The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Traffic Wardens. More specifically the ones in St Annes. Others are doubtless available. 
I am a Private Hire (taxi) driver in St Annes, as some of you may know this seaside area has a huge population of elderly and disabled folk. Last Saturday I had a job picking up a customer in a wheelchair from outside a shop in the centre of town.  Long story short, between  helping the customer into the car and loading the wheelchair into the boot I got a parking ticket for being in a no stopping/loading area slapped on the windscreen. I was stopped there for less than two minutes and never left the car apart from helping the customer. The Warden was properly nasty. I explained the situation but his response was " don't care mate, not my problem"  Surely this is discrimination against the disabled or something. Other drivers have fallen foul of this and received tickets for doing the same. All their appeals have failed so mine will too. A quiet time for the taxi business so the £35 fine represents a great proportion of my profit for the day.  Grump. 
Had a similar arguement with a traffic warden a few years ago over a loading bay and a disabled badge user parking in it.
According to the rules you can not park in them but can park on the double yellow lines just up from them and block the road.

3 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

Traffic Wardens. More specifically the ones in St Annes. Others are doubtless available. 

I am a Private Hire (taxi) driver in St Annes, as some of you may know this seaside area has a huge population of elderly and disabled folk. Last Saturday I had a job picking up a customer in a wheelchair from outside a shop in the centre of town.  Long story short, between  helping the customer into the car and loading the wheelchair into the boot I got a parking ticket for being in a no stopping/loading area slapped on the windscreen. I was stopped there for less than two minutes and never left the car apart from helping the customer. The Warden was properly nasty. I explained the situation but his response was " don't care mate, not my problem"  Surely this is discrimination against the disabled or something. Other drivers have fallen foul of this and received tickets for doing the same. All their appeals have failed so mine will too. A quiet time for the taxi business so the £35 fine represents a great proportion of my profit for the day.  Grump. 

Surely go to court with this & take your fare with you to your appearance. 

4 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

The ones up here absolutely love going after people trying to do their job, though not taxi/PH drivers for whatever reason. Delivery driver parked on a nigh-abandoned side street? TICKET FOR YOU. Lorry Driver parked on double yellows but largely out of the way, MOVE ON, YOU CANT PARK THERE. Taxis triple parked, narrowing the already narrow thoroughfare through the market square, TICKET FO.....  Oh, that's completely fine. They cracked down on people parking on the corner outside the shop for a while, largely enforced by coming in and telling us not to park there and us responding that we don't anyway because we're not fuds.

I mirror sentiments that you have to be a certain kind of person to be able to do the job, and it's not one I'd like to be around quite frankly. Peace and love for all, but not traffic wardens. Sorry, "Parking Attendants".

1 hour ago, MikeR said:

Got to see a dietician on Friday ....to prepare me for the op .... In Feb .... !

Short of sewing up my mouth .   I cant think of any changes to make that will make a differance  in that time frame .

Puts Hypocrisy coat on:

Perhaps cut down on the pot noodles and deep fried sausages? 

Maybe less bacon, less cheese, and more lettuce.  To be fair I've known you 35 years, and I've never seen eat a salad. EVER.

Removes Hypocrisy Cloak.

We're selling our home and are in the middle of a chain. The elderly woman selling the house we're buying has been fucking about for months, taking weeks to respond to solicitors letters, refusing reasonable requests and generally being an awkward pain the the backside and very much doing everything on her terms. The buyers of our house have been patiently waiting but inevitably today their good will has run out and they are insisting we either complete by the end of the month or lose them as buyers.  The lady we're buying from isn't willing to move out and stay with her son for a few weeks until her bungalow is ready to move in to so to avoid losing our buyer and the whole chain collapsing we as a family of 4 are having to move in with the in laws for a while.  This isn't ideal and shes the kind of woman who could decide to stay put or the purchase of the bungalow she wants to move into could fall through, leaving us properly up shit creek. It's all a massive myther we could do without. 

Not to that scale, but the house we're trying to buy has some pretty abysmal estate agents running the show; we were told that it's "uninhabitable", and our comments and offer were mixed up on the way to the vendor.  Looks like they get business from sellers by over egging their valuations by 20%

I heard on the radio today that Sheffield has the highest number of trees to number of population in the WHOLE of Europe. Really? That's not been my experience of Sheffield.

And parking wardens. Many years ago City Of London police employed the wardens. Their job was to keep traffic moving, and I recall that they issued very few tickets. As soon as Wardens are employed outside of the police, their main intent seems to be generating money, and bollocks to keeping the traffic flowing.

51 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

....as soon as I make an offer on a house, someone immediately offers more, they can have it then....

Probably a shill offer connected to the estate agents. 

45 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I heard on the radio today that Sheffield has the highest number of trees to number of population in the WHOLE of Europe. Really? That's not been my experience of Sheffield....

Was it not Sheffield City Council that got into trouble a year or so ago for planning to cut down quite a lot of inner city trees?

Two funerals in two days; no-one close, just a couple of acquaintances, but here's a couple of observations.

Just because someone in your family can string together a series of rhyming couplets, it doesn't make them a poet and although, "She was my favourite Nan & I loved the way she cooked with Spam' may have been factually correct, I'm guessing that words like that don't exactly ease one's shuffle from this mortal coil. Similarly, pall bearers. To watch a team of six experienced blokes heft the coffin onto their shoulders and walk effortlessly without using their hands and perfectly in step, is a pleasure to behold. When they stick a short arsed woman amongst them or worse still, let some relatives have a go, it turns rapidly into an unbalanced, top heavy farce.

1 minute ago, barefoot said:

...., pall bearers. To watch a team of six experienced blokes heft the coffin onto their shoulders and walk effortlessly without using their hands and perfectly in step, is a pleasure to behold. When they stick a short arsed woman amongst them or worse still, let some relatives have a go, it turns rapidly into an unbalanced, top heavy farce.

I seem to remember a sitcom called In Loving Memory...

8 hours ago, Bobthebeard said:

I got a parking ticket for being in a no stopping/loading area slapped on the windscreen.

It's utter madness, as unless blind the attendant would have been able to see what you were doing. I'm sure he was sticking to the letter of his rule-book, but I'd certainly appeal for your own sake and to try and get some balance back into the area - if enough appeals are successful, the council will eventually take notice. The appeals tribunal process seems to be quite supportive when attendants have been blatantly stupid. Otherwise yes, park on double yellows and wheel the pushchair to the car (I know, not ideal, used to be a PH and Hackney driver myself years ago)

5 hours ago, Lankytim said:

We're selling our home and are in the middle of a chain. The elderly woman selling the house we're buying has been fucking about for months, taking weeks to respond to solicitors letters, refusing reasonable requests and generally being an awkward pain the the backside and very much doing everything on her terms. The buyers of our house have been patiently waiting but inevitably today their good will has run out and they are insisting we either complete by the end of the month or lose them as buyers.  The lady we're buying from isn't willing to move out and stay with her son for a few weeks until her bungalow is ready to move in to so to avoid losing our buyer and the whole chain collapsing we as a family of 4 are having to move in with the in laws for a while.  This isn't ideal and shes the kind of woman who could decide to stay put or the purchase of the bungalow she wants to move into could fall through, leaving us properly up shit creek. It's all a massive myther we could do without. 

Don't do it. 

The woman will change her mind. You'll be living with in laws for 12 months. 

Let the chain fail, and tell your vendor you ain't buying. Because she's delayed so long etc. 

Thank you to Mr and Mrs Merrel and Mr and Mrs Parks of Cross Hills near Skipton you fucking twats 

To clarify.

Mr and Mrs Parks, didn't need to move.  We were moving 130 miles for work. 

They had found an old cottage nearby.

We had a buyer.  In Birmingham. They had a buyer around the corner from us. They wanted a bigger house. No real need to move

The Parks, delayed because of some issue on a 300 year old flying fucking freehold. 

Our buyers buyer told them they'd find something else. If they didn't move. 

Our buyer told us they'd pull.out. 

Our seller assured us that the flying free hold would be sorted in 2 weeks or so.

We choose to put our life in storage. 

We moved into my parents spare room with a toddler. 

After 6 weeks we gave Mr and Mrs Parks an ultimatum.   They pulled out.  Too.much stress.

We offered on the identical.house that backed on, after discussing that it needed to.be a quick.sale. Mr and Mrs Merrel agreed they.move in to parents.

8 weeks later they denied that. And when we gave them a 4 week.ultimatum they pulled out.  

In total we were with my parents in Solihul for 6 months whilst I worked in Keighley.

Trust no one. Don't be pushed into rushing.

6 hours ago, paulplom said:

The twat upstairs put her washing machine on. Not really a grump in itself but it hit the spin cycle at 6 fucking 05 AM! She really is a thick, selfish cunt.

Hi, I'm the guy from downstairs. 

I'm not sure you realised this, but your washing machine is really noisy at 6 o'clock in the morning. 

Perhaps you could run it at a different time? Please. 

Now I'm not saying that the direct approach always works, but it's worth a try? 

Sometimes people don't know. But once they do they change. Others do know and deliberately do it. 

3 minutes ago, New POD said:

I'm not sure you realised this, but your washing machine is really noisy at 6 o'clock in the morning. 

Sometimes people don't know. But once they do they change. Others do know and deliberately do it. 

Broom >>>>> Ceiling

9 minutes ago, New POD said:

Piss >>>>> Letterbox

2 minutes ago, paulplom said:

She already knows. She's just being a cunt.

In which case, I'd pretend that she doesn't know and knock on her door anyway.  At midnight. To tell her you are having to turn off her water supply.

Actually just turn it off. Don't tell her. Put it back on at 7 am.

20 hours ago, anonymous user said:

Just fed up with life, as soon as I make an offer on a house, someone immediately offers more, they can have it then. I'm not desperate to move, just fancy downsizing so that I'm forced to get rid of some of my crap.

Offer more. Keep offering more. Then change your mind a week later.  

Its an advert, for the advertising company that owns that site. Nobody knows what it means. They’ve also got signs up that just say “Uptown top ranking” which nobody outside of a handful of sad 70s girl-reggae fans will even recognise, let alone know what the relevance is in respect of the billboard sites. It’s no wonder they have so many empty sites. 

Just watched some utter throbber reverse his BMW into the front of my car. He seemed curiously disinterested at my rejoinder that he was a 'fucking useless cunt' and drove off! Bloody base spec 3 series (maybe a 5, not sure) with the tiniest exhaust pipe I've seen on a car in years. Perhaps his attitude was something to do with exhaust pipe envy (my car has TWO HUGE throbbers! :)   ). Anyway, not done any damage as far as I can see in the pouring rain and the number plate is still in one piece so maybe it's alright.

10 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Just watched some utter throbber reverse his BMW into the front of my car. He seemed curiously disinterested at my rejoinder that he was a 'fucking useless cunt' and drove off! 

That seems to be the attitude of some now: don't engage with / pretend not to see the driver you collided with and you can drive away as if it never happened.