The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 1/3/2020 at 10:33 AM, myglaren said:

Autotrader have 'improved' their site to the point of unusablility.

I tried to look for a Seat Cordoba estate and couldn't get a response from it - not just the Cordoba, any estate or in fact anything at all.

Didn't get any panic'd calls from my brother yesterday.  He's one of their developers...

Today is sunny.

I have a floppy top car with all its sparkplugs in the right place that needs a road test.

Roof folds down fine, starts first
time idles nicely, no longer sounds like an  MGB and off we go, warm up four a couple of miles, pull over and listen, sounds good so wind it right up and brap away at the limiter.

All is good but it feels down on power so I head home and think who is having a bloody bonfire on a sunny day like today......

Only it isn't a bonfire.

Sitting around for a couple of weeks has encouraged the spiteful little bastard to seize a front caliper which is smoking nicely.

If I didn't have to walk all the way down the garden to fetch a branch there would be a Cleese reenactment in progress.

EDIT:

Pulled the caliper in question apart once the smoke had cleared and found no obvious fault, the piston extends and retracts easily but this has fairly new pads which are still bedding in and no actual service history (Auction purchase).

Cleaned and lubed, if it recurs tomorrow it gets a pair of new ones, the current ones appear to be original 1998 units. so

For fuck's sake. 

15781558973948817637684201287769.thumb.jpg.503cccedcb9e3e863d5d452280232c7e.jpg

That's at least a £350 bill, but likely more because iron oxide. The car's only worth £2.50 anyway so I might as well bin it, but I've got to get the work done otherwise I'm without a car. 

Precisely the last fucking thing I needed just as the car I was going to buy this got bought from under me at the last second. 

I had an eye test only 6 months ago but i am sure i need another. I have just been reading an italian car mag and it has listed the new land rover defender 110 at € 101,000 !#₩¥!. One hundred and one thousand euros !

Is someone having a laugh or are my eyes really that bad.

Looks like i will be keeping my 1986 suzuki sj for some time yet.

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

For fuck's sake. 

15781558973948817637684201287769.thumb.jpg.503cccedcb9e3e863d5d452280232c7e.jpg

That's at least a £350 bill, but likely more because iron oxide. The car's only worth £2.50 anyway so I might as well bin it, but I've got to get the work done otherwise I'm without a car. 

Precisely the last fucking thing I needed just as the car I was going to buy this got bought from under me at the last second. 

£350? why? springs are 30 quid each plus an hours labour, a new horn is a tenner at most, a couple of part worns at 20 quid each and you should see change from £150.

5 hours ago, paulplom said:

The kids' cunt of an excuse of a mother has taken to selling their stuff on faceache. That'a a tablet I bought my 7yr old daughter last year for Christmas. Still got the pink case on it.
I honestly thought she couldn't get any lower.3261e9f19caf79c3dfc6e94ad16e5c08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Buy it back? 

I am watching: Yes Man

On the telly.

I was going to post some information about what is shit in my life, but I've decided to spend the next year looking for the good in every situation. 

I'm trying to see the positive about dropping my best extension lead into the basement sump. 

On a positive note it wasn't plugged in, so it's just a case of letting it dry out for a week on the radiator. 

Right?

1 minute ago, New POD said:

I'm trying to see the positive about dropping my best extension lead into the basement sump. 

On a positive note it wasn't plugged in, so it's just a case of letting it dry out for a week on the radiator. 

Right?

I drowned one in coolant the other day, it’ll dry out. 

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Fucking say what, did you go to Kw*k-F*t or something? No way is that £350. 

Depends on the car. If it was a Astra mk5/Vectra C then the horn failed could be the CIM needing replacing. Or if it was a Passat B5.5 the springs changing could be £250 because it's a pile of fucks to do. 

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Depends on the car. If it was a Astra mk5/Vectra C then the horn failed could be the CIM needing replacing. Or if it was a Passat B5.5 the springs changing could be £250 because it's a pile of fucks to do. 

That's crazy, luckily with the former two they never go wrong!

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

Its a Focus, its there in black and white on the fail sheet :D

Spent the day cleaning the house because it'd got a bit grim, promised myself a relaxing bath at the end of it all.

Can I get hot water to spew forth from the hot tap on the bath? Can I fuck. Kitchen tap working as usual as far as I can tell. Got lukewarm for 30s after about a minute running the bath tap then back to cold. The electric water heater is witchcraft to me, so I've pressed all of the buttons and turned all of the knobs that suggest maybe getting hot water. Bastard thing.

A few days back, my mum had a new phone for Christmas and I had her old one. I have used £20 worth of credit with EE in the last 18months as I am a Luddite and hate calling people. My 12 year old niece set it up for me. I am officially old.

FA049596-FADF-4B95-972B-AB017CC95532.jpeg

Did 607 miles towing yesterday, delivering one of my collection which will be a seperate thread soon. Got back knackered after being away for 4 days, scanned the emails this morning, a couple of urgent ones. A friend arrives, we drink tea and shoot the shit for a couple of hours, he leaves. My broadband is now not working. Rebooted the computer - nowt. Rebooted the router - still nowt. Checked landline - essential for me as no phone signal - still nowt. Decide to go out and return the trailer, notice my farmer neighbour has been scraping the mud off my track. Meet him and "have you a phone" he asks. Aaah, BT had laid the cable on the surface next to the track. Scraping said track had found the cable. Guess which is stronger, phone cable or 4 wheel drive 5 tonne tractor with scraper?

Bollocks. Have reported the "fault" to BT, they say they aim to fix in 4 working days. So that means no phone or internet til then. Had a brainwave. Set up my dongle I use for France in the loft. Partial success, signal comes and goes but I occasionally get the net for a few minutes. This post has taken over an hour FFS

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Fucking say what, did you go to Kw*k-F*t or something? No way is that £350. 

My local garage. I'm waiting on quotes from others as I thought it was a bit rich too. Maybe they're taking advantage of my age, thinking this 18 year old won't know owt about cars.

We'll see what happens. 

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Unless they have the special tools that will compress / replace the springs in situ then any mk1 rear spring job will be arms / bolts / grinding too 

Yes I think is why it's so pricey. They did say it's a bitch of a job on Focuses because the bushes seize (oo err) which means new arms/bushes/etc on top of just the springs, plus the associated labour costs. 

12 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Did 607 miles towing yesterday, delivering one of my collection which will be a seperate thread soon. Got back knackered after being away for 4 days, scanned the emails this morning, a couple of urgent ones. A friend arrives, we drink tea and shoot the shit for a couple of hours, he leaves. My broadband is now not working. Rebooted the computer - nowt. Rebooted the router - still nowt. Checked landline - essential for me as no phone signal - still nowt. Decide to go out and return the trailer, notice my farmer neighbour has been scraping the mud off my track. Meet him and "have you a phone" he asks. Aaah, BT had laid the cable on the surface next to the track. Scraping said track had found the cable. Guess which is stronger, phone cable or 4 wheel drive 5 tonne tractor with scraper?

Bollocks. Have reported the "fault" to BT, they say they aim to fix in 4 working days. So that means no phone or internet til then. Had a brainwave. Set up my dongle I use for France in the loft. Partial success, signal comes and goes but I occasionally get the net for a few minutes. This post has taken over an hour FFS

Last time I had a issue with BT and broadband it took over a month and they only managed to cancel the thing after completely failing to fix it and a load of moaning on social media. It was a huge nightmare after years of zero problems, despite moving house in that time.