The grumpy thread

outlaw118

I think there are rules related to date night that means both people have to scrub up and not talk about any stress they have and just try to have fun.  

This is obviously impossible once you've been married 29 years. 

What happens is they want to remember the last time you went to the theatre and you apparently upset her by *not giving a homeless bloke any money and you ended up having an argument about nothing at all

*delete the word "not" if appropriate. 

Fucks sake.  Arranging myself a trip to Cherbnobyl to cheer myself up.  Parky senior phones tonight, wants to come,  yeah great but for fucks sake  the last thing I need is the old man in tow.  Having to explain that yes this is a foreign country.  No they probably don’t have Sainsbury’s.  Or Paddy Power.  No I don’t speak fluent Russian.  Yes it is a potential war zone.  Yes it is dangerous.  Yes you need a passport.  Yes you need a form for that.  Post office.  Yes any one.  Yes a new photo, the one of you from 1974 is probably too old and you don’t look like Chuck Norris any more.  No I can’t recommend a pic of Brian Murphy.  Yes you do look like him now.  No they don’t show George and Mildred in Ukraine.  Yes it was surprisingly popular in Spain.  Yes I know they called it Los Ropers.  Yes I know it’s dangerous in Pripyat.  Yes I am still going despite the dangers. No I don’t know if Tesco’s are there.  Or Wetherspoons.  Oh for fucks sake i’m not going.  

I got in a bit of a quiet strop on Saturday.  We were in the Arndale centre in Manchester, with daughter and her boyfriend and wife and me.

I see a levi shop. I said, "My work jeans are starting to look worn. I'll see if they've got the same again" 

Yes black.501s in 38 x 30. 

No I don't need to try them on. They will be my 4th identical pair. 

Wife insists that I try them then tells me they are too baggy around the ankles. They clearly fit perfectly. She gets some bloke to find me other black jeans. More expensive and not 501s.  They look.shit. 

Apparently I should buy them. I refuse. They don't have a button fly, the material isn't as soft. The fit on the arse is wrong. They are not what I know to be right. 

My whole life balance has been ripped from under me. 

I do have a bit of a grin.  Amazon has them. 25 quid cheaper and I can click and collect. I'll just buy them and start wearing them.  Nobody needs to know. 

35 minutes ago, New POD said:

Wife insists that I try them then tells me they are too baggy around the ankles. They clearly fit perfectly. She gets some bloke to find me other black jeans. More expensive and not 501s.  They look.shit. 

Apparently I should buy them. I refuse.

Isn’t this a classic example of “gas lighting”? 

I know it’s a fashionable phrase that has no place in common AS parlance, but it really does sound very much like it. 

You’ve sort of done the right thing IMHO. Buy them anyway. But you should tell her what you’ve done. 

53 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

I'm all for equal opportunities, but I can't believe visually impaired people are teaching their dogs to walk them out in the road as if they were a teenager on a mobile. 

That or I was being filmed for the latest hazard perception video. 

I used to work with a blind woman who had a guide dog, god knows how the thing ever passed his training, he would walk her in to every single solid object around, desks, door frames, random pillars...

One day the canteen were doing bangers and mash and he ran into the canteen at 100mph with her being dragged virtually horizontal in mid air behind him.

I spose what I'm trying to say is not all guide dogs are made equal

1 minute ago, fairkens said:

I used to work with a blind woman who had a guide dog, god knows how the thing ever passed his training, he would walk her in to every single solid object around, desks, door frames, random pillars...

That sounds like a dog getting its revenge. Quite what for, however, is another thing.....

6 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That sounds like a dog getting its revenge. Quite what for, however, is another thing.....

That was one working theory, the other was that instead of getting her a guide dog her relatives had just bought a black labrador and a harness and hoped for the best

6 hours ago, fairkens said:

One day the canteen were doing bangers and mash and he ran into the canteen at 100mph with her being dragged virtually horizontal in mid air behind him.

I spose what I'm trying to say is not all guide dogs are made equal

My parents have a (big) Lab that was bred as a guide dog.  He was medically retired early in his training because of a spinal embolism, was paralysed, recovered and is now fine.

He is, however, not the sharpest tool in the shed.  He's not 'thick'.  He's just 'a bit thick for a Lab'.  I don't think he would have been a terribly good guide dog - but he'd passed all the tests to start!

10 hours ago, New POD said:

I got in a bit of a quiet strop on Saturday.  We were in the Arndale centre in Manchester, with daughter and her boyfriend and wife and me.

I see a levi shop. I said, "My work jeans are starting to look worn. I'll see if they've got the same again" 

Apparently I should buy them. I refuse. They don't have a button fly, the material isn't as soft. The fit on the arse is wrong. They are not what I know to be right. 

I do have a bit of a grin.  Amazon has them. 25 quid cheaper and I can click and collect. I'll just buy them and start wearing them.  Nobody needs to know. 

Same here mate. It’s like living in 1950’s Russia, you are told what to think all the time. 

Good news!  What I thought might be a terminal failure on my other half's Focus was in fact the PAS hose suddenly splitting.  It turns out that the low oil level is merely coincidental... that needs looking at...

On the other hand, when it initially happened I did say that it sounded like the power steering pump.  So there's that.

Diagnosis?  I'm crap at diagnosing cars.  Garage can get it done by Thursday and whilst it's a bill, they've checked the car over and given it general approval.

The 1.4 Focus Studio that lived.  Although I need to see to the rust bubbles on the O/S wing.

I invested in 2 packets of Tescos gruns and when i got home threw out every sock . hanky or gruns that had a hole in them .... I now have underwear for every day of the month ..... The one on . one in the wash and one spare idea went awol ....

On 11/12/2019 at 6:25 AM, New POD said:

Sister in Law has had 2 guide dogs. She's  been run over by a bus. Both have been a little under trained. 

Maybe you're missing a trick here? Find the timetable for the 159, invite your missus to a fancy dress party, tell her she's going as Roy Orbison and lend her the dogs. Job jobbed. 

On 11/11/2019 at 9:35 PM, New POD said:

I have a similar problem with Mrs_Sterling. My style of clothing is all wrong, I don't look modern or stylish enough. Mind you I have seen photos taken and my style made me look like a worn-in drug user (old baggy trackies, ill-fitting jackets). Her idea of what I should would wear clashed with mine and we argued about this a few times. However, I have taken some tips from her and made it my own. My newer style of less baggy jeans and better fitting jackets is much better.

Well here we are six weeks from my car accident and the situation report update.

Other party admits liability, his insurer has car for a fortnight, finds loads more structural damage and declares it a write off.  Makes offer that doesn’t cover the outstanding pcp after early redemption penalties - having had the car three months that was inevitable.  They recommended going to my insurer as I have new for old cover in first three months.

My insurer won’t accept their assessment of the car being uneconomic to repair and so it is shifted to another shop “approved” by eSure.  This is a an old petrol station in Basildon with a shed out the back where the car sits in a muddy puddle in an insecure compound for another week.  These guys declare the car repairable and let on that the repair figure is 54% of the cars value,  at 55% it is a write off.  If I hadn’t paid extra for sat NAV, the repair cost  would have exceeded limits and it would have been declared a total loss.  However they also slip up by revealing salvage parts may be used where appropriate in order to keep costs down,

Complain to insurer who is adamant the work quality is superb, meet standards for uk repair shops etc.  Claims it is a superb garage but has never been there himself.  Don’t get me wrong, they are great panel beaters but when their main engineer rolls his eyes at the prospect of removing the dash and making sure it all works after I lost a lot of confidence.  And if anything doesn’t work after, like the auto wiper function the car has to Ben fixed by Brian out the back who has the big screwdriver.   

Then told it is standard practice to use salvage parts on repairs and my insurer can’t understand why I would want my car fixed with genuine parts.  I don’t fancy it being bits of crashed Mini with a blow over respray.  And I know Mrs P won’t use it anymore as she won’t trust it.  I also doubt this mob will reassemble it to factory  as the dash and screen have to come out, as does the front suspension to allow removal of the entire side panel.  In the factory this is done by laser guided robot, this lot have a mig welder and a tape measure.  

And the car will have a marker on it showing extensive repairs estimated to take at least six weeks. And that will fuck my pcp trade in figure as the garage isn’t Mini approved.

So have just insisted it has to go to the local Mini garage for an approved repair.  Insurer not happy as “They will be more expensive and they will write the car off” which is what I want them to do. 

I tell you what, dont ever let anyone crash into you.  The guy who hits me with his £500 Focus goes off and buys another.  His work is done.  I have had nothing but grief and shit and it seems to be never ending.  I can’t understand it, the other party admits liability, the insurer agrees and has stated in writing they are liable, their engineer writes the car off, but mine is determined to fix it on the cheap.  I don’t understand why they don’t just give me a cheque, claim it off the other party, and draw a line under it.

I certainly don’t see why I should end up with a patched up poorly aligned amalgamation of salvage parts on a three month old car.  Or am I being snooty and unreasonable?

Got a delivery email from Hermes about a camera I won on eBay. Sigh, ok.

So I arranged them to divert it to a neighbour. Email confirmation as well. 

Got an email today saying they had left it on my front porch. 

Check the Hermes app and it says it's not been delivered yet. 

I was really looking forward to that parcel too. 

1 hour ago, Parky said:

Well here we are six weeks from my car accident and the situation report update.

Other party admits liability, his insurer has car for a fortnight, finds loads more structural damage and declares it a write off.  Makes offer that doesn’t cover the outstanding pcp after early redemption penalties - having had the car three months that was inevitable.  They recommended going to my insurer as I have new for old cover in first three months.

My insurer won’t accept their assessment of the car being uneconomic to repair and so it is shifted to another shop “approved” by eSure.  This is a an old petrol station in Basildon with a shed out the back where the car sits in a muddy puddle in an insecure compound for another week.  These guys declare the car repairable and let on that the repair figure is 54% of the cars value,  at 55% it is a write off.  If I hadn’t paid extra for sat NAV, the repair cost  would have exceeded limits and it would have been declared a total loss.  However they also slip up by revealing salvage parts may be used where appropriate in order to keep costs down,

Complain to insurer who is adamant the work quality is superb, meet standards for uk repair shops etc.  Claims it is a superb garage but has never been there himself.  Don’t get me wrong, they are great panel beaters but when their main engineer rolls his eyes at the prospect of removing the dash and making sure it all works after I lost a lot of confidence.  And if anything doesn’t work after, like the auto wiper function the car has to Ben fixed by Brian out the back who has the big screwdriver.   

Then told it is standard practice to use salvage parts on repairs and my insurer can’t understand why I would want my car fixed with genuine parts.  I don’t fancy it being bits of crashed Mini with a blow over respray.  And I know Mrs P won’t use it anymore as she won’t trust it.  I also doubt this mob will reassemble it to factory  as the dash and screen have to come out, as does the front suspension to allow removal of the entire side panel.  In the factory this is done by laser guided robot, this lot have a mig welder and a tape measure.  

And the car will have a marker on it showing extensive repairs estimated to take at least six weeks. And that will fuck my pcp trade in figure as the garage isn’t Mini approved.

So have just insisted it has to go to the local Mini garage for an approved repair.  Insurer not happy as “They will be more expensive and they will write the car off” which is what I want them to do. 

I tell you what, dont ever let anyone crash into you.  The guy who hits me with his £500 Focus goes off and buys another.  His work is done.  I have had nothing but grief and shit and it seems to be never ending.  I can’t understand it, the other party admits liability, the insurer agrees and has stated in writing they are liable, their engineer writes the car off, but mine is determined to fix it on the cheap.  I don’t understand why they don’t just give me a cheque, claim it off the other party, and draw a line under it.

I certainly don’t see why I should end up with a patched up poorly aligned amalgamation of salvage parts on a three month old car.  Or am I being snooty and unreasonable?

Was you car an amalgam of scrap parts before the bump? Thought not.

Tell them to fuck off and go to the ombudsman. If your car had scrap parts fitted prior to the bump they would have adjusted their payout accordingly.

The oil I ordered eight days ago has not arrived. While I accept that there was an issue with the courier, the courier cannot be blamed for lack of communication from the seller. In future my local factor will get my business.

The passat chucked up some warning lights - battery was first port of call. 12.4 volts was low - lots of short trips with lights blower etc. on won't help. 14.2 volts with engine running - the battery and alternator are both less than two years old.

45 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Why does you other half ask you if your awake at 4 in the morning ...... 

Told her to go to sleep ...

ALWAYS ask if she's woken you up for a bit of hanky panky. If not, then why? 

Strangely your wife's sister woke me up at almost the same time and didn't want sex. I did ask if that was her reason, but no. Apparently not. She'd had worries. Wanted to tell me about them. My alarm went off at 5am and she was still telling me.

2 hours ago, Parky said:

Shitty situation. One point of note is that it won’t have any marker on it if they repair it - if they don’t get Stevie Wonder to paint it there will be no indication it has been repaired.