The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Came back to this yesterday in the local Co-Op car park. A MK2 Fabia was parked next to me that was wonky and had a few dents on it. Reckon that the passenger got out and squeezed past while scraping a coat zip or something. Doesn't look malicious as you'd expect it to be more of a straight line. Still very annoying but glad I drove the Laguna there not the A4 or Boxster..
f27c626fc14f199983c7f4e94fc9ed19.jpg
05d01b9c046215c5eb4978a4bab1301d.jpg
f56feaf8307709dd63655b834a012380.jpg

I imagine just as bad damage will happen when it gets parked in the train station car park everyday. Which is the main reason I have kept the car.

8 hours ago, Spurious said:

Is it one of those smart chargers? Like it doesn't want to charge if the battery voltage is too low?

Could try charge it initially in parallel with a 12v source to start it off fool the charger and once it gets going it should be grand... 

Mind you the battery may still be goosed tho. 

I’ll give that a try, but the fact it’s discharged from allegedly full charge to flatter than a witches tit in a week suggests either a goosed battery or a drain... it’s also the wrong sized battery I discovered. Should be an 096 (or an 027 according to ECP), but it’s an 065. Camper one is an 075, which should do for just moving it about. 

4 hours ago, SiC said:

Came back to this yesterday in the local Co-Op car park. A MK2 Fabia was parked next to me that was wonky and had a few dents on it. Reckon that the passenger got out and squeezed past while scraping a coat zip or something. Doesn't look malicious as you'd expect it to be more of a straight line. Still very annoying but glad I drove the Laguna there not the A4 or Boxster..

f56feaf8307709dd63655b834a012380.jpg

I imagine just as bad damage will happen when it gets parked in the train station car park everyday. Which is the main reason I have kept the car.

Just goes to show that some people are absolute cunts.

As for my incident yesterday, informed that road traffic laws apply to the carpark I got hit in. So that technically means the driver failed to stop for an accident. Reported to the police, let's see what they say (if anything).

Do you live in Norfolk? 

Actually, my brother and I are from Norwich.

Not lived down there for years, moved to Lincolnshire when I was about 4.

Lived in a small place called Ovington.

As for the nutty neighbour.

I think it's his house, his girlfriend visits and causes arguments and his mum seems to appear periodically.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Not having good luck with instructors. None of the ones recommended have replied to enquiries, and the one I was meant to have a lesson with has never contacted us to reschedule. At least I'm driving somewhere nearly every day which is good.

16 hours ago, brownnova said:

Double grump... 

I’ve had no heating this week. I’d put it down to being low on oil (although not empty...) Today I had more oil delivered and.... nope boiler still not firing... Is on lockout. The manual tells you how to reset it... so I reset it and.... straight back on to lockout. Try this a few times, but no dice. So looks like the boiler is broken then... 

So to cheer myself up I went to out the air freshener in the Saab ‘vert ahead of putting it my garage to try and do a couple of jobs tomorrow. Battery is too flat to even work the central locking. Arse. Hook it up to my trusty charger and it won’t charge it. Looks like that’s goosed then!!

Charger is currently charging the Campervan battery so it’s not the charger! Will probably just hook that onto the Saab tomorrow to move it about. 

It might be worth bleeding the oil through and then trying again.

23 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

Spotted a car I liked for sale on eBay. Numberplate blanked off. 

Fair enough, I'll send a message asking what it is, for insurance. 

The reply was you don't need to know it. Which is true, but still put me off. 

does the listing contain an ebay car check thingy in it anywhere?

like so where it says reg mark

image.thumb.png.e9174280054a60ef64a4269b9514c856.png

if so then its easy enough to extract the registration mark from it :) 

take this random Micra I pulled up https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283808222945

image.thumb.png.c6276cb561e2f88af253fe2da5093ea6.png

its registration is obscured

but if we look at the link for its ebay vehicle report http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewJumpPageForVehicleHistory&vrm=TFIwM05DRg%3D%3D&vrm_d=**03 ***

notice vrm=TFIwM05DRg in the URL

the "TFIwM05DRg" is the registration in Base64, which is easy enough to decode to LR03NCF :) with a base64 decoder or such https://www.base64decode.org/

8 minutes ago, bramz7 said:

As ever, I am considerably impressed by your internet detective skills but the seller hasn't even put it in the advert listing. Couple that with a short MOT and it's not worth it.

yeah the fact he is cagey to provide a registration also makes me a bit suspect!

and I cant claim full credit for this one!

it was @clayts450 doing it how I found out about it (although being the computer nerd I am, does help with spotting it in other places and understanding how it works :) )  

On 12/7/2019 at 8:28 PM, clayts450 said:

R495ULM (base 64 decode from VRM info from 'Get the vehicle status report' link)

MoT history not too bad, TBF.

vrm3.png.5bc086c9a4f7e9a882ecbcad5ec20f56.png

vrm1.thumb.png.db86e1f0f0424a5802dbd511a66feb9f.png

vrm2.thumb.png.f69086d77bcacd1e7341747b837cf7a4.png

and checking the forums search function when trying to find the above post I can find reference to it as far back to 2015 with @Conrad D. Conelrad doing it :) (and as I mentioned in my response to the post I quoted above, seeing how the web page is right out of 1998, people have probably been doing this for near 20 years now LOL)

On 10/27/2015 at 10:40 PM, Conrad D. Conelrad said:

post-17021-0-28132800-1434917864_thumb.png

Plate covered in every photo.

$_12.JPG

... but of course.

post-17021-0-25082300-1445984813_thumb.jpg

Anyway, despite their enduring popularity*, this might be the last Numberplate Obfuscation Award from me. Calamity James on Pistonheads spoiled it forever by demonstrating how you can extract the numberplate for any car, hidden or not. 

In case you're interested:

• In the Item Specifics box, click the "Get the Vehicle Status Report" link.
  • Copy this bit of the URL: 
    post-17021-0-95738100-1445985379_thumb.jpg
  • Paste it into the a Base64 decoder, like this one: base64decode.org
  • Voila: 
    post-17021-0-33285300-1445985528_thumb.png

1 hour ago, bramz7 said:

Would me too.  Whatever underlies the response it also closes off mot history checking and just sends out a bad vibe to me as well.

1 hour ago, bramz7 said:

I need to know it if I'm going to view the car as I like to know the milage and mot history as it helps me make an informed choice. People who don't give you the info you want don't gett their cars viewed by me.

So my ECU has changed it's mind. I bought a new camshaft sensor before realisin it's easy to test if it works. Both my old one and new one seem to work. Now the computer is telling me it's the crank position sensor, which you need to be and ant or a spider to get to. I've jacked the car up and in the freezing cold stuffed my arms up into the private spaces of the engine and I can touch the sensor but I can' see or get the wires out, god knows how I'm going to get it done, I'm thinking trailer it to the garage. Or go out there in my t shirt in the freezing winds and try...

Oh well, only a bit of warmth to loose I spose.

The metro vendor left the paperwork in the glovebox (I had it transported to me) I got a scrap of the v5 that was filled out when current vendor bought the car; hand filled in and lacking the new keeper bit. I messaged the vendor and didn’t get much back. Where was the current v5? How could I tax it? He’d have a look.

on a hunch I entered the doc ref number of the bit of the old v5 I had and it was recognised. Hence the keeper the vendor bought the car off 6 months back hadn’t informed the dvla. This was probably news to the vendor who was selling a v5 less car essentially and one he was not the registered keeper of; because the last keeper didn’t do his stuff.

I added an extra digit to the main document reference number to allow me to access the ability to tax it at the point of a keeper change; as if I had the v5c/2. Obviously I also put myself down as the new keeper. 

I checked online to see if it was taxed prior to all this- it said it had lapsed at the end of last year (wasn’t down as SORN) 

So what a shit show! Anyway it’s basically all sorted but it amazes me how stuff can go so awry. I’m certain there’s no intent to mislead it was just people not doing stuff and other people not picking up on it. What about the untaxed and unsorned gap? That would fall back on the last but one owner (technically the keeper until yesterday)  WTF

I have just cut my finger picking up bits of broken wine glass, whoever designed the packaging for sticking plasters obviously didn't think what it would be like for someone trying to open it with a bleeding hand. And just had to dash outside to retrieve the extension lead and shut the boot on the Mx5 as it's started pissing down again, like it did yesterday as soon as I try to charge the battery 

46 minutes ago, HMC said:

The metro vendor left the paperwork in the glovebox (I had it transported to me) I got a scrap of the v5 that was filled out when current vendor bought the car; hand filled in and lacking the new keeper bit. I messaged the vendor and didn’t get much back. Where was the current v5? How could I tax it? He’d have a look.

on a hunch I entered the doc ref number of the bit of the old v5 I had and it was recognised. Hence the keeper the vendor bought the car off 6 months back hadn’t informed the dvla. This was probably news to the vendor who was selling a v5 less car essentially and one he was not the registered keeper of; because the last keeper didn’t do his stuff.

I added an extra digit to the main document reference number to allow me to access the ability to tax it at the point of a keeper change; as if I had the v5c/2. Obviously I also put myself down as the new keeper. 

I checked online to see if it was taxed prior to all this- it said it had lapsed at the end of last year (wasn’t down as SORN) 

So what a shit show! Anyway it’s basically all sorted but it amazes me how stuff can go so awry. I’m certain there’s no intent to mislead it was just people not doing stuff and other people not picking up on it. What about the untaxed and unsorned gap? That would fall back on the last but one owner (technically the keeper until yesterday)  WTF

As long as you have a paper (electronic trail) you have no need to worry. Screen shots of the advert, emails with vendor, receipt from transport company. 

As a part two to my numberplate grump the seller messaged me it out of the blue....

Unfortunately Footman James won't cover it. They seem awfully picky with Volvo's, I'd checked two TD ones a touch older and they'd have covered both, but not this one. Good thing I didn't bid I guess. 

6 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

The reply was you don't need to know it. Which is true, but still put me off

I had a similar thing also with a Micra except I asked for checking mot history, "the registration number will be supplied on completion of the purchase" 

Fkin twat, it was still for sale last time I looked ?I might try the method mentioned way above and send it to him just to see what they say