The grumpy thread

outlaw118

11 hours ago, cobblers said:

Having grown up in 1960's council houses, they always put the light near the window. I suppose it makes sense, back in early electrification days the electric lightbulb was a mainly used to replace sunlight at night time, so they put them in similar places and you can arrange the room to suit.  Council electricians being what they were, afraid of change continued this habit all the way to the 1990s.

I grew up in a house built in 1870-ish, I was 3 when we moved there, 1951. 

It still had gas lights although we never used them other than to see if they still worked.  Th previous owner was the owner of an electrical company - sales and installations - and had of course had the house wired for electricity - his electrician lived across the road.

All the lights were in the centres of the rooms with an additional one over the bed head in some of the bedrooms, operated by a pull cord.  Never seen one near a window yet.

On 5/29/2020 at 4:22 PM, mitsisigma01 said:

25 days before renewal due date is apparently the optimum date for getting quotes (Martin Lewis says so) 

This is bollocks. Martin Bollocks is bollocks. I cannot stand the fucker's idiotic 'hacks'.

The 25 day shit only applies to the Meercat style comparison sites, where a new 'how many days to renewal' column has been added.

If you go direct to a real broker - Peter James etc or a proper insurance company DL, Aviva, LV etc it makes not a fucking jot of difference.

ML wants hanging up, a foot off the ground by his scrotum and leaving there until it's stretched enough to put him back on terra firma.

8 minutes ago, barefoot said:

This is bollocks. Martin Bollocks is bollocks. I cannot stand the fucker's idiotic 'hacks'.

The 25 day shit only applies to the Meercat style comparison sites, where a new 'how many days to renewal' column has been added.

If you go direct to a real broker - Peter James etc or a proper insurance company DL, Aviva, LV etc it makes not a fucking jot of difference.

ML wants hanging up, a foot off the ground by his scrotum and leaving there until it's stretched enough to put him back on terra firma.

While you look after Martins scrotum I'll look after his Mrs, Lara ?

1 hour ago, Floatylight said:

Bawls!!a6daada2aff48d92b42c49645458179a.jpg0bda99cbef0c873c092fb6d00c137ce1.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Was it Dodgytom who had a 306 which had done something similar?

post-19511-0-50926600-1497861336.jpg

post-19511-0-31880900-1497992546.jpg

post-19511-0-69059100-1497992650.jpg

post-19511-0-46969100-1498141035.jpg

In that thread, I was wrong.  I'm delighted he kept it on.  I'm not sure Tom is because someone then bummed him almost immediately afterwards, and then he managed to grenade the engine (from memory) in 306 vs Bow wave.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, Floatylight said:

Correct, previous gaffa tape repair...

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Reminds me of my grandfather who "repaired" an Austin Seven by stretching newspaper over a hole in the roof. Sold it as seen to a guy who then washed the car, found the hole, sued and lost!

On 6/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, gm said:

in a room that measures 4.5m x 3.5m, why would you choose to fit the only ceiling light less than 1m from the end of the room ? I'm baffled

IMG_2320.thumb.JPG.c1f347c96c9e70ebbdbedc568ca8ce9f.JPG

IMG_2321.thumb.JPG.9dd0de831f8b62bee97b689175bdc0b8.JPG

and is probably going to be a pain to move :( also artex ceiling omg asbestos panic :( 

Our front bedroom lights are in the same position,the one in the back bedroom is in the middle of the room.

was gonna watch wheeler dealers when the epg said brewer buys an MC40

nope no idea

but then at teh start it mentions monte carlo so i think oh no its a mini (theyve done it before - twice)

but then minis on the monte 1964

so its an 04 mini

*turns over and watches cuban chrome

edit its thursday not friday (ffs) chasing classic cars with carini