The grumpy thread

outlaw118

So all winter I wait for the warm sunny days to return, and yesterday and today there was lovely blue skies whilst out doing my hours state endorsed exercising, and it was warm enough for just a T-shirt. Lovely.

Until the pollen got me!

Grump is that each year I manage to forget I’m a wheezing asthmatic hay fever sufferer, and that from now until autumn I’ll just be one massive dribbling nosed, watering eyed sneezing mess. FFS why was I waiting for spring and when will I learn that winter really is the season for me. 

FFS can we all slow down on AS ? I can't keep up with everything what with all

you WFH types. I only have a few hours a day coz I can still work and I have to drive

11 miles (x2) on nearly deserted roads ,which I'm sure you can understand is effing

brilliant but a bit odd.

OK possibly a bit self centered but highly apposite.....

My better half is a critical care nurse and came back home today after 2 back to back 15 hour night shifts ( which does not phase her or any of her colleagues at all apart from being frazzled) and said that once this crisis is over, she was considering leaving nursing.

When I asked why, the ensuing conversation boiled down to the fact that she. and many there are disconsolate that they are unable to give effective care to patients in desperate need as the system is completely overloaded and they are questioning their calling and inability to help the very people they are putting themselves at risk to help. She has a serious heart condition and asthma, but refuses to stop nursing as she says their need is greater than hers.( Whilst worried I cannot tell you how in awe I am of her)

After many tears and words I think I managed to convince her that not only is she so totally suited to nursing with her empathy and drive to serve those who are at their most vulnerable, but their helplessness is shared by all the worlds' health professionals and they should hold their heads high rather than eviscerate themselves for doing over and above their requirement.

I am incredibly angry and whilst I could pen a diatribe on the political cuts of the last 10 years, will conclude by saying that these people, despite having been placed in an almost untenable position, continue to, despite deficiencies in protective equipment, tend to the desperately sick at palpable risk to themselves and do it gladly.

Please, once this awful situation has passed, can we all make sure that these wonderful people are not left hamstrung and poorly equipped in future?

Rant over, as you were

3 hours ago, bonehead said:

My better half is a critical care nurse and came back home today after 2 back to back 15 hour night shifts ( which does not phase her or any of her colleagues at all apart from being frazzled) and said that once this crisis is over, she was considering leaving nursing.

When I asked why, the ensuing conversation boiled down to the fact that she. and many there are disconsolate that they are unable to give effective care to patients in desperate need as the system is completely overloaded and they are questioning their calling and inability to help the very people they are putting themselves at risk to help. She has a serious heart condition and asthma, but refuses to stop nursing as she says their need is greater than hers.( Whilst worried I cannot tell you how in awe I am of her)

After many tears and words I think I managed to convince her that not only is she so totally suited to nursing with her empathy and drive to serve those who are at their most vulnerable, but their helplessness is shared by all the worlds' health professionals and they should hold their heads high rather than eviscerate themselves for doing over and above their requirement.

I am incredibly angry and whilst I could pen a diatribe on the political cuts of the last 10 years, will conclude by saying that these people, despite having been placed in an almost untenable position, continue to, despite deficiencies in protective equipment, tend to the desperately sick at palpable risk to themselves and do it gladly.

Please, once this awful situation has passed, can we all make sure that these wonderful people are not left hamstrung and poorly equipped in future?

Rant over, as you were

I feel completely sorry for her and can't imagine how difficult it must be.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians. It's all the management that needs fucking off. My ex was a clinical secretary for 20 years. Two of her bosses were on 100k plus and she did 95% of their work for them. She took minutes at their 'important' meetings where they'd spent 4 hours trying to justify their jobs. It's a fucking disgrace and it wouldn't last five minutes as a private company.

10 hours ago, bonehead said:

Rant over, as you were

Wife left nursing in 1993 and never returned. After 8 years, she couldn't take knowing that proper care wasn't being provided. 27 years of cuts later.....

And

My daughter moved from working as a Pharmacist in a shop, to a Hospital 6 months ago...she, not quite 24 years young, has suddenly realised she's in a war zone.  Every patient has C19 and they expect half to die.......If she doesn't come through this with Post Traumatic Stress I'd be surprised. 

Wife said she'd rather be dead than anything happen to our daughter, but i pointed out that isnt a choice you can actually make. 

If it were a choice, many parents and grand parents would have done just that. 

On the upside ?  Labour has a new leader, who actually seems intelligent for once.  

16 hours ago, bonehead said:

Rant over, as you were

I'm NHS but away from the front line these days but my much younger brother ( ODP )has just been moved from theatre's to support Critical Care intubating C19 patients. I spoke to him the other night and he's terrified at what is to come and scared of falling apart. I gave what encouragement I could and wheeled out my personal mantra that's got me through some tough times  " Being in a position  to provide care to those in such vulnerable situations is the highest privelege there is"  . I doubt many nurses or doctors will come through this experience unscathed mentally and provision needs to be made for this now, I fear nothing will change post C19 sadly and nurses will continue to have the piss took out of them.  

The systematic underfunding of the NHS correlates exactly with the Tories utter contempt for the working classes,  

Can you please say thanks, on my behalf, to your better half for the work she does , she's undoubtedly f*cking amazing ! 

...and a random friend's request from some sort of eccentric looking old duffer who wants to view my car. Accepted his request (don't usually bother if not known personally) and within minutes he's posted some bollocks about churches being shut but mosques allowed to stay open. FUCK.RIGHT. OFF. 

Not much of a grump compared to some of the above but the fridge at work is disgusting.

The canteen is closed for refurbishment but due to the virus the building work is permanently postponed. So I've taken to bringing in my own food.

The smell from the communal fridge is nauseating, and I'm fairly difficult to disgust. The bottom of it is solid green with mould/rot and everything stored in there comes out smelling of it.

The Tupperware box I store my sandwiches in has to go in the boot of the car on the drive home or the smell makes me feel sick.

18 hours ago, captain_70s said:

.....The smell from the communal fridge is nauseating, and I'm fairly difficult to disgust. The bottom of it is solid green with mould/rot and everything stored in there comes out smelling of it...

Could that possibly contain the basis of a vaccine for COVID-19?

One of the new fuel hoses arrived for the BX.  What I thought was a connection on the old one is actually just a bracket and the hose itself is about four miles long.  Not faffing with that today.  Oh but wait, what's this?  Why yes, that's another diesel leak from somewhere and the car barely wants to idle.  It's leaking from somewhere between the engine and the subframe near the driver's side engine mount, but not from a component you can actually see.  That is going to be fun to locate.  I bet another hose has let go.

33 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

One of the new fuel hoses arrived for the BX.  What I thought was a connection on the old one is actually just a bracket and the hose itself is about four miles long.  Not faffing with that today.  Oh but wait, what's this?  Why yes, that's another diesel leak from somewhere and the car barely wants to idle.  It's leaking from somewhere between the engine and the subframe near the driver's side engine mount, but not from a component you can actually see.  That is going to be fun to locate.  I bet another hose has let go.

I wonder if it would be worth figuring just how much fuel hose the entire car has, and ordering it all up and replacing it all in one go? :) 

because it sounds like its all deteriorating at the same rate, so as you replace one section, another section is not going to be far off, so would be worth replace everything in one go so your not constantly chasing leaks until you do eventually end up replacing everything anyway!

The oddballs are back. 

Machine gun questioning over my car earlier on, and now someone who we'll just describe as 'odd' is sending me more and more bizarre questions as the time passes. He wants a discount because of some border line comedy reasons.   It's on WhatsApp so the messages aren't costing me money, but perhaps he hasn't quite appreciated just how much of his own time he's wasting by suggesting spurious reasons he's expecting a hefty discount.

22 hours ago, captain_70s said:

Not much of a grump compared to some of the above but the fridge at work is disgusting.

The canteen is closed for refurbishment but due to the virus the building work is permanently postponed. So I've taken to bringing in my own food.

The smell from the communal fridge is nauseating, and I'm fairly difficult to disgust. The bottom of it is solid green with mould/rot and everything stored in there comes out smelling of it.

The Tupperware box I store my sandwiches in has to go in the boot of the car on the drive home or the smell makes me feel sick.

You could clean it perhaps?

Work related grump ... or left hand v right hand....

Currently WFH, as previously mentioned somewhere, ringing up punters, trying to get them to sort bills, attempting to resolve queries yadda yadda.

Had a call just after lunch from a witheld number; had it been on m,y own mobile, it'd have gone unanswered, but as it was works....

"Hello is that Bob?"

"Yes, that's me, can I take your postcode or account number please?"

"No, you're a fucking scammer, how dare you phone, me, the fucking water board wouldn't ring from a mobile, I've just rung them, and you don't work for them, fuck off, if you ring me again, I'll find you and I'll beat seven bales of shit out of you" (Hangs up)

WOTEVS. The righteous* indignation is normal, the swearing and threats are normal - usually on the doorstep, makes a change to get them down the phone, people are braver then.... What piqued my interest was his assertion that he'd rung the main number and been told I don't work there.

So, using my Troll Facebook account, I messaged the firm under the guise of the concerned husband of a punter, asking if I work there, and that I'm concerned about scams. The reply came back, "Yes, Bob is a Customer Resolution Manager (new bollocks title, same shit different day), if you've got an outstanding job like a leak (I've not worked on the pipes EVER) or meter query (not done metering for 12 years) then you should answer. If not you can ignore the call".

Well thanks very much for your support. 

TL:DR I work with twats.