The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 1/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, Lankytim said:

We're selling our home and are in the middle of a chain. The elderly woman selling the house we're buying has been fucking about for months, taking weeks to respond to solicitors letters, refusing reasonable requests and generally being an awkward pain the the backside and very much doing everything on her terms. The buyers of our house have been patiently waiting but inevitably today their good will has run out and they are insisting we either complete by the end of the month or lose them as buyers.  The lady we're buying from isn't willing to move out and stay with her son for a few weeks until her bungalow is ready to move in to so to avoid losing our buyer and the whole chain collapsing we as a family of 4 are having to move in with the in laws for a while.  This isn't ideal and shes the kind of woman who could decide to stay put or the purchase of the bungalow she wants to move into could fall through, leaving us properly up shit creek. It's all a massive myther we could do without. 

Count yourself lucky. Currently on 5 buyers and, after aborting from our second house purchase over Right of Way issues, on our 3rd attempted purchase. I'm dreading our conveyancing bill. 

2019 seemed a complete washout on the housing market.

Just been to the cinema , something new to add to the yes that's pissing me off list of crinkly wrappers, popcorn, mobile phone screens & talking 

Bastard smart watches, a bald guy kept rubbing the top of his head , only whever he moved his fucking wrist his watch lit up , which he then rubbed all over his noggin for 20 seconds every 5 fucking minutes right under my nose

Lucking the film (star wars) was total shit so I gave up and left , I had no idea who anyone was except carrie fisher and chewbacca who are both dead so it was just running , illuminated sword fights and laser guns 

4 hours ago, xtriple said:

Just watched some utter throbber reverse his BMW into the front of my car. He seemed curiously disinterested at my rejoinder that he was a 'fucking useless cunt' and drove off! Bloody base spec 3 series (maybe a 5, not sure) with the tiniest exhaust pipe I've seen on a car in years. Perhaps his attitude was something to do with exhaust pipe envy (my car has TWO HUGE throbbers! :)   ). Anyway, not done any damage as far as I can see in the pouring rain and the number plate is still in one piece so maybe it's alright.

Get a dashcam. A decent one that is capable of recording front and back and when the ignition is off. I hope I live long enough to have a dashcam 'implant' - it'll be fascinating to see how much more law abiding everyone* becomes once they're being recorded in every interaction with another person. Also, I'm looking forward* to finding out just how unreliably my own memory is...

Talking of cinemas, our 100 year old local, independant 3-screen one closed tonight due to lack of custom after the big chain multi-screen moved from out of town into the town centre, about 500yds away. (Not that I've been to a cinema in about 30 years, but that's not the point...)

18 minutes ago, chodweaver said:

Get a dashcam. A decent one that is capable of recording front and back and when the ignition is off. I hope I live long enough to have a dashcam 'implant' - it'll be fascinating to see how much more law abiding everyone* becomes once they're being recorded in every interaction with another person. Also, I'm looking forward* to finding out just how unreliably my own memory is...

I'm hoping I'll be well dead before we're all grassing each other up to the Gestapo 

I'm going to a gig* tomorrow. I've been excited all week. Made the mistake tonight of saying to the mrs. are you excited? Response: O. Followed by demanding she must have a seat.

Er, you've been there before. It's a flat roof working men's club dive. It's always full of sweaty 50's bald men bouncing around pissed out of their gourds thinking they're still 19 to tribute acts of dead people. Seated it isn't. Worse she's booked 2 more there that I can't even name a song for, but I suppose they will be fine standing 'cos she wants to go to those. Less than impressed when I said fine we'll stay in and watch another fucking dismal amazon prime film as per usual.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, barefoot said:

Similarly, pall bearers. To watch a team of six experienced blokes heft the coffin onto their shoulders and walk effortlessly without using their hands and perfectly in step, is a pleasure to behold. When they stick a short arsed woman amongst them or worse still, let some relatives have a go, it turns rapidly into an unbalanced, top heavy farce.

This

I got a phone call from the brother of a mate I hadn't spoken to in 5 years asking if I'd be a pall bearer , attending his funeral was fine but I really tried to get out of it , I was even more surprised when the church was full as to why they'd asked me.

It was exactly as you've described , 6 guys of varying height , the funeral directors arranged us as close to the same height as possible with the shortest at the front.

This ended up as a 12st body plus the coffin being carried on a downward slope , I was terrified of dropping it or watching it slide off the front like a lifeboat going into the sea so held on to the handle on the side for dear life until the funeral director told me they were only for decoration and I might pull it off as we were walking into the church 

There was a gasp as we put it down front end first, I've never been so relieved in my life we didn't drop him.

It was as bad as an experience as I was expecting it to be.

11 hours ago, jakebullet said:

I'm going to a gig* tomorrow. I've been excited all week. Made the mistake tonight of saying to the mrs. are you excited? Response: O. Followed by demanding she must have a seat.

Er, you've been there before. It's a flat roof working men's club dive. It's always full of sweaty 50's bald men bouncing around pissed out of their gourds thinking they're still 19 to tribute acts of dead people. Seated it isn't. Worse she's booked 2 more there that I can't even name a song for, but I suppose they will be fine standing 'cos she wants to go to those. Less than impressed when I said fine we'll stay in and watch another fucking dismal amazon prime film as per usual.

Sod that, just go on your own - I got fed up of taking unappreciative partners to gigs so started going on my own - had much more fun, drank a load of beer, jumped around down at the front and sang myself hoarse :)

who are you planning to see ? 

I took a mate to a gig last year.  He got so drunk on strong IPAs that he heckled abuse enough to make the band stop, and was then an embarrassment for the rest of the evening.  He was also such a state when I dropped him home that his Mrs didn't talk to me or my Mrs for a month, and apparently the next two days were a right off.

On 1/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, barefoot said:

Similarly, pall bearers. To watch a team of six experienced blokes heft the coffin onto their shoulders and walk effortlessly without using their hands and perfectly in step, is a pleasure to behold. When they stick a short arsed woman amongst them or worse still, let some relatives have a go, it turns rapidly into an unbalanced, top heavy farce.

I've done it a few* times. Don't really enjoy it, but you're not supposed to.

It's a sort of honour to be asked, and if it's someone very close you definately want to. 

It's also cheaper. Why pay for 6 when a couple will suffice.

Never had any mishaps so far. Perhaps they will drop me?

The Beat came to Minneapolis and because their US following is nothing like it was in the UK, you could actually get tickets without having to try to get them within 5 minutes of them being released. 

Took the Mrs and a couple who are good friends of hers. The first four songs were bloody amazing. But invited couple said ‘this isn’t very good’ and wanted to leave. So we left. 

I still regret not saying ‘Well you bugger off down the bar. I’ll see you in a couple of hours’. 

Now I never go with people that either don’t want to get their moneys worth (however painful they might find it), or wouldn’t think me rude telling them okay, I’ll see you later then. 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

I took a mate to a gig last year.  He got so drunk on strong IPAs that he heckled abuse enough to make the band stop, and was then an embarrassment for the rest of the evening.  He was also such a state when I dropped him home that his Mrs didn't talk to me or my Mrs for a month, and apparently the next two days were a right off.

Ha, my mate did exactly the same once. I thought we were going to get lynched. 

I did tell Primal Scream to stop being shit once in-between songs but that was a fair point as they were.

1 hour ago, gm said:

Sod that, just go on your own - I got fed up of taking unappreciative partners to gigs so started going on my own - had much more fun, drank a load of beer, jumped around down at the front and sang myself hoarse :)

Yeah, this is the way forward. Unfortunately Mrs Imp gets into a sulk because I don't want to take her to a gig she wouldn't enjoy as she's fucking mental. She also gets upset if I don't want to go to a gig where some whiney ballad singer is playing that she likes.

It'a all pretty redundant now anyhow. For the last few years I've been complaining about the absolutely shite sound system at Leeds 02. I can barely hear the music it's so distorted. I went to a gig somewhere else where I've been to loads which I know has a perfectly good sound system and was surprised to find it exactly the same. 

It was at that point I realised the sound system wasn't the problem it was my ears......

I've not been to a gig since. I think someone suggested getting some ear plugs but I've not tried yet as haven't enjoyed gigs for so long that I just don't have the desire to go to one anymore.

I will be accompanying the fair wife to view popular beat combo, 'The Slipknots' on Monday night. I can't abide the row that they make, nor indeed the bloke who sings like the honey monster. However I have bought a pair of earplugs (as recommended to me by someone on here) and will be going to watch the spectacle. How crap can a flamethrower lashed to an electric guitar actually be?

9 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

It was at that point I realised the sound system wasn't the problem it was my ears......

I've not been to a gig since. I think someone suggested getting some ear plugs but I've not tried yet as haven't enjoyed gigs for so long that I just don't have the desire to go to one anymore.

Get some earplugs (good ones designed for gigs or listening, not ear defenders or plugs for sleeping in cities), and get yourself to the Brudenell.  Arena gigs are one thing, and a laugh in your teens, but it's not really about listening to music, is it?

^^^Agreed Sir Impage^^^

I don't go to many gigs now, partly becuase of the cost, which I'll mention below, and partly because of my ears. It's self inflicted; I played in bands for years, inevitably standing in front of a drumkit being beaten to death, or next to the PA with some half-wit screaming was going to have an effect. I've got constant tinnitus, and the hearing in my left ear is impaired at the higher ranges....so when Mrs_Outlaw is nagging me in the car, I can barely hear....small mercies and all that....

Cost: Had tickets for Tears For Fears at the O2 in Lahndahn last year. Perched up in the ceiling, in a chair my 8 year old grandson would have struggled to fit into, having just paid £3.50 for a 500ml bottle of pop, the sound was a bit shit - I've never liked the venue - Alison Moyet can no longer hold a tune, and TFF played for just over an hour in their main set, then a two song encore, so all in, about 80 minutes. £50 plus booking fees (robbing twats), and the merchandise stall was a joke too....£30 for a T shirt? GTF.

Saw Devin Townsend at The Roundhouse in Kentish Town mid December along with Mr Inconsistant of this parish. The sound was amazing, the beer/pop was less money and the main man played for nearly two hours. Tickets were £30 IIRC. Much betterer.

I knocked a bloke and his missus's drinks over at a gig a couple of years back, because I was really pissed. I offered to get them more, the woman was really nice about it but her fella was giving it Billy Big Bollocks, probably trying to impress her which clearly wasn't working. Anyhow, got to the bar to buy them replacements, and my mate came over and said the bloke's missus had dragged him out of the place so I didn't have to get the drinks.

I was a knob, but it was an accident and I was mortified hence offering more ale.

I had my drink knocked out of my hand at a Cardiacs gig at The Kentish Town Forum. As I turned to enquire as to whether the assailant to my precious beverage was somehow visually impaired, I realised it was the lead singer from popular beat combo Blur, mockernee wankah Damian Allbran.

He enquired as to whether I'd entertain settling our dispute using the noble art of pugilism, to which I agreed that we may continue our discussion in the car park. Unfortunately two members of his party advised him that committing to such actions would be unwise as "Look at the fucking size of him, he'll fucking kill you, you daft cunt".

A brown note of the Queens currency was thrust into my hand by a member of the waste-of-space-stealing-a-living singer's party, and he was ushered away.

An opportunity missed.

35 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I did tell Primal Scream to stop being shit once in-between songs but that was a fair point as they were.

Doing the lords work. I think their studio work is fantastic, but all of the live recordings I've heard they sound like I got extremely drunk and tried to form a cover band.

1 hour ago, outlaw118 said:

I had my drink knocked out of my hand at a Cardiacs gig at The Kentish Town Forum. As I turned to enquire as to whether the assailant to my precious beverage was somehow visually impaired, I realised it was the lead singer from popular beat combo Blur, mockernee wankah Damian Allbran.

He enquired as to whether I'd entertain settling our dispute using the noble art of pugilism, to which I agreed that we may continue our discussion in the car park. Unfortunately two members of his party advised him that committing to such actions would be unwise as "Look at the fucking size of him, he'll fucking kill you, you daft cunt".

A brown note of the Queens currency was thrust into my hand by a member of the waste-of-space-stealing-a-living singer's party, and he was ushered away.

An opportunity missed.

Good to have you back Bob!

I've booked a driving holiday in France for later in the year , it's going to be 1000 miles or more so as my car hasn't got a spare wheel and I dont fancy the idea of a can of squirty foam being my only puncture repair kit I thought I'll get one

Until I found out ford don't make a spare for it because of the huge brakes and the only company that do want £579 for a kit that includes a jack and a wheel brace.

Fuck 

3 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

It'a all pretty redundant now anyhow. For the last few years I've been complaining about the absolutely shite sound system at Leeds 02. I can barely hear the music it's so distorted. I went to a gig somewhere else where I've been to loads which I know has a perfectly good sound system and was surprised to find it exactly the same. 

I'm like that.

I'm totally deaf in my right ear. Have an hearing aid in my left. Used to be quite reasonable with a loud band.

Recently I get distortion to the point I cant hear any words, or make the tune out. Others say it's fine.

Audiology say it all works as it should, so I just hum along with the fuzz in my head.

Recently saw a Queen cover band in Benidorm, brand new hotel,  Sound was pretty good.

Must have been a good day in my head.

3 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

I knocked a bloke and his missus's drinks over at a gig a couple of years back, because I was really pissed. I offered to get them more, the woman was really nice about it but her fella was giving it Billy Big Bollocks, probably trying to impress her which clearly wasn't working. Anyhow, got to the bar to buy them replacements, and my mate came over and said the bloke's missus had dragged him out of the place so I didn't have to get the drinks.

I was a knob, but it was an accident and I was mortified hence offering more ale.

The polite answer to someone pissed knocking over your drink is to say, no fella, that's okay, do you need me to get you an ambulance? You seem to have been poisoned. 

3 hours ago, outlaw118 said:

^^^Agreed Sir Impage^^^

I don't go to many gigs now, partly becuase of the cost, which I'll mention below, and partly because of my ears. It's self inflicted; I played in bands for years, inevitably standing in front of a drumkit being beaten to death, or next to the PA with some half-wit screaming was going to have an effect. I've got constant tinnitus, and the hearing in my left ear is impaired at the higher ranges....so when Mrs_Outlaw is nagging me in the car, I can barely hear....small mercies and all that....

Cost: Had tickets for Tears For Fears at the O2 in Lahndahn last year. Perched up in the ceiling, in a chair my 8 year old grandson would have struggled to fit into, having just paid £3.50 for a 500ml bottle of pop, the sound was a bit shit - I've never liked the venue - Alison Moyet can no longer hold a tune, and TFF played for just over an hour in their main set, then a two song encore, so all in, about 80 minutes. £50 plus booking fees (robbing twats), and the merchandise stall was a joke too....£30 for a T shirt? GTF.

Saw Devin Townsend at The Roundhouse in Kentish Town mid December along with Mr Inconsistant of this parish. The sound was amazing, the beer/pop was less money and the main man played for nearly two hours. Tickets were £30 IIRC. Much betterer.

A mate of mine is taking his family to that london to see a musical that I've never heard of called Hamilton , 4 tickets £650 which is most unlike him 

I had to google it to see what it was about 

The musical score of the play blends a mix of Broadway, rap, blues, jazz, R&B and hip hop

Throw some country music in and they could use that to torture me, I'd tell them anything they wanted to know after 5 minutes

Seems popular though 

Screenshot_20200117-161313_Samsung Internet.jpg

I have just made an effort to eat properly (not something I do often, or indeed, ever) and cooked a cheese and onion omelette all chopped and whisked by my own fair hand. All I can say is: the dogs enjoyed it! It was bloody awful, even by my standards, Now I remember why I don't cook 'proper' meals very often.

Get out of packet, microwave/George Foreman grill (often both) three minutes tops and Robert is your Aunts lovechild.