The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Grump about long term testing and trousers.

Do you remember when magazines would publish reccomendations for products & then the results of a long term test? So that you could buy for example a VHS or a washing machine knowing that a particular example of it hadn't failed over the course of two years. 

Or how about a favourite pair of trousers? They'd wear out, you'd nip back to the shop where you bought them & buy another identical pair which would fit exactly the same as the first.

Those days are gone. They don't make a washing machine or a pair of trousers for much more than ten minutes now, before they replace it with a new, improved, lower cost, better featured version of something that purports to be the same item, but which clearly fucking isn't!

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

they replace it with a new, improved, lower cost, better featured version of something

Nail, head etc.

Being of "generous" proportions, it's difficult enough to get stuff that fits, so when you find something you want to keep at it.

A good few years ago it was Levi 5somethings, perfect wider cut available in fat belly, short leg configuration. After an unfortunate incident with an angle grinder, i set out to buy more. Spotty child in the shop assured me these new numbered ones would fit. No they don't, and my testicles wouldn't be crushed like that until I got married.

Tesco value jeans were discovered to be perfect, and at about a fiver a shot, I've stockpiled. Good job too as they're NLA.

44 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

Nail, head etc.

Being of "generous" proportions, it's difficult enough to get stuff that fits, so when you find something you want to keep at it.

A good few years ago it was Levi 5somethings, perfect wider cut available in fat belly, short leg configuration. After an unfortunate incident with an angle grinder, i set out to buy more. Spotty child in the shop assured me these new numbered ones would fit. No they don't, and my testicles wouldn't be crushed like that until I got married.

Tesco value jeans were discovered to be perfect, and at about a fiver a shot, I've stockpiled. Good job too as they're NLA.

I have bought 4 pairs of black 501's 38 waist x 31 short leg, over the past 4 years.  They are perfect, last about 18 months before they start looking tatty, and whilst they are expensive I've found a source that does them at an internet price, which is still 5-10 times the price of a supermarket own brand. 

Problem is that I've gone from 15 stone to 12 stone 10 in the last 4 months, and when I reach my 12 stone 4 lbs target, they really will be too big for me.  In  fact I'll be going through my wardrobe and archiving clothes from when I was 17 stone 15 years ago.  

The Levis were definitely better quality...not 501's though.

Tried Wranglers at one point too, just didn't feel right y'know?

Good work on the weightloss Squire, I really need to start considering, maybe, perhaps thinking about it too....

On 7/5/2020 at 9:29 AM, Tetleysmooth said:

Tuesday is Mrs Tet's birthday. Wednesday is our 20th wedding anniversary. Thursday is my birthday.

We were going to try to have some sort of celebration Covid permitting. I booked the three days off work. 

Towards the end of last week, Mrs Tet got a call from Barts Hospital. They want her back in to have another stent put in as the one she had done after her heart attack last year looks like it's narrowing again. When has she got to go in? Yup, Wednesday, our anniversary. We're both a bit gutted, but we realise this is much more important than celebrations etc. So, on Wednesday, she will be on her way to that there London in an ambulance at 5am, and I'll be at Tetley Towers worried bloody sick until she returns. Oh well, always next year.

I had my heart attack on my Son's 27th birthday exactly 2 weeks ago.  I'll never be able to forget the date of that "happy" event.  Did they say why it's narrowed ? I only ask because I would like to do everything in my power to NOT have a second stent. 

My wife (ex nurse) has taken over talking to the Cardiac Rehab team, at my request, and I've now been removed from taking one of the many tablets, as my resting heart rate (taken 5 times to be sure) was.............a concerning .............. 41 beats a minute.  It's always been low, hovering around 50, which is probably why I naively assumed that I was as strong as an ox. 

Anyway, give my positive vibes to your wife and tell her to ask for the diazapan, when she's in theatre.  

4 hours ago, angle said:

The ultra shonky XM that lived on my road has been missing a few weeks, presumed dead. 

IMG_20180705_090206.thumb.jpg.fdbcb4c912f9ad4184e052b07749dbc1.jpg

At the same time, someone new has moved in round the corner. 

IMG_20200707_164718.thumb.jpg.caaa9979bfc9863b33ea4aa5629e3572.jpg

There goes the neighbourhood. Bloody gentrification. 

ugh - dunno what i find the more offensive, the pointless POS fashion victim that is the Range Rooney Ewok or the lurid EAT phoenix orange paint.....

27 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

ugh - dunno what i find the more offensive, the pointless POS fashion victim that is the Range Rooney Ewok or the lurid EAT phoenix orange paint.....

Nice colour, shame about the vehicle.

8 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

no, JLR oranges are both horrible.

I dunno really... I rather like the colour, although I preferred Honda's orange they did up until recently. And besides, the colour brown is derived from orange. Having that orange on that car really accentuates its bulbousness though.

17 hours ago, New POD said:

I had my heart attack on my Son's 27th birthday exactly 2 weeks ago.  I'll never be able to forget the date of that "happy" event.  Did they say why it's narrowed ? I only ask because I would like to do everything in my power to NOT have a second stent. 

My wife (ex nurse) has taken over talking to the Cardiac Rehab team, at my request, and I've now been removed from taking one of the many tablets, as my resting heart rate (taken 5 times to be sure) was.............a concerning .............. 41 beats a minute.  It's always been low, hovering around 50, which is probably why I naively assumed that I was as strong as an ox. 

Anyway, give my positive vibes to your wife and tell her to ask for the diazapan, when she's in theatre.  

I am on a monitor in Southport Hospital due to 38 bpm pulse this morning.  

They said cutting out caffeine was supposed to be good for you. 

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

I am on a monitor in Southport Hospital due to 38 bpm pulse this morning. ....

I've had borderline low blood pressure for much of the last 20-odd years. At one point, the GP found it difficult to find a pulse - might have something to do with my lack of enthusiasm for a great many things.

I can't stand coffee either.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:54 PM, wuvvum said:

Would it not be possible though to carry out the smart motorway upgrade in sections, a couple of junctions at a time?  Maybe Hounslow to M25, M25 to Wokingham, Wokingham to Maidenhead, Maidenhead to Reading?  Would avoid the entire population of the home counties losing hours of their lives crawling along at 50 for 30-odd miles.

I see a signage opposite here. At the beginning of the road work there will be a sign that reads the distance of the road being covered by construction work, accurate to 2 decimal places (ROAD CONSTRUCTION NEXT 2.17 MILES) which has always seemed a bit excessive in terms of accuracy but when FINES DOUBLED IN WORK ZONE is in effect, you want to know if you are 2.16 or 2.18 miles away...

Screenshot_20200708-085848_Maps.thumb.jpg.6b7a37ef399e6a26a8d1ea11405fc831.jpg

Then there's Texas, upon which you enter crossing the river on I-10 and immediately hit ROAD CONSTRUCTION NEXT 54 MILES which has been there for the last decade at least. They use the space to store their road construction equipment and cones.

Phil

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I've had borderline low blood pressure for much of the last 20-odd years. At one point, the GP found it difficult to find a pulse - might have something to do with my lack of enthusiasm for a great many things.

I can't stand coffee either.

I love coffee.  After 3 hours on a monitor they sent me home.  My blood pressure isn't so low 105/75. My heart rate went up to 41 or 42.  

I'm.to go back if it drops to 38 for any significant time. Or if I start getting dizzy. Or pains.  I feel fucking miserable. 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:02 PM, New POD said:

I love coffee.  After 3 hours on a monitor they sent me home.  My blood pressure isn't so low 105/75. My heart rate went up to 41 or 42.  

I'm.to go back if it drops to 38 for any significant time. Or if I start getting dizzy. Or pains.  I feel fucking miserable. 

Forgot to add, they have taken my off the beta blockers, and my heart beat is a more normal 44 at rest.  Also feel less tired. 

I've added one cup of real coffee back into my diet, which is a real treat. 

17 hours ago, High Jetter said:

This is not ideal...

Van door 720.jpg

The result of your van driver trying to mate the 2011 Vx Combo with the gates of a customer - a car dealership! Repair or s/h door?

If you can get a second hand door then it's got to be cheaper.  

It took me a year to Find one in the right colour Z20M petrol blue for my omega, but £25 wouldn't cover the paint let alone the Labour. 

But vauxhall  van in white should be easy 

The BX battery looks to be on its way out.  Managed to get it to 50% on the charger and then it started making fizzing noises and the indicator has gone white.  Going to give it a rest and reconnect, sometimes batteries are okay when I've done that with this charger before, sometimes they're not.

The cars are trying my patience just at the moment.  They're both technically road legal and I can't currently use either of them.

Well, as a quick addition to the above, I did manage to get the battery up to 75% according to the charger, it no longer makes the fizzing noises, and the little indicator on the battery is green now.  The only difficulty its now offering is an unwillingness to fully charge so I suspect it's on its last legs and a replacement is due.  Should be good enough to at least get the BX started this weekend I hope.

Currently sat in a field entrance in the Mondeo, waiting for the AA.  Fucking thing ran away on me - clouds of smoke and had to stick it in 6th and stall it.  Probably partially my fault - the oil level is way too high (has been since I bought it) and I hadn't got round to emptying any out.  It has proper pissed me off today mind - it's been doing about 33 mpg rather than the 49 that the computer is telling me.  I semi-deliberately ran it out of fuel earlier just to check it wasn't the fuel gauge talking rubbish - I cunningly had a gallon of diesel in a can in the boot but because of the stupid fucking filler flap design you can't get a fuel can spout in there - or indeed anything that isn't exactly the size of a diesel pump nozzle. 

Fucking moderns. 

3 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

welcome to borrow the Fenlander

Aw thanks man. If all six go down I think I’d need emotional support as well as a Rover loan ?. It was the Volvo the other day - starter motor. I was happily tapping away at it trying to persuade it to spin when it went up in smoke. Trouble is once the smoke has come out, it’s hard to get back in. 

9C86FF49-C6D1-40F2-ADC6-1D5D6CBD488D.thumb.jpeg.10ef343af89870f9d25d9d48125f67f3.jpeg