The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 minute ago, Timewaster said:

He was laughing while he told me. Probably more out of embarrassment than anything.

I must admit I nearly did the same once, but I came to my senses before my fingers even went into the caliper and went off to look for a piece of wood

My shed roof was knackered - rather than waste money on plywood and felt that would be fucked again in a couple of years I bought corrapol sheets.

It looks lovely but how the fook are you supposed to screw it down because standing on it just deforms it.

4 minutes ago, Bren said:

My shed roof was knackered - rather than waste money on plywood and felt that would be fucked again in a couple of years I bought corrapol sheets.

It looks lovely but how the fook are you supposed to screw it down because standing on it just deforms it.

Screws with rubber caps and don't stand on the roof, good luck with that !

Like these in black or clear rubber

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hardened-steel-roofing-screws-8-x-60mm-20-pack/50983

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have the correct screws - but the roof is giving when I fitted the ridges. And it's not as if I am a fat bastard.

Ok the way I did it was one sheet on, up the ladder inside the shed and lean over the sheet and screw it down, does that make sense ?

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

I'm also thoroughly fed up with doing anything related to engines.  Tedious, messy, fiddly work that always leaves me feeling stupid and stressed because for other people it's apparently this wonderful experience where nothing goes wrong. 

Show me these people! Today's works on the pizza scooter feels like the first time anything went right on my thread for about 5 pages.

1 hour ago, Bren said:

I have the correct screws - but the roof is giving when I fitted the ridges. And it's not as if I am a fat bastard.

I got stuck on a shed roof , I built it at the side of the house only I managed to kick the ladder away , i thought about jumping but 58 and either end was a free broken ankle with all the debris I'd left strewn around , I'd sooner die than shout fat bloke stuck on the roof so started hitting the wall with the hammer like a football chant du du dududu du du dududu , my mrs carried on watching TV 

I was up there for about 45 minutes, it was about 8pm and I was still doing the hammer chant when saved , my daughter appeared 

Pass me that ladder , she did what teenagers do

Left me where I was and went to get her phone to record it 

11 minutes ago, Wack said:

I got stuck on a shed roof , I built it at the side of the house only I managed to kick the ladder away , i thought about jumping but 58 and either end was a free broken ankle with all the debris I'd left strewn around , I'd sooner die than shout fat bloke stuck on the roof so started hitting the wall with the hammer like a football chant du du dududu du du dududu , my mrs carried on watching TV 

I was up there for about 45 minutes, it was about 8pm and I was still doing the hammer chant when saved , my daughter appeared 

My problem was the ridge pieces - even sat on an old cot mattress I felt like I was in a hammock.

I am getting too old for this bollocks but depite asking around nobody wanted to do the job.

11 hours ago, Bren said:

You work to the side of it if that makes sense, start at most inaccessible bit, then work back towards where your ladder is. Also you usually use the plastic capped annular nails. 

11 hours ago, Wack said:

I did ask mrs wack why she hadn't come outside , it must've been deafening in the living room

She said I thought you were banging nails in

Who the fuck bangs nails in to a tune , the 7 bastard dwarves 

My trusty Xiaomi has finally shat itself proper.

I've already replaced one screen, but now in addition to the cracks in the cheap replacement, the in call speaker has died along with any ability to take or make calls; attempting to do so just causes it to blank screen.

The question is what to get next?

2 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

covered in Pinky Purple crystals

If you want to scare yourself, take the plastic engine cover off and look in the middle of the V with a flashlight.

My ZS180 has always lost a small amount of coolant - from new. I've changed the timing belts, water pump, thermostat and plastic pipes twice now and got no improvement. At 14 years old, over 130k (reliable) miles and having paid for itself a couple of times over (company funded car when new), I chucked some K seal in.

Job jobbed.

Shame it needs welding before it gets another MOT?

4 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Caught a pot hole on my road and the ax has ejected it's washer bottle and contents all over the road.

Could have been worse though, the air could have escaped from the tyre in a fatal sort of manner... 

55 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

Euro car parts ?

There's money to be made in ordering the cheapest thing ECP sell. Since about 50% of the time they seem to just randomly throw any old shit in the box, with each order you've got good odds on receiving something worth considerably more. Scale this up enough and you're basically the wolf of wall street.

Hit something on the A14 on the way to work this morning, don't know if it's a pothole or some debris as I never saw anything but it made a hell of a bang which results in my tyres looking like this and me changing to my spare in a layby with lorries thundering past my back, not a experience I'd like to repeat. 

IMG_20200527_160042.thumb.jpg.b0168d2f89c4d28e5af00a31e7fe29d3.jpg

IMG_20200527_160056.thumb.jpg.800d1e9cb04c456d914cdd38be2be4ee.jpg

The drive home with that bolge in the back tyre is going to be fun. 

My xsara is similar... The zx it's based on, not a problem, I avoided them out of mechanical sympathy, but it wasn't too bad if I hit one. They lowered the xsara a bit and it makes one hell of a racket first from the front then from the back as its half stripped out so no sound deadening! Fucking potholes, hard luck trig. Pootle home, you'll be alright*

Several days in the sun and something dodgy for lunch before we took sister in law’s birthday present to her has taken its toll on my and have spent most of the evening feeling bleugh. This is despite at least 8 litres of water a day since last Wednesday.

spent an hour or so in bed, went outside to water the garden and I knocked over the bucket of fence paint next door gave me. All over the sodding patio as someone had moved it from safe space to middle of patio while watering things.