The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just spent two hours trying to console a very good mate who is utterly destroyed, he lost his Mum in January to Dementia, his best mate of 40 years died of cancer last month and this afternoon his Dad has died of Covid at the age of 67. The guy had worked all his life and only retired last summer. How the fuck do you deal with that. My mate is divorced and I am genuinely worried about his mental health. To add to the ‘fun’ he house is half owned by his dad who chucked the money in when needed a place after getting divorced. As he has siblings he may also lose his house. I finished on the phone and just broke down, something I have only done when my own dad died many years ago. How the fuck do I help him get through this? I am worried he will do something stupid. I even suggested the Samaritans just in case he was having stupid thoughts. This thing is a real bastard.

I thought I’d fire my ps3 for the first time in 5 years this morning . First issue , 2 discs jammed in the front of the drive .

Got those out with pliers but still won’t take a disc and eject doesn’t sound great . After following a YouTube guide I got the drive to bits and found no less that 3 extra discs jammed in the drive giving a grand total of 5. 
It’s working now though then the fridge started not cooling properly . Condenser fan intake totally blocked and the flap  that controls the air into the fridge not doing bugger all . It’s now producing cold air but not enough so may need to get spendy on a new fridge freezer , not ideal when you’ve just been made redundant .

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

....To add to the ‘fun’ the house is half owned by his dad who chucked the money in when needed a place after getting divorced. As he has siblings he may also lose his house. ....

If half of it is his, he may still have the whip hand depending on what his late father put in his Will (if there is one). If there is no Will, intestacy rules apply and things may get interesting between him and his siblings.

16 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

If half of it is his, he may still have the whip hand depending on what his late father put in his Will (if there is one). If there is no Will, intestacy rules apply and things may get interesting between him and his siblings.

Google tenants in common and joint tenants. 

With one the house goes directly to the other. With the other the % share goes to the beneficiaries of the will. 

His siblings may not actually be bastard twats, and might actually have a moral compass. 

21 minutes ago, New POD said:

Google tenants in common and joint tenants. 

With one the house goes directly to the other. With the other the % share goes to the beneficiaries of the will. 

Yes, I am aware of that (this happens to be part of my work), which is why I said he might still have the whip hand if the Will - if there is one - favours him or expressly leaves his father's share and interest in the property to him.

Just spent two hours trying to console a very good mate who is utterly destroyed, he lost his Mum in January to Dementia, his best mate of 40 years died of cancer last month and this afternoon his Dad has died of Covid at the age of 67. The guy had worked all his life and only retired last summer. How the fuck do you deal with that. My mate is divorced and I am genuinely worried about his mental health. To add to the ‘fun’ he house is half owned by his dad who chucked the money in when needed a place after getting divorced. As he has siblings he may also lose his house. I finished on the phone and just broke down, something I have only done when my own dad died many years ago. How the fuck do I help him get through this? I am worried he will do something stupid. I even suggested the Samaritans just in case he was having stupid thoughts. This thing is a real bastard.
I he is fairly local and he does need some help might be worth looking at this, my wife is one of the volunteer counsellors..4d43805757940b77cab3d254e5d54431.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

On 3/30/2020 at 9:28 PM, mitsisigma01 said:

It was all going good, sweet n sour chicken, peppered beef, chilli prawns, noodles and spring rolls on a tray in the bath ??????IMG_20200330_205830.thumb.jpg.8c8e9d49f7cf3a83b661de6c888cf834.jpg

But, guess what, I had to phone downstairs..... she only forgot to bring the beer and cake up ☹️☹️☹️

15855998829007709618824492780994.thumb.jpg.826059b54265a7a22fb6a991373b4e59.jpg

And she poured the beer badly ???

Should I chop her in for another ?

No fkin way ???

its what,  two weeks in to lockdown, and people have gone feral.

or are you the Captain of the Golgafrinchams "B" ark?

Captain | Hitchhikers | Fandom

as its something that Kerry would never, ever let me get away with!

i am wondering though just how many baths in a day can a person justify.....

2 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

or are you the Captain of the Golgafrinchams "B" ark?

Captain | Hitchhikers | Fandom

Flippin’ heck!

I only saw Hitch Hikers TV show once - back when it was originally aired, but knew straight away that it was from there. Yet I can’t remember what I had for lunch yeterday. (Probably because I forgot to eat any.)

The joys of getting old...

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Yes, I am aware of that (this happens to be part of my work), which is why I said he might still have the whip hand if the Will - if there is one - favours him or expressly leaves his father's share and interest in the property to him.

It can be a shit ball but Some siblings do the right thing anyway.

My grandad left his house to one child (Because she organised his care for a decade) and spilt the money three ways, and left the allegro vandom plas  to the son. 

My aunt split the money from the sale of the house 3 ways, because she would have done that for free and didnt want paying but my uncle refused to sell me the Allegro and never used it, until he scrapped it. 

My mother refused 1/3 of the  money from the house saying her dad was quite sane when he made the will and that was what he wanted. Uncle took his 1/3.

7 hours ago, Wack said:

There are some right dicks driving about

Imagine having a plank coming through your windscreen FFS , police attended after planks found on the motorway...

Is that on the M62 near Rochdale? I'm sure I got on at Ainley Top just behind that thing yesterday on my way to Manchester. I thought then it looked proper dodgy, and made sure I got round it and left it for dust ASAP!

16 minutes ago, andy18s said:

Do you do this as a job?

Ever done motorcycle wheels re-spoking?

Not officially, no.

I've never fully respoked a motorcycle wheel, but I've done partial rebuilds on the moped wheels used on the rickshaws I used to ride. I wouldn't be trusting anything too irreplaceable with me mind!

9 hours ago, C1am said:

Hermes, yet again.

I only went back to them because I had an issue with UPS (now resolved). They have managed to "lose" two of my items in two days. Interesting* to see what they won't cover when you submit a compensation claim:

https://new.myhermes.co.uk/send-a-parcel/non-compensation-items.html

So books would be ok, but not signed books? How do they know without opening?

So all winter I wait for the warm sunny days to return, and yesterday and today there was lovely blue skies whilst out doing my hours state endorsed exercising, and it was warm enough for just a T-shirt. Lovely.

Until the pollen got me!

Grump is that each year I manage to forget I’m a wheezing asthmatic hay fever sufferer, and that from now until autumn I’ll just be one massive dribbling nosed, watering eyed sneezing mess. FFS why was I waiting for spring and when will I learn that winter really is the season for me. 

FFS can we all slow down on AS ? I can't keep up with everything what with all

you WFH types. I only have a few hours a day coz I can still work and I have to drive

11 miles (x2) on nearly deserted roads ,which I'm sure you can understand is effing

brilliant but a bit odd.

OK possibly a bit self centered but highly apposite.....

My better half is a critical care nurse and came back home today after 2 back to back 15 hour night shifts ( which does not phase her or any of her colleagues at all apart from being frazzled) and said that once this crisis is over, she was considering leaving nursing.

When I asked why, the ensuing conversation boiled down to the fact that she. and many there are disconsolate that they are unable to give effective care to patients in desperate need as the system is completely overloaded and they are questioning their calling and inability to help the very people they are putting themselves at risk to help. She has a serious heart condition and asthma, but refuses to stop nursing as she says their need is greater than hers.( Whilst worried I cannot tell you how in awe I am of her)

After many tears and words I think I managed to convince her that not only is she so totally suited to nursing with her empathy and drive to serve those who are at their most vulnerable, but their helplessness is shared by all the worlds' health professionals and they should hold their heads high rather than eviscerate themselves for doing over and above their requirement.

I am incredibly angry and whilst I could pen a diatribe on the political cuts of the last 10 years, will conclude by saying that these people, despite having been placed in an almost untenable position, continue to, despite deficiencies in protective equipment, tend to the desperately sick at palpable risk to themselves and do it gladly.

Please, once this awful situation has passed, can we all make sure that these wonderful people are not left hamstrung and poorly equipped in future?

Rant over, as you were