The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Proper effin' grumpy twat here! Cannot acces Barclays online banking just get a message about my browser sent a rude message and I have been reported for being a pervert (actually: your browser sent a request our server did not understand), my door lock is broken so I can't lock the door, I can't tax the car and the dogs are both covered in paint from the decoraters.

Plus, I took them out, Chester fell in love with a Rockweiler (sp?) and buggered off and refused to come back - I nearly left the sod to it, and every driver on the road can't drive! Apart from me who is perfect obviously :) 

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

The local eastern european tyre emporium guy fixed it for a fiver. Didn't take the wheel off or even let the air out. He just plugged it with a red rubber thing and blew the tyre to the correct pressure.

20200715_142634.jpg

20200715_140737.jpg

Supposed to take the wheel off, tyre off, inspect, looks a big tool that , likely a big hole fnarr.

If repairable plug from inside with large head so it can't pull out, balance, refit. Wallet out.

Be reet, It's on the back anyway, waddyou want for a fiver.

Edit, red plug temporary. If he'd done a proper* job he'd have used black.

First time I've had a puncture fixed where they haven't took the wheel off. 

I'd rather it was done properly. I would hate to think what would happen if the plug came out at 120 on the A19.

The tyres are the same age as the van and have 39k miles on them. I might change them anyway if I ever get two minutes. When I changed the fronts I put michelin quashqi tyres on (same size), they have much better grip although would void my insurance no doubt if that plug came out on the A19

Well that was annoying.

We've had a tree felling company in today to get rid of the oversized monster that's tearing up the driveway today.

IMG_20200716_211242.thumb.jpg.59dbb7bc24e7a02dfb1acb12951f65d0.jpg

85% of the way through the job they found a nest with a pigeon in.  So they'll need to come back in a week to see if it's moved on by then.

We now have a tree that is totally bare aside from the top couple of layers of branches, looks ridiculous.   Couldn't have been one of the trees round the back of the house, could it?  Nope...got to be the one out front.

22 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Well that was annoying.

We've had a tree felling company in today to get rid of the oversized monster that's tearing up the driveway today.

IMG_20200716_211242.thumb.jpg.59dbb7bc24e7a02dfb1acb12951f65d0.jpg

85% of the way through the job they found a nest with a pigeon in.  So they'll need to come back in a week to see if it's moved on by then.

We now have a tree that is totally bare aside from the top couple of layers of branches, looks ridiculous.   Couldn't have been one of the trees round the back of the house, could it?  Nope...got to be the one out front.

Happy to see you have managed to start getting rid of it/won your battle against the council to get rid of it? (or is that another tree?!)

5 hours ago, MikeR said:

FFS cant any thing be left in peace , what do they hope to do , soak in WD40 and crank it up again ...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1310295/Titanic-ship-voice-marconi-wireless-telegraph

must all about the telly rights for the documentary , a pile of salt water eaten wood and copper is not going to look like much .

Might be better to try making a working replica 

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

Happy to see you have managed to start getting rid of it/won your battle against the council to get rid of it? (or is that another tree?!)

The council have utterly failed to provide anything in black and white to say it can't be touched, and I've the paper trail to show I've been trying to get a yay/nay answer out of them going back five years - so it's going.  Especially as I know full well that they wouldn't hesitate to send me the bill for damage to the footway etc when it utterly undermines it.

There definitely isn't a formal tree preservation order on it, just seems to be some vague 40 year old word of mouth "agreement" that was something to do with the Homeworld '81 development.  Which as far as we've been able to ascertain isn't written down anywhere.

We've good reasons to remove it at this stage on safety and maintenance grounds anyway.  It's utterly undermined one side of our driveway and soon will do the same to the other side, has started to lift the footway and it's far too big for being so close to the properties.  If it came down in strong winds it would be nasty.

36 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Ordered two boxes of Ffp2 masks from Toolstation, drove 10 miles to collect, 1 box of Ffp2, the other Ffp1..... Saw a little Lancia whilst sitting in the car

IMG_20200717_132601.thumb.jpg.d339879cf4cc8e4f82df7522bcc8424d.jpg

Got home to find the Mrs had ordered a set of masks and filters from Boots ?

I came close to telling the guy at tool station to shove his stuff up his arse yesterday 

went into buy something , he shouted from the door , have you got the codes ,

no there’s no pencils out here 

he brings one out ,no index I can see in the catalogue so it takes me a while to find everything , I go back in , he takes it off me , inputs the numbers , 3 of the 6  items are out of stock so I ask for an alternative which sets him off in basil fawlty mode , Right OK I really want to go home but let’s see what we’ve got 

I’d got no idea what time it was not did I know they shut at 5pm , one of the alternatives wasn’t in the correct bin so that set him off again , he seemed a bit I’ve just done 3 years at uni and this shit job is all it got me.

I seem to have misplaced my FM transmitter. Took it out of the Navara to use in the Polonez, but then discovered the lighter in that wasn't working. I have 0 recollection of what happened to the transmitter after that. :(

Shame, because now that the 12v outlet in the FSO is working I'd quite like deploy some bangin tunez.

Bastard conveyancing solicitors. Not just mine for selling the house, but the buyers solicitors too. Supposed to have exchanged this week, but haven't because of "backlogs". I want to get out, buyer wants to move in. 

So wont be getting my booked ferry on Wednesday. That's £120 odd wasted. Can't book anything until I have signed the documents, by which time costs will be much higher.

Living in my house with no furniture, so not comfortable at all. Sat in the car last night with my tablet watching a film, as a far nicer alternative.

49 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Bastard conveyancing solicitors. Not just mine for selling the house, but the buyers solicitors too. Supposed to have exchanged this week, but haven't because of "backlogs". I want to get out, buyer wants to move in. 

So wont be getting my booked ferry on Wednesday. That's £120 odd wasted. Can't book anything until I have signed the documents, by which time costs will be much higher.

Living in my house with no furniture, so not comfortable at all. Sat in the car last night with my tablet watching a film, as a far nicer alternative.

Can I suggest that your solicitors waiting room will be quite a comfortable place to wait, all day and every day until they are done.

That is a serious suggestion as well.

2 hours ago, Tickman said:

Can I suggest that your solicitors waiting room will be quite a comfortable place to wait, all day and every day until they are done.

That is a serious suggestion as well.

My solicitors are in Leeds. I'm in Essex.

I did tell them i could go up there to sign the papers to save time sending them through the postal system (the documents can't be signed electronically it seems). They said no (isn't that no surprise).

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

My solicitors are in Leeds. I'm in Essex.

I did tell them i could go up there to sign the papers to save time sending them through the postal system (the documents can't be signed electronically it seems). They said no (isn't that no surprise).

We did ours by them sending them to us, we printed them, signed them, scanned them and emailed them back as pdfs.

Solicitor was in Durham, 10 miles away but had an office in Birtley, four miles away :)

The only deviance from that was they wanted a cheque for the land search, anyone's guess why.  As I worked in Birtley it took only a couple of minutes to call in with is.

The local radio station (with lots of others) has been bought out and is now part of "the greatest hits radio network". At first I thought this is a bit of alright, no chart shite or that bastard Sheeran. Wrong. Turns out they have a few petrol station greatest hits of the 80's cd's and play them constantly. They're financing Philip Oakey's retirement by playing "together in electric dreams" eleventy million times a day.

My parents live on a road which is used as a rat run from the A127 to the seafront and back again. There’s a staggered crossroads almost opposite the house where the seafront traffic turns right. 

Now the neighbours here are great but the amount of boy racer twats flying past the house in their barried up shit is really pissing me off. I’ve been lying here in bed listening to it all, made worse by the fact the window is open as it’s a hot night.

I’m going to attempt to describe the sound I’ve been hearing all evening.

”WARRRRRRRP POP POP POP POP OOMTISHOOMTISHOOMTISH (shite music on da sub) EEEUUUURRRR (tyres squealing as they fly round the corner on the door handles) WARRRRRP POP POP POP” etc

The ridiculous popping and banging exhausts that the current crop of yoof all have on their “sick” Fiesta STs etc frighten the dog, he goes mad every time one goes off outside, also to cap it off some dickhead is letting off fireworks nearby as well.

Then there’s the Subaru’s etc with those ridiculous  drainpipe exhausts and dump valves, but they’re nowhere near as annoying as the popping and banging ones (usually Fords).

Also loads of excessively loud motorbikes tearing past the house at ridiculous speeds.

Why do so many people have dreadful sounding obnoxious exhausts on their cars?

There is also the fact that most of them are doing between 35 and 50 despite it being a residential 30mph area. It’s not just the barried stuff that’s guilty of speeding along here, a lot of modern prestige stuff like fat SUVs are guilty of it. Most of the neighbours, as well as us have lost wing mirrors from our parked cars due to how close and fast people come along the road. In our case the mirror was totally obliterated and no note was left.

With the  state of the surface of this road, I’m surprised they drive that fast really. 

2 minutes ago, Angrydicky said:

My parents live on a road which is used as a rat run from the A127 to the seafront and back again. There’s a staggered crossroads almost opposite the house where the seafront traffic turns right. 

Now the neighbours here are great but the amount of boy racer twats flying past the house in their barried up shit is really pissing me off. I’ve been lying here in bed listening to it all, made worse by the fact the window is open as it’s a hot night.

I’m going to attempt to describe the sound I’ve been hearing all evening.

”WARRRRRRRP POP POP POP POP OOMTISHOOMTISHOOMTISH (shite music on da sub) EEEUUUURRRR (tyres squealing as they fly round the corner on the door handles) WARRRRRP POP POP POP” etc

The ridiculous popping and banging exhausts that the current crop of yoof all have on their “sick” Fiesta STs etc frighten the dog, he goes mad every time one goes off outside, also to cap it off some dickhead is letting off fireworks nearby as well.

Then there’s the Subaru’s etc with those ridiculous dump valves but they’re nowhere near as annoying as the popping and banging ones (usually Fords).

Why do so many people have dreadful sounding obnoxious exhausts on their cars?

There is also the fact that most of them are doing between 35 and 50 despite it being a residential 30mph area. It’s not just the barried stuff that’s guilty of speeding along here, a lot of modern prestige stuff like fat SUVs are guilty of it. Most of the neighbours, as well as us have lost wing mirrors from our parked cars due to how close and fast people come along the road. In our case the mirror was totally obliterated and no note was left.

With the  state of the surface of this road, I’m surprised they drive that fast really. 

This, every night, every day almost. We live right on the transition between a 40 limit going up the hill and a 30 going down. As soon as people pass the sign or even before that, they go into full hillclimb mode. It's not even restricted to normal driving hours, there was some nutter in a BMW thrashing it along the roads after midnight last night. The real kicker is some twat who has a soup can and drainpipe as an exhaust for his single cylinder motorbike. Thrashing it up and down the road every day. He even had his gang of biker friends on the road last weekend and he was still the smallest, and yet loudest bike of the lot. I make it no joke, you can hear him over a mile away in any direction he's going- it's that loud. He's local, around 17 I think, and only started riding his bike when lockdown started. How convenient...

5 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Expanding foam is a good sound insulator...... Said a friend

It's tempting to do something like that but that's bad. my brother has seen him around, a couple times, 2 miles away on a road in the middle of nowhere burning through a cigarette so I have a feeling several of the many daily trips are to satisfy his habit... away from his parents.

1 hour ago, Angrydicky said:

some things never change it seems! http://www.virtualgaz.com/invacarpage.htm (note a lot of the info on that website is sadly not entirely accurate, but the stories etc are a good read :)

What I remember most, and what moves me to write to you, were his stories of the old Greeves Invacar Works. Derry Preston Cobb certainly had a powerful engine in his Invacar. Every time a new improvement came out on the Greeves motorcycle engine (built in the same factory) he insisted on having it on his machine.The final engine was the Greeves version of the Villiers Starmaker racing engine, which was far too fast for the chassis. Employees were instructed NEVER to overtake Derry on the A127 on the way to and from work. He would invariably race them and, with his limited mobiltiy, accidents were common. Actually, he seldom hurt himself as he just landed like a rag doll. His disabiltity made people think he was really badly injured. Derry couldn't bend his body at the hips, so had a special car where the wheelchair was loaded from the rear. When he arrived for work he hooted and they came out and unloaded him.