The grumpy thread

outlaw118

You want a rant? Here's a fucking rant.

I gave my old company BMW back in June. At the start of November I got an email from Dartford Crossing telling me I had to bring my Pay as you Go account back to order as it was -£5. Yes, that's right, I forgot to take the BMW off the account and someone had used it over the bridge.

I emailed back to say sorry, I got rid, I can provide evidence.

They emailed back to say doesn't matter, the terms say you're liable.

Me: OK, I accept that and I'm sorry. Out of interest has the driver of the BMW paid?

Them: we can't tell you that. GDPR innit. It's your responsibility to keep your account updated.

Me: Because obviously if they've paid, your business isn't out of pocket.

Them: if you let us know the last four digits of the card number they used, we can transfer the payment to your account 

Me: erm, it's not my car. I don't know who is driving it let alone their card number. But thanks for confirming that a payment was made.

Them: you owe us five quid mate

Me: so a payment was made, you're not out of pocket, can't we just forget all this?

Them: five. Quid.

Me: what happens if I don't pay?

Them: we will contact the owner of the vehicle

Me: you've just said a payment was made. Oh, and by the way, where do you stand on the GDPR aspect of telling me the dates and times a car I don't own crossed the Thames?

Then: it's your responsibility blah blah blah

Me: when you say the owner of the vehicle, is it then or now?

Them: it's your responsibility waaaaaah waaaaaah

Me: Will. Anything. Happen. To. Me?

Them: we'll keep asking for the five quid.

Me: BYEEEE

TL;DR, I messed up and forgot to take my old car off an account. It crossed the bridge, a charge was made and paid for by the new owner, but still my account is in arrears so they can make an additional five pounds. Robbing twatsticks.

Oh, and each email takes four or five days so this has dragged out for nearly two months.

Christmas is over. Wife has made herself ill by living on adrenalin for 2 weeks. (Because ME - Chronic fatigue) and is now very exhausted. 

Long story short, I didnt catch it in time, i was a little passive, and everytime i.tried to say s omething to make it better. It made it worse. Much worse.  Finally Resulting in her screaming at me for not looking after her when she's ill.  Last words out of her mouth before storming upstairs included the suggestion that I should leave.  I have somewhere to go. I am sober. I could. 

But I  have resolved to not run away.  Some of this is my fault. Problem is I have no.idea how to put it right. 

'See you home' lights. 

First of all, how many people actually have a big enough drive so that they can park the car approximately pointing at the front door, so that the lights do indeed 'see you home'? 

Secondly, and more importantly, you stop in a country lane in a car thusly equipped. You get out. Your headlights, which remain on for your convenience, render you totally and utterly invisible; they're retina-burningly bright, and you're standing in the pitch black area they create around themselves. 

2 minutes ago, robinmasters said:

'See you home' lights. 

First of all, how many people actually have a big enough drive so that they can park the car approximately pointing at the front door, so that the lights do indeed 'see you home'? 

Secondly, and more importantly, you stop in a country lane in a car thusly equipped. You get out. Your headlights, which remain on for your convenience, render you totally and utterly invisible; they're retina-burningly bright, and you're standing in the pitch black area they create around themselves. 

However the lights on when you unlock is really useful when trying to find the car in a car park. 

The Dartford Crossing people are idiots. They tried to fine me for the purple Volvo crossing and no payment. I told them I had sold it. It seems that they took a picture of it whilst it was being towed on a trailer. Fucking idiots.

Religion/God.... I have no issues with religion, people can believe in what they wish. However, I do appreciate this, from Mr Robot:

“Is that what God does? He helps? Tell me, why didn't God help my innocent friend who died for no reason while the guilty ran free? Okay. Fine. Forget the one offs. How about the countless wars declared in his name? Okay. Fine. Let's skip the random, meaningless murder for a second, shall we? How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion. Exclusive groups created to manage control. A dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope. His followers, nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their dopamine of ignorance. Addicts. Afraid to believe the truth. That there's no order. There's no power. That all religions are just metastasizing mind worms, meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that wanna run us. All we are to them are paying fanboys of their poorly-written sci-fi franchise. If I don't listen to my imaginary friend, why the fuck should I listen to yours? People think their worship's some key to happiness. That's just how he owns you. Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality. So fuck God. He's not a good enough scapegoat for me.”

2 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

EFA

True.

I am now in the attic room whilst she is in our bedroom.  Probably lying awake churning inside, making herself more ill and more sad. 

I just wish I could a) stop it happening in the first place..and b) fix it by waving a magic wand 

Or c) know what to do next. 

16 minutes ago, robinmasters said:

Yes, I turn them off before any sort of dogging activities.

4 minutes ago, purplebargeken said:

Religion/God.... I have no issues with religion, people can believe in what they wish. However, I do appreciate this, from Mr Robot:

“Is that what God does? He helps? Tell me, why didn't God help my innocent friend who died for no reason while the guilty ran free? Okay. Fine. Forget the one offs. How about the countless wars declared in his name? Okay. Fine. Let's skip the random, meaningless murder for a second, shall we? How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion. Exclusive groups created to manage control. A dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope. His followers, nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their dopamine of ignorance. Addicts. Afraid to believe the truth. That there's no order. There's no power. That all religions are just metastasizing mind worms, meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that wanna run us. All we are to them are paying fanboys of their poorly-written sci-fi franchise. If I don't listen to my imaginary friend, why the fuck should I listen to yours? People think their worship's some key to happiness. That's just how he owns you. Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality. So fuck God. He's not a good enough scapegoat for me.”

Have you listened to Frank Turner recently?

THERE IS NO GOD.

Brothers and sisters, have you heard the news?
The storm has lifted and there's nothing to lose,
So swap your confirmation for your dancing shoes,
Because there never was no God.
Step out of the darkness and onto the streets,
Forget about the fast, let's have a carnival feast,
Raise up your lowered head and hear the liberation beat,
There is no God,
So clap your hands together,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
But there is no God,
We're all in this together,
There is no God,
So ring that victory bell.
No cowering in the dark before these overbearing priests,
Not waiting until we die until we restitute the meek,
No blaming all our failings on imaginary beasts,
No fighting over land your distant fathers told you of,
Not spilling blood for those who have never spread a drop of love,
No finger pointing justified by phantoms up above,
There is no God,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
There is no God,
There is no God,
I know you're scared of dying man and I am too,
But just pretending it's not happening isn't gonna see us through,
If we accept that there's an end game and we haven't got much time,
Then in the here and now then we can try and do things right.
We'd be our own Salvation Army and together we'd believe
In all the wondrous things mere mortals can achieve
Well I've known beauty in the stillness of cathedrals in the day,
I've sung 'Glory Hallelujah' won't wash my sins away?
But now I'm singing my refrain and this is what I say,
I say there never was no God.
There is no God,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
But there is no God,
There is no God,
There is no God,
There is no God,
No heaven and no hell.
There is no God,
There is no God,

3 hours ago, purplebargeken said:

Is Mr Robot actually Breadvan in disguise?

Not exactly a new and insightful perspective tbh - all of those arguments have been doing the rounds for millennia.  Probably for as long as there have been religions in fact.

12 hours ago, New POD said:

True.

I am now in the attic room whilst she is in our bedroom.  Probably lying awake churning inside, making herself more ill and more sad. 

I just wish I could a) stop it happening in the first place..and b) fix it by waving a magic wand 

Or c) know what to do next. 

MikeRs wife  has come around and is chatting to my distraught wife. ( her sister) 

I'm hoping that she'll see it like me.  Pure exhaustion resulting in taking it out on the person who most wants to help but seems unable to. 

Dave_Lee-Cartland has been throwing up a  lot, and has been rushed to the emergency vets. They said he's in quite a bad way and must be kept in for 24 hours, the missus is in bits. Hope to God he's ok.

rented a car for a trip in feb - expressly checking how the payments were accepted

booked it then got an email off them (airline) oh youve booked with this

they might not accept that.........

ffs - THIS IS WHY THEY WERE CHOSEN/CHECKED FIRST YOU CAHNT

got on to their webchat having copied the 3 lines in their conditions that said no problem

oh hai please confirm this (copy paste) as written in your terms

*waits

'yessir thats fine'

'wtf was the email for then.......'

'errrrrr..............'

madness - why query something which is already stated as no problem on another part of the same website

dicks

Northern Rail did their usual trick of cancelling my train 'cos no train / no driver / alien invasion / big mac shortage. So an hour's wait which makes it dark when I get back to sunny Barnsley. I'm walking home as usual, and  go along scum street which has really bad lighting. I've got my headphones on, and realise about half way along I've got a crazy fucker following me shouting random gibberish for reasons unknown.  Going to fuck me up / don't walk so fast I can't catch you / This is my street / I like your hat. Just great. Thanks Northern! 

Out of interest, are you allowed to carry a can of lynx Africa that some idiot sister insists on buying you? Yes cop, I can identify my attacker, he's the one over there stinking like a teenage boy. I'd imagine lynx to the eyes is quite effective in dissuading crazies. 

How do I obliterate Greta Thunberg from my life , I'll be glad when her 5 minutes of fame is over , it seems every time I open facebook or a news page  her smug face or sometimes her angry face is looking back at me .

She's meeting david attenborough now, I dont think either of then have a plan , I've never seen David's angry face though 

Went out in the Rover earlier, tuned the wireless to Classic FM as is my habit, and I was getting loads of crackling and interference.  Tried adjusting the frequency up and down and started picking up a load of Dutch radio stations - some crackly but others as clear as a bell.  Have the Dutch suddenly turned their FM transmitters up to 11 or something?  I've never been able to pick up Dutch FM radio before.  It's really quite irritating.

2 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Went out in the Rover earlier, tuned the wireless to Classic FM as is my habit, and I was getting loads of crackling and interference.  Tried adjusting the frequency up and down and started picking up a load of Dutch radio stations - some crackly but others as clear as a bell.  Have the Dutch suddenly turned their FM transmitters up to 11 or something?  I've never been able to pick up Dutch FM radio before.  It's really quite irritating.

There is something strange going on, all the TV reception in most of Cambridgeshire and Suffolk is reportedly out.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/freeview-tv-signal-down-people-17486405

Could the radio problems be related?

6 minutes ago, Craig the Princess said:

There is something strange going on, all the TV reception in most of Cambridgeshire and Suffolk is reportedly out.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/freeview-tv-signal-down-people-17486405

Could the radio problems be related?

Could be.  I don't watch telly so have no idea if there's a signal here, although there's a reddish dot over mine on that map so possibly not.