The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Was totally grumpy yesterday.

I find and bought my replacement hinges second hand from eBay; all good so far.

First hinge bolt from boot lid side came off without issue, remaining three are stuck.

I left it over night with penetrating oil on. Went through various levels of bolt removal for the T30, including using a Torx Extractor but that ended up destroying the bolt head.

Ground a flat head groove, didn't work.

Then I ruined two metal drill bits trying to drill it out.

When trying to grind the bolt head away my friend drove over my power reel.

Gave up after only achieving breaking things more.

Waiting to get another power reel and songs more T30 studs.

20200413_091205.jpg

20200413_091201.jpg

20200413_091208.jpg

20200413_091224.jpg

Couple of grumps today, 

Firstly and most concerning, Papa V lives in an old folks home, and has done for the last year or so. They contacted us to advise that a patient (who was recently admitted) has been moved to the hospital with suspected Covid - 19. Thankfully Papa V is a reclusive type and doesn't really associate with any of the other people in the home. I'm surprised that they allowed people to move into the home post social distancing, and if they were, they appear not to have been isolated initially!

Went to try and repair my friends VW T4, as the starter motor is failing, and needs replacing. She is a key worker in social care, and is managing to work using a push bike, however it's not ideal.
Why VW decided that the best way to attach the starter with 1x 13mm bolt and 2x allenkey bolts (apparently made out of dairy milk) I have no idea. Will have to revisit it tomorrow to see if I can get them off. 

Currently in a battle with Air France/KLM who cancelled a set of flights to Canada in early May, EU Law states that they have to offer a refund, which they are refusing to do - only a 'voucher'. I could lodge a small claims court claim, however they wont be running at the moment, I could alternatively try and claim back through my credit card. However they are saying that their offices are not processing these at the moment. Its annoying that they owe me just shy of £600, given due to this pandemic I'm unemployed, I could really do with the cash. Really f*cks me off that these big companies know that at the moment the customer can do bugger all, whilst they basically are illegally getting a loan from customers for a year.

Begging charity tv adverts.

No I do not want to give money to your donkey sanctuary, which has more money than I will ever have. Nor do I have any intention of giving money to a cause that reminds me that abusive people are  not currently walking  among us (virus), but are instead in their lockdown homes being abusive. Send us your money - yeah but what are you going to do with it right now eh??    Surely you would not take advantage of the current situation to make more money for your charities bottom line  ??

I realise this wonderful world can also be a bag of shit, I do not need reminding of the fact.  Money grabbing evil  feckers.

Give us the details  of a nurse/medic who is working hard and through no fault of his/her own needs money for food/fuel/elec/gas/rent  and I for one  will send them some dosh.

2 hours ago, Volksy said:

Couple of grumps today, 

Firstly and most concerning, Papa V lives in an old folks home, and has done for the last year or so. They contacted us to advise that a patient (who was recently admitted) has been moved to the hospital with suspected Covid - 19. Thankfully Papa V is a reclusive type and doesn't really associate with any of the other people in the home. I'm surprised that they allowed people to move into the home post social distancing, and if they were, they appear not to have been isolated initially!

Went to try and repair my friends VW T4, as the starter motor is failing, and needs replacing. She is a key worker in social care, and is managing to work using a push bike, however it's not ideal.
Why VW decided that the best way to attach the starter with 1x 13mm bolt and 2x allenkey bolts (apparently made out of dairy milk) I have no idea. Will have to revisit it tomorrow to see if I can get them off. 

Currently in a battle with Air France/KLM who cancelled a set of flights to Canada in early May, EU Law states that they have to offer a refund, which they are refusing to do - only a 'voucher'. I could lodge a small claims court claim, however they wont be running at the moment, I could alternatively try and claim back through my credit card. However they are saying that their offices are not processing these at the moment. Its annoying that they owe me just shy of £600, given due to this pandemic I'm unemployed, I could really do with the cash. Really f*cks me off that these big companies know that at the moment the customer can do bugger all, whilst they basically are illegally getting a loan from customers for a year.

It's true, the airline companies are the ones getting bale-outs too as they are 'essential' and they have monsterous running costs. In normal times they oppose big government hand-outs to anyone else. Ordinary people are always made to suffer first in situations like this when it comes to refunds etc.

On 4/12/2020 at 4:25 PM, Spiny Norman said:

I work at B&Q though currently on furlough but what I can tell you is this.

There's up to a week waiting time in some stores as the website Click & Collect system which normally processes 100 orders a day in a big shop is suddenly having to deal with many thousands of orders per day. 
The system is REALLY struggling at all levels, as are the few remaining staff in the shops (closed to the public) who are being sworn at and generally abused by cunts turning up wondering where their rolls of wallpaper and hot tubs are and why they can't come in for a browse. 
The phone lines are down to the general public because we were getting inundated with calls from people who couldn't understand why we wouldn't let them in, or demanding to know why they couldn't get some paint mixed.

We're open because we're theoretically a hardware store which is one of the 'essential' shops on the Government's list but all people are wanting from us is normal DIY stuff to stave off the boredom.  Morale is rock bottom and from what I hear some stores are becoming unmanageable due to staff being at the end of their tether with both customers and management.

I'm sure your stuff will get processed and you'll get the phone call to collect it guys, but it might be a while yet.

I don't understand why shop workers are getting all this grief, what the fucks wrong with people?

I've used the B&Q service to get building materials and it has been excellent. Very efficient and organised. 

I did make a point of thanking the staff.

Got a few vacs done and boxed up over the last few days, boxed 2 constellations up in the same huge box as their going to the same bloke, and one of them has the wand jammed into the hose so needs the long box... 

£42 to post the fucker! Shit... But doing the maths it's only £15 more than in seperate boxes, which the wand wouldn't fit in and I'd have to re-pack them. Fuck it, got 3 more vacs to do for the same guy so they might all be going up by a tenner... 

managed to buy a new tin of gloss white paint before the lockdown because the old one was mingy with a inch of dried paint .

went looking for a tin of black paint under the bench and found ,,,,,

half a tin of white gloss paint ..

now have a tin and just over half ,  of white gloss paint

and a tin with sloppy skin bits in it

39 minutes ago, MikeR said:

managed to buy a new tin of gloss white paint before the lockdown because the old one was mingy with a inch of dried paint .

went looking for a tin of black paint under the bench and found ,,,,,

half a tin of white gloss paint ..

now have a tin and just over half ,  of white gloss paint

and a tin with sloppy skin bits in it

Can you come over ? I’ve a load of sills need doing.

On 4/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, reb said:

Anyone fancy a swim?

20200413_151032.thumb.jpg.bbf637496fc6362fdcb077bdc59b61f5.jpg

My passenger side carpet is permanently in the airing cupboard. When @Six-cylinder gangrolled me into driving the s2 Daimler last year to MK the carpet was growing interesting new aquatic life. I left it drip/ drying out of the boot.

Mrs 95 and i have been very fortunate, we bought a tatty abode nearly 11 years ago, one of the advantages of it was that it backed onto open fields.

For some mad reason she thinks its a competition to get more dogs than i get cars, anyway we've ended up with a handful of rescue sausage dogs.. we can happily take them out down the fields without leads as they are well behaved and don't fuck off.

I can say in the 11 years, we have only seen perhaps a dozen people (in the 11 years)on the same walk, went out today and must of bumped into 20-25 random  people plus  half a dozen bikers.

Why have they all decided to drive to the middle of nowhere in this environment ?

Grump for people driving, not for using random space

This popped up on facebook the other day - 3 years since I bought my Caravelle

1503219536_2017-04-1015_49_25.thumb.jpg.ce0b98eedb7a85c013f2d30bd6fccd68.jpg

It was mega  solid, mega original and (once I'd fitted a new engine) it was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vehicles I've ever driven - the PAS and Auto box absolutely made that van - I had manual one and it wasn't anywhere near as good.. For just a split second, I forgot that I sold it and in my head it was still there parked on the street. A genuine wash of sadness came over me when reality kicked in.

It's by far the vehicle I most regret selling and I'm very unlikely to come across something like it again. If I do, I won't be able to afford it. On the plus side, it didn't get pineappled and after a mild resto it ended up in mature hands and it has just had a clean MOT wherever it is. I'll always keep an eye out for it - E893 YRJ. Such a shame I had nowhere to park it and couldn't really afford to tax/run it.

Blarg.  Had a stinking headache all day and have achieved the sub total of absolutely nothing today.  Absolutely everything I've touched has gone out of its way to be bloody awkward.  Including what should be simple tasks like emptying the dishwasher when I managed to drop and finely atomise one of my favourite mugs.

Loading a bit more garden waste into the skip (it's settled a bit since the weekend) I managed to drop a hawthorn branch - which immediately managed to insert itself down the gap between my leg and boot.  Then of course firmly embedding itself in both.  Tore the leg of my trousers to shreds pulling it off and bled all over the place.  More irked about wrecking a perfectly good pair of trousers than my leg to be honest.

Getting an early night and hoping to feel better tomorrow.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:30 PM, 95 quid Peugeot said:

I can say in the 11 years, we have only seen perhaps a dozen people (in the 11 years)on the same walk, went out today and must of bumped into 20-25 random  people plus  half a dozen bikers.

Why have they all decided to drive to the middle of nowhere in this environment ?

Grump for people driving, not for using random space

thats a write down number plates and speak to the suffuck polis

Went down to the Range Rover LSE this afternoon to see if I can resurect it. Fitted a good battery and it fired up, bah no oil pressure. Lots of rattly tappets and an oil light that refused to go out. Pulled the king lead off and cranked it over and over. Not a flicker just a bright red light. Put the lead back on and it's still the same. The filter is full but the top end is dry. I think the oil pump needs primimg. There are 6  bolts holding it together with a head size of 5/16 or 8mm at a push.They are bloody 12 sided and every socket I have is 6 sided. I got four undone with a 5/16 spanner but can't reach the other two. 

I've come home now and atleast I have a new oil filter in stock. And after searching through the socket draw of my toolbox the forth socket set yielded a quarter drive 8mm 12 sided socket. Tomorrow might be a better day.

Just had a message from one of my best mates, Monkey.

His dad, a real top bloke, retired GP, came out of retirement to help with this poxy Coronavirus.

Pretty much straightaway, a patient has passed it on to him, and he's spent the last 4 weeks fighting it.

Yesterday, the news from the doctor treating him, that the prognosis was bad, Dr M elected to come off the oxygen.

He died this afternoon.

Balls.

28 minutes ago, outlaw118 said:

Just had a message from one of my best mates, Monkey.

His dad, a real top bloke, retired GP, came out of retirement to help with this poxy Coronavirus.

Pretty much straightaway, a patient has passed it on to him, and he's spent the last 4 weeks fighting it.

Yesterday, the news from the doctor treating him, that the prognosis was bad, Dr M elected to come off the oxygen.

He died this afternoon.

Balls.

Deepest sympathies to the family and regrettably becoming more common,

I for one am fucking fuming about the cavalier attitude of the Health Secretary and his wankstain government hanging them all out to dry!

My much better half, a nurse, as been without scrubs for days and thus have to wash arms up to armpits after every patient interaction, which exposes them to risk, but this is not the concern of the nurses, rather they worry about it reducing their ability to care for the gravely ill and not their own safety!

They would gladly do without the clapping in exchange for being adequately protected ( BUT they are indescribably grateful to all that show appreciation.