The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, chompy_snake said:

Good luck with getting anything out of esure! 

They are one of the worst insurers in the ever. It's who the tw@ in the BMW was insured with when I was involved in horror van smash..... They tried saying it was our fault, shortly followed by I was passenger so entitled to nothing. 18months later I got a less than fair payout that didn't reflect injuries correctly. 

I didn't know they tried saying it was our fault,if you told me I forgot! How could it have been my fault? Maybe i was impeding his travel by doing 65 in the inside lane and he was doing 142 at point of impact. What about him stating my van was evil and should be rammed off road too! Insurance companies are big fuck ups. Regulated by themselves with no government guidelines as such or external complaints procedures for something required by law. 

Je       , every claim I hear about seems to be a horror story !!!  ...  you work hard to get something nice and it gets twatted !!

after getting stung over a low car park  wall that ran into the side of my decent *  car one dark night ....                  * if a Fiat can be

I decided running a shed was the best way forward.    ie    old volvo followed by a Micra ,   Mk1 Zaffy  , Meriva ,  Focus .

Never again would I be tied to a insurer that reams me out because I had to tick the claims in the last lifetime box  .

so I do have a  Focus that is worth sweet FA I can walk away from if the worst happens ...  I still have not fixed the rear wing some one hit ...

and dont mention the window winder ...... and suffered 2 break ins and numerous parking hit and runs with out doing a claim ...

20191004_163758.thumb.jpg.9487717914be26967159a495b593c8bb.jpg

3 hours ago, scdan4 said:

This is why 2 things now exist.

1) accident management companies 

2) gap insurance.

Which when you think about it both cost the insurance industry more now  than doing the job properly in the first place would have.

(However, having insured abroad, ours is actually cheap imho. (Not very good, but cheap))

The stupid thing is the small print states quite clearly that the first owner is entitled to the full refund in the first year.  But then they turn round and say “ah yes, but you have finance on it so technically you aren’t the owner”

”Ok says I, i will get the finance company to claim as they  are the owner”

”Aha, but they aren’t the registered keeper though!”

Basically if I bought it with a personal loan, no question re full refund.  Because I bought it on finance their initial offer was SIX GRAND less than I paid for it three months ago  leaving me with zero car and a big payment to the finance company.  I am not being six grand out of pocket because some other cunt can’t drive around a wet corner so I said make the pencils sharper and come back when common sense pays a visit.

As so many cars are bought on HP and PCP I do wonder how many folk are with eSure because of this new for old policy in the first year?  I wonder how many realise it won’t apply to 90% of new car buyers.  I certainly didn’t otherwise I would have gone with someone else.

Words such as complaints team, Ombusdman and Twitter are dancing around the page.  They want the V5 asap but I would rather wait for a proper offer as if I hand the car over to them I am effectively screwed from a negotiation perspective

This  doesn't help much, but I suspect in cases like this the insurance companies will scratch each other's backs.  Ultimately they are all in the same racket business together.  One side may have admitted liability, but they still want to contain their costs and pay out as little as possible, and they will try and arrange that quietly, behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, Parky said:

The stupid thing is the small print states quite clearly that the first owner is entitled to the full refund in the first year.  But then they turn round and say “ah yes, but you have finance on it so technically you aren’t the owner”

”Ok says I, i will get the finance company to claim as they  are the owner”

”Aha, but they aren’t the registered keeper though!”

Basically if I bought it with a personal loan, no question re full refund.  Because I bought it on finance their initial offer was SIX GRAND less than I paid for it three months ago  leaving me with zero car and a big payment to the finance company.  I am not being six grand out of pocket because some other cunt can’t drive around a wet corner so I said make the pencils sharper and come back when common sense pays a visit.

As so many cars are bought on HP and PCP I do wonder how many folk are with eSure because of this new for old policy in the first year?  I wonder how many realise it won’t apply to 90% of new car buyers.  I certainly didn’t otherwise I would have gone with someone else.

Words such as complaints team, Ombusdman and Twitter are dancing around the page.  They want the V5 asap but I would rather wait for a proper offer as if I hand the car over to them I am effectively screwed from a negotiation perspective

I can see this gap insurance becoming the next ppi as surely they have to make it crystal that your gap policy is pointless if buying on pcp/hp

1 hour ago, Parky said:

They want the V5 asap but I would rather wait for a proper offer as if I hand the car over to them I am effectively screwed from a negotiation perspective

They should never have that!

I had my Accord written off by another driver - I was stationary at the time.

The other partie's insurer paid out within ten days, more than I paid for the car.  I drove it for a year then part-exed it.

I expected them to take it and scrap it but they assured me that it was my possession and not theirs.

Only your insurer takes possession of your car.

Same when my daughter's Fiesta was written off.  She retained the car, sold it on and it was back on the road a week later.

The insurance payout was more than she had paid for it and paid for her newer Megane C+C, cash over from the sale of the Fiesta.

You most definitely need to use Facebook/Twitter to help them become aware of how wrong they are, also use the legal cover of your own insurance.

Despicable arseholes that they are .

More insurance bollocks... when I got the Aixam (sans V5) I knew I'd have a bit of a wait for getting it on the road, so I got a load of insurance quotes with the starting date for the policy as 30th Nov. The best of these was £249, not great but I have no spare NCB. The V5 finally turned up yesterday and, wanting to have a play, I retrieved the quotes and changed the date to today, at which point the lowest one mentioned above shot up to £371.

Having re-run the quote with a series of different dates in, it transpires that I can insure it for the aforementioned £249 in a week from now, so that's what's happening. Presumably the bastards are looking to cash in on some perceived desperation with this tactic? Whatever - fuck 'em - it can sit where it is for another week.

On the upside, I discovered yesterday that our local council do a 'green' parking pass for the town centre - 50% off the normal season ticket price for hybrids and free for full electric cars :)

Tyre pressure sensors, what a good idea. Two weeks ago one on a back wheel decided to leak and make the tyre go flat (how ironic). This week a front one has gone down and set the Tpm system off (this time showing a blank reading, tyre pressure is fine). So that will cost me again, and I have to put up with binging warnings and flashing lights until it's fixed. And the bonnet pull has fallen apart again good job I bought a spare last time it did that. 

Conclusion this car hates me.

Another Romanian-plated RHD car has turned up in the street. These fellas seem to be untouchable,  like the Romanian-plated Transit on the Great North Way last night that decided not to wait at the red light like the other cars, but instead go straight across the junction when the lights were green for the other direction. 

20191116_133735.jpg

Gone away to Dorset for the weekend with wifey and her best mate. They’ve gone out for the afternoon, I’m left at base as I wanted to just chill.

Woke up this morning full of snot, stomach churning over like a washing machine and shivering like it’s minus 30. That’s the weekend ruined for me

2 hours ago, strangeangel said:

More insurance bollocks... when I got the Aixam (sans V5) I knew I'd have a bit of a wait for getting it on the road, so I got a load of insurance quotes with the starting date for the policy as 30th Nov. The best of these was £249, not great but I have no spare NCB. The V5 finally turned up yesterday and, wanting to have a play, I retrieved the quotes and changed the date to today, at which point the lowest one mentioned above shot up to £371.

Having re-run the quote with a series of different dates in, it transpires that I can insure it for the aforementioned £249 in a week from now, so that's what's happening. Presumably the bastards are looking to cash in on some perceived desperation with this tactic? Whatever - fuck 'em - it can sit where it is for another week.

On the upside, I discovered yesterday that our local council do a 'green' parking pass for the town centre - 50% off the normal season ticket price for hybrids and free for full electric cars :)

Been going on a while has that. The closer the date of inception means higher premium. for someone like me it means a big ball ache. 

I've had two rear ended shunts and my wife has been rear ended in her car too. One of mine was Admiral, other was under Directline. Wife was with Directline too. My cars were written off, my wifes car was repaired. 

All of it was zero ballache. Paid out in the space of two weeks on the write-offs. Wife car took 4 weeks to repair. All cases got a hire car to cover it. Admiral one went to a claim management company, Directline they handled (or their claim management subsidiary).

Even if it does cost a bit more to stay with Directline, the reports above have made me want to even more. Always been competitively priced (like within a tenner) after I get them to requote on renewal too. 

Haven't driven the P38 Strange Rover for about 3x weeks so I thought I'd give it a run. As it's a Land Rover they all leak something-mine leaks electricity. Being unusually organised I put the battery on charge. Today I connected the battery and it started 1st time. Too go to be true. It rewarded me by deflating the suspension as I was taking the current millstone to work. 3miles on the bumps stops before it decided to rise to the occasion- ooh err missus! I then treated it to 30 pictures of her maj for some squashed dinosaurs as the fuel light was on. Got home in the style to which I'm not usually accustomed. The grump ? I went to pop the bonnet to disconnect the battery and one of the bastard cables snapped! My the electricity will all leak out in 3x days and my RAC does not cover home start. Bollocks! (I was going to call them out with a flat battery and casually mention the broken cable and let them open it). Do I park it up a mile away and then call them or do I say fxxk it and take it to the garage and let them open it?

1 hour ago, burraston2006 said:

Haven't driven the P38 Strange Rover for about 3x weeks so I thought I'd give it a run. As it's a Land Rover they all leak something-mine leaks electricity. Being unusually organised I put the battery on charge. Today I connected the battery and it started 1st time. Too go to be true. It rewarded me by deflating the suspension as I was taking the current millstone to work. 3miles on the bumps stops before it decided to rise to the occasion- ooh err missus! I then treated it to 30 pictures of her maj for some squashed dinosaurs as the fuel light was on. Got home in the style to which I'm not usually accustomed. The grump ? I went to pop the bonnet to disconnect the battery and one of the bastard cables snapped! My the electricity will all leak out in 3x days and my RAC does not cover home start. Bollocks! (I was going to call them out with a flat battery and casually mention the broken cable and let them open it). Do I park it up a mile away and then call them or do I say fxxk it and take it to the garage and let them open it?

Plasma cutter?

11 hours ago, jamiechod said:

I can see this gap insurance becoming the next ppi as surely they have to make it crystal that your gap policy is pointless if buying on pcp/hp

I've thought this for ages-ever since a number of colleagues took out PCP's on cars (mostly Fiat 500's and Audi A3's) and were all encouraged to take out Gap insurance. Something fishy is going on...

12 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I've thought this for ages-ever since a number of colleagues took out PCP's on cars (mostly Fiat 500's and Audi A3's) and were all encouraged to take out Gap insurance. Something fishy is going on...

The next mis-selling scandal?

I've been coming to an annual event up in Livingston every year since 2015.  We're now very much becoming victims of our own success.

2015 we had 153 attendees.  Last year was just under 300 if I remember right.  This year we had 420 attendees registered in advance...and it's painfully apparent that we have now thoroughly outgrown our venue.  Last two years we've had to use an overflow hotel for accomodation (two this year), but we were managing to still make the event space work reasonably well.  The only event last year I remember there being people turned away from due to the room being at capacity was the closing ceremony.

Many queues, Impossible to get through even the usually wide open communal areas in the hotel etc...it just feels overcrowded. 

I mean it's great to see our little event going from strength to strength, but it's obvious that there's going to be changed next year.  Either it will be a cap being placed on the reg numbers, or a new venue.

The latter is the most likely.  Fair enough, but having been here since 2015 (14 actually, but 15 was the first year we were here), this hotel feels like home.  The hotel love us and basically just hand us the keys on a silver platter for the weekend.  Moving will mean starting a new relationship from scratch.

We'll make it work...but things changing is always a bit hard to watch for me.  Makes me really nostalgic for my first trip up here back in 2015.

8 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The next mis-selling scandal?

As one of the major providers of GAP went bust recently (Lamp) its probably not going to be an enormo scandal.

The insurance thing is very roughly that if you're the sort of person who leaves sorting your car insurance to the last minute you're likely to be the sort of person who takes other unnecessary risks so the premium is loaded to take account of that.

Debate the aesthetics to your hearts content but I did end up ordering/buying the wood trim for the SLK. However, it would seem that the Gods don't like the wood look in Mercedes small sports car as after nearly 4 weeks, still no sign of it arriving. I e-mailed them a week ago and got no reply. It was £97 which I paid by Paypal. I looked a few days after first purchase and the price has gone up to nearly £110.

I am seriously tempted to try for a refund through Paypal but want the trim...

Why is it that at any event involving more than about ten people is there *always* a contingent who have absolutely zero concept of how to behave acceptably?

Just in the closing ceremony of where I've been this weekend, and there were a group of three people in the row behind us who spent the whole time talking loudly among themselves, complaining about how they hated the jokes being made during the ceremony (most of which are basically tradition now after nine years), and even laughing through the part where we were told that there would be no convention next year.  Which for some of us is quite a profound bombshell.  Granted it was later alleviated by the news we're moving to a new venue in early 2021, but it could really have done it without non stop babble from behind me.

Moving to a new venue is a bit of a grump too.  It's a good thing really as we've utterly and completely outgrown the Livingston Mercure.  It just isn't able to cope with a party of 482 (final number for this year) people.  So "next year" we're moving to the Crowne Plaza hotel in Glasgow... that's...quite a jump!

It's very much needed and good news...but this hotel feels kinda like home.

Car batteries. First off, neighbour's 308 which now seems to involve having to be the illegitimate love child of Einstein and a contortionist to get out (gave up with that one) and then fucker on this 2010 Astra, which is the same. Instead of piss arsing about bolting all kinds of shit to the top of batteries, why don't they just leave it to the usual two 10mm and one 13mm nuts? Bastards.

Recently for some reason I keep getting sent the wrong item by eBay sellers.  I'm not just talking about the wrong type of brake pads (which has happened twice now), but completely the wrong thing.  A couple of weeks back I ordered a GPS speedo and the seller sent me a turtle ankle pendant.  Then last week I ordered a lightbulb and the seller has sent me a container of slug killer.

Has eBay's ordering system shat itself or something?

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Recently for some reason I keep getting sent the wrong item by eBay sellers.  I'm not just talking about the wrong type of brake pads (which has happened twice now), but completely the wrong thing.  A couple of weeks back I ordered a GPS speedo and the seller sent me a turtle ankle pendant.  Then last week I ordered a lightbulb and the seller has sent me a container of slug killer.

Has eBay's ordering system shat itself or something?

I suspect the algorithm doesn't translate your order well into Chinese.