The grumpy thread

outlaw118

That's work done until Friday. 

Everyone went to the pub at lunch. Myself and Harry at work went, but had no space at the table, so sat outside and had a Christmas beer and fags ourselves. Went back to work, hung around until 2 then left with the rest of the building. 

Harry got a shitty call from the boss, and basically told her to fuck off. I said I'd back him up. 

Home now, need to decide wether to do the jobs I need to do or get so fucked up I just pass out and wake up tomorrow. Its a proper dilemma

On 12/23/2019 at 2:52 PM, New POD said:

Ditto. 

Only worse when I've been ranted at. 

No it wasn't a dream.

I've come to the conclusion. 

Just don't argue back. Never argue that white is in fact white if she says it's black.  Because to say it's white is to lie. 

Today is a good day.  Turkey has not quite defrosted yet, but got the giblets out and put it back in the Christmas fridge. 

Son, is on his way, but I've lost one of his presents. Ah well. 

Wrap up the giblets for him ??

On 12/23/2019 at 4:35 PM, Richard said:

The Volvo's heater hasn't been as hot as I think it should be so I decided to change the thermostat. Two bolts, how hard can it be? The torx bolts rounded out immediately, then resisted all attempts to shift them with a hammer and punch. I tried hammering a bigger socket on and sheared the entire thermostat housing off. I took the assembly to the vice and even with vice grips and good access the bolts only just came out. The amount of effort required would have sheared the housing anyway, they have been done up by some gorilla.

That's me without a car for the holidays :( I'm tempted to take the remains to a welder to see if they can be put back together.

Crisis averted. I managed to get a housing from a V40. It uses a fatter temperature sender, and the bigger boss for that had to be filed down, and the wiring had to be butchered a bit but it holds water, the temperature gauge seems to work and the heater does seem better, although I'll have to try it on a properly cold day to be sure.

I'm still a bit annoyed with whoever was last in there for horsing the bolts up and for not using hex headed bolts to refit the top.

49268716853_6058f579e0_b.jpg

21 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Weirdly I don’t like men cutting my hair. Most of my haircuts for the last forty years have been from two hairdressers. Jan who used to have a salon in colnbrook when I moved there is now mobile and comes to me at 7am on a Saturday. £10. She also has loads of cars - vw up, golf gti, Porsche 944 turbo etc.

I've been cutting my own hair for the last 18 years. I've had loads of shite too such as a plethora of Rovers, a Mercedes, a BMW and a couple of Vauxhalls ?

Thing is, I can cut my hair to whatever style I want in the comfort of my own bathroom.  I have also cut hair for others at thier own request if they can't be bothered to go to the barbers/pay a mobile hair dresser etc....

43 minutes ago, Lord Sterling said:

I've been cutting my own hair for the last 18 years. I've had loads of shite too such as a plethora of Rovers, a Mercedes, a BMW and a couple of Vauxhalls ?

Thing is, I can cut my hair to whatever style I want in the comfort of my own bathroom.  I have also cut hair for others at thier own request if they can't be bothered to go to the barbers/pay a mobile hair dresser etc....

I’d do mine if I could remove my head, it’s only a short back and sides after all.

22 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Weirdly I don’t like men cutting my hair. Most of my haircuts for the last forty years have been from two hairdressers. Jan who used to have a salon in colnbrook when I moved there is now mobile and comes to me at 7am on a Saturday. £10. She also has loads of cars - vw up, golf gti, Porsche 944 turbo etc.

A hairdresser with a Golf GTi? There's a novelty!

My brain hurts at the idea of an online system that only works 12 hours a day.
I think someone on here pointed out that actually it's not a bad thing. How many people are using the system at midnight etc. Therefore why not save the money and make it just work for half the time.

You don't save money by shutting an online system off at night!? It's not like someone on the back end is sitting there processing it by hand - at least I hope not. Even if it is the DVLA. 

If anything, it means you get greater load when it's active and that's more expensive. You either have a system specced and capable of managing peak demand or you have it dynamically adjust with a cloud provider. Both get more expensive at higher load periods. 

The nearest reason I could fathom is that they disable requests when the support phone lines are closed. 

Just wanted to say take care out there, folks.

Two of my friends have been involved in a very nasty accident on the M6 today while on their way south to visit family for Christmas.

I won't go into details but, having seen pictures of their car, I'm absolutely staggered they're both largely ok.

I've been bollocked by my mum 'cos idiot sister has bought me a shitload of stuff, and I haven't and why can't I like her for 1 day a year?

I don't want anything from her. It will all be going to the charity shop.
1 day soon becomes 2 days and then I'm trapped in a living lie before you know it.

Fuck fucking christmas FFS.

DO NOT READ IF SQUEEMISH!

Some may know (and fewer will care) that ever since Chester stopped me from snuffing it earlier in the year I have been afflicted with skin problems. Basically, he clawed my face and an infection set in which progressed through my cheek bone (bit of which now removed!) and kept popping up in strange and interesting ways.

The last bit (I bloodyhope!) has been round my left ear. As an early Christmas present it has just exploded! That sounds dramatic or unpleasant, but believe me when I say it is a bloody relief of epic proportions! Okay, I have a crator like Tanganuska and a sharp pain but nothing compared to what it has been for the past six months.

Why do cars always pick the most inopportune moments to let you down? Christmas eve and a warning light pops up on the 850. Apparently I need I new brake light bulb ffs! This is all I need right now. Who said running an old car is fun?!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, SiC said:

You don't save money by shutting an online system off at night!? It's not like someone on the back end is sitting there processing it by hand - at least I hope not. Even if it is the DVLA. 

If anything, it means you get greater load when it's active and that's more expensive. You either have a system specced and capable of managing peak demand or you have it dynamically adjust with a cloud provider. Both get more expensive at higher load periods. 

The nearest reason I could fathom is that they disable requests when the support phone lines are closed. 

They've got a really good deal on EC2 reserved instances, and they had narrowed the support window by 50%.  Seems like value to me.

It might not be considered "cloud native" now, but when it was developed it was pretty early in taking advantage of what made AWS good value.  And I'd sooner they kept using it than wasted more money redeveloping it with newer technologies, when they still have legacy services to remake.

11 hours ago, xtriple said:

DO NOT READ IF SQUEEMISH!

Some may know (and fewer will care) that ever since Chester stopped me from snuffing it earlier in the year I have been afflicted with skin problems. Basically, he clawed my face and an infection set in which progressed through my cheek bone (bit of which now removed!) and kept popping up in strange and interesting ways.

The last bit (I bloodyhope!) has been round my left ear. As an early Christmas present it has just exploded! That sounds dramatic or unpleasant, but believe me when I say it is a bloody relief of epic proportions! Okay, I have a crator like Tanganuska and a sharp pain but nothing compared to what it has been for the past six months.

Tetanus?

Just had to leave the room at the in-laws as discussion turned to politics, which is something that has the possibility of turning into quite a row if I get started, it's Ok though one of them has just had an Echo dot for Christmas and I've said enough that they are all paranoid about cyber security, personal data and every device listening to and watching them, sure that will rumble on with devices all being turned off every night like they were in the 70's so in a way the Daily Fail were right, (discussion about) Corbyn will drag us back to the 70's...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

On 12/16/2019 at 5:36 AM, paulplom said:

Sore subject. Partner wrote MY v70 off by driving it down the side of MY van.

My mum dragged the side of her X-trail down the driveway fence of the house she'd lived in for 15-odd years and driven various cars out of several thousand times. Pretty good going that.

And I've never crashed into my own garage either.

Just had to leave the room at the in-laws as discussion turned to politics, which is something that has the possibility of turning into quite a row if I get started, it's Ok though one of them has just had an Echo dot for Christmas and I've said enough that they are all paranoid about cyber security, personal data and every device listening to and watching them, sure that will rumble on with devices all being turned off every night like they were in the 70's so in a way the Daily Fail were right, (discussion about) Corbyn will drag us back to the 70's...

FFS! They've now started on what constitutes Black / Coloured, Gollywogs, Black & White minstrels etc... I'm regretting not having started.on the drink... At least I'm not on my own on this one..

Just now, Floatylight said:

FFS! They've now started on what constitutes Black / Coloured, Gollywogs, Black & White minstrels etc... I'm regretting not having started.on the drink... At least I'm not on my own on this one..

I crashed a Transit into a Cathedral once.  I don't think I've been cursed with eternal damnation either, so I'll consider it a success...