The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Shit design, shit designer!

Flexible multiple platforms are all great and that at reducing costs to make the psychopathic bosses at VW/Audi stinkingly richer, but it can just suck too.

My friend's 06 VW Touran doesn't let you place the windscreen wiper arms so they sit off the windscreen without removing the bonnet!

20200321_113417.jpg

20200321_113508.jpg

22 minutes ago, r.welfare said:

On my slightly later one (59 plate), if you flick the wiper switch down a few seconds after removing the key, the wipers park in the vertical position.  Worth a try?

Ok I'll try it! Thanks. Still a bit faffy for something that is achieved by simply not putting the wipers and bonnet in conflict.

Still don't love VAG, despite having two VW cars.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:30 PM, Zelandeth said:

Why is common sense so far from common?

Because sadly "common sense" barely exists anymore. Its a rare thing these days that has been forgotton or chased out of peoples senses and replaced by their sense of entitlement and the rapidly growing "me first" attitude" that has so far massively displayed itself through the panic-buying twats who have cleared the shelves of various supermarkets not thinking that the helpers of housebound vunerable elderly people will be unable to find stuff for them. 

1 minute ago, Lord Sterling said:

Because sadly "common sense" barely exists anymore. Its a rare thing that has been forgotton by the last couple of generations or chased out of their senses by the sense of entitlement and the rapidly growing "me first" attitude" that has so far massively displayed itself through the panic-buying twats who have cleared the shelves of various supermarkets not thinking that the helpers of housebound vunerable elderly people will be unable to find stuff for them. 

I spend about 30 minutes in Asda car park everyday (or did) waiting for my daughters school bus and it was overwhelmingly the elderly who I saw bringing out the massive overloaded trolleys. There were couples in their 80s who had enough bog roll to make it worth leaving in their wills. Over the course of last week I saw very few middle age people doing this, and no youngsters at all. When they were filming about the hour for the old at some shops, every trolley you could see was laden with stuff I can’t believe they would get in a normal week. I am in self isolation now due to immunosuppressive drugs for my arthritis and have fuck all in the fridge because ASDA, Aldi and Morrisons have been emptied by these locusts.

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

I spend about 30 minutes in Asda car park everyday (or did) waiting for my daughters school bus and it was overwhelmingly the elderly who I saw bringing out the massive overloaded trolleys. There were couples in their 80s who had enough bog roll to make it worth leaving in their wills. Over the course of last week I saw very few middle age people doing this, and no youngsters at all. When they were filming about the hour for the old at some shops, every trolley you could see was laden with stuff I can’t believe they would get in a normal week. I am in self isolation now due to immunosuppressive drugs for my arthritis and have fuck all in the fridge because ASDA, Aldi and Morrisons have been emptied by these locusts.

Absolutely. The last part of my post was actually a personal rant as a neighbour of mine is very elderly and currently housebound, she doesn't have a large mixture of various foods. One particular stock of food that she does eat was out of stock in 5 supermarkets I visited on Friday. Thankfully I found some last night restocked and bought a few packets for her so she won't go without.

The common sense being replaced by self-entitlement comment applies to all ages. Young and old.

45 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Stop it. Please, for the sake of all our sanity while we're in isolation.

I have nothing against invacars, as such. Just stop shoehorning them into conversation so ungracefully at every 'opportunity'.

it wasn't an attempt to shove it into a conversion ungainly but just some humor maybe an even an actual idea for how Zel could walk his dogs in "isolation"  (especially how he has down it in the past with the C5 :)

espically as himself owns a Model 70 I figured he and maybe others would appreciate the humor, but I guess im sadly mistaken

I have deleted the post and moved it to his own personal thread

My grumps. 

1. My other half has an intermittent cough, not a continuous one, but Doctor said she should self isolate anyway. I think it's twaddle, but hey, we weren't planning on going anywhere anyway. 

2. I have had a sore throat for about a day, no cough or fever though. A bit better now. 

3. Its fucking mother's day, and for reasons I don't really want to talk about, that gets me into a bad place. 

Ordered dinner for delivery just before 1830.

Still hasn't arrived.  Was expecting stuff to be a bit slower than usual tonight, but this is ridiculous.

In 25 minutes I have to take my meds and start winding down for the night.

If their deliveries are anything like ours it's gone mental busy. Our footfall through the shop has decreased, but not by much, but the deliveries have nearly doubled.Its mad! I have taken to laying the food parcel on the doorstep, ringing the bell and retreating to the gate just so I can avoid contact. The o es that have not paid online I have to take cash for so I have nitrile gloves on, as cash is the filthiest, most germ infected stuff about.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

No consequence for being an anti social selfish cunt.   

Add minimal help or understanding for those with mental disabilities from Joe public & yobbos.

Finally add in panic and fear, and you get a boiling pot.

That sounds like Mumsnet on a good day. 

4 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

No consequence for being an anti social selfish cunt.   

Driving past Tesco and its enormous queue before it had even opened, I had a daydream about a team of volunteers, stood down from their day job to help shops deal with complaints and poor behaviour. 

I would love to man a customer service desk. 

"Tesco takes your complaint seriously,  however, they have better things to do so I am here to tell you that you are an entitled whinging cunt and twats like you are the reason there aren't any fucking baked beans so why don't you fuck off, and when you get there, fuck off some more. 

Next!" 

Others could take a more pro active, punching twats who can't behave like civilised humans approach. 

Oh well, I can dream. 

My mate has a lovely BMW 330i, he worked his arse off to afford it, and it was his treat to himself when he was in a pretty low place a couple of years ago. 

Always treated it to dealer servicing, quality parts (although it's never needed much), driven carefully, cleaned often and always taken care of it as much as possible - in other words it's his absolute pride and joy and I know there's not many cars he'd change it for.

He messaged me the other day saying he'd hit a bad pothole and it had borked 2 alloys and something steering related. Oh dear, thinks I, but that could have been worse.
Fast forward to today, he sends me this:

"So on top of yesterday's shit show I have just had the report back from the garage.
2buckled alloys =£1030
Broken steering rack =£1916 plus labour to fit
Bent chassis at the place the strut joins the car = £ thousands

Long and short ... the car is a write off"

To get a message like that from one of my closest mates really does upset me, he's been dragged through the bushes backwards a bit recently and things aren't going his way. This is the absolute last thing he needs.

My mate has a lovely BMW 330i, he worked his arse off to afford it, and it was his treat to himself when he was in a pretty low place a couple of years ago. 
Always treated it to dealer servicing, quality parts (although it's never needed much), driven carefully, cleaned often and always taken care of it as much as possible - in other words it's his absolute pride and joy and I know there's not many cars he'd change it for.
He messaged me the other day saying he'd hit a bad pothole and it had borked 2 alloys and something steering related. Oh dear, thinks I, but that could have been worse.
Fast forward to today, he sends me this:
"So on top of yesterday's shit show I have just had the report back from the garage.
2buckled alloys =£1030
Broken steering rack =£1916 plus labour to fit
Bent chassis at the place the strut joins the car = £ thousands

Long and short ... the car is a write off"
To get a message like that from one of my closest mates really does upset me, he's been dragged through the bushes backwards a bit recently and things aren't going his way. This is the absolute last thing he needs.
Has he tried submitting a claim to the council? https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-do-i-report-a-pothole-and-claim-compensation

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Just now, Floatylight said:

Has he tried submitting a claim to the council?

He's going to try, for sure. However apparently they came out and fixed it the same day it happened, so christ knows if anything will happen as they can claim they knew about it.

2 hours ago, Mally said:

If they knew about it, they should have coned it off, until it was repaired.

No cones, no paint. I've seen the pics (it's HUGE). 

1 hour ago, rainagain said:

I know it’s not ideal and I’m not sure of the car’s value. But would it be worth going through their insurance? Assuming the premium increase over the next X years will be less than the car’s value? 

He wants to avoid insurance if poss, for various reasons. Not my place to be posting about his personal life so won't go further. 

So I dropped the Boxster off for an MOT tomorrow early today. It's parked in very much less than salubrious part in Bristol centre. My concern is that a bunch of bored kids / young adults with nothing to do in an area of Bristol where laws are often optional, may pick on a car garage as somewhere "interesting". ?

They may well be open though. As my best mate who is a doctor in a hospital ITU, what does he do if his car breakdown and needs to go to work?

I've just had a new CV joint for the V70 delivered - looks like that's also going to be sat on the shelf for a while.  It's a shame the Merc isn't mobile - otherwise I could get it off the drive and rotate the cars that are on the drive so I can work on them.  This would obviously be within the confines of the current restrictions - I would go food shopping in one car and come home in a different one.