The grumpy thread

outlaw118

43 minutes ago, PhilA said:

If it only does it at Tesco, don't bring it there. They might have a 5G transmitter it something that makes it go all Italian.

Well I went to rescue it with the other Fiat (Scudo) and that was fine.  Although it does have a French engine to be fair.

Tempra battery is reading 11.94 volts with the engine off.  So that might be fucked.  I'm going to stick a gallon of diesel in it tomorrow and take it for a proper drive to see if that brings it back to life, but if not it's going to need a new one.

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Oh I love the gentle soothing jangling your wind chime is making... 

I just spent an hour picking up debris from my yard- there's nothing else anywhere on the street, just right here which makes me think (wife agrees and she's seen a fair number) that this was actually a baby tornado because it's all very localized. You can see the wind has a fair bit of randomized spin. I also found plastic tubs and crap that were under the other side of the garage on a shelf pulled out from under the roof and thrown 80 feet away sideways to the main direction of the wind to the other side of the yard, and straight line squall doesn't do that, even against a fence.

Fun times. I hate pine cones. Prickly bastard things.

6 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Weekly checks anyone?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/police-stunned-state-cars-tyres-18160974e9904d6543a85e7384734919634cdb28.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

"Buy" the most expensive car you can. Spend as little as possible on maintaining. 

It's the modern world. 

TUI have now bumped me for £900. We cancelled our holiday to Crete on 17th March due to the impending Covid crisis. We were told that we would get £900 of the £1500 I had paid so far, which was fair enough. 

My wife booked it so she chased this 2 weeks later online and was told the refund would arrive soon.

Fast forward to last Wednesday, my wife managed to get through to them on the phone. The girl was very helpful and although she admitted my refund hadn't been processed, she confirmed she was processing this now and would be with us in a few days.

As of today, still nothing.

If she had said that TUI are struggling financially and we might not get our money back, I would be frustrated but would understand. But to tell a barefaced, slimy little lie just to get my wife off the phone has put me out my fucking bin, to the point where I am up in the night fuming about it.

ATOL won't help as we initiated the cancellation.

Being bumped for money is one thing but I can't tolerate being lied to. 

Unfortunately I'm just going to have to suck it up.

You can sometimes claim on a debit card, chargeback or something it's called. Ask your bank, but they will probably fob you off

Once you have  paid the last large balance it's best not to cancel, wait for them to do it.

When you cancel you fall into the terms and conditions regarding you cancelling, which close to the holiday have high charges.

Many people are having problems with holiday/wedding etc cancellations.

EDIT

My DiL is often on the end of the phone.

They give the information out that they have to hand, or have been told to say. It's the big companies at fault, not the girl on the phone.

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

TUI have now bumped me for £900. We cancelled our holiday to Crete on 17th March due to the impending Covid crisis. We were told that we would get £900 of the £1500 I had paid so far, which was fair enough. 

My wife booked it so she chased this 2 weeks later online and was told the refund would arrive soon.

Fast forward to last Wednesday, my wife managed to get through to them on the phone. The girl was very helpful and although she admitted my refund hadn't been processed, she confirmed she was processing this now and would be with us in a few days.

As of today, still nothing.

If she had said that TUI are struggling financially and we might not get our money back, I would be frustrated but would understand. But to tell a barefaced, slimy little lie just to get my wife off the phone has put me out my fucking bin, to the point where I am up in the night fuming about it.

ATOL won't help as we initiated the cancellation.

Being bumped for money is one thing but I can't tolerate being lied to. 

Unfortunately I'm just going to have to suck it up.

I've some experience of these types of things. I'm currently in dispute with Air France/KLM regarding some flights over to Canada for next Tuesday. 

They are point blank refusing to refund, technically EU 261/2004 deems that if the airline or tour operator cancels the flight/holiday then they are duty bound - in my case even by their own T&Cs to refund within seven days.  For package holidays it is within fourteen days. The EU reiterated this at the start of the crisis.

However, as you decided to cancel the holiday, you only fall under the tour operators T&Cs and EU 261 does not apply. Check these carefully, and see what, if anything you are entitled to.  If you have in writing that they are willing to refund £X and that this is in process, then you should have a case with the Small Claims Court.

Problem is at the moment, Holiday Companies and Airlines are broke, and they are trying to ensure future business, by for example in my case by giving me a 'Voucher' valid for up to a year, which is essentially an interest free loan from their customers, then they claim refundable after that time period. 

In the news today, it appears that the CMA are looking at getting involved to try and force them to pay out, but it will take a very long time. 

Hopefully in your case the agreed refund will come through. All these companies are on skeleton staff, and have found a massive surge in demand. So it would be fair to say, you're probably not going to get a refund in just over a week.

I have lodged a 'Section 75 Chargeback' with my credit card company - this will take up to eight weeks normally, so I'm not expecting it to be done in that timescale.

My advice would be to always book holidays or travel with a creditcard, and wait for the airline to cancel (they are leaving flight cancellations to the very last minute at the moment hoping that customers do exactly what you have done, as they are pretty much liable for naff all when the customer cancels)

Good Luck!

2 hours ago, Volksy said:

I've some experience of these types of things. I'm currently in dispute with Air France/KLM regarding some flights over to Canada for next Tuesday. 

They are point blank refusing to refund, technically EU 261/2004 deems that if the airline or tour operator cancels the flight/holiday then they are duty bound - in my case even by their own T&Cs to refund within seven days.  For package holidays it is within fourteen days. The EU reiterated this at the start of the crisis.

However, as you decided to cancel the holiday, you only fall under the tour operators T&Cs and EU 261 does not apply. Check these carefully, and see what, if anything you are entitled to.  If you have in writing that they are willing to refund £X and that this is in process, then you should have a case with the Small Claims Court.

Problem is at the moment, Holiday Companies and Airlines are broke, and they are trying to ensure future business, by for example in my case by giving me a 'Voucher' valid for up to a year, which is essentially an interest free loan from their customers, then they claim refundable after that time period. 

In the news today, it appears that the CMA are looking at getting involved to try and force them to pay out, but it will take a very long time. 

Hopefully in your case the agreed refund will come through. All these companies are on skeleton staff, and have found a massive surge in demand. So it would be fair to say, you're probably not going to get a refund in just over a week.

I have lodged a 'Section 75 Chargeback' with my credit card company - this will take up to eight weeks normally, so I'm not expecting it to be done in that timescale.

My advice would be to always book holidays or travel with a creditcard, and wait for the airline to cancel (they are leaving flight cancellations to the very last minute at the moment hoping that customers do exactly what you have done, as they are pretty much liable for naff all when the customer cancels)

Good Luck!

Cheers for that, grand knowledge there. I will hopefully have some luck over the next few days.

8 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Sodding alternator belt is slipping again.

IMG_20200430_171303.thumb.jpg.0cfd59694711b4de0e931bf2684ddab9.jpg

Yay, I get to eat the splitter and cover myself in used engine oil while dislocating my wrist to get at the adjuster around the oil cooler return line again, I enjoyed it so much last time...

Mind your head on the bonnet.

Just now, wuvvum said:

Mind your head on the bonnet.

Don't...I already managed to nearly knock myself out on it this afternoon once...

At least it stays up rather than randomly dropping on your head unlike the one on certain other vehicles I have owned.  Yes, I'm looking in the general direction of my now departed Lada.  That dropped on me several times in my ownership.

Sorry for droning on but ALSO HOW FUPPING HARD IS IT TO BUY A CAR FOR SALE!11!11!1!1!1!

I'm literally waving e-poundingtons all over the place but nobody will take it.

I get the current circumstances but radio silence is just odd. Way to sell a car like!

22 hours ago, philibusmo said:

I'm not entirely sure why but the title of this thread really winds me up.  It's so irritating it makes my teeth itch.

Screenshot_20200429-222625.thumb.png.fac038917acbf04a76f9f881d7256fed.png

Anyway, as you were.

3 hours ago, Vantman said:

Can a moderator just alter that to 'Bus Shite'?

Well.... seeing as the author of the thread hasn’t been seen in these parts for nearly a year I don’t feel too bad changing the title.... 

Happy? ?