The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, Mally said:

Won a propane bottle 99p,  1/4 full,  3 mile from my house.

Seller messaged me collect this morning.

30 mins later got a text, sorry my brother chucked it in the skip, it's gone!

I've got a propane bottle you can have for free, it's empty mind. It came from a Caravan. 

I was lucky enough to be invited to a private party that not only had a free bar (within reason) but also had SLADE topping the bill...

After a number of great song had been played and danced to, the DJ put some music back on and I retreated to the bar. Only to see the one of the Gods of Brum there; Sir Noddy. 

I’m normally a talkative chap but suddenly went word blind. I’m not sure I could have remembered my own name. For some inane reason, I found myself saying... ‘can I buy you a drink?’ To which he just pointed at the ‘Free bar but tips invited sign’ and grinning.

Feeling like an utter cock, I sulked away and as my mates just pointed and laughed at me. 

9 hours ago, reb said:

Doing the lords work. I think their studio work is fantastic, but all of the live recordings I've heard they sound like I got extremely drunk and tried to form a cover band.

I once saw Primal Scream as support to the Jesus and Mary Chain, and they were as shit then on the Velvet-Underground-shades-and-feedback bandwagon as they were on every other one they rode upon.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I am still fuming with myself for letting that Merc slip through my fingers.  The younger, funner Wuvvum would have just bought it anyway and worried about how to pay the rent later.  I'm getting old and sensible and I don't like it.

It's a bit annoying sometimes being on the receiving end of such messages, but worth a quick email to the seller to say 'let me know if buyer doesn't show up'?

5 hours ago, HH-R said:

Also said SUVs with those bluey- white headlights on unlit country roads. How the fuck are they legal? They might be ok on the autobahn but on twisty, hilly roads the person coming the other way might as well just close their eyes. If there's an Evoque, etc coming round a left hand bend or uphill towards you it's like having a soldering iron shoved in your eyes.

My commute features a series of straights at various gradients joined by long shallow bends, it's an absolute nightmare getting to work in the evening because of all of the badly designed modern headlights. As if dodging potholes wasn't stressful enough, now do it with absolutely piss all visibility because of thousands of lumens being pumped into your eyeholes.

The other option is go the twisty way but that leads to problems with the same tossers before flying along the middle of the road, often necessitating pulling in to let them past even though there's plenty of space to move over so nobody needs to stop.

What I want to know is where are they all coming from? Often the main road is nose to tail as far as the eye can see, not just at rush hour but all afternoon too. Cars as far as the eye can see in both directions, where is everyone going? All single occupant too for the most part. I know that if I wasn't at work I would likely not be driving anywhere let alone in slow traffic. Almost nobody, except students and people in council houses, that works in town can afford to live in town. Obviously this means nobody that lives in town works in town, so they all bugger off while everyone else comes in to actually do all the work. I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing this...

I went to see slayer a year past November at the Newcastle arena or whatever it's called now. I got pissed during lamb of god support act. Three songs into the slayer gig I was falling asleep on my feet and was in danger of falling over, so I went home. That's how to rock and roll.

At 47 I think I might be too old for that shit now.

Read a stat this week that suggested men, confronted with financial worries, family issues, stress, and fear of failure hit their lowest point in their lives aged 47.2 years old.  

That’s nice.  That’ll be me in May.  At least it means things will start getting better from June onwards!

29 minutes ago, Parky said:

Read a stat this week that suggested men, confronted with financial worries, family issues, stress, and fear of failure hit their lowest point in their lives aged 47.2 years old.  

That’s nice.  That’ll be me in May.  At least it means things will start getting better from June onwards!

Oooh I've got 15 year then... 

I am 10 years past that , the upside is the kids leave home and the utility bills drop ....

then your body goes tits up .. 

just waiting to lose a dodgy kidney and its mate ,  Lurker the lump .

on a even better side , her indoors has taken off to Liverpool on the trains ...peace and quiet for 4 hours ..

No !  the trains are off ..planned engineering again , bloody things should be perfect by now  !

so its a replacement bus service ....... 

but the traffic  lights are out on the one and only main road ..  which means later on  ...

the buses will be in the traffic jam that is building as more people wake up and travel out

At the moment driving kills my back thanks to Lurker , and I will be  off on a rescue mission in the car to get her indoors ...

tonight I will have a bad back , headache .... but the Dr said I should be ok as I should not be able to feel anything , which her indoors believes .....

for some strange reason I dont believe him

13 hours ago, Roobarb said:

I was lucky enough to be invited to a private party that not only had a free bar (within reason) but also had SLADE topping the bill...

After a number of great song had been played and danced to, the DJ put some music back on and I retreated to the bar. Only to see the one of the Gods of Brum there; Sir Noddy. 

I’m normally a talkative chap but suddenly went word blind. I’m not sure I could have remembered my own name. For some inane reason, I found myself saying... ‘can I buy you a drink?’ To which he just pointed at the ‘Free bar but tips invited sign’ and grinning.

Feeling like an utter cock, I sulked away and as my mates just pointed and laughed at me. 

Slade, early 70's.

Best concert ever.

3 hours ago, Parky said:

No it doesn’t.

15 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I've got a propane bottle you can have for free, it's empty mind. It came from a Caravan. 

Cheers Tim, it's a bit too far though, Stoke istadium is closed as well so I'll pass.

I have an empty flo gas, 19kg. but my local place only has 13kg and won't swop.

I'm looking out for a calor, 13 or 19, but don't really need one now Summer* is almost here.

The house move saga rumbles on. Against some recommendations here we agreed to move in with the in laws for a week/forever until the house we're buying completes.  We could exchange contracts with our buyer and move out on the 31st of Jan. The inlaws have even offered to pay for storage for us. Unfortunately the buyer is in the army and is being deployed in Cyprus for a few months on the 1st and wants us to move out  so his missus and baby can move innext week or the deal is off. We can't do this because of work commitments etc. 

Seems this guy has been totally let down by his solicitor, who promised him a moving date of November, so he gave up the tenancy of his rental property down south and changed jobs for one closer to Stoke. He even took out insurance on this property in anticipation of moving in. He's basically fucked up due to poor advice from his legal team. 

At a stretch, we can move out on the 27th.. we're waiting for a call back from him to see if it's workable. 

On 1/17/2020 at 3:43 PM, Wack said:

I've booked a driving holiday in France for later in the year , it's going to be 1000 miles or more so as my car hasn't got a spare wheel and I dont fancy the idea of a can of squirty foam being my only puncture repair kit I thought I'll get one

Until I found out ford don't make a spare for it because of the huge brakes and the only company that do want £579 for a kit that includes a jack and a wheel brace.

Fuck 

7 hours ago, Parky said:

I read that too. I hit the big 50 in a few days time. Got to say, the timing of 47 seems about right for me.  

Right now I’m more concerned about my own health and couldn’t give a bollocks about financial worries. They will sort themselves out or they won’t. Familiy issues? I can’t do much to control them other than supporting (at the moment my wife re her sister). Stress? Not so much as I’ve realized you can only do and control so much. Failure? Damn, it’s too late to change that now. Success at work is a way used by management to keep you working hard and after hours. Only for them to give jobs to their ‘clique’. Sod that.

Just working towards retirement now, trying to enjoy myself as much as possible on the way. Just in case I don’t get through the next 20 years. 

In the meantime I’m trying to hone my skills as being a grumpy old man!

Ah, that moment where you see the dreaded words "new and improved formula" on the side of a bottle of a car cleaning product just after you've smeared it all over the car.

Of course what that text means is "No longer behaves anything like you expect it to" and leaves you fighting with it for the next two hours.

The car is still covered in hazy wax smears...will need to start from scratch again tomorrow I think.

On 1/17/2020 at 10:57 AM, gm said:

Sod that, just go on your own - I got fed up of taking unappreciative partners to gigs so started going on my own - had much more fun, drank a load of beer, jumped around down at the front and sang myself hoarse :)

who are you planning to see ? 

We went to see "biscuithead and the biscuit badgers". £5 a ticket, 2 support acts, Brudenell so change from a fiver for 2 drinks, what could possibly go wrong?

She started being a pain in the arse about 2 hours before. Then was complaining about bus frequency for an hour after we arrived. Stony faced thru the supports, and after 30 minutes of eye rolling with the biscuitheads I gave up and left. Tried reasoning with her on the way back that I go and see all the crap she wants to see and don't behave like a spoilt brat. That went down predictably well.

For extra bonus points we are booked to see "fleetwood bac". Who are an excellent rumours era tribute whatever the hell that means. I can't think of a single song. She lets slip she doesn't like them either. So WTF are we going for? Well her neighbour wants to go. Great. Shoot me now.

She's been a PITA all day today as well. It's like she's trying her hardest to drive me away. It's working too, I'm thoroughly miserable. Early night, sod off home first thing in the morning.

11 minutes ago, jakebullet said:

We went to see "biscuithead and the biscuit badgers". £5 a ticket, 2 support acts, Brudenell so change from a fiver for 2 drinks, what could possibly go wrong?

She started being a pain in the arse about 2 hours before. Then was complaining about bus frequency for an hour after we arrived. Stony faced thru the supports, and after 30 minutes of eye rolling with the biscuitheads I gave up and left. Tried reasoning with her on the way back that I go and see all the crap she wants to see and don't behave like a spoilt brat. That went down predictably well.

For extra bonus points we are booked to see "fleetwood bac". Who are an excellent rumours era tribute whatever the hell that means. I can't think of a single song. She lets slip she doesn't like them either. So WTF are we going for? Well her neighbour wants to go. Great. Shoot me now.

She's been a PITA all day today as well. It's like she's trying her hardest to drive me away. It's working too, I'm thoroughly miserable. Early night, sod off home first thing in the morning.

Sounds like ye'd do better just having a pet cat. Similar level of capriciousness, but ye don't have to go out with it.

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

Thanks for trying , the UK GT comes with the performance pack which includes 6 pot brembo brakes , ford say the UK GT was never designed to have a spare wheel so they don't make one , the only one on the market appears to be the automotive authority one at £579 

Not available for vehicles originally equipped with summer tires, Brembo brakes, or 20 inch wheels.

10 hours ago, Parky said:

I agree with the stats, my last year was bloody awful. I’m 48 in May.

47.2? That's next summer for me. 

Just about when the real consequences of B***** become all too apparent. 

Paranoia of losing my job (mainly due to imposter syndrome) is already strong. 

Not looking forward to this one bit....