The grumpy thread

outlaw118

9 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

With your love of the green oval you'll be needing to buy a winch then... How about a nice WARN one, unused, still in the box with accessories kit, look lovely on a Landy. 

I thought you were thinking about the Kangoo182, nice. 

Most miserable place... How long have you been living in Crawley!! 

But first I'd need something to attach it to... And that's where I'm failing so far. 

I do like that Kangoo 182!!

I'm not even the far from Crawley either... ?

Come downstairs to see the cat pissing in not the litter box again.

She is doing this deliberately as she saw me first then deliberately squatted on the carpet. Different place from yesterday.

Do cats actually serve any fucking useful purpose apart from get on my tits and shit all over people gardens? Only farmers need mousers these days.

They will be banned when I am prime minister.

9 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

Come downstairs to see the cat pissing in not the litter box again.

She is doing this deliberately as she saw me first then deliberately squatted on the carpet. Different place from yesterday.

Do cats actually serve any fucking useful purpose apart from get on my tits and shit all over people gardens?

Cats aren't really all that domesticated anyway. 

18 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Have you changed the make of litter in her tray recenty? It could be a protest 'cos she doesn't like it. Cats are funny fuckers and do weird things but usually there's a reasone... somewhere.

Nope. Same litter as since I met the wife. Some of the cat's other behaviour has been odd over the last few months, so I do think it's the start of Feline dementia/Alzheimer's.

Weird behaviour includes rejecting food if me or stepdaughter has put it down (other cat noms it up fine); excessive grooming (regularly brushed and flea treated and no skin issues), a lot of puking (not just hairballs), sleeping all day unless the wife is at home, whom gets harassment and constant miaowing from the moment she gets up until bedtime.

She's done it again since this morning, and giving that "I don't give a fuck" look that cats do when they know they're being naughty.

Went to a cafe this morning , the girl who took my order  asked if I had any allergies, no, why are you asking me , it's a new law that's coming in , anyone selling food has to ask

why is it their problem if a customer has an allergy , if the customer is allergic to food in a cafe they shouldn't eat in a cafe they should eat food they've prepared so they know 100% it's safe, especially if it could kill them.

21st century bollocks, everything is somebody else's problem, personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past.

To be fair, if you opened a nut free wheat free dairy free cafe, and could guarantee that nothing had an alleged, you'd make a fucking fortune. 

I tried buying stuff in the shops to treat a nephew and every fucking thing may contain traces of something. 

Something in my house is beeping every few minutes. I don't know what and I can't find it. It is not the smoke alarms, I've stood under all of them and the beep is definitely somewhere else , plus they're mains wired and there is no fault showing on the panel. (I've stood next to that as well) It's not the oven either. It is driving me up the wall.

5 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Something in my house is beeping every few minutes. I don't know what and I can't find it. It is not the smoke alarms, I've stood under all of them and the beep is definitely somewhere else , plus they're mains wired and there is no fault showing on the panel. (I've stood next to that as well) It's not the oven either. It is driving me up the wall.

do ya have a Carbon monoxide alarm or such perhaps that's beeping at ya?

3 hours ago, Wack said:

Went to a cafe this morning , the girl who took my order  asked if I had any allergies, no, why are you asking me , it's a new law that's coming in , anyone selling food has to ask

why is it their problem if a customer has an allergy , if the customer is allergic to food in a cafe they shouldn't eat in a cafe they should eat food they've prepared so they know 100% it's safe, especially if it could kill them.

21st century bollocks, everything is somebody else's problem, personal responsibility seems to be a thing of the past.

Quite sad that a 16 yr old lad died of a nut allergy last weekend after getting a pizza from a local takeaway, I can't think of anything they sell having nuts in as it's just pizza and kebabs ?

Had a look and cant find any such legislation, stuff which is made onsite and packaged is going to need the ingredients listing.. it's got far more to do with all food places becoming risk averse imo.. Mrs FL has a food intolerance and places are getting much better an being aware of what is in their dishes..

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Wack said:

it's a new law that's coming in

People don't half spout some shite and use this statement to back it up!  

I bought a set of number plates on Amazon the other day for the Golf - the seller said "they're only supplied with sticky pads because the law is changing to stop you from mounting them using screws" - absolute utter fucking bullshit, but the sticky pads are presumably cheaper.

Aside from the questions around personal responsiblity, risk averseness etc - what the hell is going on these days with bloody allergies?  It seems that every second person now is allergic to something or other.  When I was a kid the concept of somebody dying through eating a tiny bit of peanut was pretty much unheard of.

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Aside from the questions around personal responsiblity, risk averseness etc - what the hell is going on these days with bloody allergies?  It seems that every second person now is allergic to something or other.  When I was a kid the concept of somebody dying through eating a tiny bit of peanut was pretty much unheard of.

They probably just didn't make it sadly...  these things are spotted much earlier now, and preventative measures can be taken I guess?

3 hours ago, Wack said:

Mr Wack. I had been eating Chinese food for years and years with no apparent problems. One day I had some Chinese, after half an hour of finishing my meal my face swelled up and I lost my breath. Hospital ensued and I discovered I was allergic to soya through blood tests. Bodies have a tolerance level which in my case had been exceeded. My dad and brother in law were exactly the same with prawns.

Anaphylaxis is not fun.

The problem is not the allergy but the suing culture that we seem to be developing and the business wants to cover its own arse. AFAIK it's not a legal requirement to ask a customer, however as for some people it is a matter of life of death if they have soya, or peanut, or latex.

Allergies aren't 21st century bollocks, people just died before we knew what they were and how they were caused.

Re "new legislation"; having run a fast food emporium (very poorly, I'll admit) it's often easier to tell your (mentally, at least) 16 year old counter staff that it's the law to do something rather than try and get them to do it by being a good manager. I've not heard of any such legislation, as far as I can tell it's just the foodservice industry collectively losing its shit. SOP for us now is provide all of the information to the customer in the form of a comprehensive allergen information leaflet and leave them to it basically.

A particularly fond memory between a young-ish customer back when I was still in charge;

"Can I have a Hawaiian* without mushrooms on half because my friend is allergic**"

"I'm sorry, it's against our policy to put toppings on a pizza which we have been advised the customer has an allergy to."

"But it's only on half!"

"Sorry, I can't do that."

"So you're discriminating against her because she has an allergy??!!" (i nearly burst out laughing at this)

"If you have any concerns about our policies you can contact [customer service number] but unfortunately they will tell you the same as I just have. I can make two smaller pizzas for the same price though, as an apology for the inconvenience."

"NO! I WANT TO TALK TO THE MANAGER"

(At this point I wanted to walk away and come back, but such childishness gets you complaints)

"I'm the duty manager today and our store manager won't be here for the next two weeks. How can I help?"

I think she walked out at this point and a different customer came in and ordered the same pizza.

Being a jobsworth in situations like that is all that got me through in that store. Well, and towards the end just not giving a flying toss. I walked out of my last shift there (with area manager approval!) when the store manager was over two hours late to take over for the evening shift. I stood outside chain smoking and watching our aforementioned bunch of 16 year olds actually do a pretty good job of running the shop on their own. Alas they all left within a month of my departure but they're all in better jobs now anyway.

* Ham, mushroom and pineapple back then, because apparently that's what it means.

** Mushrooms aren't on our list of allergens but we were getting it drummed into us that any stated allergy must be taken seriously even if it's not on our list.

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Mr Wack. I had been eating Chinese food for years and years with no apparent problems. One day I had some Chinese, after half an hour of finishing my meal my face swelled up and I lost my breath. Hospital ensued and I discovered I was allergic to soya through blood tests. Bodies have a tolerance level which in my case had been exceeded. My dad and brother in law were exactly the same with prawns.

Anaphylaxis is not fun......

Given that soya seems to be a common ingredient of vegan cuisine, I wonder if you might be vegan-intolerant? (In much the same way that a fundamentalist Islamist in Bedfordshire is called "Luton Intolerant")

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Anaphylaxis is not fun.

The problem is not the allergy but the suing culture that we seem to be developing and the business wants to cover its own arse. AFAIK it's not a legal requirement to ask a customer, however as for some people it is a matter of life of death if they have soya, or peanut, or latex.

Allergies aren't 21st century bollocks, people just died before we knew what they were and how they were caused.

I didn't say allergies were 21st century bollocks , I said passing the problem to the business was 21st century bollocks 

I watched dark dark waters last week , a statement at the end of the film said that it's thought 99% of life on the planet including all humans have some C8 in their bodies , the chemical DuPont dumped and contaminated a town via the water supply.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-du-pont-lawsuit-west-virginia-idUSKBN15S18U

intensive farming , chemicals that weren't around 50 years ago in the food chain , processed food , I think it's all connected to allergies and cancers.

43 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Given that soya seems to be a common ingredient of vegan cuisine, I wonder if you might be vegan-intolerant? (In much the same way that a fundamentalist Islamist in Bedfordshire is called "Luton Intolerant")

Far from it. I’ll happily cater for vegans if I know in advance they are coming. When I have had dinner at veggie or vegan friends they give me quorn not soya protein. Some veggie and vegan food is better tasting than meat based food, it’s just not a full-time diet that suits me in particular.