The grumpy thread

outlaw118

5 hours ago, New POD said:

I was offered a job/contract this last week. 

Provisional offer says Ltd company rate.

I provisionally accepted pending contract being acceptable. 

Comes back with that they are checking because hiring manager thinks it's inside IR35. 

If this is the case the reduced income due to more tax is not the issue. 

My limited company has been employing my wife (who has ME) to do the books which has paid her National insurance stamp, ensuring she'll get a pension. And it has been paying into a pension for her. 

I will have to wind the company up. 

It's just loads of hassle.  I might end up winding up the company with it owing the HMRC money if I'm not careful. 

And this is all because of the changes to regulations in April which have loads of companies who employ contractors and freelancers on temporary contracts. 

It looks like there's not much else out there due to this and the brexshite effect, so don't know if this is a temporary blip or whether it's all going this way forever. 

I'll be talking with my accountant on Monday. 

I think my “engager” and I have agreed on mixing my role up sufficiently so as to swerve IR35. My industry (broadcasting) is full of hidden employment - I was interviewed by HMRC 12 years ago about it, and they weren’t happy then.

I’m not adverse to ‘going straight’ - and don’t operate as a service company to dodge tax. I really really value working for myself, being my own boss and working with a few clients concurrently.

I can’t help with any advice, sadly - especially your wife’s NI contributions. It doesn’t sound great...

On 11/30/2019 at 11:08 AM, New POD said:

I was offered a job/contract this last week. 

Provisional offer says Ltd company rate.

I provisionally accepted pending contract being acceptable. 

Comes back with that they are checking because hiring manager thinks it's inside IR35. 

If this is the case the reduced income due to more tax is not the issue. 

My limited company has been employing my wife (who has ME) to do the books which has paid her National insurance stamp, ensuring she'll get a pension. And it has been paying into a pension for her. 

I will have to wind the company up. 

It's just loads of hassle.  I might end up winding up the company with it owing the HMRC money if I'm not careful. 

And this is all because of the changes to regulations in April which have loads of companies who employ contractors and freelancers on temporary contracts. 

It looks like there's not much else out there due to this and the brexshite effect, so don't know if this is a temporary blip or whether it's all going this way forever. 

I'll be talking with my accountant on Monday. 

How long is the contract? If the end date is before April 6 they shouldn’t be making a status determination, you should. 

Obviously if it’s inside, it’s inside. 

Why does everything on a semi-modern car have to be made of plastic? I look after my next door neighbours Mk1 Citroen C3 for her. Complaints of a wiper that now only limply clears the rear number plate was traced to the tiny splined ferrule having parted ways with the plastic wiper arm.  
What was wrong with a metal arm, that way I could just have cleaned up the splines  and it would now be fixed? But no, saving 28p and 3g of weight was clearly more critical to Citroen’s designers*.  
Felt slightly less peeved when I found the new one was only £8, including a new wiper blade as well. Given it’s sold as OEM style (nice wording  eBay vendor) I’m sure it will be excellent* and long lasting*......

27 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

Why does everything on a semi-modern car have to be made of plastic? I look after my next door neighbours Mk1 Citroen C3 for her. Complaints of a wiper that now only limply clears the rear number plate was traced to the tiny splined ferrule having parted ways with the plastic wiper arm.  
What was wrong with a metal arm, that way I could just have cleaned up the splines  and it would now be fixed? But no, saving 28p and 3g of weight was clearly more critical to Citroen’s designers*.  
Felt slightly less peeved when I found the new one was only £8, including a new wiper blade as well. Given it’s sold as OEM style (nice wording  eBay vendor) I’m sure it will be excellent* and long lasting*......

Rear number plate wipers?

Is it an MOT failure?

In this wonderful age of technology, how come nobody has invented a device that sends varying degrees of electrical shocks to people via their computer? Maybe starting with a cheeky little 15 volter for asking 'WERE R U M8' when you've already stated it on your advert, right up to 35,000 fucking megatron watts right in the knackers to someone who asks a series of less and less understandable messages, culminating into what looks like an 6 week old hedgehog on acid has fallen onto a keyboard and pressed 'send'.

13 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

In this wonderful age of technology, how come nobody has invented a device that sends varying degrees of electrical shocks to people via their computer? Maybe starting with a cheeky little 15 volter for asking 'WERE R U M8' when you've already stated it on your advert, right up to 35,000 fucking megatron watts right in the knackers to someone who asks a series of less and less understandable messages, culminating into what looks like an 6 week old hedgehog on acid has fallen onto a keyboard and pressed 'send'.

M8 is dis grump still 4 sale? 2nite 20 cash yeah? 

4 hours ago, Kiltox said:

How long is the contract? If the end date is before April 6 they shouldn’t be making a status determination, you should. 

Obviously if it’s inside, it’s inside. 

12 months.  Might suggest, that they make it until April, and suggest changes to working practise.  I don't do being micro managed, so there are other issues other than tax that concern me a little.  I like not being an employee, because it allows me a certain level of autonomy on how I do the work. 

Got up to make a cuppa, yawned and my front tooth fell out! It had been a tad loose for a while, but not that loose... It's a reet bugger this getting old lark, things falling apart and now, dropping out without prior notice.

Just phoned a guy not far away and he's gonna have a look at sticking it back in, cement and a bit of plaster, possibly a few wood screws and it'll last e thru Christmas... I hope!

9 minutes ago, xtriple said:

Got up to make a cuppa, yawned and my front tooth fell out! It had been a tad loose for a while, but not that loose... It's a reet bugger this getting old lark, things falling apart and now, dropping out without prior notice.

Just phoned a guy not far away and he's gonna have a look at sticking it back in, cement and a bit of plaster, possibly a few wood screws and it'll last e thru Christmas... I hope!

Bit of Aldilidle superglue and you will be reyt mate. DIY for under a pound. Just stay off the pork scratchings and don't yawn. Sorted.

1 hour ago, xtriple said:

Got up to make a cuppa, yawned and my front tooth fell out! It had been a tad loose for a while, but not that loose... It's a reet bugger this getting old lark, things falling apart and now, dropping out without prior notice....

If it's any consolation, you've only lost the one. I've had two of my back teeth drop out - no blood or anything. Mind you, I think it might be my liking for wine over several years which might have contributed in no small way to the deterioration....

Oh FFS...

IMG_20191202_140148.thumb.jpg.37110c9d9de5f700721e1b012e0a1f80.jpg

Just came downstairs from a shower to hear *drip...drip...drip...drip...* from the utility room.

Where the heck is that coming from?

Sadly the apparent source is somewhere under or behind the en suite shower...which has all been tiled in with no access provision by the prior owner of the house.

There goes the rest of my afternoon then.

The fucking wheelie bin hasn’t been collected again!! Everyone else’s has, (including the neighbour’s bin which I took down at the same time). That’s 3 weeks now ours hasn’t been emptied.

Ive noticed on the route that loads of black bags haven’t been collected, normally they’ll take these even though they’re only meant to empty the wheelie bins but recently they’ve stopped taking them. Maybe they have a new team on who are applying the rules exactly/being awkward bastards/useless tossers (delete as applicable)

2 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

The fucking wheelie bin hasn’t been collected again!! Everyone else’s has, (including the neighbour’s bin which I took down at the same time). That’s 3 weeks now ours hasn’t been emptied.

Ive noticed on the route that loads of black bags haven’t been collected, normally they’ll take these even though they’re only meant to empty the wheelie bins but recently they’ve stopped taking them. Maybe they have a new team on who are applying the rules exactly/being awkward bastards/useless tossers (delete as applicable)

I have always believed that councils and contractors are trying to slowly creep towards one bin collection per month, and then one every six weeks after that.

In other news, Barnet Council won't be collecting the green bin/garden waste again until Spring.....

10 minutes ago, Lankytim said:

My daughter's wasn't emptied a couple of months ago.  She phoned to ask why and they said unsuitable items in it.

Some bugger had slung a load of crap in her bin - in plastic bags.

I unloaded the bin, burned a lot of the stuff in her incinerator, crushed the rest and it was only 1/4 full when I had finished.

Perhaps someone has dumped stuff in yours that they don't look the look of.

16 minutes ago, myglaren said:

My daughter's wasn't emptied a couple of months ago.  She phoned to ask why and they said unsuitable items in it.

Some bugger had slung a load of crap in her bin - in plastic bags.

I unloaded the bin, burned a lot of the stuff in her incinerator, crushed the rest and it was only 1/4 full when I had finished.

Perhaps someone has dumped stuff in yours that they don't look the look of.

It's possible, but they leave an official looking note on the side saying why they haven't collected it. Nothing left in this case. I've been in touch with the council who have reported back saying that all bins were out and all have been emptied. I can't imagine i'm going to get any sort of good result out of this and will just have to wait another week. 

Just a moan but open to suggestions.
Daughter had a new clutch fitted a few weeks back old one slipping.   After a bit she said it smelled of burning (the old one had too.
Took it back, presuming a dud release bearing.
It was the flywheel that had worn in the middle, leaving a narrow contact area around the circumference.
Unfortunately the garage owner went to India* the day I took it in. Dropped in a couple of days later and they showed me the flywheel and they were attempting to get a scrapyard replacement, which has proved to be difficult, the one thy did manage to get was too big.
Renault list them but can't supply them.   NFP.
Mister Auto seems to have some but probably not the right one, prices between £300 & £700 :(

Spoke to the garage owner, back from India and he has asked if I know of anyone who can skim the old clutch. I do know of one workshop near here, will try and contact them but have an unmissable appointment tomorrow, another day down the drain.
She is getting a bit agitated now, into the third week. At least she has a car from work.

*not Indian.

7 hours ago, xtriple said:

Could be worse, you could unwittingly have won a Vauxhall.

Oh.....

My grump is a first world problem. I usually work afternoons only, but had to get to work at the criminally unheard of time of 10.15am to attend a mandatory training session.

So not only was I dazed and confused getting up at (to me) silly o'clock (I normally fall out of my bed at around 10.30), I then had to clear up my cat's toilet explosions during the night which naturally evaded the litter tray, then I had to defrost the 620, which steadfastedly refused to even let me put the key in the door lock. Then driving into work, the low sun burned holes in my retinas.

Understandably my retort to my colleague's cheery good morning was a firm but fair 'Fuck off'.

Just been in getting the new tyres fitted to the Xantia...while this was being done I had a look around.

She also needs front pads soon, the exhaust has somehow escaped the rearmost hanger, and one of the rear discs is knackered (looks like the calipers are doing the dodgy alignment thing they're fond of on Xantias).

So that's probably going to be another hundred quid on the bill from BL later in the week...

To put my tooth to bed, Vision dental lab sorted out a new tooth onto my plate in two hours. Cost £40 but so what at least it filled the gap :) But, the cold weather has absolutely killed me today, my AS does not like cold weather and by the crin, it really didn't like today. Absolute bloody agony. Got home, tired and my left shoulder feels like its going to explode so many many Paracetamol (to go with the constant Fentanyl) and then a dose of morphine cos it just wasn't shifting it.

This is the first really cold day (and by 'up North' standards, mid summer) so I am not looking forward to the next few months.