The grumpy thread

outlaw118

FFS.

20200305_124508.thumb.jpg.1a878a8d5958251f7ce9a2bb898cfe24.jpg

Let's add "making a sandwich" to the ever-increasing list of simple things that Datsuncog is apparently incapable of managing today.

I wouldn't be that bothered, only I've promised to hang a bifold door tonight, and the way things are heading I'm probably on course to lose a leg or burn the house down...

55 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

FFS......Let's add "making a sandwich" to the ever-increasing list of simple things that Datsuncog is apparently incapable of managing today.

I wouldn't be that bothered, only I've promised to hang a bifold door tonight, and the way things are heading I'm probably on course to lose a leg or burn the house down...

Not your day today, no?

I'm sure I've mentioned this before. Years ago our next door neighbour was a retired firefighter who became a health and safety officer. One day he was sporting a large dressing taped to the back of his head. The injury was caused by his metal first aid box hitting the back of his head during an emergency stop in his Austin 1100.

ever since i got the black mini back on the road, i've wanted to put some more period appropriate seatbelts in the car.

the originals that came with the car had a broken anchor thing, and one of the belt mechanisms were fubared - as the big coil spring that winds the belt back in was snapped.

well, the other day, i took the plunge on ebay and bought a pair of Kangol Reflex seat belts and the anchor thing that goes on the floor.

today they arrive.... huray?

and one of the seat belts is broke.  shit.

having unpacked them, i thought i'd best see that they work, that they unwind and do.

one does, and one doesn't. looking at it i see that one of the side covers is loose, and there is a sliver of blue metal sticking out.

hmmmm, ok, that cannot be right.... so, like an idiot, i unscrewed the the cover.......

TWANNNNG..... about 12 feet of coiled up high tensile steel unwinds, just about taking out my eye!

fucking great..... no chance of been able to wind that back up!

looking in the "spares" box it turns out that these belts are not handed, and that i do have a working one that came with the car,

so, i do have a full set of seat belts, and they do work and, even more importantly they clip into the bottom anchors.

i am though still pissed at buying two good second hand ones, at some cost, only to find one doesn't, and did not when the seller listed them, work

bastards lying ebay sellers.......

8 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

FFS.

Let's add "making a sandwich" to the ever-increasing list of simple things that Datsuncog is apparently incapable of managing today.

I genuinely don't get why corned beef still comes in these frigging containers when there are obviously much better solutions out there. 

Am I missing something? Why cant you have the ring pull ones like Spam? 

fucking Virgin media!

DNS servers have clearly shat themselves so have switched to googles DNS severs and I have internets again yay

but also grumpy because Virgins own shat themselves (and are currently still shitting themselves AFAIK)

because it took me about 2 hours to figure out wtf was wrong, even tho I have dealt with this issue before! 

and finally because the virgin media super hub 3 router on top of being a glitchy slow POS, is also dumb as bricks and wont let you change the DNS settings at a Modem/router level so I had to do it for EVERYONES devices manually on a device per device basis

(and during all of this I had everyone on top of me because the internet was down...)

day in the life of the family IT guy!

10 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Why cant you have the ring pull ones like Spam? 

Heh, I suppose I could, if I wanted to pay 20p more for akshual Spam, rather than its Home Bargains equivalent...

But yeah, I get you - keys, tabs and soldered parts do feel positively Victorian, and I can't believe it's cheaper or easier to manufacture them than a ring pull top - especially since the failure rate for the tabs is moderately high, in my experience.

Maybe I ought to write them an utterly deranged and unhinged complaint email along those lines, and if the police come knocking I can blame the bang on the head (as helpfully documented in the Accident Book).

1 hour ago, Datsuncog said:

But yeah, I get you - keys, tabs and soldered parts do feel positively Victorian, and I can't believe it's cheaper or easier to manufacture them than a ring pull top - especially since the failure rate for the tabs is moderately high, in my experience.

Can I take this opportunity to reccomend the SuperKim Nogent can opener

iu.thumb.jpg.9cdfc45f80d2740a00a1bd7989cbc4aa.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E05WQM?tag=duckduckgo-osx-uk-21&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

A superb bit of kit that will take the top & bottom off a can of spam/corned beef in a trice, allowing you to simply push the meat out. It's a fucking winner.

Changed the thermostat on my Punto today. Which the job itself went ok. So after bleeding it up and getting the car up to temp etc . I went to give it a test drive round the block just to make sure all was well. Except when I went to pull off the drive, It started blowing white smoke out the exhaust!

So I'm guessing it's either the garages head gasket replacement, which they did last November has failed. Which wouldn't surprise me given there poor workmanship that I've encounted since. Hence me replacing the thermostat today. Or maybe if I'm lucky it's just the cat that gone this time. Either one involves spending more money though, which this Punto has had plenty of already. 

It's been such a royal pita since the day I brought it 6 months ago. That I haven't even managed a 1,000 miles in it yet.

I can't even sell the bastard now like I wanted too unless I lose my arse on it. So fixing it again Tony is looking like the answer.

I have loved Fiat's for most of my 36 years, but this Punto is making me question it right now. I swear I'll never buy a Punto again though. 

Woe is me. My BMW e46 won't start. I've replaced the camshaft position sensor, which my ebay scanner (and symptoms) lead me to believe was the culprit. Found a broken breather pipe. I think I made a goofy schoolboy error though, we still have no start.

Will see if I have made a goofy error (suspect I left the original seal in and then screwed in sensor with new seal...). Fingers crossed. If not I think I will need some prfessional help :(