The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Sounds like they need replacing, but as a point of interest it's always worth having a look at the code on the sidewall just to see how old they are:

Tyre_Manufacturer_Date_Info.thumb.png.f29d4933cc95ae8a2412ac5d457da3a9.png

About five years ago I put full sets of Avons on both my Laguna I and MrsDC's Yaris, and both sets were cracking really badly on the sidewalls after about 18 months.

Maybe I was just unlucky (x8), but it's not a brand I'd touch again.

Manufacturer claimed it was somehow my fault for allowing the tyres to suffer from UV degradation - even though the Lag's parking spot was down the side of the house, where literally the sun never shines (due to next door's massive three-storey extension that butts right up to the property line).

On the flipside, when one of my Polo Breadvan's Michelin tyres developed a wobble, the code showed that it was moulded in 1992... so quite likely the original spare tyre (as it still had plenty of tread on it).

According to my car's MoT history, the tyres on the car 8 years ago were perishing so I assume the current tyres are 8 years old. I've known that they needed replacing since I looked at them up close and realised they're cracking everywhere. It's a shame really as they have a lot of tread on them! Oh well, every rubber component on my car needs doing bar the exhuast hangers.

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The Post Office queues are just insanity.

Agreed, but when did you last use one? I use my local PO every week (have to, now NatPest have closed all the local branches) and it's usually fine, except December when everyone descends to send cards or parcels or ask silly questions.

4 hours ago, vulgalour said:

It's alarmingly common.  The way people react when they're caught using a mobile means the education is working, in that they know they shouldn't be doing it.  The traffic light creeper is one of the worst offenders, you can see them looking down as they creep forward, then immediately on the brakes when they look up because they don't seem to realise they're moving while messing with their phone.  The oblivious transit tipper driver with the phone glued to his ear, barelling out of junctions and onto roundabouts without a care in the world, getting angry at anyone that beeps at their recklessness.

There's no solution to it because people are people.

That's exactly it, they always give it away by looking down, usually to their right. I caught a lady (alone) driving a BMW driving school car texting someone in slow traffic the other week. She jumped out of her when I shouted at her.

9 hours ago, Kiltox said:

The windows in the flat I’ve just bought have really stiff handles, so I guess I’ll be joining you soon

Any idea how to sort them?

A new £7.99 handle from Screwfix. They have a variety of different fixings so it will almost certainly work for you. 

On the Haynes scale, it’s one star stuff. 

Driving through Edinburgh in a big, slow, cumbersome van.

I was sticking to the left lane in order to continue down the street. Crossed a roundabout and with zero warning, my lane was a bus lane. Ended up sat with the indicator on as nobody let me out and buses and taxis gathered behind me. Have to drive squeaky clean in a company vehicle!

It happened twice on the same bloody road in about half a mile too. Much swearing occurred.

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Agreed, but when did you last use one? I use my local PO every week (have to, now NatPest have closed all the local branches) and it's usually fine, except December when everyone descends to send cards or parcels or ask silly questions.

I use one regularly. It's the only sub branch left in Marlow, and it's mega easy to park so i take all my parcels there

The main one in town is a twat in all respects, same with my one in Thame. The guy behind the counter knows me, just smiles and points the gun through the glass to scan the label and I put it at the side tidily

I'm pleased that Barclays have backtracked on their proposal to stop allowing customers to withdraw cash at Post Offices; however that's not much help when both are closing at a rate of knots around here.

I dislike using third party cash machines, ever since the one at the CoOp ate my card, but don't often get the chance to get into a bank.

23 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

I'm pleased that Barclays have backtracked on their proposal to stop allowing customers to withdraw cash at Post Offices; however that's not much help when both are closing at a rate of knots around here.

I dislike using third party cash machines, ever since the one at the CoOp ate my card, but don't often get the chance to get into a bank.

I've not used cash for months, last time was for a taxi journey, can't remember before that

5 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Agreed, but when did you last use one? I use my local PO every week ..

Ealing PO every day. The staff try to get everyone to use the self-service machines so that they only have to keep one window open. Trouble is,  the machines need human intervention to complete the payment stage of the process....

Fucking Royal fucking mail.

I ordered something off a retailer and somehow the delivery address got mixed up with the billing address.

So it Has 

Correct: 

97 High Street

Incorrect;

Liverpool

Correct:

ST14 7JJ 

It was sent on 48 hour tracked.

3.5 weeks on going to Warrington. Wigan, Formby, Southport, Liverpool. Chester. Manchester. It's gone to a different North West sorting office every other day.

I've rang them and emailed them and apparently they will eventially give up and either return it to sender or to Belfast where they will open it and see if it has the senders address.

What they won't fucking do us send it to ST14 7JJ where they will see they are standing on the high street and ironically be delivering to the Old post office. 

They said they won't deliver unless the whole address is fucking right. 

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

is it me , or do people have a good look to see if you have a dash cam before cutting in , being a twat or kicking off  ?

I'm very wary of dash cams when out on my bike, I don't pull half as many wheelies whilst overtaking as I used to.

4 minutes ago, MikeR said:

must be the bent rear offside wing that makes them think twice ?

It's the AS sticker and the giffer spec fluorescent dayglow stripes all over your dented and dirty focus. Plus you look like a bouncer.  

5 minutes ago, Bucketeer said:

Ah. Okay. So close but yet so far. I guess I live here now.

IMG_20191210_123558.thumb.jpg.f3a630af7df001003b146e0aee020aab.jpg

At least it's only a seven mile walk to the nearest shop, and it's due to stop raining long enough for the ground to dry out sometime in May.

Looks like a car park entry structure laying on the ground in front of you.