The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

This clap for the NHS thing this evening. 

I am all for the NHS and massive respect for everyone who works in health care especially now. 

But what  IS the point in me clapping on the doorstep 30 miles from the hospital, and 2 miles from the heath centre, which is closed? 

I know people want to do something, but this is pointless. May as well shout down the toilet. 

I am NHS and agree completely, I'd rather people just stayed at home isolated instead of poncing around in Lycra, I was working my arse off sorting shit out and the park opposite the clinic was like a scene from Miami fucking beach, they really don't realise what shit is about to go down.  

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Twats who pay themselves by dividend to avoid tax are up in arms that they aren’t eligible for help under the new scheme. They have been milking a system for years and not contributing to society but now expect those of us who play the game to bail them out. FRO and close the door behind you.

Plenty of us had no choice but to operate through a service company. Genuinely. Those of us who did have a choice were often offered 3 years under a service company or 6 months as a freelancer.

I don’t know a single soul who would ever EVER opt to pay more in tax. 

As for not contributing to society? Really??

At least I know what people think of me. Don’t worry, I’m too proud to ask for help anyway... 

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

This clap for the NHS thing this evening. 

I am all for the NHS and massive respect for everyone who works in health care especially now. 

But what  IS the point in me clapping on the doorstep 30 miles from the hospital, and 2 miles from the heath centre, which is closed? 

I know people want to do something, but this is pointless. May as well shout down the toilet. 

Its a great idea in parts but I was confused earlier when it all kicked off.

What are you clapping for ?
The NHS people!
So I peered out the window and asked "Is there an Ambulance out there ?"
No, but we all do it

I went back to stirring dinner (Not a euphemism) and cogitated.
Its something to do, keeping a routine of some sort but that isnt the only option.

Wearing my cynical hat, I think this is a disguised way of getting people to check up on each other, if Ethel and Cedric dont open the door................

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Twats who pay themselves by dividend to avoid tax are up in arms that they aren’t eligible for help under the new scheme. They have been milking a system for years and not contributing to society but now expect those of us who play the game to bail them out. FRO and close the door behind you.

If they pay themselves in dividends they will get quite rightly shafted by HMRC.

If they pay themselves a salary AND reap the rewards of risk through dividends as the law allows I dont see a problem.

https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02177/PF-loadsamoney_2177214b.jpg

2 hours ago, Timewaster said:

I can't work up any hate for this, sorry.

I wondered WTF was going on outside when I heard it, loud cheering and clapping round here usually means a good fight is happening outside but I was on a few local Faceache groups and one or two NHS workers had been allowed home for some reason and actually heard it and were pretty positive about it.

It's the 2020 equivalent of 'Fighting them on the beaches' I guess.

3 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I can't work up any hate for this, sorry.

Agreed. It didn't cost anything or hurt anybody (hopefully). Created a degree of neighbourly solidarity. Sure, no NHS worker might have heard your claps, but I bet plenty did and were cheered/encouraged/boosted by it. Definitely not a time-waster

Don't begrudge the employed and self-employed a penny of this money, but how can the government afford it for now and at what interest rate are they going to charge the people? Unless I've missed something, not sure if they are just genuinely giving them it or it has to be repaid.

Also, big fucking wow they're knocking NHS parking fees on the head until this is over. They should never have been charged in the first place and an end to the fees should be permanent. 

Just now, GBJ said:

All the zero hours contractors count as self employed don't they?

Don't think they have been living off dividends.

No, zero hours contracts are employees but without any guaranteed work.

Uber/yodel/deliveroo are self employed.

Dividends are a thing for LTD company directors

14 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Don't begrudge the employed and self-employed a penny of this money, but how can the government afford it for now and at what interest rate are they going to charge the people? Unless I've missed something, not sure if they are just genuinely giving them it or it has to be repaid.

I think there's either going to have to be massive tax rises across the board or we'll be in a  long recession that'll make the financial crash of 2008 look like a tenner blown out your hand on a windy day.

The economic costs of this will be felt long after the social & medical fallout is under control.

18 minutes ago, Spiny Norman said:

I think there's either going to have to be massive tax rises across the board or we'll be in a  long recession that'll make the financial crash of 2008 look like a tenner blown out your hand on a windy day.

The economic costs of this will be felt long after the social & medical fallout is under control.

Well, a long as we are still alive to moan about it then it won't be all bad. 

"YOU HAVE TO POST MY ITEM!"

Er... no.  No we don't.  It's not our fault that the lockdown happened just after the auction ended and every other bidder we've contacted has both paid already and are being super reasonable and understanding about our inability to post anything out just at the moment what with everything being shut.  It's just you that's making these demands, fellah, and you've not even paid yet.  Oh, you're cancelling the order?  Okay, no worries.  Don't let the door hit you on the arse too hard on the way out, eh?  Cretin.

5 hours ago, vulgalour said:

"YOU HAVE TO POST MY ITEM!"

Er... no.  No we don't.  It's not our fault that the lockdown happened just after the auction ended and every other bidder we've contacted has both paid already and are being super reasonable and understanding about our inability to post anything out just at the moment what with everything being shut.  It's just you that's making these demands, fellah, and you've not even paid yet.  Oh, you're cancelling the order?  Okay, no worries.  Don't let the door hit you on the arse too hard on the way out, eh?  Cretin.

I've not received the seatbelts I bought from someone (not on here) for the xsara. I think so far he's just been useless, and may even be a scammed but now it's lockdown, I'm just leaving it for now. Getting scammed out of £25 is the worst case, eventually getting seatbelts before the MOT tests start again is the best case. 

After spending all day emptying my parents house, including carrying 133 boxes down into the garage, a good 50 of them full of books the stupid brand new airbed I was sleeping on went fully flat overnight. I'm in mega hurty mode now, are all air beds so fucking shit? All of mine do it to some degree and this was a brand new one mum found in the loft... 

I'm sure when I start carrying heavy boxes it'll hurt less*

I think I'm the only person who thought the NHS clap was lame. I'm very anti-planned-clapping out the window. The Italian one was novel and more spontaneous. This one was contrived.

I'm very pro actually paying competitive wages for NHS, ditching shitty parking charges and shitty paperwork where they're forced to waste time. I'd gladly pay more tax to make this happen. Practical thanks rather than a token gesture. 

Saying this, I also don't like birthday cards so maybe I'm just a grumpy shite.

I assume a lot of people clapping out the window are also the same people collecting in parks, making unnecessary trips and flouting the isolation rules.

7 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

I think I'm the only person who thought the NHS clap was lame. I'm very anti-planned-clapping out the window. The Italian one was novel and more spontaneous. This one was contrived.

I'm very pro actually paying competitive wages for NHS, ditching shitty parking charges and shitty paperwork where they're forced to waste time. I'd gladly pay more tax to make this happen. Practical thanks rather than a token gesture. 

I assume a lot of people clapping out the window are also the same people collecting in parks, making unnecessary trips and flouting the isolation rules.

I guess if even one nurse felt a tweeny bit more appreciated for completely seperating from their family for 12 weeks and going balls deep into  harms way trying to save people with the most deadly virus in modern times, whilst being rewarded with £1700 month then it was likely not that lame really.

Hopefully the public can come up with something less contrived, original and more to your taste next time, any preferences ?   

35 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

We bought a cheap double one from a camping warehouse a couple of years ago and it's been absolutely fine.  We stick a normal bedsheet on it and it just works.  Does deflate a bit -TADTS but not much.  Most are utterly shite though, you're right.

This was some decent brand. Granted all the ones I ever buy are cheap shit from tesco that then get blown up in the back of the car for shitefest so I'll let those off. 

Meh, I've lifted many heavy things now, that's sorted my body out! 

44 minutes ago, omegod said:

I guess if even one nurse felt a tweeny bit more appreciated for completely seperating from their family for 12 weeks and going balls deep into  harms way trying to save people with the most deadly virus in modern times, whilst being rewarded with £1700 month then it was likely not that lame really.

Hopefully the public can come up with something less contrived, original and more to your taste next time, any preferences ?   

Imagine having a different opinion to you and a bunch of other people eh? Well aware it wasn't about me.

I'm saying that a practical solution might be a bit more appreciated than a clap out the window. Removing parking charges was a good start.

People staying indoors would also be a much nicer gesture

9 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Absolutely, plus of course it'll be a good excuse not to build the 40 new hospitals that they weren't going to build anyway. We'll just be expected to deal with it as employers tell us there's no money for a rise, fuck peoples hours about and the end of the zero hours contracts is even further away.

12 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

But people who’ve only been self employed a few months? That sucks. 

Welcome to my world. TBF, I was expecting nowt and the Chancellor duly delivered. Any other 5%-ers out there (and not of the 50K a year and over variety either) ?

You could see Jenrick squirming on QT last night, and he inferred anyone in the 5%-below 50K bracket should still send their accounts to HMRC. Nope, that won't work Robert. I've got one month's worth of accounts, and my profit is about 50p thus far.

3 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Imagine having a different opinion to you and a bunch of other people eh? Well aware it wasn't about me.

I'm saying that a practical solution might be a bit more appreciated than a clap out the window. Removing parking charges was a good start.

People staying indoors would also be a much nicer gesture

I’m one of the normal people who participated, unfortunately I don’t have the power to remove parking charges but I was able to show a very small gesture of appreciation.
I’m also staying in apart from travel to and from work. 

Am I doing this right or wrong? 

4 hours ago, sdkrc said:

I agree.

The clapping was somewhat contrived, but I'm not against it as such.

I'm more against the way it's almost being treated as an alternative to doing something tangible to help the NHS rather than being complimentary to some practical measures.

There was a post on reddit this morning asking what the exchange rate was for NHS claps to the pound, so they knew how many claps they'd need to pay their rent, for example (Yes I know it's somewhat tongue in cheek, but also not entirely so).

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

Surely the hmrc have all out tax returns? They just need to got through the last three years of everyones account and send the check out in the post.
Or am I missing something?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

tenor.gif