The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Rain, rain and more rain.

Currently have several local roads closed due to flooding, people stuck in Meadowhell (memories of 2007 and Air Sea Rescue helicopters being deployed) and several friends close to having to evacuate their houses just down the road.

This morning, Charlie (in his blue coat) and I went for a walk, 

IMG_20191107_105042.thumb.jpg.669afd86dac7c7446779b031a5d5d253.jpg

that's not a river we were walking past, that's usually a very dry footpath. That was almost 10 hours ago, my coat still isn't dry (neither is his) and it hasn't stopped raining, and isn't due to for at least another 7 hours!!!!!

5 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Rain, rain and more rain.

Currently have several local roads closed due to flooding, people stuck in Meadowhell (memories of 2007 and Air Sea Rescue helicopters being deployed) and several friends close to having to evacuate their houses just down the road.

This morning, Charlie (in his blue coat) and I went for a walk, 

IMG_20191107_105042.thumb.jpg.669afd86dac7c7446779b031a5d5d253.jpg

that's not a river we were walking past, that's usually a very dry footpath. That was almost 10 hours ago, my coat still isn't dry (neither is his) and it hasn't stopped raining, and isn't due to for at least another 7 hours!!!!!

I blame all those shite cars on the road , if everyone had bought a nissan leaf on day one none of this would be happening and if it did we could use all the dead batteries like sandbags 

It's all our fault 

How does the water know where to go to avoid trees? Baffled by nature, it's like it's done that for years.

That aside, I used to live in a small village triangulated by 1 large and 2 small rivers. Our house was about 200+ years old as were the neighbours houses until a few doors down and then you had 3 rather plush 60's bungalow efforts. You can guess who got flooded everytime it rained a bit.

The river authority who's name escapes me were forever trying to modify and improve the rivers with the same result everytime, maybe even making it worse. I mean, sometimes people have just got to admit that thier house was built in a fucking stupid place!

My grump today is public transport- trains. I do it every time... Sit by the window leaving myself open to some random to park their arse next to me- why!?!

35 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Ah, but when the planning department is influenced by the developer, things can be built seemingly anywhere. 

Absolutely, which is why a fair few people last night around here were again reminded that building a housing estate on a flood plain at the bottom of the valley, near a river, was errrr, fooooking stupid.

Sounds like the flood plain at Cookham. There's a main road that runs over it and the fields are always underwater after about August, yet there's always a planning application for the land floating about. Soon it won't get declined and they'll put 90 houses on it

Loads of expensive houses in Marlow flooded a while back

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/17495374.catastrophic-marlow-floods-could-have-been-prevented-if-defences-were-built-earlier/

However my stepdad always says he remembers when those houses weren't there and it was just the muddy edge of the thames, then laughs... I skip dove loads of damp vacs during the aftermath too...

3 hours ago, BoggyMires said:

My grump today is public transport- trains. I do it every time... Sit by the window leaving myself open to some random to park their arse next to me- why!?!

Why? Because its public transport of course, you get one seat (if you are lucky) hope this clears that one up for you :D

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Sounds like the flood plain at Cookham. There's a main road that runs over it and the fields are always underwater after about August, yet there's always a planning application for the land floating about. Soon it won't get declined and they'll put 90 houses on it

Loads of expensive houses in Marlow flooded a while back

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/17495374.catastrophic-marlow-floods-could-have-been-prevented-if-defences-were-built-earlier/

However my stepdad always says he remembers when those houses weren't there and it was just the muddy edge of the thames, then laughs... I skip dove loads of damp vacs during the aftermath too...

seabreeze_wide_560.jpg

Grandmother Fumbler's Rav4 battery fucked itself after a passenger door was left open last Thursday. Battery rendered completely flat, managed to overflow, corrode the holder etc.

AA called as Grandmother pays for them. AA comes over, jumps battery, turns off car, I attempt to start, only to find that the starter motor won't even budge. AA man says its fucked and then tells me he doesn't have the battery in his van and that he won't be able to get one tonight.

I said okay as we'll jump it with the Land Cruiser if necessary. AA leaves. Grandmother then says the batter was fitted by the AA last year. How she kills the DMF, clutch and battery in that car I'll never know. She'll call AA tomorrow and they should repair for free.

12 minutes ago, jamiechod said:

Fuck sake! Anyone reckon it's worth appealing this? I was eating a kfc in the dark and I was there fourteen bastard minutes ?

20191108_195558.jpg

Its up to you, I deal with these guys every day as I manage a large property in the Lakes and have engaged them to manage the carpark because of the amount of nuisance parkers we get, they don't fuck around and will eventually take you to court if you refuse to pay (rightly or wrongly I'm not getting into that debate) I personally hate them, and it pisses me off that I have to use them but ignorance is no defence, if there were signs up then it's not wise to park there.

I live on a private road very, very close to a shopping centre. Countless numbers of people think it’s acceptable to park/wait on the road despite numerous signs telling them otherwise.

Private parking firms are a nuisance (and the one used here is SHIT) but they’re also sadly necessary. 

ParkingEye are very, very good at chasing people and are more than willing to go to court etc. I’d pay. 

1 hour ago, Kiltox said:

I live on a private road very, very close to a shopping centre. Countless numbers of people think it’s acceptable to park/wait on the road despite numerous signs telling them otherwise.

Private parking firms are a nuisance (and the one used here is SHIT) but they’re also sadly necessary. 

ParkingEye are very, very good at chasing people and are more than willing to go to court etc. I’d pay. 

I agree (sadly).

ParkingEye were willing to take one case all the way up to the UK Supreme Court: See ParkingEye Limited v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 .... and they won. Must have been expensive, (I would have thought legal costs into the hundreds of thousands of Pounds) both for ParkingEye and Mr Beavis. All over 85 Pounds? If that's not doing things "For the principle of the matter", (from the perspective of ParkingEye) I'm not sure what is. 

1 hour ago, TooManyPeopleMovers said:

I agree (sadly).

ParkingEye were willing to take one case all the way up to the UK Supreme Court: See ParkingEye Limited v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67 .... and they won. Must have been expensive, (I would have thought legal costs into the hundreds of thousands of Pounds) both for ParkingEye and Mr Beavis. All over 85 Pounds? If that's not doing things "For the principle of the matter", (from the perspective of ParkingEye) I'm not sure what is. 

Mr Beavis, much as we might admire his principles, is an excellent example of why you shouldn't let matters slip into the regular Court system.

There is a parking appeals process; make use of that first. 

@jamiechod you were in the car right? If the car was running then I believe it was legally not 'parked' (traffic wardens cannot stick a ticket on you if you are on a double yellow but in the drivers seat with the car running). Maybe you could appeal on the basis you were actually just driving reeeealy slowly?

Cheers guys, I have paid numerous parking eye tickets before, never assumed it was a case of throwing it in the bin I just know sometimes you get like 10 minutes Grace for looking for a parking space etc? As DJIm says I was in the car the whole time. 

I might appeal it but fuck Letting it go up from 60 to 100 so I'll see what crack is.

Thanks, Jamie 

3 hours ago, jamiechod said:

Fuck sake! Anyone reckon it's worth appealing this? I was eating a kfc in the dark and I was there fourteen bastard minutes ?

20191108_195558.jpg

interesting to see that it looks like they may be getting Model info from the VIN number

it would be interesting to trigger a parking charge with something really obscure, and see how badly you can break their system :) 

(especially if it ends up saying "vehicle Model: Unknown" because then you could argue that you dont own an "Unknown" so it cant be you! LOL)

Just now, LightBulbFun said:

interesting to see that it looks like they may be getting Model info from the VIN number

it would be interesting to trigger a parking charge with something really obscure, and see how badly you can break their system :) 

(especially if it ends up saying "vehicle Model: Unknown" because then you could argue that you dont own an "Unknown" so it cant be you! LOL)

You mean drive 4 invacars and a milk float and an Umm there and see what the paperwork looks like? 

If you get @dollywobbler to film it at least the video revenue will pay for the fines! 

1 minute ago, beko1987 said:

You mean drive 4 invacars and a milk float and an Umm there and see what the paperwork looks like? 

If you get @dollywobbler to film it at least the video revenue will pay for the fines! 

haha yeah exactly :mrgreen: 

im also curious how they got @jamiechod address with the whole GDPR thing!

2 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

haha yeah exactly :mrgreen: 

im also curious how they got @jamiechod address with the whole GDPR thing!

Hmm yeah does beg the question! 

I think parking companies have that thing with the dvla where they pay x amount for a genuine reason to contact the owner or some bullshit. 

Found this thread on MSE where someone appealed for exactly same amount of time as me and won (14 minutes being a period of grace, no loss to the land owner etc) 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4735276&page=2#topofpage

Nowt to loose I guess? 

9 minutes ago, jamiechod said:
13 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

Hmm yeah does beg the question! 

I think parking companies have that thing with the dvla where they pay x amount for a genuine reason to contact the owner or some bullshit

I have heard of that yeah but still not sure if  it is GDPR friendly still LOL

but im a bit curious from the invacar side of things

theres a few invacars whos keepers or last recorded keepers id like to make contact with!