The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Four years I have been out of work. Three days in the office was enough to make me almost crack! Bad enough being in an open plan office (although I can look out of the window to watch the ships in the Fjord) but the dopey lady* at the desk opposite is on a healthy thing. Bag of carrots. All bloody day it has been like being next to a stable with a donkey that has just ended a 12 month diet! I have been out and bought at great expense a pack of chocolate biscuits to put on the end of my desk tomorrow so I can exhort her to sample them and ensure her diet is going well!

16 minutes ago, Inspector Morose said:

The joys* of formatting a USB stick ready to transfer some files across from my editing computer, only to delete my operating system instead (oh no, I 'aint that stupid as to keep operating system and files on one drive - just quite stupid, it seems).

Today was a wasted day.

Hah!  Every time I format a drive I have a moment when I check my partitions and devices before I hit the button.

To be fair, I managed to completely delete the OS on my laptop a while back.  Or rather, rendered it completely unreadable.  Because I'm a moron.

Also, the brake pad warning light was the sensor wiring being wappy.  Apparently I have about 30% wear on the fronts and 50% on the back.  Which isn't bad given that it's been a few years and I do 20K a year...

And if anyone asks why I didn't just look myself - my driveway isn't level and there isn't anywhere level nearby that would be out of the road.

46 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Four years I have been out of work. Three days in the office was enough to make me almost crack! Bad enough being in an open plan office (although I can look out of the window to watch the ships in the Fjord) but the dopey lady* at the desk opposite is on a healthy thing. Bag of carrots. All bloody day it has been like being next to a stable with a donkey that has just ended a 12 month diet! I have been out and bought at great expense a pack of chocolate biscuits to put on the end of my desk tomorrow so I can exhort her to sample them and ensure her diet is going well!

Whereabouts are you? I'm crew-changing through Stavanger in a few days.

4 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Whereabouts are you? I'm crew-changing through Stavanger in a few days.

I am in Stavanger at the moment but heading home on Friday evening. Back out on Monday for another week in the orrifice. When do you pass through? If you are here in an evening we could go for the worlds most expensive and crap beer....

7 hours ago, Saabnut said:

I am in Stavanger at the moment but heading home on Friday evening. Back out on Monday for another week in the orrifice. When do you pass through? If you are here in an evening we could go for the worlds most expensive and crap beer....

Ah, but the scenery...

On 2/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, Zelandeth said:

Just looked for the first time...bloody sodding hell audio books are expensive.  Won't be grabbing a few of those then.

Can you get the LibriVox app in the UK?

It links to a website where your average Joe reads books that are out of copyright. 
Usually there are two or three versions of popular books to listen to, so if Barry from Dullitch isn’t reading to your style, then Maggie from Margate might! I’ve listened to Anthem, which was brilliant for its time and some great Geeves and Wooster & other Wodehouse (spelling?) books, Just William have been good too.  Some recordings are surprising quality. Walking through the center of Tokyo, listening to Bertie Wooster books, helped make me feel a little less lost!

Also, there are often copies placed on YouTube of some books. A bit naughty, but they tend to stay up for a while as they aren’t policed as quickly as films are. Some are also out of copyright pieces. I’ve enjoyed listening to a number of H G Lovecraft books on there. 
It can be a bit of a faff being in the right place and saving it. 

In the US there is also a thing called Libby. I’m not sure if they do the same thing back home, but it’s an electronic library service that is app based and they link to your library card and let you borrow audiobooks. Sometimes the wait can suck, but if you have enough books in your wishlist, the worst that happens is you get three available all at once. The titles can be a little limited, as Amazon audible seems to be hovering a lot up, but still the classics and big titles are available. 

18 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Unfortunately not; afternoon flights have just been booked by the beancounters.

Of much less import than the above-mentioned cockwomble, you know those annoying wire puzzles you get in crackers or for a birthday present where you have to disentangle 2 or more pieces from each other? Well, I just opened a brand-new bag of 100 jumbo paper-clips, have yet to find an unattached one!

Was bemoaning my lot today at the park (valid for once) and a guy I didn't know, never met before went to a friends house nearby and got me the requisite stuff to remove my grump. Strangers kindness is NOT the grump, that's a cool thing - there are some cool benefits to being a seriously damaged cripple (and this weather is killing me!).

No, the grump is that my poor old Phoebe is getting very incontinent in the poo stakes. I knew she'd want/need to go but she was far too eager to get in the car so I suspected she'd have an accident (how quaint a phrase) and so it proved. A footwell full of poop. Obviously I scooped (no dog owner goes anywhere without several hundred plastic bags in their pockets) but it left a bit of a mess. Sorted with the paper towels and water the kind stranger provided :) 

Complete fuckbag tried to run me over today on a main road at about 40mph. Swerved out of his lane to try hit me. Going to see if there's CCTV of the road tomorrow

Silver 10 plate fiesta. If I see you on the same road again there's gonna be 2 hits. Me hittin' you and you hittin' the floor*

*Needs to be read with a thick Irish accent

2 hours ago, xtriple said:

Was bemoaning my lot today at the park (valid for once) and a guy I didn't know, never met before went to a friends house nearby and got me the requisite stuff to remove my grump. Strangers kindness is NOT the grump, that's a cool thing - there are some cool benefits to being a seriously damaged cripple (and this weather is killing me!).

No, the grump is that my poor old Phoebe is getting very incontinent in the poo stakes. I knew she'd want/need to go but she was far too eager to get in the car so I suspected she'd have an accident (how quaint a phrase) and so it proved. A footwell full of poop. Obviously I scooped (no dog owner goes anywhere without several hundred plastic bags in their pockets) but it left a bit of a mess. Sorted with the paper towels and water the kind stranger provided :) 

First paragraph: it's weed, they got free weed from a stranger. 

Second paragraph: oh. 

On 1/24/2020 at 8:12 PM, HillmanImp said:

Yeah, I'm fuming. They'll be going back. 

I ended up going out of the orifice to calm down as was so pissed off. I rarely smoke now unless I'm pissed so ate 4 Cadbury twirls instead. 

Two weeks have passed since this comment, and I've thought about precious little else.  It has completely consumed me in the darkness of nightfall, in those quiet moments of contemplation on the toilet and - embarassingly - even during coital activity.

How on earth do you manage to eat FOUR Twirls?  I'm an obese man with an insatiable appetite for sugar, but I reckon I'd have bottled it at 3.

You're my new hero.

emY7Xw21.png.413ab153ac0c24dde84ce466fbe84fc2.png

7 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Two weeks have passed since this comment, and I've thought about precious little else.  It has completely consumed me in the darkness of nightfall, in those quiet moments of contemplation on the toilet and - embarassingly - even during coital activity.

How on earth do you manage to eat FOUR Twirls?  I'm an obese man with an insatiable appetite for sugar, but I reckon I'd have bottled it at 3.

You're my new hero.

Presumably through having had hypnotherapy so you imagine below par bars such as twirls are in fact double deckers. Twirls are cloying enough I'd struggle with two but would smash through a multi pack of double deckers with just a cup of tea for company.

10 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

.....How on earth do you manage to eat FOUR Twirls?  I'm an obese man with an insatiable appetite for sugar, but I reckon I'd have bottled it at 3...

Dunno how he does it. When in school, my appetite was for Wispas. Even then I could only do 2½.

Nowadays 'tis only 70%+ cocoa solids for me. Real chocolate, not vegelate.

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Dunno how he does it. When in school, my appetite was for Wispas. Even then I could only do 2½.

Nowadays 'tis only 70%+ cocoa solids for me. Real chocolate, not vegelate.

Funnily enough an incident at work this week where the automation I'd checked and signed off 2 months ago suddenly stopped working for no reason and that resulted in me eating 3 Wispas (2 normal and a Wispa Gold). 

18 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

You're my new hero.

emY7Xw21.png.413ab153ac0c24dde84ce466fbe84fc2.png

I don't want to ruin the illusion but think its only fair to say that the 4 Twirls (and 2 of the Wispas above) were a multipack from Sainsburys, so were probably smaller than individual Twirls by some margin. 

Someone tried to sell me a car today that I recall being on finance. 'No no, it was a personal loan, it's all been cleared'. Gives me the name of the firm, rang them and they aren't owed on it. Happy days. Asked them if they'd ever had an interest in the car though and they hadn't, Hmm. HPi check (between further messages from the vendor telling me nothing was owed on it and the personal loan had been paid off) and it's on finance. Rang the company who confirmed they had an interest in it (but wouldn't say what balance was due, obvs) then messaged the vendor with all the details. Silence. 

Chances are I could have bought it, would have got a receipt with a statement from the sller saying it was clear of finance, and I'd have probably been allowed to keep it. But that fucker didn't know that. Worse of all? I know her. Doing a little digging and it seems she's not a very nice person at all.

On 1/30/2020 at 2:07 PM, Mally said:

Suspicious death in my area.  Small village where you don't expect such events.

Quiet inoffensive bloke, wouldn't, and couldn't, hurt a fly.  Lived on his own with his dog. Well known locally.

Been there years, ! chatted with him now and then. 

Nothing more I can say really.

Update, seems the Coroner has decided natural death. heart attack. Was some furniture knocked about etc, theory is he staggered  around a bit. Can only assume no cash missing.

So not good for him, but I'll sleep easier now.

EDIT

Seems my info was slightly amiss. Seen his sister tonight, who found the body.

He was tidy, place was a mess. He had heart problems, but cause of death was brain hemorrhage iirc.

Sister and police think burglary gone wrong. Coroner says death by natural causes, anything else is pure speculation.

She did say the police have been superb throughout.

Funeral Wednesday.

On 2/4/2020 at 2:36 AM, Zelandeth said:

Just looked for the first time...bloody sodding hell audio books are expensive.  Won't be grabbing a few of those then.

If you sign up with a local library, many have access to RB digital and have a great selection FOC. Need the app on your phone/tablet but works fine. You can sign up with more than one library too.

I'm also rocking Audible at the moment as got a pre-xmas deal, there's more stuff and the podcasts (west cork etc) are worth a listen and can be accessed for free with the 1 month trial/3 months discounted access.

I bought one of those cheapnese endoscopes last year, put it somewhere safe and it's now so safe I can't find it. I may have to resort to the tried and tested method of ordering another to coax it out of hiding.