The grumpy thread

outlaw118

8 minutes ago, Richard said:

I would top it up, but that wouldn't stop it being a shit car. No car that has been built to an acceptable standard uses oil.

My omega uses a bit. Not a massive amount. But I once had the warning

"LOW OIL LEVEL" come instead of the instantaneous fuel consumption.

I was on the m6 and paid more for one litre of Castrol than I spend of 5 litres of GMs own brand. 

My Leon never burned any oil but started recently when I started using cheap ass Unipart oil from Home Bargains.  I think I will go back to decent stuff and see if that changes.  However it was only a litre in 6000 miles so I don’t think I need contact trading standards just yet

29 minutes ago, Parky said:

Got to buy a car for £2500 or thereabouts.  Mrs P wants a Mini R56, so I am hunting for a decent one.  

How hard can it be?  Went to see one today which apparently was “mint”.  Local car, careful lady owner etc.  For a start the outside was dirty but ok, it’s been raining.  The interior was filthy and dusty with grime on switches, etc.  The engine started with a squeal which even surprised the dealer who also looked concerned.  Probably just a fan belt but it sounded more serious.  One careful lady owner perhaps, not sure what the other three were and yes it was a local car - in Liverpool.  

The comprehensive service history was two stamps in the book, last in 2011.  What was odd was a 2009 car had its first two services done by a mobile mechanic rather than a Mini dealership.  Someone wasn’t worried about their warranty.  No sign of timing chain rattle though.

I tried to like it but the heavy clutch with an inch of movement killed it for me.  Needless to say I am looking at two others tomorrow.  One is a Cat N that only needed a new bumper (pics to prove apparently) and the other is a white one with a red leather interior to satisfy my ambition to have a wipe clean interior for serial killing.  Wish me luck!  

Please don't get an R56, you will regret it. Obviously it's your choice, but they have a reputation for a reason. Either spend £2500 on a decent R50/53, or buy a Suzuki Swift.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki/2007-07-suzuki-swift-1.6-sport-3d-124-bhp-low-miles-1-year-mot/1360618801

(Just an example) 

Just now, TheDoctor said:

Please don't get an R56, you will regret it. Obviously it's your choice, but they have a reputation for a reason. Either spend £2500 on a decent R50/53, or buy a Suzuki Swift.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki/2007-07-suzuki-swift-1.6-sport-3d-124-bhp-low-miles-1-year-mot/1360618801

(Just an example) 

Nobody has ever said anything good about R56’s.  My cousin has fixed plenty and said “don’t.  Just don’t” 

I tested a Swift back in 2005 when they first came out - cracking wee things in 1.5 flavour and perfect for Mrs P.  Women though....she bought the worlds worst R50 ten years ago because it looked cool and stopped driving it when it broke down two weeks after she bought it.  Thing was a fucking lemon, I got it running nicely eventually and in typical fashion as soon as it was sorted she traded it.  

How unpleasant did you need to get in the end? 
Actually all I said was "can you keep the noise down, we're trying to sleep"
And she said sorry and it all went quiet.
Not being a miserable cunt, but loud music at gone midnight is a little inconsiderate.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

The rocket powered hot water bottle dog decided to raid the kitchen bin 5 nano seconds after the front door shut .. All i heard from the bath was "bang" and frantic running doggy footsteps ..... It must of landed on the mad thing ... When i got downstairs he was all innocent looking in his crate .....   

2 hours ago, iainrcz said:

Actually all I said was "can you keep the noise down, we're trying to sleep"
And she said sorry and it all went quiet.
Not being a miserable cunt, but loud music at gone midnight is a little inconsiderate.

My mother wouldn't allow anyone to use the phone after 9pm because "they might be in bed and they'll think there's something bad happened, because no one phones after 9pm unless it's an emergency" 

My mother wouldn't allow anyone to use the phone after 9pm because "they might be in bed and they'll think there's something bad happened, because no one phones after 9pm unless it's an emergency" 
Us biddies usually assume the worst when someone calls at a late hour.

Normally it's my dad ringing to bemoan Grimsby Town.

Heaters in the 75 have packed up again! Won’t have time to get it taken back to the garage before Christmas! Going away in it this Christmas too. 

Hate my job and wish I had the finances to just hand my notice in. Got pulled in last week for calling out my line manager for being a blatant liar because he’s an alcoholic. The company would rather not deal with it.  

On Friday I made a written complaint to the top HR person after the company (multi mil $ media agency) used the weekly job referral email to depict a broken Britain following the GE on Thursday. I understand the London bubble is 80% remain and 70% labour but I don’t go to work to receive an individuals political opinion or agenda. 

Should have just deleted it but I’m in a bad mood whenever I’m there so that probably made me want to complain more.  I expect to get called in for that on Monday..   All in all pretty fed up with stuff in general. 

Oh and parking around here is still shit. Old biddy neighbours with no lives that deliberately move a car out into the road so when I return home I can’t park outside there house, and the landlord here who has a bloody driveway has left his van out on the road for the last week meaning I can’t park in the one space where I don’t get grief from the local annoying Mrs bucket residents.  He has the luxury of a driveway and knows the grief I get outside (petty notes and residents moving their cars out onto the road when I go out) 

2 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

And you thought fuel was expensive round your way. Price in euros/ltr by the way round my way.

20191214_112050.thumb.jpg.d9527c15def497fb60a90b4a987cb9b6.jpg

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Blimey! €1.13 for diesel and €1.28 for 95 RON at places near to me in Spain.

Exchange rate change over the last few days has made it seem cheaper at €1.19 to £1.00

1 hour ago, andy18s said:

We're paying 2.07lev a litre for diesel,2.00 for unleaded 

Works out at 88ppl for diesel

Are there slight differences in fuel quality when comparing Bulgaria to Italy to Spain?

Collecting the 205 with the newly acquired Disco & trailer without a breakdown should have been a grin, but the Discovery (see what I did there! :-) ) that I have the only 300Di on the road as the Turbot appears to be ballast only turned it into a grump. Hopefully just another perished pipe....

On 12/13/2019 at 9:56 PM, TheDoctor said:

(Just an example) 

Hey, guess what I bought yesterday?  More to follow but all boxes were ticked, car was honest, car was decent (honestly you could eat your dinner off the engine and it was the smoothest N16 I have ever heard) and I thought sod it, let’s do it.  

Yes I could have bought something small and Japanese which was the original idea but “bought car, no problems” isn’t much of a thread is it?  A couple of tyres and a wheel alignment along with a windscreen chip repair kit and we are about as good as a ten year old car can be for the money.

Get the popcorn ready everyone, for once I might have some interesting content coming!

Got a second day off to myself, my partner is at work and my son is at his mum's. 

Currently sitting wondering why I have no friends, then realising that isn't the best subject to dwell on, as it's more than likely my fault, so trying to keep busy. 

Then realising that I need to sit down - too many aches and pains, which starts the whole thing over again. ??