The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

Fuck me, I hope he turns up on time.....

As far as I'm aware Mr Rose and co have never made a thing of keeping prices down at shows that certain bands have on this bill I was looking at :(

Year or so ago I went to see Roger Waters at the Hydro, was just over £100 a ticket after "booking fees"

Few weeks or so later seen the Brian Jonestown Massacre at the Barrowlands do a 3 hour set for £15 ?

The garage I have been using for 11 years can get to fucking fuck.

Booked the Audi about a month in advance for its MOT today, carefully telling the foreman that the car needed front dampers, ball joints and a replacement column stalk assembly, all parts supplied by me.

Got there today and the the whole MOT bay was in pieces.

The garage owner looked confused when I dropped off the Audi for its MOT and said that their new MOT station wouldnt be finished until the end of tue week, after which the DVSA needed to come and sign it off. This timescale was unspecified.

Whats more although the owner saw tye entry in the diary, the stupid foreman hadn't made a note of the work required. As their diary was full for weeks to come for non-MOT work, I was turned away completely. 

My words were something along the lines of 'this has fucked up my day's, before I took the keys and left.

Now the Audi is stuck at my parents, with no MOT after today and I'm not likely to get the time off again for months to take it to another garage to make roadworthy and legal.

I am considering selling it to Cartakeback as it is because together with the fucking stress I am having off my job, I simply cannot be fucked with the hassle.

Worst of all the garage owner didnt even say sorry or appear to give one fuck. Hes just lost my 4 cars worth of custom plis my parent's too. He's obviously doing well not to be bothered about this. 

5 hours ago, LostnotFound said:

Found a one day music festival I really liked the line up of. Clicked tickets, seventy five quid.....

Fucks sake, when did Punk music become so far out of reach. Obviously a rhetorical question, 2002 is the answer.

What festival is this and where?

16 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Just looked for the first time...bloody sodding hell audio books are expensive.  Won't be grabbing a few of those then.

There's some good podcasts on bbc sounds 

The missing cryptoqueen is a good one , investigative documentary but interesting.

And Grandmother FUmbler is back in hospital after dislocating her hip. Now she's in hospital, people have phoned out of concern, but most notably her friends have called and said that her driving is downright dangerous and they fear for their lives. We're not sure what to do now but we're certain she's lied or alterted the truth in some way about her exercise and physio, and this is further proved by the fact this has happened for the second time in a row. Normally, stuff like this doesn't happen at all! Anyway, she's in the hospital, going to be operated on tomorrow, cannot drive again but I'm sure she'll take it upon herself to rectify that...

Some bastard round here is NOT picking up after their dog... shit all over the pavement. It's like a tiptoe through the minefield walking round here!

Also, I saw a tiny part o my car that has had paintwork at some time in the dim and distant past. I do hate it when the sun is low, it shows up diferent faults. To b fair, it is the tiniest bit of sub surface blemish that is visible only if you are an inch away and the sun is in the exact right position, even then, any normal person would never see it as on a scale of faults from 1 - 10 it is about -1. I am such a huge fanny some times. So in this instance, it is me and myself that I am grumpy about!

41 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

And Grandmother FUmbler is back in hospital after dislocating her hip. Now she's in hospital, people have phoned out of concern, but most notably her friends have called and said that her driving is downright dangerous and they fear for their lives. We're not sure what to do now but we're certain she's lied or alterted the truth in some way about her exercise and physio, and this is further proved by the fact this has happened for the second time in a row. Normally, stuff like this doesn't happen at all! Anyway, she's in the hospital, going to be operated on tomorrow, cannot drive again but I'm sure she'll take it upon herself to rectify that...

It’s never nice telling a relative that they’re not safe any more. My (step) grandfather hit the gate post several times in the year(s) before he died, also, it turned out, had burned out the clutch in 2000 miles on his motability bmw 3 series. I was suggesting we say something soon when he died.

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

It’s never nice telling a relative that they’re not safe any more. My (step) grandfather hit the gate post several times in the year(s) before he died, also, it turned out, had burned out the clutch in 2000 miles on his motability bmw 3 series. I was suggesting we say something soon when he died.

I stole my Grandads keys when his driving got bad. Told the family I’d done it and why, expected ear-ache but everyone agreed it was for the best. In his dementia he couldn’t work out where they were or when he’d ‘lost’ them. Died soon after. Not in a car crash, thankfully.

And this is pissing me off a bit; house opposite is a very small bungalow. It’s now inhabited by lots of people. They all have many cars. None interesting, btw. The fucking street is now rammed, including outside my house, so visitors struggle to park and getting off the drive is a faff. I have plenty of driveway space but am tempted to turn into that twat who ‘bagsies’ the space outside his own house.

4 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

We try telling her but she won't listen. Our advice forthwith is to tell her friends (She's the matriarch of the family) not to accept her 'offers'. for transport. Granted, she'll try every tactic in the book to make them feel guilty about it, after all, she likes to manage things. The fact of the matter is that she isn't 60 and self-sufficient anymore. It's sad for me to say this but her driving when my mother is out and negating to do any proper exercise it now beyond a joke. SHe'll have to stop  driving soon, she is incredibly dangerous and people she drives are putting themselves at risk. We'd rather her not die from a car crash. She's burned through 4 clutches and 2 DMFs, pulls out in front of fast moving cars, obstructs junctions and everything. She just will not listen to anything anybody says.

9 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

We try telling her but she won't listen. Our advice forthwith is to tell her friends (She's the matriarch of the family) not to accept her 'offers'. for transport. Granted, she'll try every tactic in the book to make them feel guilty about it, after all, she likes to manage things. The fact of the matter is that she isn't 60 and self-sufficient anymore. It's sad for me to say this but her driving when my mother is out and negating to do any proper exercise it now beyond a joke. SHe'll have to stop  driving soon, she is incredibly dangerous and people she drives are putting themselves at risk. We'd rather her not die from a car crash. She's burned through 4 clutches and 2 DMFs, pulls out in front of fast moving cars, obstructs junctions and everything. She just will not listen to anything anybody says.

I wouldn’t recommend it, purely for family harmony, but you can inform her GP that in your opinion she’s not fit to drive. They will then need to see her and, if necessary inform dvla. Dvla May then request more information. And possibly revoke her licence.

Far better if you have a sit down and explain that friends of hers have been in contact with you and are concerned for her safety and that it would be better for everyone if she stopped driving voluntarily. If she only does short local trips anyway, a taxi will be cheaper than running a car.

People don’t want their independence taken away, if you can convince her that she’s still mobile and independent of help than it may work?

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

I wouldn’t recommend it, purely for family harmony, but you can inform her GP that in your opinion she’s not fit to drive. They will then need to see her and, if necessary inform dvla. Dvla May then request more information. And possibly revoke her licence.

Far better if you have a sit down and explain that friends of hers have been in contact with you and are concerned for her safety and that it would be better for everyone if she stopped driving voluntarily. If she only does short local trips anyway, a taxi will be cheaper than running a car.

The whole family is in agreement she needs to cease driving. My mother (her daughter) had a sit-down yesterday to talk about her driving, triggered by one of her friends saying that her driving is getting really bad. Grandmother replied to mother's advice, saying: "I'll just do another theory test to prove you all wrong!" Which, as my mother then said, is useless as it's a test of the mind and that's fine, it's the time it takes for her to carry out the action. Mind is as good as can be but her body just isn't with it now, especially as she isn't re-strengthening the areas she's had surgery on. We all want her to stop, but she won't. If we take her licence away from her, I'm sure many repercussions will occur. She's like that, you see!

It’s not a good situation. I’d hate to be in your shoes.

My family were hoping the dvla would revoke Allan’s licence at his last medical drug review. They asked for a list of all medication which he provided ( about a page and a half of a4) and prescribed it all fine and he was ok to drive. What we don’t think he told them was that he was starting the day with 25ml of oramorph ( morphine ).

2 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Buy her a driving assessment.   Tell her they are going to let her prove that the family have no need to worry, about her driving but  she might be offered some constructive criticism to allow her to be even safer..

https://www.roadar.org.uk/Drivers/driving-assessments.htm

40 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Check your local library - you can download them for free depending on which authority you're in.

Interesting.  I'll need to have a look at that.  Podcasts etc aren't really that useful for this purpose.  The issues I'm having lately is that my insomnia has been back with a vengeance in the last month or two.  I'm getting to the stage where I'm so tired that I literally can't keep my eyes open...yet at the same time I can't fall asleep.  As such I was hoping to find some audiobooks of things I already know backwards, hoping that would be something I could concentrate on and hopefully doze off.

Got to be better than spending eight hours carefully examining the inside of my eyelids...

I have begun to despair of ever owning an AMG version of my car. I really want a SLK AMG 55 but the prices! Cheapest is about 12 grand and they seem to go up to early 20s which is... a lot! So I have been looking for a AMG32 which is the earlier version of the SLK but with a supercharged V6 3.2 litre engine with lots of horsepower (305 I think but could well be wrong, read so many things about so many cars they all seem to be blurring in my senile old head) and I thought I'd found a sensibly priced '32. Was about £2500 with a few hours of an eBay auction left to run. Then I looked at the pictures...

The bonnet and every other panel seems to be about 30% rust. 'Cock' in the words of the immortal May.

I know large engines and preferably V8s are going to be about as popular as syphillis in the near future, but I intend to go out with many bangs and not to many whimpers...

A few pops, bangs and the odd flame would not go amiss either :) 

38 minutes ago, New POD said:

Buy her a driving assessment.   Tell her they are going to let her prove that the family have no need to worry, about her driving but  she might be offered some constructive criticism to allow her to be even safer..

https://www.roadar.org.uk/Drivers/driving-assessments.htm

We tried with stuff like that that but she's very good at putting on a front and making sure she does well. Think she weedled her way out of doing this one though. Worth another try anyway. She won't stop driving until she's forced to by the DVLA, so in the meantime we're just going to tell her friends to pluck up the courage to refuse her offers for transport and see how that goes down.

Driving to Ramsgate this afternoon and the 'Check Brake Pads' warning comes up on the dash.  Can't do it at home so I'll have to ship it out to my tame garage.  I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try and get them to fit it in - but I had that money eyed up for something else.  Never mind.  It's three years since it was last done.  Got my money's worth but didn't want to spend more money this month...

15 hours ago, xtriple said:

I have begun to despair of ever owning an AMG version of my car. I really want a SLK AMG 55 but the prices! Cheapest is about 12 grand and they seem to go up to early 20s which is... a lot! So I have been looking for a AMG32 which is the earlier version of the SLK but with a supercharged V6 3.2 litre engine with lots of horsepower (305 I think but could well be wrong, read so many things about so many cars they all seem to be blurring in my senile old head) and I thought I'd found a sensibly priced '32. Was about £2500 with a few hours of an eBay auction left to run. Then I looked at the pictures...

The bonnet and every other panel seems to be about 30% rust. 'Cock' in the words of the immortal May.

I know large engines and preferably V8s are going to be about as popular as syphillis in the near future, but I intend to go out with many bangs and not to many whimpers...

A few pops, bangs and the odd flame would not go amiss either :) 

i'd have thought the experience of runoing one of Crewes finest would have been enough to put you off super expensive (when new)  luxo-barges?

15 hours ago, xtriple said:

I have begun to despair of ever owning an AMG version of my car. I really want a SLK AMG 55 but the prices! Cheapest is about 12 grand and they seem to go up to early 20s which is... a lot! .......

....The bonnet and every other panel seems to be about 30% rust. ....

Wasn't that built during the Daimler-Chrysler era? Daimler prices, Chrysler build kwalitee?

20 hours ago, DVee8 said:

What festival is this and where?

Slam Dunk, Hatfield is the day I'd go to buy they also have the same line up the day before in Leeds. NOFX The Vandals [Spunge] etc... would be good to see but it appears I'm too poor these days. I paid less than that for a 3 day festival with camping a few years ago.

Crewes finest? Ha!

No, the 55 was built when they had started galvanising everything and were generally lots  better, the earlier 32 was though and so, rusts like the Titanic. Still want one though. No reasoning with some people!

Mate with a new Nissan truck thing, got squeezed between a scaffolding lorry who was trying to bully his way into the wrong lane so it could turn before a traffic jam, and bus waiting to load passengers. Mates truck has come seriously 2nd. All down the passenger side very deranged.