The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Woe is me. My BMW e46 won't start. I've replaced the camshaft position sensor, which my ebay scanner (and symptoms) lead me to believe was the culprit. Found a broken breather pipe. I think I made a goofy schoolboy error though, we still have no start.

Will see if I have made a goofy error (suspect I left the original seal in and then screwed in sensor with new seal...). Fingers crossed. If not I think I will need some prfessional help :(

Waiting for a space in a car park when a Pisshat reverses straight into me. I move off soim not blocking the other cars, and as I get out to look what damage had been caused, the Pisshat driver buggers off.

Luckily someone had taken the registration number and gave it to my brother. Car was full of kids too-how nice of her to set a good example to them in accepting responsibility for her actions.

Deep scratches on my rear quarter which will need a repaint. Still, when my brother gives me the registration later, we are going to bombard all the local neighbourhood Facebook pages to see if this has any effect on her moral conscience.

20200307_113351.jpg

17 hours ago, Burnside said:

Changed the thermostat on my Punto today. Which the job itself went ok. So after bleeding it up and getting the car up to temp etc . I went to give it a test drive round the block just to make sure all was well. Except when I went to pull off the drive, It started blowing white smoke out the exhaust!

So I'm guessing it's either the garages head gasket replacement, which they did last November has failed. Which wouldn't surprise me given there poor workmanship that I've encounted since. Hence me replacing the thermostat today. Or maybe if I'm lucky it's just the cat that gone this time. Either one involves spending more money though, which this Punto has had plenty of already. 

It's been such a royal pita since the day I brought it 6 months ago. That I haven't even managed a 1,000 miles in it yet.

I can't even sell the bastard now like I wanted too unless I lose my arse on it. So fixing it again Tony is looking like the answer.

I have loved Fiat's for most of my 36 years, but this Punto is making me question it right now. I swear I'll never buy a Punto again though. 

Some cars just fight you all the way. Sometimes you just need to get shot for your peace of mind. I have only been there a couple of times, but it’s been a relief when they finally go.

29 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Waiting for a space in a car park when a Pisshat reverses straight into me. I move off soim not blocking the other cars, and as I get out to look what damage had been caused, the Pisshat driver buggers off.

Isn't that a hit-and-run? Last time someone did that to me in front of witnesses Plod went and had a word.

29 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Luckily someone had taken the registration number and gave it to my brother. Car was full of kids too-how nice of her to set a good example to them in accepting responsibility for her actions.

Deep scratches on my rear quarter which will need a repaint. Still, when my brother gives me the registration later, we are going to bombard all the local neighbourhood Facebook pages to see if this has any effect on her moral conscience....

I doubt the Farcebook approach will do anything. If she ad no shame then, she certainly won't have any now. 

However, a police report of failure to stop might just tip the balance. Unless of course your local constabulary are about as much use as rain in a flood.

Deep scratches on my rear quarter which will need a repaint. Still, when my brother gives me the registration later, we are going to bombard all the local neighbourhood Facebook pages to see if this has any effect on her moral conscience.

20200307_113351.thumb.jpg.8da001ae4784fa4bdd0c1f6a82b367ec.jpg

Failure to stop surely? Straight to the cop shop to report it.

20200307_113351.thumb.jpg.8da001ae4784fa4bdd0c1f6a82b367ec.jpg

been to see the black mini today, armed with them kangol seat belts from earlier in the week.

got them fitted.....and guess what? they are no good.

when all fastened in, they will unwind and wind back up, but give them a tug, they just unroll as normal. they do not lock as they should, or indeed do when actually NOT fitted into the car.

so fucking useless things are ready for the bin.

and i've put the new ones i got when the car went back on the road back in. 

we even managed a wee drive, this one is taxed and don't need a test. 

we didn't manage far cos its running like shit, maybe stale fuel. maybe its just a piece of shit.

either way its back in the garage, and today's efforts have achieved nothing.

and here is a bonus picture of the ungrateful little turd, complete with several months dirt from been in the garage.

2043951746_2020-03-0715_45_09.thumb.jpg.5c2f955a2f93de50c5847222e28df171.jpg

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I doubt the Farcebook approach will do anything. If she ad no shame then, she certainly won't have any now. 

However, a police report of failure to stop might just tip the balance. Unless of course your local constabulary are about as much use as rain in a flood.

3 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

Isn't that a hit-and-run? Last time someone did that to me in front of witnesses Plod went and had a word.

3 hours ago, brandersnatch said:

2 hours ago, Sir Snipes said:

I wouldn't bother. Even if you have a reg and cctv I doubt they'd GAF.

I assumed that because it was in a car park then it wasnt a road traffic incident. A message I received following my facebook post said otherwise, so just spent 20 minutes writing out a police report and submitting it on line.

Admittedly it's nothing compared to some of the crashes where the offender pisses off, but shows how the morals of some people now have gone down the gutter.

Oh yea, a grump... I have just been to the Co-op which is unusual for me to go at night but been a bit sick all day (under the duvet with a dog cuddled up for warmth!) and there were no eggs (which I actually went for 'cos I ain't got none) no toilet rolls, no kitchen rolls, no bread, just empty shelves all over the place. I asked one of the chaps in there and he said it was 'Panic buying' they had a load of toilet rolls bought in in error (really expensive shit roll) and even that had all gone!

As I don't like to be left out, I panic bought coffee, biscuits and Jumbones.  Well, one jar of coffee and two different lots of biscuits (one of each) but FOUR packs of Jumbones, can't run out of them or the dogs would eat me!

Double grump... 

I’ve had no heating this week. I’d put it down to being low on oil (although not empty...) Today I had more oil delivered and.... nope boiler still not firing... Is on lockout. The manual tells you how to reset it... so I reset it and.... straight back on to lockout. Try this a few times, but no dice. So looks like the boiler is broken then... 

So to cheer myself up I went to out the air freshener in the Saab ‘vert ahead of putting it my garage to try and do a couple of jobs tomorrow. Battery is too flat to even work the central locking. Arse. Hook it up to my trusty charger and it won’t charge it. Looks like that’s goosed then!!

Charger is currently charging the Campervan battery so it’s not the charger! Will probably just hook that onto the Saab tomorrow to move it about. 

1 hour ago, xtriple said:

Oh yea, a grump... I have just been to the Co-op which is unusual for me to go at night but been a bit sick all day (under the duvet with a dog cuddled up for warmth!) and there were no eggs (which I actually went for 'cos I ain't got none) no toilet rolls, no kitchen rolls, no bread, just empty shelves all over the place. I asked one of the chaps in there and he said it was 'Panic buying' they had a load of toilet rolls bought in in error (really expensive shit roll) and even that had all gone!

As I don't like to be left out, I panic bought coffee, biscuits and Jumbones.  Well, one jar of coffee and two different lots of biscuits (one of each) but FOUR packs of Jumbones, can't run out of them or the dogs would eat me!

I think I may have to go and panic buy stuff soon.  One day next week perhaps.

Not sure what though.  Biscuits, hot cross buns, whatever is left on the shelf probably.

1 hour ago, xtriple said:

Inertia reel seatbelts (in older cases) were sensitive to the angle they were mounted at, try a few degrees either way, should work then.

i did try this - tweaking the bloody thing first one way and then the other with no improvement in its function.

be best i think trying again when the weather is both warmer and not as windy, and when i'm in a better frame of mind!

but at least there has not been any panic buying in ASBO's near us, though we do need some more shopping tomorrow or on monday.

So, I gave my lawn tractor to the mother in law because sister in law moved in with her boyfriend, and instead of me paying $130 a fortnight for the lawn guy to come in and cut the grass, I figured that SiL's BF could at least be marginally useful and he could instead cut the grass. So I went bought me a new machine and they got the old one (serviced and in good running order).

Well, he's cut the grass with it twice. Second time he complained that it was cutting out. So I went down last week and tried it, worked fine except the throttle lever went POINK and broke. So, I ordered a replacement lever that would fit, that came in so I went down this morning to fix things.

New lever has a cable that's a fair bit longer than required so I decided to try and see if I could repair the old handle. It popped apart and the plastic inside had broken. However, it's two sided so I flipped it round and used the not broken side, lubricated it all and reassembled. The legend is upside down, big whoop.

So, SiL's BF has night shift and the little petal needed to sleep off his hangover so I said I would cut the grass because he made a right hash of it last time. 

I managed to do it all, just at the point the blade snagged a big piece of fabric in the undergrowth that'd blown off a truck and before I could hit the blade switch FTANG WHOPWHOPWHOPWHOP SQUEEEEEEEEE

There goes the drive belt then. Ordered a new one (last one went pop on her yard also in December '18 when I had borrowed a trailer, brought the machine down and mowed the yard for her because Lawn Guy was unavailable.

I think all I do is pay for other people in both time and money. Now, my shoulder is killing me, I have a cough and I generally don't have the energy or enthusiasm to do anything of my own.

Phil

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

Double grump... 

I’ve had no heating this week. I’d put it down to being low on oil (although not empty...) Today I had more oil delivered and.... nope boiler still not firing... Is on lockout. The manual tells you how to reset it... so I reset it and.... straight back on to lockout. Try this a few times, but no dice. So looks like the boiler is broken then... 

So to cheer myself up I went to out the air freshener in the Saab ‘vert ahead of putting it my garage to try and do a couple of jobs tomorrow. Battery is too flat to even work the central locking. Arse. Hook it up to my trusty charger and it won’t charge it. Looks like that’s goosed then!!

Charger is currently charging the Campervan battery so it’s not the charger! Will probably just hook that onto the Saab tomorrow to move it about. 

Is it one of those smart chargers? Like it doesn't want to charge if the battery voltage is too low?

Could try charge it initially in parallel with a 12v source to start it off fool the charger and once it gets going it should be grand... 

Mind you the battery may still be goosed tho. 

13 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

when all fastened in, they will unwind and wind back up, but give them a tug, they just unroll as normal. they do not lock as they should, or indeed do when actually NOT fitted into the car.

I thought the kangol seatbelts only lock on sudden de-acceleration? Not like more modern belts that lock on sharp tugs. I know the ones in my MGB work like that and the owners/workshop manual says the same. 

There is also a warning not to remove the cover as there is a strong spring inside. Something I've seen you've found out! :D

Edit: Found this on the Kangol seat belt used in the TR6. Reflects how the Kangol belts work in my MGB GT. 

There appears to be some confusion regarding the correct operation of current inertia type seat belts fitted to our vehicles after January 1972. These belts are vehicle sensitive as operation is concerned, and this simply means that they allow the occupant complete freedom of movement under all normal operating conditions, but in the event of sudden deceleration the belt will lock.

In order to check for correct operation of this system, drive the vehicle at low speed and apply the brakes suddenly and at the same time lean forward on the harness. Under these conditions the belt should lock automatically.”