The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Sodding major retailers who decide to close their doors early.  B&Q today.

Having had supplies fail to materialise from no less than three online sellers I gave in today and decided to go out to get it.  Checked their hours (knowing and fully accepting they will be reduced), checked they had what I needed in stock, donned near full hazmat gear and headed out.  Got there a full 47 minutes before the closing time posted on their website to find a cardboard sign duct taped to a traffic cone in front of the car park entrance "Stor Close." Well that was a waste of my time.

Few things get my back up more disproportionately than that.  I get it, retail sucks to work in...but if you have hours posted, those are the hours the damned store should be open.

Closing a few minutes early when it's dead I can see...but 47 minutes isn't "a few minutes."

We start turning people away at 5:30-5:45 depending how busy we are, contrary to what you might expect if we're dead you might get let in at 10 to if you know exactly what you want and where to find it but when we're mobbed the shutters come down early to allow those already in the store to get their stuff and get processed through the tills. The idea being that if it's a big store (which ours is) it'll easily take someone 20-30 minutes to wander round and get what they want, pay for it and leave, longer if the wife's there.

One of the many things our managers get targeted for is closing the tills on time as it delays all the end of day procedures and any software/pricing updates etc that need to happen when the system's down at night, hence when closing time comes that's when we aim to be locking up and pissing off home, not still chasing a few idle stragglers about the shop.

47 minutes early is taking the piss somewhat though...

21 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8348039/Police-hunt-idiot-Audi-driver-filmed-hitting-200MPH-M20-motorway.html

and behold, another wannabe gangsta wanker in his pimp spec ALDI doing 200mph on a british motorway.

The latest footage comes just days after another motorist filmed himself doing 201mph in an Audi RS6 while driving along the M23 in West Sussex

hope they catch the cunt, and that he has a real fun* time in gaol.

then there is this, for it is another ALDI drivin' cunt, this one in his dads, which he crashed into many very desirable* cars.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8344101/Delivery-driver-25-accused-destroying-1m-worth-supercars-high-speed-chase.html

this prick they have caught, and must be looking at some time in the big house

dunno what they are exactly, that one at the front is a porsche macaroni? well its only got 3 wheels now....

A McLaren sports car worth around £300,000 was destroyed along with a Porsche Cayenne worth £100,000 and a blue Bentley Bentayga costing £200,000. Two other Porches and two Audi Q7s were also hit

The consequences of a road accident at 201mph don't really bear thinking about. I'd imagine the wreckage would be more akin to a plane crash.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:26 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

I'm in a similar position. Its unbelievable that things can't pick up where they left off. I've been told that I will "have to wait" as there is a backlog of sales to go through!!!

My house purchase in Spain went through with only a slight delay. Solicitors were all working from home and took sales files with them when their office closed. Even in near total lockdown they were able to proceed. 

Really don't know how that happened as the notarías in Spain were closed unless it was to deal urgent issues. You was very lucky. still not getting here  until maybe July. 

https://www.larazon.es/espana/20200315/dwapflidhfe37mynk6kqwcx7ha.html

Lots of false indignation for the 201mph Audi, just imagine what would have happened if he did it in Germany...... Oh hang on, nothing! Filming it was silly but its hardly a crime to be locked up for, some need a sense of perspective, it wasn't rush hour traffic or past a school ffs. 

I have vmaxed pretty much every car and bike I have owned, some of them did over 180mph, at over 186mph the speedo used to read  - - -  on the S1000RR but it was still accelerating :D

14 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Sodding major retailers who decide to close their doors early.  B&Q today.

Having had supplies fail to materialise from no less than three online sellers I gave in today and decided to go out to get it.  Checked their hours (knowing and fully accepting they will be reduced), checked they had what I needed in stock, donned near full hazmat gear and headed out.  Got there a full 47 minutes before the closing time posted on their website to find a cardboard sign duct taped to a traffic cone in front of the car park entrance "Stor Close." Well that was a waste of my time.

Few things get my back up more disproportionately than that.  I get it, retail sucks to work in...but if you have hours posted, those are the hours the damned store should be open.

Closing a few minutes early when it's dead I can see...but 47 minutes isn't "a few minutes."

The baker I use has a sign for opening hours.  "10am until 1:30pm - or until we run out of stuff"!

5 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

Fuk me, three times I've walked to b&q and there's a permanent line of easily 50 people waiting outside. Problem is I have to go in as they've had my money for boots almost 3 months ago and still apparently aren't answering emails. 

Drove past B&Q a couple of times whilst working and there was a massive queue of cars going into the car park too! 

2 minutes ago, Sir Snipes said:

Fuk me, three times I've walked to b&q and there's a permanent line of easily 50 people waiting outside. Problem is I have to go in as they've had my money for boots almost 3 months ago and still apparently aren't answering emails. 

Trouble is all that walking has worn out your other pair of boots?

2 hours ago, Remspoor said:

Really don't know how that happened as the notarías in Spain were closed unless it was to deal urgent issues. You was very lucky. still not getting here  until maybe July. 

https://www.larazon.es/espana/20200315/dwapflidhfe37mynk6kqwcx7ha.html

I gave my solicitor Power of Attorney to get the sale through. 

Rebooked my Eurotunnel ticket 5 times now (originally 12th March), and maybe I will be allowed to traverse France and Spain at the end of June, if not, then July it is. 

My Eurotunnel grumpy will wait a few more days...

2 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Lots of false indignation for the 201mph Audi, just imagine what would have happened if he did it in Germany...... Oh hang on, nothing! Filming it was silly but its hardly a crime to be locked up for, some need a sense of perspective, it wasn't rush hour traffic or past a school ffs. 

I have vmaxed pretty much every car and bike I have owned, some of them did over 180mph, at over 186mph the speedo used to read  - - -  on the S1000RR but it was still accelerating :D

I don't have indignation, just amazed that sallon cars are so quick.  

Well went back today. The queue to get into the store was all the way down the side by the door, around the corner, all the way around the overflow car park and was heading back up the access road.

Nope...standing for probably about an hour and a half with my back, that ain't happening.

Homebase (which is usually dead) was very nearly as bad.

Of course everything I'm after is showing as out of stock for delivery from any of the usual suspects.

Guess that's another item to stick on the "waiting for some semblance of normality to resume" list then.  That list is a good 3/4 of a whiteboard now.

Just really surprised the DIY stores are so busy given they never closed down!

10 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Nope...standing for probably about an hour and a half with my back, that ain't happening.

shame TPA is not back on the road yet, you could probably join the foot traffic queue in it and no one would say anything (or would be too afraid to say anything!)

and gr8 for social distancing given your in your own little 9ft long fibreglass bubble LOL  

(bonus points if they actually let you inside the store with it LOL)

Well if you have to get to Durham because you aren't feeling very well it's perfectly understandable that you'd do so as quickly as possible. Any pleb questioning if you need to do 200 to get there quickly is a traitor and should be hung.......

For me it's the using his phone while driving that rankles me more than the speed. I also can't see anyone being caught, our entire road policing system relies on the number plate shown being connected to the person driving in some manner. If you choose to drive like that there is a small* chance you may not be playing by other rules so once the DVLA details don't match it'll be filled under too much work and ignored.

My work chair broke spectacularly last night, throwing me on the floor when the back snapped off.  I was full of praise for how comfortable this chair was when I first got it.  Annoyingly, it has not proven particularly robust, like pretty much every office chair I've ever owned, new or old, with one notable brown 80s exception that lasted forever and came out of a skip.  Ordered a new chair which will take about a week to arrive (couldn't find anything suitable within sensible collecting distance) which is going to knock my hours down a bit.

I'm also thoroughly fed up with doing anything related to engines.  Tedious, messy, fiddly work that always leaves me feeling stupid and stressed because for other people it's apparently this wonderful experience where nothing goes wrong.  I'd rather be sanding filler by hand than having to faff about any longer with fiddly awkward engine nonsense.  Oh, and apparently the injection pump on the BX is "unusual" so that's making finding the correct throttle shaft to replace the one I broke somewhat problematic.  It does also explain why I haven't been able to find an exact match for the pump.  Did you know, there's about forty eight million variations of the Bosch VE pump?

I bashed my finger yesterday whilst stripping the mx5 steering rack, overnight the nail has gone black and the finger swollen up like a badly cooked sausage :( 

grump is that I can't use the tried and tested technique of heating a pin on the cooker to make a wee hole in the nail as I've got a stupid halogen hob. The only alternative I could think of was using the smallest drill bit I can find and being very, very careful. Amazingly, it has worked, a wee hole has been made, pressure is relieved and the swelling has reduced. But it didn't half fupping hurt ! 

Following my trip to casualty last month after a circular saw incident, I feel I'm starting to resemble Reg Prescott off the Kenny Everett tv show 

IMG_1989.thumb.JPG.6ded28d72e2d8736c2fdbb5ed072a5c0.JPG

maybe I should take a couple of days off from the diy :) 

50 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

shame TPA is not back on the road yet, you could probably join the foot traffic queue in it and no one would say anything (or would be too afraid to say anything!)

and gr8 for social distancing given your in your own little 9ft long fibreglass bubble LOL  

(bonus points if they actually let you inside the store with it LOL)

What is TPA ?

2 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

What is TPA ?

are you asking genuinely or are you just having a laugh? (same question goes for the question you asked me in SiCs ADO16 round 2 thread!)

I do apologize but the emoji is making it hard for me to figure it out!

3 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

are you asking genuinely or are you just having a laugh? (same question goes for the question you asked me in SiCs ADO16 round 2 thread!)

I do apologize but the emoji is making it hard for me to figure it out!

Having a laugh

5 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

Having a laugh

ah thanks for clarifying

I had thought so based on the emojis etc, (and the fact that people in general like to take the piss out of Invacars and my Invacar obsessions) but I did not want to assume and end up accidentally upsetting someone because I thought they were just having laugh when they were genuinely asking!

so figured it would be best to play it safe and clarify!

(especially as in the past there was a case where I had thought/assumed someone was having a laugh but it turned out to be a genuine enquirery, thankfully no one got upset, at least not that I know of!)

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

ah thanks for clarifying

I had thought so based on the emojis etc, (and the fact that people in general like to take the piss out of Invacars and my Invacar obsessions) but I did not want to assume and end up accidentally upsetting someone because I thought they were just having laugh when they were genuinely asking!

so figured it would be best to play it safe and clarify!

(especially as in the past there was a case where I had thought/assumed someone was having a laugh but it turned out to be a genuine enquirery, thankfully no one got upset, at least not that I know of!)

No I  was having a laugh,  I thought they hadn't been mentioned for a while, but if it is too soon I apologise 

5 minutes ago, camryv6 said:

No I  was having a laugh,  I thought they hadn't been mentioned for a while, but if it is too soon I apologise 

haha its not me you have to apologize to, its probably the rest of the forum you have to apologize to for trying to get me to post even more invacar content :mrgreen:

On 5/22/2020 at 9:39 PM, Wack said:

With it being quiet on the crime front I'd think the police will have a whole team out looking for this plank

I’d love to comment on this, pointing out that the brakes and tyres on a new RS6 probably mean it can stop from 200 in the space most of our old heaps take to stop from 100. Also I’d wonder if there would be as much hate and vitriol if it was a Rover or Dacia instead of an Audi.

But he spoils all my halfhearted defence by filming it with his phone in his hand, twat! At those sort of speeds you need to be on it, big time. Both hands at10-2, left foot hovering over the brake , eyes looking so far ahead you almost give yourself a headache. Probably. Anybody stupid enough to film it and make it public, is probably also stupid enough not to disable his tracker and telemetry either.

To be clear, I have never driven at 200 mph on a British public road .

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Just really surprised the DIY stores are so busy given they never closed down!

DIY shops were exempt from the lockdown as they sold 'essential' home repair items but with everywhere else still shut lots of bored people are coming to B&Q for a day out to buy paint and gardening supplies and other essentials.
The click & collect system has collapsed under the sheer volume of orders in most stores and is barely functioning. We usually got 80-100 a day, now we're into 4 figures and we're having to process that with fewer staff. I think a lot of the call centre and backroom staff are still on furlough so there's feck all happening with  normal customer service stuff.

I don't know if it's our fault for not restricting items on sale to those essential home repair bits & bobs, the government's fault for allowing such a cash hungry business to carry on trading under lockdown or the general public's fault for swarming into the few shops that are allowed to open because they've got nothing else to do but it's all a total clusterfuck.