The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Ok... this is going to sound like a massively middle class/over privileged grump but... 

Living in a house with a number of large trees, windy nights like last night really worry you... I dread the thought of one day discovering one of these trees has fallen on the garage! The bloody wind kept me up half the night! 

Tesla bloke pays £4.50 for one-fifth of a full 'tank', so £22.50 for a full charge.

I thought these Model S Teslas did 300 miles to a full charge? If* that's right, it's still the equivalent of over 70mpg as well as having the other tax breaks and, battery replacement aside, lower maintenance costs.

I don't see a problem.

2 hours ago, Garythesnail said:

....I thought these Model S Teslas did 300 miles to a full charge? If* that's right, it's still the equivalent of over 70mpg as well as having the other tax breaks and, battery replacement aside, lower maintenance costs.

I don't see a problem.

300 miles is the maker's own test data.

In the real world, more like 200 to 250 miles, especially as Model S drivers will more likely use all of the frightening performance capabilities. 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Ok... this is going to sound like a massively middle class/over privileged grump but... 

Living in a house with a number of large trees, windy nights like last night really worry you... I dread the thought of one day discovering one of these trees has fallen on the garage! The bloody wind kept me up half the night! 

The boughs can also do a lot of damage.

I suggest getting a tree surgeon in as, when we did, he identified some of the areas of risk and rectified them.

A useful by product is that we still have loads of free firewood.

If you're in a conservation area he can also do the relevant paperwork.

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

We have a small wood behind us and over the last twenty years the dozen or so willows closest to us have come down one by one. The council own the land and we have escaped any serious damage but the fence has been taken out a couple of times. We now have cherry and young willow replacing the lost ones, they are closer to the house so may be more of an issue in thirty years times.  When we moved in one willow was so close it would knock on the roof on a windy day. Thankfully it was on our property and not under a tree protection order so it went in short order. I hate taking trees out but sometimes you have to lose a bit to save a lot.

Christ I've been hungover today. I can't drink properly anymore. To make matters worse Mrs Imps friends and their kids came round. I just hid in the bedroom for 2 hours vowing never to drink again. 

This means I've not done any of the work that I was planning on doing on the cars. :( Hopefully will be able to tomorrow. Need to sort the lock on the 944 and get the Visa checked over ready for its MOT as I feel I need to have it on the road with all the other Visa action going on here at the mo. 

I did like seeing Volksys Jag though, looking quite splendid. 

IMG_20200111_085009.thumb.jpg.ba6421a8257c34e54905eaf09b42249b.jpg

IMG_20200111_085022.thumb.jpg.6efd3ebcbbdbfb898a2401f4e90f29b8.jpg

I also ordered some trainers yesterday from Shuh and they've sent the wrong ones. Bumhats. 

Oh, and I took a jumper back to Reiss that I got for Mrs Imp for Christmas (it wasn't very nice on) and they wouldn't refund it as it was more than 14 days after I bought it, so I had to do an exchange so now have a £120 cardigan that I didn't want or need. The fact it was reduced from £150 is no consolation. 

2 hours ago, HillmanImp said:

Oh, and I took a jumper back to Reiss that I got for Mrs Imp for Christmas (it wasn't very nice on) and they wouldn't refund it as it was more than 14 days after I bought it, so I had to do an exchange so now have a £120 cardigan that I didn't want or need. The fact it was reduced from £150 is no consolation. 

Bought Mrs Roobarb one of those fancy Dyson curling hairdryer tong thins for Christmas. Bought it early as I was worried they would sell out / I would forget. 

Went to use it on Boxing Day and it blew our ring circuit when she went to use it the first time. 

Took it back to the big box electrical store to be told, I only just squeezed in for the 30 day replacement in store. Otherwise I would have had to send it back to Dyson. Can’t bloody win sometimes!

13 minutes ago, Roobarb said:

Bought Mrs Roobarb one of those fancy Dyson curling hairdryer tong thins for Christmas. Bought it early as I was worried they would sell out / I would forget. 

Went to use it on Boxing Day and it blew our ring circuit when she went to use it the first time. 

Took it back to the big box electrical store to be told, I only just squeezed in for the 30 day replacement in store. Otherwise I would have had to send it back to Dyson. Can’t bloody win sometimes!

Bollocks. Check the consumer protection laws. Retailer is responsible if it is not fit for purpose.

2 hours ago, Roobarb said:

Get on fb messenger to dyson, they'll sort it. Their the best team, I did my v11 warranty claim entirely by messenger. 

One thing their well practised in is a warranty claim! Then send the fucked one to @cobblers who can strip it down and tell us how it's fucked itself! 

13 hours ago, Roobarb said:

S others have stated bill-hooks.

Go through the steps on the CAB site.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/

and if you cannot get your money back (ie a replacement) and you have used  CC to purchase read this.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/getting-your-money-back-if-you-paid-by-card-or-paypal/

Never let them take the goods away for repair or investigation of problem. If they do you cannot prove anything afterwards.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

S others have stated bill-hooks.

Go through the steps on the CAB site.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/

and if you cannot get your money back (ie a replacement) and you have used  CC to purchase read this.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/getting-your-money-back-if-you-paid-by-card-or-paypal/

Never let them take the goods away for repair or investigation of problem. If they do you cannot prove anything afterwards.

Not sure how well versed the Citizens' Advice Bureau will be in Minnesota consumer rights legislation... 

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

I can think of at least one more example. Coincidentally, my grump is that I've had an email from work to say that there's an iPhone waiting for me.

Some Apple stuff is crap, but some is genuinely superb and ground breaking. Everything Dyson is shit with fail points built in to ensure people need to buy a new one after a few years (at best) and some people are daft enough to repeat the mistake.