The grumpy thread

outlaw118

14 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Cars are parked on the street, not allowed outside for non-essential reasons,  can't work on the cars for the next month. Still got to go to work mind.

Wank.

At least I did the oil change on the Acclaim on Sunday...

you need to drive to work ergo working on car may be seen as essential

9 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

you need to drive to work ergo working on car may be seen as essential

I've a significant history of pushing my luck but arguing tinkering with a car that hasn't moved in over a year is essential for commuting may be a step too far...

Currently waiting in a queue at my local pharmacy for essential medication (which I've been trying to get out of our GP for nearly a fortnight having seen this coming!).  It's been an hour and a half and counting and the queue hasn't moved more than a few feet yet.  This is going to take most of the afternoon at this rate.

Just thinking.... it hurts.

However, just wondering about the lack of manufacturing/producing stuff and other stuff such as fruit and veg picking. What happens when the Big Warehouses that hold a Lot Of Food are empty and no-one is able to properly replenish the warehouses.

We might have HGV drivers, supermarket workers and so on but if there is little to put in the shops from said warehouses we will be somewhat screwed.

Thoughtful grump...

I think I'm starting to go a little deranged. For the first time since I was 17 my friends are regularly noticing I'm not myself, and I'm finding myself loking at airsoft shotguns and trying to work out the best way to defend my house in case all goes to shit, seeing as the parents refuse to get a house alarm. A little too much time to think, perhaps?? 

I know I'm a bike mechanic and should be able to go to work, but sadly despite his willingness to carry on last week, my boss is completely demoralised and told me 'this shit isn't worth dying for'. So I don't even have a job to go to. 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:39 PM, Crackers said:

"So on top of yesterday's shit show I have just had the report back from the garage.

2buckled alloys =£1030
Broken steering rack =£1916 plus labour to fit
Bent chassis at the place the strut joins the car = £ thousands

Long and short ... the car is a write off"

I thought we had some round here but, fuck me, that's the pothole to end all potholes ?

Well it wasn't unexpected but just had the email through confirming that ConFuzzled has indeed been cancelled.  Knew it was 99.99% likely to happen even weeks ago with how things were going, but it still sucks.

That's now literally every event in my diary this year now cancelled save for FotU - though I'll be massively surprised if that doesn't meet the same fate.

In other news, I need to go back to the damned pharmacy again tomorrow as they've only given me half the sodding order.

I socially isolate by habit, if I had to keep two meters away from people for the rest of my life then that would suit me perfectly well. Make it 5 meters, I'm happy to shout.

I can go weeks or months with my only social interactions (bar the mrs) are in shops or pubs. Don't get me wrong I don't hate people, but I really enjoy being on my own and honestly the thought of a 1981 "The Quiet Earth" (cracking film) world would suit me perfectly.

But now that we're encouraged to be alone, I have to come home and be with a person, and I can't go and drive my camper to a field 10 miles away, cook up some chilli and rice from a can and watch old episodes of Kitchen Nightmares which realistically would harm nobody and do me a world of good. 

7 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Doesn't playing Marilion in a public place count as behaviour likely to cause a breach of the peace ??

6 hours ago, xtriple said:

Marilion is the music of the Gods (but only with Fish warbling) second only to the dearly beloved Pink Floyd :) 

Another yay to Marillion. Is White Russian the greatest song ever written? It's up there. Thirty years old but as relevant as ever. Very prescient. 

11 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

you didn't say it wasn't the acclaim! ?

That also needs work tbh, just less of it... The rad is weeping and the exhaust is rattling in an angry fashion.

In a fresh grump two lightbulbs have blown in the flat since the lockdown was announced. It's like it fucking knows...

3 hours ago, strangeangel said:

I thought we had some round here but, fuck me, that's the pothole to end all potholes ?

You're not joking. Here's the offender... I nearly spat my brew out when he sent me these! ???Screenshot_20200325-005323.thumb.jpg.96cd93f27a7681969e4bd6f250050e2f.jpgScreenshot_20200325-005318.thumb.jpg.9953c9dc9e128965846fb062cedac020.jpgScreenshot_20200325-005329.thumb.jpg.a3279efff2397fe04238f25168b4a5d4.jpgScreenshot_20200325-005311.thumb.jpg.cca67f730758c7f12d93a18427c4f67c.jpg

I can't imagine the noise that must have made as he hit it ?

10 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Well it wasn't unexpected but just had the email through confirming that ConFuzzled has indeed been cancelled.  Knew it was 99.99% likely to happen even weeks ago with how things were going, but it still sucks.

That's now literally every event in my diary this year now cancelled save for FotU - though I'll be massively surprised if that doesn't meet the same fate.

In other news, I need to go back to the damned pharmacy again tomorrow as they've only given me half the sodding order.

Can't they deliver?

There are deliveries from several local pharmacies every hour or thereabouts here (just this street, three dozen houses)

I'd like to make another big shout out to everyone who doesn't believe the rules apply to them. Fuck you. 

Had to go to the shops. 2min drive. Street was busier than I've ever seen it. Guy with fishing gear, 2 big groups of 4+ people walking together, guy washing his bike on the pavement...

Good lump of people on here are just as bad. 

What's the point? 

After 9 days of mainly having a virus (you may have heard of it?) and now apparently now being nontoxic I took my Boris permitted exercise of walking almost 75 meters to the PUG 206 to find milk, bread all gone very off and engine no longer working so walked the 75 meters back.  That bodes well for next week as work decided to carry on. Wonder if I can be bothered as a testing non-medical stuff in a secure production facility seems non essential but being a hourly contractor is no work no pay.

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

I'd like to make another big shout out to everyone who doesn't believe the rules apply to them. Fuck you. 

Had to go to the shops. 2min drive. Street was busier than I've ever seen it. Guy with fishing gear, 2 big groups of 4+ people walking together, guy washing his bike on the pavement...

Good lump of people on here are just as bad. 

What's the point? 

People are Dicks, the idea that GREAT Britain is in some way special seems to make these knobheads feel immune. In a fortnight we will be making Italy and Spain look worth going to again.

1 hour ago, sdkrc said:

I'd like to make another big shout out to everyone who doesn't believe the rules apply to them.

Aye.  I've noted when out for a quick walk to get my allowed once daily exercise and to walk the dogs that the park local to us is way busier than usual and there's just generally a lot of people around.  We had to make a run to a supermarket yesterday and the town centre seemed maybe 20% quieter than usual.

Just back from today's pilgrimage to the pharmacy to pick up the stuff they forgot to give me yesterday.  This was the queue.

1927961033_Screenshot_20200325_1602032.thumb.jpg.a9e5f5c36a2bde4311c0b8d3e515f464.jpg

Not helped by them having massively restricted their opening hours.  They normally run 0700-2300, now are just doing 1000-1700...and obviously it's taking longer to serve folks as they're using the window counter only (they're painfully slow even on a normal day), plus they're clearly going to see additional demand as folks don't want to get stuck at home and run out of meds. 

I realise that these are trying times and all...but a pharmacy is an area I'd have expected them to do what they can to improve accessibility not reduce it.

Aside from anything else, how are you meant to pick up your medication if you're working normal hours?  You're snookered.