The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, timolloyd said:

Feel your pain. Generally I think those places are too aggressive for anything but the most sturdy of new-ish cars and paint.

The one I normally (and by normally I mean "when needs must and I've no option to do it myself") use is really good about making allowances for older cars and following any instructions.

Just feel really bad.  Car has been in daily use for the last couple of weeks so was just a bit grubby and I just wanted it to be at its best when handed over...now it looks far worse than if I'd just left it be.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Bloody fuming with our nearest hand car wash.

Now I made absolutely clear, in words of one syllable to them before going in DO NOT USE SODDING TFR/CHEMICAL SPRAYS ETC!  Reason being that it's so aggressive that it just strips all the life out of the paint on any car without clear coat, leaving it totally matt and looking like it has been left sitting in a field for about five years.

IMG_20200107_162900.thumb.jpg.286fc04a6c420dee19ba606d1f902a3d.jpg

Not much you can do without at least lightly cutting it back...took me a full day to sort it last time. 

Same happened to me on my White 825 Sterling:

IMG-20180414-WA0031.thumb.jpg.7f644d6b758c7fcf5c20ec3905644d15.jpg

I took it to a car wash where they used TFR and you could see the blobs of bleached out paint where they sprayed it. I ended up T-cutting the car and it got it off leaving the car better than before. I was careful from then on where I took my car.

where my mam and dad live there has been a new housing estate built on what were open fields.

over the last few weeks their cat Harley has caught and killed 8 or 9 mice that have been displaced by the new, shitty little boxes houses. and brought them back home, cos, well he's good like that......

and we still have that fucking dirty rat under our shed.

it seems that the cheesy cracker thing we have been baiting the trap with is not to a dirty rats liking, so now we are going to try chocolate instead.

we would try peanut butter, but we don't have any at the moment. :-(

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Bloody fuming with our nearest hand car wash.

I usually use one on the other side of town but just discovered that they're closed Tuesdays.  So to the one virtually next door we go.

Now I made absolutely clear, in words of one syllable to them before going in DO NOT USE SODDING TFR/CHEMICAL SPRAYS ETC!  Reason being that it's so aggressive that it just strips all the life out of the paint on any car without clear coat, leaving it totally matt and looking like it has been left sitting in a field for about five years.  They've done this twice before, and last time it took me a full day's work to rectify.

They only went and totally bloody ignored me.

Cue frantic hand polishing by their entire team (who thanks to this had now totally backed themselves up at the busiest time of their day and had irate taxi drivers getting tired of waiting) to try to restore some vague semblance of shine to my car.

Despite spending more than half an hour on it, they weren't really very successful.

IMG_20200107_162900.thumb.jpg.286fc04a6c420dee19ba606d1f902a3d.jpg

Not much you can do without at least lightly cutting it back...took me a full day to sort it last time.

Sodding embarrassing as I'm handing the car over to a new owner tomorrow so just wanted to get it given a quick wash outside and a Hoover etc inside.  I spent a couple of afternoons polishing and waxing it to within an inch of its life a few weeks ago so it was bloody gleaming before this...yet I've now got to hand it over looking like absolute crap.  Annoyed.

Will not be using them again, ever, and will be leaving an appropriate review on Google I think.

Is that the pre-wash stuff they lob on?

Talking of these places, and a slightly different grump, but shouldn’t ‘hand car wash’ mean exactly that and not ‘someone with a jet washer’ let alone ‘someone with a jet washer 1.5 inches from your paintwork’?

59 minutes ago, face said:

Is that the pre-wash stuff they lob on?

Yep.

It's fine enough on modern paints so long as it's shifted *immediately* but on old school paintwork without clear coat it makes a godawful mess that you have to cut back to sort it out.

I wouldn't mind quite so much if I hadn't spent so much time polishing and waxing it a couple of weeks ago...oh, and if I wasn't handing the keys over to a new owner tomorrow.

Doesn't work. I've tried a lot of different stuff (bearing in mind the criteria I need a car to fulfil) and it's silly money across the board.

With a couple of notable exceptions: brand new stuff that is a good £10k+ above my budget, or a Fiesta ST, which is such a hateful vehicle I'd not be seen dead in one.

Yeah, looks like it. I really need to change my car in the next couple of months while I'm (sort of) in a lucky financial position where I can (sort of) afford the initial outlay. Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck with the bastard thing for 5 years while I do an apprenticeship. 

7 hours ago, SierraMikeHotel said:

Total pain in the arse, I've been caught out like that. I always request a receipt now, I'm pretty sure they'll accept that.

This happens so often on Northern I either photograph the ticket while I'm still on the train, or ask to be let through the barrier because I need the ticket for my latest claim. Roll on the day those shithouses lose the franchise.

9 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

we would try peanut butter, but we don't have any at the moment. :-(

The ultrasonic rat & mice repeller I put in our loft to deter squirrels is doing a fine job. If you can get 240v to your shed it might be worth trying one of those for a while? Peanut butter is, obs, a bit cheaper if you don't have one.

16 hours ago, Mally said:

Feld mice or not, I reckon they are living in your house.

It's cold outside.

Yes they’re under the floorboards... they getting in through an air brick and living under there.

So far they’d been well contained to the front room. New entrance was identified and blocked last night. It looks messy but it’ll do the job. Trap didn’t go off last night. Result.

Until I saw one of the little fuckers running across the hall... 

I went upstairs with the cups of tea I was carrying and heard a call “Mum... there’s a mouse in my room!!!” One look from Mrs_b told me this was a step dad job!! Little man’s room is down stairs and it looks as if they’re now getting in there. If you’ve ever been in an 11 year olds you’ll know that finding anything (let alone a mouse) is impossible.

The snappy traps are now on order. Amazon will deliver them tomorrow. Then it’ll be the Flintshire Mousetrap massacre... I might even make a mask out of their tiny faces. 

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

The ultrasonic rat & mice repeller I put in our loft to deter squirrels is doing a fine job. If you can get 240v to your shed it might be worth trying one of those for a while? Peanut butter is, obs, a bit cheaper if you don't have one.

Thinking of trying them too... 

10 hours ago, Crackers said:

Yeah, looks like it. I really need to change my car in the next couple of months while I'm (sort of) in a lucky financial position where I can (sort of) afford the initial outlay. Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck with the bastard thing for 5 years while I do an apprenticeship. 

WHat don't you like about the Mk1? I found it quite a good steer once it got up to speed around country roads. If it's the 1.6 as well the engines are quite reliable too. Its a shame rot gets to a lot of them

Slept all day yesterday ( I did manage to feed the dogs) and fealt like shit. Up and about today and... I still feel like shit.

Also Amazon. Ordered Phoebe's pills from them and got notice they were delivered. Er, no. Went on their website to try and query this and it is nearly bloody impossible to find. Ended up googling it and going thru from there. Bloody ridiculous, almost as if they don't want you to complain or query anything... oh, wait.

We were examined, x-rayed and sent home. All in an hour. Very pleased with the service. He  has tissue damage to his right elbow but other than that fine. He's in bed now sleeping it off. The bike needs a new front wheel. He does 10 miles a day on it and this was only it's 3rd trip. The lady that hit him was in tears and the police were excellent. It could have been a lot worse.

3 minutes ago, paulplom said:

We were examined, x-rayed and sent home. All in an hour. Very pleased with the service. He  has tissue damage to his right elbow but other than that fine. He's in bed now sleeping it off. The bike needs a new front wheel. He does 10 miles a day on it and this was only it's 3rd trip. The lady that hit him was in tears and the police were excellent. It could have been a lot worse.

Always had a good experience (well as good as a hospital visit can be) at Rake Lane.