The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I have been hiding indoors all day due to rain, Chester has been giving me 'the look' as he wants to go out but open the door and he just sits in the doorway looking at the rain - he doesn't like getting wet. I waited until it actually stopped persisting down and dashed out (well, you know) with the dog. We got as far away as it was ever going to be on a trot round the block job when the heavens opened and it absolutely HAMMERED down. Within a fifth of a second we were both drenched.

Christmas, a celebration of rampant consumerism. 

I find the waste disgusting. I find the pressure of achieving a "perfect" Christmas day totally suffocating. 

Millions of pounds wasted, untold amounts of stress inflicted on people in aid of a single day of shallow, vapid one upmanship. 

About time we packed the entire fucking thing in.

I work in retail so we get the full 'Jingle Bells' experience over the store radio and some of the less grumpy staff members wearing Christmas jumpers, it's hateful.

My best ever Christmas as an adult was when I was working in a bar/restaurant and volunteered to do the whole day from 10 till midnight, on double time with two sittings for dinner which meant two lots of tips and two Christmas dinners. I got more than a week's pay and free drinks for days afterwards.

Cool. “Keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine™️.” It’s my favourite time of the year, and I hope it remains so forever.

Grump? I’ve had to replace my third uPVC window handle in as many years. Am I a brute, or just very unlucky? My father had windows 22 years ago and not a single problem. I reckon these are about 10.

Grin? The fix is £7.99 and I feel like Dick from “Escape to the Chateau” any time I fix something around the house.

1 hour ago, davehedgehog31 said:

Christmas, a celebration of rampant consumerism. 

I find the waste disgusting. I find the pressure of achieving a "perfect" Christmas day totally suffocating. 

Millions of pounds wasted, untold amounts of stress inflicted on people in aid of a single day of shallow, vapid one upmanship. 

About time we packed the entire fucking thing in.

You need to join my family, Dave - my parents, my sister and I gave it up years ago and we're all the better for it. Occasionally (every three or four years), however, we weaken and do a 'spend 10 quid on each family member, 10 items from Poundland', so we end up with a pile of wrapped tat to open. Did it last year, so we're doing fuck all again this year.

[bah humbug]Other than that, Christmas can get in the sea - the only thing it's good for is a couple of days off work and a few early finishes.[/humbug]

10 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I love Christmas and always have done.

Ignore the consumerism and make your own joy.

Must admit, as much as I absolutely fucking detest winter with a burning hatred, the Christmas/new year week is pretty good.

I don’t get sucked into the whole ‘buy buy buy’ bollocks. I just get people something they want or can use thats not just some crap bought for the sake of it, even if it is just a gift card or whatever and that’s that. I don’t really want anything myself either.

Its just nice to have some time off work, have a nice dinner on a few of the days and spend time with my family. Good enough for me.

1 hour ago, danthecapriman said:

Its just nice to have some time off work, have a nice dinner on a few of the days and spend time with my family. Good enough for me.

Yeah, that's how it is for us.  The week between Christmas and New Year is the laziest of the year :)

Nothing to do and all week to do it - best holiday of the year.

Been getting a bit of the insomnia of late so been staying up as late as I can so I'm knackered before I go to bed

Gave it a go at 11:20pm 

11:30pm the wind blew the bin over so I had to go and sort that out so fucking freezing now , got back in bed and 10 minutes later just as I was nodding off some twat misdials my number and it rings twice before he realises it 

Fuck me,  I might hit myself in the nuts for the hat trick 

Spent much of this afternoon undoing four bolts that havent been moved for potentially 26 years.
Three were fine, the last one had read the book "How to be a complete Bastard" and released a board game of the same name as a follow up.
Ended up drifting it off a stud as all threads were a distant memory but it would still not release any other way.

But it did come off, the downpipe was out of the way and I could get at the lower mount that had stripped and extract the bolt ready for a bit of Heli-Coil magic, best I clean up these threads.
Bollocks, the threads are full of thread repair insert already.

Update: The thread repair seems have been a shonky insert that left plenty of meat for a Helicoil to snuggle into and its fixed once I get hold of a new stud.

In my state of New South Wales they are installing roadside cameras to catch people using their phones whilst driving, one was installed near me on the major highway through town.

My grump is that some lowlife scum had vandalised them, completely destroyed.

Distracted drivers on their phones are some of the most dangerous people on the road and the police/government are trying to stop them with these new cameras, but someone obviously thinks that this reckless driving behaviour is fine and they should not be punished for it.

I hope they catch whoever destroyed this camera and punish them severely.

4 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

In my state of New South Wales they are installing roadside cameras to catch people using their phones whilst driving, one was installed near me on the major highway through town.

... someone obviously thinks that this reckless driving behaviour is fine and they should not be punished for it...

...and they're probably not the only one. Over here, there are plenty of people who think it's acceptable. 

12 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

.....Grump? I’ve had to replace my third uPVC window handle in as many years. Am I a brute, or just very unlucky? .....

This is a common failure. The thing is made of an impure alloy - mazak, similar to the stuff used for diecast models - on the cheap. Eventually it corroded and fractures.

12 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Cool. “Keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine™️.” It’s my favourite time of the year, and I hope it remains so forever.

Grump? I’ve had to replace my third uPVC window handle in as many years. Am I a brute, or just very unlucky? My father had windows 22 years ago and not a single problem. I reckon these are about 10.

Grin? The fix is £7.99 and I feel like Dick from “Escape to the Chateau” any time I fix something around the house.

The windows in the flat I’ve just bought have really stiff handles, so I guess I’ll be joining you soon

Any idea how to sort them?

5 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Distracted drivers on their phones are some of the most dangerous people on the road and the police/government are trying to stop them with these new cameras, but someone obviously thinks that this reckless driving behaviour is fine and they should not be punished for it.

I hope they catch whoever destroyed this camera and punish them severely.

Down my street they installed one of those electric signs that flashes up with the 30mph zone warning if it detects vehicles doing over 30. It’s 30 because it’s residential and there’s a school at each end of the road and a church and elderly people’s housing yet nobody sticks to that limit.

The sign was mounted on a lamp post, I went passed the day after they installed it and some utter prick had completely smashed it to bits. Literally torn to pieces and smashed off the lamp post.

why!? It wasn’t even a camera just a warning. It must have cost the council (and therefore tax payer) a fair bit too.

22 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Micra's tyres are letting out air. I think their age and the recent cold weather has finally got to them. They're cracked like crazy!

Sounds like they need replacing, but as a point of interest it's always worth having a look at the code on the sidewall just to see how old they are:

Tyre_Manufacturer_Date_Info.thumb.png.f29d4933cc95ae8a2412ac5d457da3a9.png

About five years ago I put full sets of Avons on both my Laguna I and MrsDC's Yaris, and both sets were cracking really badly on the sidewalls after about 18 months.

Maybe I was just unlucky (x8), but it's not a brand I'd touch again.

Manufacturer claimed it was somehow my fault for allowing the tyres to suffer from UV degradation - even though the Lag's parking spot was down the side of the house, where literally the sun never shines (due to next door's massive three-storey extension that butts right up to the property line).

On the flipside, when one of my Polo Breadvan's Michelin tyres developed a wobble, the code showed that it was moulded in 1992... so quite likely the original spare tyre (as it still had plenty of tread on it).

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

...and they're probably not the only one. Over here, there are plenty of people who think it's acceptable. 

On the M62 last week going up windy hill near oldham a girl in a micra doing 60mph in lane 2 , I'm in lane one, she loses 5mph so I'm alongside her, look across and she's on her phone, texting or on instagram , I give it a loud blast of the horn and she fucks off at 70 mph , a mile or so further on I overtake her as she's back to 60 in lane 2 and yes, still on the phone , it was busy too, in a fucking micra , if a truck hits that it'll just be a paint stain on his bumper

That's why they bought in the 6 points for using your phone I'm sure , anyone caught in the first 2 years is back on the bus BUT it needs enforcing.

53 minutes ago, Wack said:

On the M62 last week going up windy hill near oldham a girl in a micra doing 60mph in lane 2 , I'm in lane one, she loses 5mph so I'm alongside her, look across and she's on her phone, texting or on instagram , I give it a loud blast of the horn and she fucks off at 70 mph , a mile or so further on I overtake her as she's back to 60 in lane 2 and yes, still on the phone , it was busy too, in a fucking micra , if a truck hits that it'll just be a paint stain on his bumper

That's why they bought in the 6 points for using your phone I'm sure , anyone caught in the first 2 years is back on the bus BUT it needs enforcing.

Similar thing here, I was on the M1 the other day, it was pure pissing it down, loads of spray, crap visibility. I was doing 70mph which honestly was too fast for the conditions, I was being a fanny but the road was fairly quiet.

In my mirror I saw a car bombing along in the right hand lane gaining ground very quickly, they were doing a good 95+ MPH. It was being driven some young lass with her phone in one hand, having an animated conversation and waving the other hand about in the air!

I awoke to the sounds of a motorbike doing at least 80 mph past my house in a 30.mph zone.  It was dry, and daylight and Sunday morning, but feck it was loud and fast. 

What is it about Uttoxeter that everyone under 40 thinks they are Colin.mcrae or guy Martin on a competitive event? 

It's alarmingly common.  The way people react when they're caught using a mobile means the education is working, in that they know they shouldn't be doing it.  The traffic light creeper is one of the worst offenders, you can see them looking down as they creep forward, then immediately on the brakes when they look up because they don't seem to realise they're moving while messing with their phone.  The oblivious transit tipper driver with the phone glued to his ear, barelling out of junctions and onto roundabouts without a care in the world, getting angry at anyone that beeps at their recklessness.

There's no solution to it because people are people.

The lorry drivers near Dover that pull out in front of cars at the Whitfield roundabout near Dover when on their phones is really, really alarming.  It wouldn't be quite so alarming if it was rare but it happens practically every time I'm down there.  Which is usually once or twice a week.  Literally pulling out in front of cars that are going around the roundabout as if they haven't seen them.

The worst offenders for this are the employers that demand employees answer their phone but don't make any provision for hands-free kits of any sort.  As a driver, you risk serious penalties on your license should you get caught, jeopardising your career, but also if you don't answer when the employer calls, what with zero hour contracts and the like, you jeapordise your wage because your employer might just not give you any hours to work.  So people take the risk, because the risk of getting caught is significantly lower than the risk of your employer being a Grade A dick.

The whole mobile phone use behind the wheel also boils my piss.  See it all the time, as Vulg says the traffic light creepers are easy to spot and see them all the time.  I always spot people driving around and looking down, either on their phones or obsessed with their own genitalia, I suspect the former!    Recently a nice blonde girl driving a Merc let me cross the road at a junction, nice smile and a gesture to cross...  As I crossed I spotted the phone in her left hand so I done the whole phone hand signal thing and said 'PUT THE PHONE DOWN'.   The instant rage that followed was something else.