The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I've had my eye on a motorbike for sale on eBay for a few days. Did the usual checks online mot history etc which were good. It's cheap for what is so decide to take the gamble despite being 250 miles away and no chance of viewing.

Last night I message the seller to check bike was as described and if he was ok with a courier collecting. He replied all was good so I got some quotes for delivery, hit buy it now, paid and put the deposit down for the courier. Sent another message asking for collection address then went to bed. 

Still with me...

This morning 3 messages waiting for me on eBay, first him ranting about not getting in touch. Second he's cancelled and refunded. Third more ranting about time wasters.

So I ring him asking what's the problem. You didn't pay says he, erm but I did replies me your cancellation has triggered a refund. I never put PayPal as a payment option he counters. I point out all ebay auctions have PayPal but if fees are the issue i can pay by bank transfer. This triggers a torrent of abuse, apparently I'm a weird little man with mental health problems etc then ends the call.

So to recap, buying a bike having checked with seller terms, paying and arranging collection equates to me being a weird little man who has to eat the non refundable deposit I put down with the courier.  Ok I probably dodged a bullet but it's left a bad taste.

To crown the fiasco he's relisted at the same price. Bizzare

13 minutes ago, Flashband said:

.....So to recap, buying a bike having checked with seller terms, paying and arranging collection equates to me being a weird little man who has to eat the non refundable deposit I put down with the courier.  Ok I probably dodged a bullet but it's left a bad taste.

To crown the fiasco he's relisted at the same price. Bizzare

I get the feeling he doesn't really want to sell it.

Okay - I’m sorry for this rant, but it’s been building for a while now...

I’m getting fed up being State side. 

Most of my mates have either moved back home or been forced to move to a different part of the country. 

Stupid things are like paper cuts at the moment. Most that you probably wouldn’t think of.

Reading back a page or two here about giving the speeding motorist the ‘wanker’ sign. Over here they would probably think you were waving. As for shouting Wanker at them, they still wouldn’t have a clue FFS.

Watched the US version of the Great British Bake Off tonight called ‘Nailed it’.

I knew it was going to be bad with the opening credits, but they are touting $10k for the winner (as who would just want a bloody cake stand), was three people per episode and every funker had to be shouting or doing some ‘glam’ talk.

I showed my wife a joke about Andrex and then had to explain that Andrex was a brand of loo roll. She only knows what loo roll is because she’s married to me.

I’m also really getting warn down by the accent taking too.

If I was to pretend to be Chinese and put on a Chinese accent (or insert most any foreign national of your choice here), I’d be up before HR at work or become a social lepper. But have a go at the ‘English’ accent. Open flippin season. Dick Van Bloody Dyke.

I must hear someone say ‘pip-pip’ to me every single day of the week as average. And something about ‘Grey Pupon’ which apparently is some mustard some American company decided to scale ‘up market’ by making it British.

Even the woman we just bought our new puppy from at an exorbitant cost, decided to have a go at a bit of ’Chim-chiminy’ speak with me. I moaned about it on the way home to my wife and she says it’s because they like the accent and I should blame Monty Python and Harry Potter. 

Fcuk me. If it wasn’t for Mrs Roobarb and Jnr, I’d be back quicker than a rat up a drain pipe (another colloquialism that they probably have no idea what it means). Sometime Men are from Mars, Women from Venus and being a Brit, I’m from Mary Poppins.

Most of my mates have either moved back home or been forced to move to a different part of the country. 
Stupid things are like paper cuts at the moment. Most that you probably wouldn’t think of.
Reading back a page or two here about giving the speeding motorist the ‘wanker’ sign. Over here they would probably think you were waving. As for shouting Wanker at them, they still wouldn’t have a clue FFS.
Watched the US version of the Great British Bake Off tonight called ‘Nailed it’.
I knew it was going to be bad with the opening credits, but they are touting $10k for the winner (as who would just want a bloody cake stand), was three people per episode and every funker had to be shouting or doing some ‘glam’ talk.
I showed my wife a joke about Andrex and then had to explain that Andrex was a brand of loo roll. She only knows what loo roll is because she’s married to me.
If I was to pretend to be Chinese and put on a Chinese accent (or insert most any foreign national of your choice here), I’d be up before HR at work or become a social lepper. But have a go at the ‘English’ accent. Open flippin season. Dick Van Bloody Dyke.
I must hear someone say ‘pip-pip’ to me every single day of the week as average. And something about ‘Grey Pupon’ which apparently is some mustard some American company decided to scale ‘up market’ by making it British.
Even the woman we just bought our new puppy from at an exorbitant cost, decided to have a go at a bit of ’Chim-chiminy’ speak with me. I moaned about it on the way home to my wife and she says it’s because they like the accent and I should blame Monty Python and Harry Potter. 
Fcuk me. If it wasn’t for Mrs Roobarb and Jnr, I’d be back quicker than a rat up a drain pipe (another colloquialism that they probably have no idea what it means). Sometime Men are from Mars, Women from Venus and being a Brit, I’m from Mary Poppins.
Excellent rant 9/10... Cheers Guvna, cor blimey, love a duck, jellied eels, etc, etc....

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Roobarb said:

Sounds like you need a large glass of whisky.

Sorry, bourbon.

You need to speak to @outlaw118   and invite him over for his jollies. Before you can say 'shandy drinking southerner' he'll be on the next flight in his pearly king outfit.

I spent a bit of time in the States last year, and I found the difference between the west and east coast attitudes to us Brits very odd. 

Despite there being far more of us in California (L.A. in particular), I couldn't pass a day without hearing at least one other Brit, there was a lot more of the above attitude towards me when ordering food/coffee/petrol/beer.

However in South Carolina, I found a completely open and curious attitude, which was quite endearing. 

14 hours ago, hennabm said:

Timing is everything, right!

Checking over my ovlov I noticed it damp underneath it. So a quick check shows that the top hose is the culprit. Once off I can see it has split under the clamp on the stat housing. It is marked Ovlov, so it may be 31years old. 

Temporary fix with self-amalgamating tape until it arrives?

30 minutes ago, Volksy said:

I spent a bit of time in the States last year, and I found the difference between the west and east coast attitudes to us Brits very odd. 

Despite there being far more of us in California (L.A. in particular), I couldn't pass a day without hearing at least one other Brit, there was a lot more of the above attitude towards me when ordering food/coffee/petrol/beer.

However in South Carolina, I found a completely open and curious attitude, which was quite endearing. 

This.

I once set hearts a-flutter in Annapolis MD merely by wishing "good afternoon" to the two 'ladies of a certain age' in the harbour information centre.  It was 2009, I was younger (and thinner) then.

And yes, Domestic Management thought it was HILARIOUS...

8 hours ago, chaseracer said:

This.

I once set hearts a-flutter in Annapolis MD merely by wishing "good afternoon" to the two 'ladies of a certain age' in the harbour information centre.  It was 2009, I was younger (and thinner) then.

And yes, Domestic Management thought it was HILARIOUS...

From all my visits stateside I’ve found you can have this effect especially if you go away from the usual tourist places.  It doesn’t work every time I was quite amused when having a conversation with someone for 5 minutes before they realised I wasn’t American.  

Dear lord, I am going insane.

Being stuck in the damned house is bad enough, but being stuck in the house when everyone else is working from home is a million times worse.  Especially when they're basically working every waking moment, and on bloody conference calls for 80% of that time.

Basically every job on the cars is waiting on parts arriving which aren't going to turn up for goodness only knows how long because the suppliers have shut down.

The garden I can't really do anything with until I've got a way to get rid of the garden waste... that's dependant on both the tip being open and the Citroen being road legal...which is waiting on parts.

I can see me painting the damned fences at this rate, and that's about my least favourite job in the history of the world...

18 hours ago, Roobarb said:

brit.jpg

^^^

Funny coincidence - I’m actually the second from the left in that picture (but I’m not saying which picture!)

Not... :)

I guess I shouldn’t complain. I had another Mary Poppins moment again today, followed by ‘I should really learn how to speak with a British accent... It’s just so sexy...’

21 minutes ago, xtriple said:

This fucking virus shit is expensive! Having to get what you can where you can costs a fortune,....

Yes, it has given retailers the opportunity to edge prices up, partly because their own suppliers are charging more, because it may be costing them more to obtain supplies in turn. Price gouging/profiteering by retailers, on the other hand, is something else.....