twats flying past the house in their barried up shit is really pissing me off. I’ve been lying here in bed listening to it all, made worse by the fact the window is open as it’s a hot night.

I’m going to attempt to describe the sound I’ve been hearing all evening.

”WARRRRRRRP POP POP POP POP OOMTISHOOMTISHOOMTISH (shite music on da sub) EEEUUUURRRR (tyres squealing as they fly round the corner on the door handles) WARRRRRP POP POP POP” etc

The ridiculous popping and banging exhausts that the current crop of yoof all have on their “sick” Fiesta STs etc frighten the dog, he goes mad every time one goes off outside, also to cap it off some dickhead is letting off fireworks nearby as well.

Then there’s the Subaru’s etc with those ridiculous  drainpipe exhausts and dump valves, but they’re nowhere near as annoying as the popping and banging ones (usually Fords).

Also loads of excessively loud motorbikes tearing past the house at ridiculous speeds.

Why do so many people have dreadful sounding obnoxious exhausts on their cars?

There is also the fact that most of them are doing between 35 and 50 despite it being a residential 30mph area. It’s not just the barried stuff that’s guilty of speeding along here, a lot of modern prestige stuff like fat SUVs are guilty of it. Most of the neighbours, as well as us have lost wing mirrors from our parked cars due to how close and fast people come along the road. In our case the mirror was totally obliterated and no note was left.

With the  state of the surface of this road, I’m surprised they drive that fast really. 

As a follow up to this, over the course of the week as I was working outside, I noticed it was the same four chavmobiles (a Focus, Skyline, Fiesta and a Fiat 500 Abarth) that were making the majority of the noise.

The worst one by a long stretch was the Fiesta, a MK6 with blacked out windows, 'sick' lows, stickers, and a hugely loud popping and banging exhaust. The Abarth was the only other one that popped but it was nowhere near as bad as the Fiesta. The lad with the Fiesta seems to stop outside our house to drop off a girl who lives probably 3-4 houses along. Why he doesn't drop her off outside her own house is beyond me, maybe her dad has had a go at him about his car. I watched him as he then took off, flooring it through the gears then deliberately lifting off to make it bang, bang, bang, just as he went past her. 

Anyway he turns around in the cul-de-sac and came back up the road towards ours. By this point I'm standing at the end of the drive giving him a filthy look and shaking my head. He got stuck in traffic right opposite the driveway. He clocked me shaking my head at him and shouted (over the noise of his car) "Why are you shaking your head?" so I shouted back "It's your flaming exhaust mate, it's far too loud, what a racket!"

He just laughed and floored it away, popping and banging.

I wouldn't have normally said anything but I think this lad is taking the piss, the exhaust is so ridiculously loud, the bangs are like fireworks going off plus he's always trying to make it bang with his driving style. He didn't look like the typical chavvy thug, just a daft kid but I had to say something, since he wouldn't let it go. 

I did laugh to myself afterwards thinking what Victor Meldrew would have said in that situation. I'm only 29 but I despair of the yoof of today, I really do!

3 hours ago, New POD said:

Ha ha. 

Said with the greatest respect. ?????

How will self isolating impact you ? Can you work from home ? 

Ha ha ha.

I've mentioned many times that I retired at 55, and I'm 74 now.

Your recollection of previous conversations is poor, I'd expect better from an engineer of your calibre.

Also said with the greatest respect.

Had another look at some rust on the Kia sorento... I think the technical term is "its proper fucking fucked mate"

It's amazing how much it has deteriorated in about a year, I think its beyond my skills to fix so will be selling as spares or repair

1 hour ago, Mally said:

Ha ha ha.

I've mentioned many times that I retired at 55, and I'm 74 now.

Your recollection of previous conversations is poor, I'd expect better from an engineer of your calibre.

Also said with the greatest respect.

????

I do feel quite forgetful today. 

Idiot sister bought a shonky van chopped into a horse box just before lockdown kicked in. So she stuck it on sorn and left it. Hey idiot, disconnect the battery or it'll go flat and be fucked.

Fast forwards to now. Thinking about retaxing it, so tried to start it and 100% deado. What a surprise. Can I go jump it with the disco? Suppose. It's a renault thing. I know nothing about them. Where's the battery? She pops bonnet and triumphantly points in an engine direction. Er, that's not a battery. There is a battery jump point, connected up and that's good enough to get the lights on but not turn it over.

Eventually find battery hidden in cab floor, and it reluctantly starts. Lets go look at her fine* horse while it runs a bit. Oh joy, just what I always wanted. Close the gate she says with a smirk. That would be 'cos the gate is shit, and forcing it shut you put your hand on the post which has a handy* electric fence wire in just the right place to zap the fuck out of me. She pisses herself as her cunning plan worked.

Still I'll have the last laugh as no doubt brakes are seized on.

Debit card is fucked. Magnetic strip is worn out so ATM keeps saying card is faulty, and the chip for chip 'n pin is no longer readable by card readers. Even the contactless thing barely registers a signal. 

Into the distancing queue for the bank first thing in the morning.

I remember when cards used to last up to the expiry date.....

22 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

As a follow up to this, over the course of the week as I was working outside, I noticed it was the same four chavmobiles (a Focus, Skyline, Fiesta and a Fiat 500 Abarth) that were making the majority of the noise.

The worst one by a long stretch was the Fiesta, a MK6 with blacked out windows, 'sick' lows, stickers, and a hugely loud popping and banging exhaust. The Abarth was the only other one that popped but it was nowhere near as bad as the Fiesta. The lad with the Fiesta seems to stop outside our house to drop off a girl who lives probably 3-4 houses along. Why he doesn't drop her off outside her own house is beyond me, maybe her dad has had a go at him about his car. I watched him as he then took off, flooring it through the gears then deliberately lifting off to make it bang, bang, bang, just as he went past her. 

Anyway he turns around in the cul-de-sac and came back up the road towards ours. By this point I'm standing at the end of the drive giving him a filthy look and shaking my head. He got stuck in traffic right opposite the driveway. He clocked me shaking my head at him and shouted (over the noise of his car) "Why are you shaking your head?" so I shouted back "It's your flaming exhaust mate, it's far too loud, what a racket!"

He just laughed and floored it away, popping and banging.

I wouldn't have normally said anything but I think this lad is taking the piss, the exhaust is so ridiculously loud, the bangs are like fireworks going off plus he's always trying to make it bang with his driving style. He didn't look like the typical chavvy thug, just a daft kid but I had to say something, since he wouldn't let it go. 

I did laugh to myself afterwards thinking what Victor Meldrew would have said in that situation. I'm only 29 but I despair of the yoof of today, I really do!

Stand outside in a white shirt and point a black hairdryer at them. Fuckers will put the brake pedal through the floor trying to slow down.