The grumpy thread

outlaw118

You're not the only one in this boat. We got an offer accepted on a house at the weekend (yay), but our buyer wants to exchange at the end of the month and complete mid February (boo). That gives us 4 weeks from now to get all the Conveyancing, mortgage changed, survey and everything else done. Almost certainly going to end up with friends and family. 

Also annoyingly our fixed rate mortgage deal ends on the 29th Feb. If we complete before then we have a £1800 charge - even though we'll have paid that months mortgage payment. May just have to take it on the chin as we want zero risk of loosing our buyer. Especially as it's our fifth so far on this house.  

Got woken at 4am by the smoke detector battery alarm sounding. Had to wait until it got light to find the neighbours stepladder to get to it ( kitchen ceiling is 12ft!  Then I put some fat balls out for the little birds, but the feeder is overrun with crows. Until the parakeets came anyway!

Now I’m at home waiting for someone to do an asbestos check. 

12998176-23EF-4E84-945D-DA2A65895C23.jpeg

F7DD08F6-B452-499D-9B7D-BAF5E4014A72.jpeg

4E35AE39-C857-406D-BD74-BB8CC0A1106D.jpeg

9CA2C609-C4A9-4AF3-BB7E-0E947F9125FE.jpeg

4F2A35D9-C372-42C5-B0CA-FDBA86B6C8E7.jpeg

DCB79AE3-DEB2-48AE-9B8D-C597EBF60DC4.jpeg

A4B91905-3CAB-41FE-A78C-90226B464B79.jpeg

Autoglass repair, Autoglass replace?

Autoglass avoid, Autoglass misplace...

Booked the afternoon off work on Friday and then spent four hours waiting for their repair tech to come and fix a stone chip on the Forester's windscreen, at the agreed time and location.

Nobody showed. No update. No messages. Insurance excess paid for in advance, naturally.

Despite their slew of 'Rate us!!!' messages and emails regarding the initial booking process and 'customer experience' of their website, they've been curiously silent ever since.

No response from their customer service team yet, bar an automated acknowledgement of receiving my complaint about the no-show.

At what point do I start naming and shaming on soshul meejah?

Up before dawn to be ready for an appointment with the optician and then the bank.

Awkward as son wanted the car for a doctors appointment before mine and then again for work at ten am.

Wondered why my reminder hadn't kicked in.  Wrong day, it's tomorrow.

Son came for car then texted me later to say his appointment cancelled as doctor never showed up.

Re-booked for tomorrow.  One car between two isn't usually a problem, fair to say, but sometimes...

13 hours ago, SiC said:

You're not the only one in this boat. We got an offer accepted on a house at the weekend (yay), but our buyer wants to exchange at the end of the month and complete mid February (boo). That gives us 4 weeks from now to get all the Conveyancing, mortgage changed, survey and everything else done. Almost certainly going to end up with friends and family. 

Also annoyingly our fixed rate mortgage deal ends on the 29th Feb. If we complete before then we have a £1800 charge - even though we'll have paid that months mortgage payment. May just have to take it on the chin as we want zero risk of loosing our buyer. Especially as it's our fifth so far on this house.  

Say yes, absolutely, no problem. Tell.your solicitor. No fucking way. Take your time. Make it 1st March. 

To be fair, there's not s chance in hell that timescale would ever be achievable with any of the solicitors I've ever used. 

2 things are bugging me at the moment. 

1. Remember I got offered a new position within the company I work for back end of November? Well, I still have not been given a date for the change, anything in writing, or indeed the increased salary. And now I'm being dragged into a big transformation project in my current department, even though I'm likely to be moving departments in the next month. And I know it will happen as I have interviewed my replacement, offered her the job and she has taken it. Oh, but we have to find a replacement for her current role! And the merry go round starts again. I'm not making sense am I? Anyone know of an Inventory /Procurement role coming up somewhere? 

2. People who park up on a road with lots of parked cars at night / early morning and leave their lights on. So when you are driving along, or coming around the corner, you stop / pause thinking there is a car coming, then nothing. Only to discover Dick Head sitting in his car chatting on the phone with his engine running and lights ablaze. Fucking have some courtesy eh? Cunts.

48 minutes ago, New POD said:

Say yes, absolutely, no problem. Tell.your solicitor. No fucking way. Take your time. Make it 1st March. 

To be fair, there's not s chance in hell that timescale would ever be achievable with any of the solicitors I've ever used. 

There is absolutely no way we want to risk loosing our buyer either. 

Our solicitor isn't cheap but she is good. She managed to do full conveyancing and exchange+completion (same day) on some of my parents rentals in two weeks before. Just had an email back that she is going to do her best to get everything done on ours in four weeks. All dependant on searches coming back without delay and the other solicitors responding promptly. 

Given our current luck, the house will get destroyed by an asteroid the day before we exchange and we'll have to pull out...

Whereas I have a slightly different house move issue, my mum and stepdad have just done contracts I think, and are waiting for a move in date. It was the 13th of Feb, so me and my stepdad booked the week off work, movers booked etc, then the solicitors were rang yesterday and 'it might be a week later...'

So on paper I have like 4 days annual leave left as I've booked off 2 weeks just to be fucking sure, the movers are fine with it etc but I'd arranged to not have the kids on the wednesday of that week, which if it gets moved about means I need to actually have them x and re-arrange them for y.

Probably small potatoes in the grand scheme of things though

1 hour ago, SiC said:

There is absolutely no way we want to risk loosing our buyer either. 

Our solicitor isn't cheap but she is good. She managed to do full conveyancing and exchange+completion (same day) on some of my parents rentals in two weeks before. Just had an email back that she is going to do her best to get everything done on ours in four weeks. All dependant on searches coming back without delay and the other solicitors responding promptly. 

Given our current luck, the house will get destroyed by an asteroid the day before we exchange and we'll have to pull out...

They won't pull out if you suck them in long enough. Probably.  

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

(((Autoglass rant)))

Stranger and stranger - have just received a notification from my bank that Autoglass have refunded my insurance excess payment from last week.

Still no response from them though about what went wrong with the booking, mind... or what I'm meant to do now with the chipped windscreen...

4 hours ago, New POD said:

Just experienced this with my flat, no chain, has taken nearly 4 months to complete! 

Aren't Autoglass also stupidly hard to get hold of now? Sure when I tried to get a window for a Transit, there wasn't an option to actually ring them, it was a like a sodding job application.

Customer service as a whole these days is mostly either shocking, or non-existent.

so i had to endure three job interviews last week.

one for a telecoms firm, so nothing like the "experience" i have had, cos i have always worked for steelwork fabricators.

and its in fuggin' leeds. i hate leeds, it is 80 odd miles from home, and as such i would consider it too far really to go to work.

the other 2, with consulting engineers, much closer to home.

well, looks like the leeds job is the one i am going to get offered. 

the one that i don't really want, or for that matter i do wonder whether or not i could actually do, and that is the job that i'm getting offered!!

fucking hell........

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Stranger and stranger - have just received a notification from my bank that Autoglass have refunded my insurance excess payment from last week.

Still no response from them though about what went wrong with the booking, mind... or what I'm meant to do now with the chipped windscreen...

You tried one of the Rain-X chip repair kits?  Mrs P’s Min had three chips, eradicated one, reduced another but didn’t do much with the third.  Worth the tenner though...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rain-Windscreen-Repair-Kit-white/dp/B00IPS4APU/ref=asc_df_B00IPS4APU/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310668964056&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8632133313688213514&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044994&hvtargid=pla-332272334571&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

3 minutes ago, Parky said:

Didn't know these existed, going to give it a go. I've a small chip on the Audi, didn't want it getting bigger in the frost.

4 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Aren't Autoglass also stupidly hard to get hold of now? Sure when I tried to get a window for a Transit, there wasn't an option to actually ring them, it was a like a sodding job application.

Customer service as a whole these days is mostly either shocking, or non-existent.

Yeah, according to the website, you can contact Autoglass via:

• Email (which it appears they ignore)
  • Submitting an online complaints form (also simple to ignore)
  • Posting a letter to their HQ in Bedford (what is this, 1870?)
  • Sending them a fax (FFS, you couldn't make it up)

No phone number, not even one of those irritating chatbot things with a perky sounding name.

But they do have a statement which reads If you have a complaint, we will take it seriously, work hard to resolve the problem and do everything possible to make any necessary improvements to our policies, processes and procedures.

So, y'know, that's alright then.

9 minutes ago, Parky said:

Ooh, that might be worth a go... it's really not a large chip at all, about 5mm, but the Yaris had a similar one a few years back which suddenly and alarmingly developed into a huge crack from side to side, necessitating a replacement windscreen... so I'd probably sooner chuck a tenner at a kit than wait for Autoglass to fuck up another appointment. Cheers!

20200112_151616.thumb.jpg.903f72a4576937f409fbe55838b7c543.jpg

When I found this picture of my authority's now disbanded mobile library service, I wanted to share it but wasn't sure where to do so. As this vital service was summarily closed down, and the buses flogged to other authorities, I suppose that grumpy fits the bill best.

1950771268_librarybuses.thumb.jpg.bb26c57e9a4ac0c618115201971f2913.jpg

4 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

Ooh, that might be worth a go... it's really not a large chip at all, about 5mm, but the Yaris had a similar one a few years back which suddenly and alarmingly developed into a huge crack from side to side, necessitating a replacement windscreen... so I'd probably sooner chuck a tenner at a kit than wait for Autoglass to fuck up another appointment. Cheers!

Do you have a chips away near you? They might be a better bet. Can often be found in supermarket or b&q car parks and do insurance work.

Took my orange Vauxhall Viva out for a short trundle yesterday.

Driving along at 55mph on a nice straight stretch of road an Aldi driver came out of nowhere and sat on my arse,

before deciding to blast past too close to me and into the oncoming traffic.

Up ahead was a large horse box,Mr Aldi braked hard as we got into the twisty bits,and we all traveled along at 55mph.

28 minutes ago, Craig the Princess said:

Do you have a chips away near you? They might be a better bet. Can often be found in supermarket or b&q car parks and do insurance work.

Haven't seen any of them about, but will keep a look out... are they a franchise type thing? Possibly not available in NI, but I'll check it out just in case - thanks!

I know Halfords claim to carry out windscreen repairs, but considering the high* level of expertise** demonstrated at my local store, I might give that a swerve...

* read 'low' - I spoke to someone recently about replacement HT leads, and it turned out that not only did they not stock anything like that any more, but the staff member had absolutely no clue what they even were, or what they did.

** I weep because I used to do the staff training for that area many years ago...

Fog light dickheads - if there’s a tiny bit of fog but you can see half a mile up the road and are in bumper to bumper stop start traffic TURN YOUR FUCKING FOG LIGHT OFF

Useless old cunts - we give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts. Not sure why you were shouting and screaming at me because you cut me up but I’ll see you at the other office later when I’m there for a meeting....

2 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Fog light dickheads - if there’s a tiny bit of fog but you can see half a mile up the road and are in bumper to bumper stop start traffic TURN YOUR FUCKING FOG LIGHT OFF

Useless old cunts - we give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts. Not sure why you were shouting and screaming at me because you cut me up but I’ll see you at the other office later when I’m there for a meeting....

Yup, they are just as bad as the twats who drive around with their front fogs on as it makes them more visible/looks cool etc, what they fail to realise is that they are quite dazzling when they reflect off a wet road surface, utter selfish wankers imo, you just know that there is a bellend behind the wheel who is a bit of a 'road captain'

Autoglass - I called them out for a chip on the XJ 8, chap was the shortest bloke I have ever seen & obviously wouldn't be able to reach the bottom centre of the windscreen without I gave him a leg up. He told me it was too big to sort and to wait for it to crack, then claim for a new screen. I paid £6 for a repair kit from ebay, had a go & passed the MOT without comment.