The grumpy thread

outlaw118

This flu can fuck off now.

My business is down about 75%, nobody is flying anywhere. So far so bad.

Thats Ok though I’ve got a long weekend away booked for Mrs N’s birthday in a couple of weeks , finally booked and paid for the hotel on Saturday, guess where?  Yes, Venice!
Oh, and Mrs and 2 offspring have got a week in the sun booked for late April, Tenerife of course.

The airlines and hotels won’t entertain any changes or refunds until the Governments involved ban travel.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

:lol:

I think my home PC still has Vista

Not that I use it ever... 

My grump is work. New job within the company starts Monday coming,but I've not spoken to my new boss since I got the job back in November. Yes, November, as my current department needed me to stay until I replaced myself, and to run a few projects.

Being the last minute & bad planning type of department /company we are, my last week consists of the following, on top of my day to day 14 hours work crammed into 9.5 hours:

Run project A - spreadsheets, stock profiling, data extrapolating etc. 

Run project B - Same deal

Run project C, but keep it on the down low as not officially announced yet. This data intertwines with project A,and has the potential to fuck it up royally if I'm not careful. 

Reduce working capital to below budget by restricting purchasing. This means everything now comes through my department, instead of being done at branch level. Cue a stressed out team at the end of their tethers. 

Oh, did I mention my boss is in New York on holiday this week? So I'm office manager too technically. 

And one team member is on Sabbatical until next week. 

My boss's boss is relatively new to the business and isn't really in a position to help. 

Also, my 'replacement' is coming in for the next 3 days for... 'training' Guess who is expected to train her? 

And to cap it off, I keep getting told I'm doing great and that my department will be sorry to see me go, but they aren't exactly trying hard to keep me. The best I got was a half-hearted offer to 'match' my new salary. Yeah, stay in stressful job for same money as new, less stressful job? Erm... 

These next few days will be hell, and to top it off, my anxiety is through the roof, and when I get home and wind down I'm depressed and snappy. Probably as I'm starting to wonder if either department actually wants me at all, and if I'm just being used until I break... 

Phew! That took longer to type than I thought it would. 

Ps. I also found out the some re-profiling data I did yesterday didn't get uploaded properly, so my figures looked crap on the KPI. 

4 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Been 17 for roughly 4 hours and I have my first driving lesson tomorrow... already anxious AF. I'm sure I'll be fine.

Could be worse, my first driving lesson, on my 17th birthday (18th December 1997), was in one of these

36685789563_c5450d8581_b.thumb.jpg.783705be7ed57da25516c4d4d8650a4c.jpg

You'll be fine, don't worry. 

3 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Phwoar, a 2107 with mirrors on both sides and hopefully slightly less vague steering! That being said, it looks really tired at just 10 years old.

3 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Anxious, why? - it's not your test. You should be mucho excite!

I'm sure I will be closer to the occasion! I have a bit of an anxiety problem at times so I'm putting it down to that. I'm only driving home on roads I've travelled for the best part of 9 years so all should be well.

28 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

Could be worse, my first driving lesson, on my 17th birthday (18th December 1997), was in one of these

You'll be fine, don't worry. 

that makes 2 of us! (although I was 19 when it happened)

IMG_20190619_160531.jpg

(I very much want another shot at this/a Lada now I have had comparatively lots more driving experience)

IMG_20190619_164613.jpg

best of luck @Fumbler :) wish I could have started driving when I was 17!

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Thats Ok though I’ve got a long weekend away booked for Mrs N’s birthday in a couple of weeks , finally booked and paid for the hotel on Saturday, guess where?  Yes, Venice!
Oh, and Mrs and 2 offspring have got a week in the sun booked for late April, Tenerife of course.

The airlines and hotels won’t entertain any changes or refunds until the Governments involved ban travel.

In just over three weeks we have booked flights to Nice. From there we have train tickets to Genoa for two nights. The trains we are booked on start and finish in Milan. Looked on the train company website and currently they are still running but a lot could happen in three weeks. 

The Genoa hotel has free cancellation up until the day before, so if the worst comes to the worst we'll just have to spend all four nights in Nice. Nice is nice. It's not a bad place to be stuck but I was looking forward to the train journey, it follows the coast all the way. 

14 minutes ago, Mally said:

I'm on holiday in Spain. That's not the grump.

Was last in this hotel 20 years ago. Everyone but me was very old.

Now, everyone but me is very young.

The real grump would be if one of your fellow guests tested positive for Coronavirus, resulting in an enforced extended stay....

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

I specifically requested the seller to package this fragile item (a vintage Philips SL25 lamp from October 1983) well with lots of bubble wrap, but sadly the seller did not follow these instructions and the inevitable happened :( 

image.png.02b6ebb8e1fa9aafe19a328f9d5e6c18.png

at least getting a refund was quick and painless...

5 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Still sucks though. I won't buy Hoover Turbopowers because they are so fragile they smash even with excellent packaging. 

Yeah, I was looking forward to getting it, intact!

hopefully the Ballast will come in useful for driving my 21W 2D lamps at least...

(the inner sleeve of the box helpfully contains some technical data and tells me the lamp runs at 225Ma, and since these are not Power factor corrected, that will be the current the tube runs at as well, which matches up pretty nicely with a 21W 2D tube, and I have been struggling to get a suitable magnetic ballast for my 21W 2D lamps, so at least I get 1 thing out of it!)

Instructor came and waited while I went elsewhere to wait for him (as per my instrucions), only to text me that he moved on to another client. Despite having my number beforehand he didn't text me to say that he was at the location. Oh well.
I suppose the lucky thing is that I have been driving on private roads and practising hill starts, bay parking and all that jazz since June when I bought the car. That'll help in the long run.

Thanks, by the way, for the motivation you guys gave- it is much appreciated!

39 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Instructor came and waited while I went elsewhere to wait for him (as per my instrucions), only to text me that he moved on to another client. Despite having my number beforehand he didn't text me to say that he was at the location. Oh well.
I suppose the lucky thing is that I have been driving on private roads and practising hill starts, bay parking and all that jazz since June when I bought the car. That'll help in the long run.

sorry to hear it did not go to plan! which driving school or thing are you with if you dont mind me asking? im with BSM if it helps any!

but very cool to hear you have managed to get lots practice on private roads beforehand, thats something I wish I had more of, and still I could do now between lessons etc!

I know I shouldn’t be surprised, but I had a buyer on gumtree supposedly coming tonight to view my  MINI. He even messaged me in the afternoon confirming he was coming. I told him I couldn’t let him test drive it 6-7 as my OH was going out then and I couldn’t leave the kids. He said that was fine and he’d come after that. 

He never turned up, I message him asking if he was still coming, got a reply saying he’d seen another one and bought it. 

Why do people have no manners anymore? If I told someone I was coming to see them and then changed my mind I’d have the decency to at least let them know. 

edit: it was also extra annoying as I’d washed the car on Sunday for the ad pics and washed it again tonight for the viewing as thanks to the road salt it was filthy again. I’d also moved all my stuff out of the boot, which I’ll have to put back now. 

23 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Everyone wears masks in Venice for the biennale anyway.

Personally I'd rather an inconvenienced holiday than putting myself and others at risk travelling to an area with confirmed instances of a deadly virus. 

My grump is with the pub bore knowitall cunts who keep parroting "It's no worse than 'flu," when it's already about six times more fatal, and those who are experts in the field are shitting themselves over it. 

alright now I have fished out the bits I want, 

who wants a shoebox full of broken glass? maybe @jakebullet can up his "confetti" game LOL

image.thumb.png.6a2d7b41cdcee6db8c56b69277b253ea.png

I dont think I have seen one quite so broken before! the only bit of recognisable tubing left was that U bit you see in the background, its quite sad seeing all that remain of the tube otherwise is just its 2 electrodes and stem assemblies...

image.thumb.png.7b2f10bcd13897b1828ad82cf90d4285.png

do have to wonder how much Hermes is to blame, at least it actually got here unlike a Thinkpad @beko1987 sent me (when I saw it was being sent by hermes was actually hoping that maybe this might "clean out the pipe" so to speak and cause my thinkpad to actually show up, but sadly no thinkpad showed up)

(I once had a Philips SL9 sent to me (I think via royal mail) in nothing but its original box wrapped in 1 sheet of brown paper for the address and stamps amazingly despite the lamp cap being squashed and the outer Jar being broken, the inner tube somehow survived!)

1 hour ago, Fumbler said:

If you're up near Gravesend way, I would highly, highly recommend Basil Johnson.  @dozeydustman have both had him as an instructor and he is as good as they can ever get.

9 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

If you're up near Gravesend way, I would highly, highly recommend Basil Johnson.  @dozeydustman have both had him as an instructor and he is as good as they can ever get.

Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately I'm quite far from Gravesend. I do have another person to look into though so we'll see what happens next.

16 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately I'm quite far from Gravesend. I do have another person to look into though so we'll see what happens next.

Best of luck with the lessons.  I think I may have been the worst learner ever - but having a bad lesson only means that you learn a lot.  You might have some idea of clutch control if you're already doing hillstarts at least!

Just now, GrumpiusMaximus said:

You might have some idea of clutch control if you're already doing hillstarts at least!

Indeed I have. The hills I've been practising on were incredibly steep as the property is on a valley slope. Big beautiful Victorian manor house. Shame the care home that was occupying it went pop.