The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Just now, Wack said:

intensive farming , chemicals that weren't around 50 years ago in the food chain , processed food , I think it's all connected to allergies and cancers.

There is that. I cook 95% of dinners from scratch using the best quality ingredients which as a family we can afford.

Occasionally as a family we’ll get a takeaway or have the odd sauce from a jar, or have a ding meal but it’ll make me feel shit afterwards.

10 minutes ago, Craig the Princess said:

So people with allergies can't eat out to stop you suffering the pain of having to say "no, I don't have any allergies".

I dont know what the response to yes is so they might be able to eat in there once the cafe lawyers have spoken to them or they might have to go home 

If you have allergies it's your responsibility to make sure you're eating safe food but it seems like it's just something that cafe has decided to do as I can't find anything about an incoming law

So as you were, it's the grumpy thread and I was grumpy 

1 hour ago, Craig the Princess said:

So people with allergies can't eat out to stop you suffering the pain of having to say "no, I don't have any allergies".

If I had a potentially fatal allergy I wouldn't be eating out. Seriously why would you take that chance?

Difference is foodservice prep for someone who states they have allergy to X is different from "don't it any mushrooms in it please, I don't like mushrooms".

One requires all the surfaces and knives and such to be completely scrubbed and prepped before the food is prepared, the other involves normal kitchen business and not putting ingredient X in.

It's surprising how many people claim allergy when in fact they just don't like the ingredient and have had some kitchen in the past forget it was requested to be left off the order, so claim allergy to make sure.

Assholery through ignorance.

Phil

Edit: there does seem to have been a spike in allergies to these things though, all around the time that "produced with generic engineering" became a thing. Connected? Evidently the plants are more hardy and now kill the pests that eat them... Wait, is that as good thing, plants that kill things that are considered food?

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Aside from the questions around personal responsiblity, risk averseness etc - what the hell is going on these days with bloody allergies?  It seems that every second person now is allergic to something or other.  When I was a kid the concept of somebody dying through eating a tiny bit of peanut was pretty much unheard of.

I fly for work quite a bit and nothing has me wanting to spray roasted KP around like so much buckshot than an announcement which I often hear; “due to a passengers severe nut allergy we won’t be serving any food or drink on this flight”. 

ETA - my annoyance is at the blame/claim culture and money saving “not my job” attitudes here, not the few people with the lurgy.

1 hour ago, Sir Snipes said:

If I had a potentially fatal allergy I wouldn't be eating out. Seriously why would you take that chance?

It’s quite easy to eat out if you have allergies - Ask for the allergies book. Most of the allergen ingredients are found in sauces, glazes and dressings. The restaurant will make sure an allergy sufferer’s meal is cooked in isolation from other dishes.

I tend to stick to a mixed grill or steak with a jacket potato and some fresh veg. Relatively healthy, tasty and (for me at least) allergy free.

Has anyone noticed how UK road users appear to be adopting the French principle of Priorité à droite - although obviously from the left.

At lower, town speeds, folk approaching a junction on your left will simply pull out expecting you to slow just enough to let them out. I used to swear about it, but realise that I've gradually  accepted it as the new norm.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

It’s quite easy to eat out if you have allergies - Ask for the allergies book. Most of the allergen ingredients are found in sauces, glazes and dressings. The restaurant will make sure an allergy sufferer’s meal is cooked in isolation from other dishes.

I tend to stick to a mixed grill or steak with a jacket potato and some fresh veg. Relatively healthy, tasty and (for me at least) allergy free.

Until one day they don't and then you're dead cos a bit of seaseme found it's way into your artichoke baguette. 

6 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

EXACTLY

A young girl in Blackburn died after eating nuts in a takeaway dish , why on earth you'd take that chance if your life was at stake I have no idea, somebody is in prison now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-48300528

When this drove in I thought "Nice, R8 V10, not something you see every day."

This abruptly changed to "Typical sodding Audi driver!" when she very deliberately parked it taking up four spaces.

IMG_20200312_161209.thumb.jpg.16163166f8a5e4c0c6e79666ed471601.jpg

Really wish I'd been in the Invacar as I'd had totally gone and parked in the space by her driver's door and buggered off to the cafe for an hour...

Congrats lady, you went from looking quite cool to looking a total idiot in precisely ten seconds.

Yes I get that it's a wide, expensive car with big doors...there are no end of totally empty rows at both ends of the car park, but no...you felt this was appropriate.

Hope she gets four penalty charge notices...one for each space she's parked not fully within...

6 hours ago, barefoot said:

Has anyone noticed how UK road users appear to be adopting the French principle of Priorité à droite - although obviously from the left.

At lower, town speeds, folk approaching a junction on your left will simply pull out expecting you to slow just enough to let them out. I used to swear about it, but realise that I've gradually  accepted it as the new norm.

Yes. Thought this was just me, but seems increasingly common for drivers to charge towards a give way, presumably hoping that oncoming traffic will shit themselves and wave them out.

30 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

This abruptly changed to "Typical sodding Audi driver!" when she very deliberately parked it taking up four spaces.

If that B&Q is anything like ours some considerate* fellow customer will ram a large trolley into the door soon enough.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Really wish I'd been in the Invacar as I'd had totally gone and parked in the space by her driver's door and buggered off to the cafe for an hour...

Congrats lady, you went from looking quite cool to looking a total idiot in precisely ten seconds.

Yes I get that it's a wide, expensive car with big doors...there are no end of totally empty rows at both ends of the car park, but no...you felt this was appropriate.

Hope she gets four penalty charge notices...one for each space she's parked not fully within...

not exactly a lack of spaces though......why get tweaked about it?

On 3/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, dozeydustman said:

Nope. Same litter as since I met the wife. Some of the cat's other behaviour has been odd over the last few months, so I do think it's the start of Feline dementia/Alzheimer's.

Weird behaviour includes rejecting food if me or stepdaughter has put it down (other cat noms it up fine); excessive grooming (regularly brushed and flea treated and no skin issues), a lot of puking (not just hairballs), sleeping all day unless the wife is at home, whom gets harassment and constant miaowing from the moment she gets up until bedtime.

She's done it again since this morning, and giving that "I don't give a fuck" look that cats do when they know they're being naughty.

Get her to the vets, mate - odd behaviour like this can be the cat trying to tell you something's up.

So you have a bunch of keys.

This contains a key for the following :

Home garage keys, Unit keys, Work keys and a load of misc' padlock and other stuff ... Yep I've lost the lot.

Starting to think I'm going mad. As looked at the place I can see myself putting them - NOPE, even turned my house upside down.

Not having a good month ?

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Why does it really you so much, the car park has hundreds of empty spaces 

This is shit parking , she couldn't find a space so chose the pedestrian entrance 

20200312_165920.jpg

Did a delivery into that there London yesterday. The shippers blind-sided me at pick up (was there to take a tiny wee box to Soho) and said 'can you pick up some shelving from the loading bay and take it onto Ilford after Soho'. Nae bother, says I, stick a few more quid on the job.

Into Soho from Notts was a breeze - the new 20 limit in the CC/ULEZ area makes it a very pleasant drive, if truth be told. Anyway, dropped off at Soho, rung shipper to confirm ETA for Ilford. Advised them 'Easter'.

Two fucking hours to do 9 miles. Two HOURS.

Tipped at Ilford. Drove 126 miles home. Two HOURS 15 minutes.

Fuck London.

Fucking memory.  

I've done drop links before, but forgot how I managed to get them off last time (for the uninitiated, the threaded part spins when you try to take the nut off, and the allen key hole in it is invariably rusted to fuck and unusable).  Spent at least half the day pissing about with heat, angle grinder, drill etc etc trying to get the first one off, about a quarter of the day walking to the tool shop to buy a nut splitter, then an eight of the day actually changing the things.  

Oh, and my ageing brain also allowed me to carefully don some protective goggles when using the angle grinder, but completely forget about gloves, whilst working in an enclosed small space trying to cut through something with a different material halfway through it.  

8 hours ago, clayts450 said:

Did a delivery into that there London yesterday. The shippers blind-sided me at pick up (was there to take a tiny wee box to Soho) and said 'can you pick up some shelving from the loading bay and take it onto Ilford after Soho'. Nae bother, says I, stick a few more quid on the job.

Into Soho from Notts was a breeze - the new 20 limit in the CC/ULEZ area makes it a very pleasant drive, if truth be told. Anyway, dropped off at Soho, rung shipper to confirm ETA for Ilford. Advised them 'Easter'.

Two fucking hours to do 9 miles. Two HOURS.

Tipped at Ilford. Drove 126 miles home. Two HOURS 15 minutes.

Fuck London.

I did what you're doing in 2014 for 9 months , I hated going to London 

Final straw was when I picked up some IT equipment , the guy gave me an A4 sheet with a phone number on , ring him the second you get there 

Only is was the email from the courier co I was subbing for I read it after the delivery , they were charging over double what they were giving me so I fucked them off there and then 

Dont miss driving in london one bit